Metal Storm logo
5 Best New Bands You Discovered in 2010

19.01.2011 - 18:12
PrimalAntagonist
Account deleted
As much as 2010 sucked, i got a lot of experience on how bands evolve.Yes, somehow all my most
expected bands failed miserably. But I discovered a lot of awesome new bands. The top 5 among them are

1.Viraemia
2.Cloudkicker
3.Salome
4.Rings Of Saturn
5.aTelecine

So what are your top 5 discoveries of 2010 that shattered your existing collection?
20.01.2011 - 00:23
ANGEL REAPER
1.hellhammer
2.Split Beaver
3.Zaklana Cheljad
Not many bands,even these are from 80s except are zaklana cheljad,they are from 2005 or so...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.01.2011 - 00:27
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Good thread idea. kudos.

completely new to me:

1. Dukatalon (psychedelic sludge)
2. Eibon (doomsludge)
3. Fungoid Stream (doom meets nature channel... it has a freaking whalesong incorporated, successfully, into the album Oceanus)
4. Ortega (dutch Nautik sludge doom)
5. Ufomammut (psychedelic fuzzed out sludgy stoner)

I guess Ufomammut isn't "new", but 2010 marked the first time i checked them out. same goes for Bison BC and Torche.

the rest, to the best of my knowledge are relative "noobs" with only 1-2 albums under their belts.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.01.2011 - 02:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
I know some of these aren't "new" but like Bitter I recently discovered them:

Barren Earth (Melo/Prog)
Jakob (Post/Instrumental)
Fading Waves (Post/Ambiant)
----
rekt
20.01.2011 - 02:51
Metallicazoom
I don't look for new bands usually but recently I discovered a band "Lethian Dreams ". I prefer oldies the most

Best regards,

Syrian Dio
----
There's no greater sorrow, than recall happiness in times of misery ......
20.01.2011 - 02:56
Sonic MrSumo
1. The Bouncing Souls (punk)
2. Ensiferum (viking folk)
3. The Coral (psychedelic indie pop)
4. Genghis Tron (cyber mathcore)
----
All the bridges in the world won't save you, if there's no other side to cross to.
- Rock poetry from Silverchair.
20.01.2011 - 03:32
Vikcen
Metálico
1. Ensiferum (Folk/Viking Metal)
2. Wintersun (Melodic death/Power metal)
3. Angelus Apatrida (Thrash Metal)
4. Soulitude (Power Metal)
5. Melechesh (Folk/Black Metal)
20.01.2011 - 04:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Vikcen on 20.01.2011 at 03:32

wirdest post ever, those bands you shood know long ago
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.01.2011 - 04:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Me well, there many many to post it could be 300 even more and I dont remeber all so, many USA bands since im looking in MA USA bands, so there a lot of in every genre what I discovere, no names to hard for me
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.01.2011 - 04:21
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Bad English on 20.01.2011 at 04:13

Written by Vikcen on 20.01.2011 at 03:32

wirdest post ever, those bands you shood know long ago

Well, all these bands are new to me that i discovered in 2010 =) .
20.01.2011 - 05:26
Kratos
I don't think 2010 sucked album wise, I did find like always lots of new bands
1. Echoes
2. Place Of Skulls
3. Whispered
4. King Of Asgard
5. Colosseum
Not all the bands are new, but just the ones I have found in 2010.
20.01.2011 - 13:12
2010 sucked? New to me too

My discovery of the year was definitely SIGH, though they are far beyond being a new band. As for (more or less) new bands:

1. Barren Earth
2. Alcest
3. Kvelertak!!
4. Solution .45
5. Triosphere
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
20.01.2011 - 18:05
IronAngel
I didn't make many metal discoveries in 2010. Sleeping Peonies, Kvelertak, Year Of No Light and Hooded Menace, maybe. Because you asked for five, I guess I rediscovered Enslaved. Outside metal though, the greatest discoveries were Owen Pallett and Susanne Sundfor (also the best artists of the year, along with Peter Broderick).
20.01.2011 - 19:32
ForeverDarkWoods
Dunno about five, but there's Satan's Satyrs. Top notch stuff.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
20.01.2011 - 22:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Some of these bands didn't release anything in 2010, but this was the year I became aware of them. The first 2 I discovered doing reviews for Diminished 5th records, Children I discovered because it has members of a no defunct Vancouver band I really like. Armour because of Lucas, and The Knell I bought from a friend who runs his own distro.

