Metal Storm logo
This is where to find post/sludge/atmospheric metal suggestions

Original post

Posted by Deadsoulman, 13.05.2011 - 12:48
I see no one has mentioned Black Shape Of Nexus. Absolutely crushing, utterly riff-based sludge (except the Microbarome Meetings album which is pure drone) from Germany. They have a couple of releases available for download on their website, especially the Live in Mannheim tape is devastating. I've given a shot to pretty much their whole discography and you can't go wrong with these guys.
05.01.2012 - 02:50
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by (((O))) on 02.01.2012 at 14:26

On the topic of Junius, has anyone heard the Junius/Rosetta split? Rosetta's side of the split was kinda disappointing but I really liked Junius. Especially this track, it's great.

yea i like it...TMA-3 is typical Rosetta stuff. That's not a bad thing, I love their formula!
----
rekt
05.01.2012 - 03:00
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by IronAngel on 02.01.2012 at 14:15

Written by tea[m]ster on 30.12.2011 at 02:59

Here are a few more I have uncovered recently. I will not post links, google is your best friend! Heck, some of these may be on this website

Junius - Reports From The Threshold Of Death

Yes, this album is so good. It's really strange too, like a mixture of heavy post-rock/atmosludge, and shameless alt-rock anthems. So many big vocal hooks, but such a rich and interesting sound. I really recommend it to those who haven't heard it. Something a little similar, but not as heavy or catchy, is Laura's Twelve Hundred Times.

Didn't know the other ones (except Oceansize, but only casually). I'll look them up, thanks.

I'll see if I can dig up that Laura suggestion...

I have been listening to a TON of music lately, mostly in the post metal/sludge/atmo catagory so if you want some more recs I will post!

Also, one genre I am new to but not sure if I'm on board is post-hardcore. I am digging Amia Venera Landscape and I also just listened to Young And In The Way - I Am Not What I Am
Do you have any other recs in this catagory?
----
rekt
05.01.2012 - 03:10
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Guest on 02.01.2012 at 14:28

Written by (((O))) on 02.01.2012 at 14:26

On the topic of Junius, has anyone heard the Junius/Rosetta split? Rosetta's side of the split was kinda disappointing but I really liked Junius. Especially this track, it's great.

I haven't been as impressed with them in recent years though but I'll give the new one a shot.

awww...their recent is awesome! check out IronAngels brief summary a couple of posts ago...it's a perfect description!
----
rekt
06.01.2012 - 05:32
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

another good one from 2011
----
rekt
06.01.2012 - 06:04
The Turbanator
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.01.2012 at 05:32

Very nice. Beautiful album cover as well.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
07.01.2012 - 05:51
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Anyone seeking atmosphere needs to stop what they're doing and listen to Sleestak - The Fall of Altrusia. Click here for their bandcamp page, featuring the first two tracks or click here for their ReverbNation page featuring the first three. I'm completely overwhelmed by the beauty and awesomeness of this slow and gripping psychedelic, stoner/doom masterpiece.

Seriously, there might be drool soon if I'm not careful. I didn't see them listed in this thread and it's like THE perfect thread to list such a band. Go enjoy.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.01.2012 - 00:29
The Turbanator
Written by Susan on 07.01.2012 at 05:51

Anyone seeking atmosphere needs to stop what they're doing and listen to Sleestak - The Fall of Altrusia. Click here for their bandcamp page, featuring the first two tracks or click here for their ReverbNation page featuring the first three. I'm completely overwhelmed by the beauty and awesomeness of this slow and gripping psychedelic, stoner/doom masterpiece.

Seriously, there might be drool soon if I'm not careful. I didn't see them listed in this thread and it's like THE perfect thread to list such a band. Go enjoy.

OH. MY. GOD.

Thank you very much for this! They sound alot like Isis. BTW, their The Marshall Plan track is awesome. Sadly no link on Youtube.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
08.01.2012 - 16:26
Vombatus
Potorro
Don't know if mentioned, but The Body does some interesting stuff, vocals are lovely:

08.01.2012 - 23:41
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

A one man band from Russia...yes I am Fading Waves shill
----
rekt
20.01.2012 - 03:58
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor

Seattle post metal FTW!
----
rekt
20.01.2012 - 04:29
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by tea[m]ster on 06.01.2012 at 05:32

this is really good, I would love to listen to the whole album.
20.01.2012 - 22:24
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Quote:
Written by Guest on 20.01.2012 at 04:29

this is really good, I would love to listen to the whole album.

http://sleepstream-music.bandcamp.com/
----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 15:12
*Shels!!!

21.01.2012 - 18:48
mcneely
Is there any post/sludge/atmospheric/doom songs with a thunderstorm in the background though the entire song? I have been looking around and haven't found any. I'd prefered 10+ minutes, but whatever. Thank you for who ever does find it.
21.01.2012 - 19:43
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by Merchant of Doom on 21.01.2012 at 15:12

*Shels!!!

yep, good stuff indeed
----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 19:45
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My post rock album of the year for 2011:

----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 19:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My sludge metal album of the year 2011:

----
rekt
21.01.2012 - 20:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
My post metal album of the year 2011:

----
rekt
22.01.2012 - 19:03
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Post metal ala Isis from Spain...good shit

----
rekt
24.01.2012 - 02:05
IronAngel
Written by tea[m]ster on 05.01.2012 at 03:00

Also, one genre I am new to but not sure if I'm on board is post-hardcore. I am digging Amia Venera Landscape and I also just listened to Young And In The Way - I Am Not What I Am
Do you have any other recs in this catagory?

Sorry for late response, I noticed it when you posted but kinda forgot about it as I didn't immediately have much to say.

I don't know the genre too well, I think most of it has been pretty radio-friendly teenager music. But there's good stuff there too, of course. I'll also throw in some screamo recommendations, because it's very close to post-hardcore and the genre discussed here, and I've had more luck in that field. And frankly, I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as post-hardcore.

Rinoa
Envy
Devil Sold His Soul
Pianos Become The Teeth
Pageninetynine (sometimes spelled Pg.99 or something)
Maths
Carpathian
Majority Rule
Funeral Diner
Touché Amoré
Thrice
La Dispute
Defeater
Ampere
Gospel
I Would Set Myself On Fire For You
A Cold Dead Body
Poison The Well
At The Drive-In (maybe a bit too radio-friendly for me, same with Poison The Well)

Then there's older stuff like Unwound and Fugazi (their Repeater is a bit of a classic, I think), but not really familiar with what happened in the 90s and earlier.

If you're not afraid of going into more alt-rock territory, the latest album "No Devolución" from Thursday is brilliant. One of my favorite albums of 2011, such solid songwriting. If you like them, you might want to try Thrice whom I also mentioned (but don't like nearly as much). And on that note, I think Hum are considered somewhat post-hardcore too. Their 1997 classic Downward Is Heavenward is rather good, but maybe not your cup of tea.
24.01.2012 - 11:29
The Turbanator
@ tea[m]ster

Very nice choices man. Hull is indeed great. I'll check the others in a bit. Looking forward for more recommendations from you.
----
25.01.2012 - 02:35
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Quote:
Written by IronAngel on 24.01.2012 at 02:05

Sorry for late response, I noticed it when you posted but kinda forgot about it as I didn't immediately have much to say.

Thanks for the recs IronAngel. I'll be sure to check them out. Rinoa and Hum I already have, good suggestions there. Btw, check out my new list:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2007&page=&message_id=
----
rekt
25.01.2012 - 02:38
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by The Turbanator on 24.01.2012 at 11:29

@ tea[m]ster

Very nice choices man. Hull is indeed great. I'll check the others in a bit. Looking forward for more recommendations from you.

Thanks man. I love sharing terrific music discoveries with my fellow metal-heads! I created a "best of" 2011, check it out here:

http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2007&page=&message_id=
----
rekt
25.01.2012 - 03:40
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Old but good...

----
rekt
25.01.2012 - 18:36
The Turbanator
Written by tea[m]ster on 25.01.2012 at 03:40

Old but good...

Yeah this album is great. Checking out your list now. Already loving Dirge and Jet Plane. Neila as well. Like you said, sounds similar to Isis.
----
26.01.2012 - 03:37
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Written by The Turbanator on 25.01.2012 at 18:36

Yeah this album is great. Checking out your list now. Already loving Dirge and Jet Plane. Neila as well. Like you said, sounds similar to Isis.

Alot of good stuff on that list. Thanks for checking it out. Stayed tuned for more recs!
----
rekt
29.01.2012 - 23:09
The Turbanator
Sleestak has released a new album! Must have for all post metal fans. Fantastic band.

http://sleestak.bandcamp.com/album/altrusian-moon-a-lo-fi-collection-of-psychedelia-and-space-rock
----
01.02.2012 - 09:15
The Turbanator
Progressive Post Metal :

----
02.02.2012 - 04:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
More Isis sounding stuff...not bad either:

----
rekt
02.02.2012 - 23:14
baldur
Nothing compares to isis!