1. Mares Of Thrace
2. Rusted Dawn
3. Children
4. Armour
5. The Knell
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.01.2011 - 23:33
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
2010 was amazing. Anyone who thinks it sucks obviously wasn't looking hard enough. I had waaaay more than 5 I wanted to list here so tried to make it an assortment of top bands from several styles.

Random order, some top new and new-to-me choices were:

Torche (Fun sludge. Think about that one....)
Sky Architect (This prog metal/prog rock is a bit quirky and highly addictive)
Akelei (Some of the most beautiful doom I've ever heard)
The Murder of My Sweet (Unabashed, bright pink, bubble gum symphonic metal - yet somehow ass kickingly brilliant and interesting)
Les Discrets (They've spun a web of post-black metal for you to lose yourself in)

I'm glad to see some other people mention Echoes and Place Of Skulls. Good choices
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
20.01.2011 - 23:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Susan on 20.01.2011 at 23:33

2010 was amazing. Anyone who thinks it sucks obviously wasn't looking hard enough.

I looked plenty! Ok, I wouldn't say 2010 "sucked", but there wasn't too much that stuck out for me. Following the staff recommendations didn't prove to be enough. I had a small handful that I'll be listening to for years to come, but relatively speaking, 2010 left me fairly unenthused. 2011 looks pretty darned good though, already have 34 on my wishlist, and that's not including bands I have yet to discover this year.
----
- George Carlin
20.01.2011 - 23:50
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Doc G. on 20.01.2011 at 23:41

2010 was amazing. Anyone who thinks it sucks obviously wasn't looking hard enough.

I looked plenty! Ok, I wouldn't say 2010 "sucked", but there wasn't too much that stuck out for me. Following the staff recommendations didn't prove to be enough. I had a small handful that I'll be listening to for years to come, but relatively speaking, 2010 left me fairly unenthused. 2011 looks pretty darned good though, already have 34 on my wishlist, and that's not including bands I have yet to discover this year.

The way i interpret 2010 is basically this - it wasn't nearly as top-heavy as 2009, but in doing my top list, i found that i had a slew of albums rated between 7.5 and 8.5 or so... something like 30 albums i can honestly say i like a good deal. i had intended on doing 10-12 or so, as always, but couldn't ignore that many enjoyable "second tier" albums and made a top 25 list. (and I still left off Ortega by stupidity and Sleestak) that's not too shabby in my eyes.

but everyone has their own tastes.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.01.2011 - 23:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BitterCOld on 20.01.2011 at 23:50

The way i interpret 2010 is basically this - it wasn't nearly as top-heavy as 2009, but in doing my top list, i found that i had a slew of albums rated between 7.5 and 8.5 or so... something like 30 albums i can honestly say i like a good deal. i had intended on doing 10-12 or so, as always, but couldn't ignore that many enjoyable "second tier" albums and made a top 25 list. that's not too shabby in my eyes.

I guess thats the best way I can sum it up as well. 2009 had a bunch of what are probably going to become my all time favs, where as 2010 had tons and tons of mid-ranged stuff...Once again, all down to opinion, I'm sure there's a few people here who would disagree.
----
- George Carlin
21.01.2011 - 02:18
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Written by BitterCOld on 20.01.2011 at 23:50

The way i interpret 2010 is basically this - it wasn't nearly as top-heavy as 2009, but in doing my top list, i found that i had a slew of albums rated between 7.5 and 8.5 or so... something like 30 albums i can honestly say i like a good deal. i had intended on doing 10-12 or so, as always, but couldn't ignore that many enjoyable "second tier" albums and made a top 25 list. (and I still left off Ortega by stupidity and Sleestak) that's not too shabby in my eyes.

Good point. Not necessarily as many PERFECT albums as one might like, but lots of pretty good and enjoyable, and lots of releases from bands who are definitely on my radar now. It's because of this that I enjoyed this year in metal so much: fun new sounds!
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
21.01.2011 - 03:09
FoolsuchasI
COFFINWORM
SYSTEM DIVIDE
BISON B.C.
NEUROMIST
COLD CAVE (Not metal, but a great new discovery!)
21.01.2011 - 03:56
Kennoth
Its been a fruitful year.

1. Scar Symmetry
2. The Foreshadowing
3. Amon Amarth (naturally that I've heard of them before, but never listened)
4. Mirrorthrone
5. The Agonist (I THINK it wasn't 2009. I started listening to them)
----
*insert something deep and profound*
22.05.2012 - 23:33
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
1. Enslaved (Cannot believe I hadn't heard of them before)
2. Dreams Of Sanity
3. Cain's Offering
4. Dan Swanö
5. Iron Fire