Metal Storm logo
Favourite Metal Subgenre

Original post

Posted by Daru Jericho, 17.05.2006 - 23:37
So what's your favourite metal subgenre? Mine is progressive metal; love it's creativity and with lengthy songs it gives the artists enough time to produce a lot of diversity within a track. Most of the time the musicians are highly skilled as well as being able to combine emotion into their music. Additionally, I find that this genre of music can be very experimental at times.

Btw, if your favourite genre is not on the poll it's because I didn't have enough space to put it on. So click other and say what your favourite genre is.

Poll

What is yoir favourite metal subgenre?

Death Metal
Black Metal
Thrash Metal
Power Metal
Other (please specify)
Progressive Metal
Folk/Viking Metal
Heavy Metal
Gothic Metal

Total votes: 535
03.05.2008 - 15:38
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
its so nice that i cant Choose Doom !! which Black Sabbath's first albums were more like Doom!
22.05.2008 - 18:16
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
is it possible to negate the vote and vote again, cuz i voted for viking now i want to vote for black...
22.05.2008 - 18:31
Silent_wolfer
Power metal for me cause that's what i'm mostly in to.
22.05.2008 - 22:09
immaculate
Account deleted
Death metal is the only acceptable path.
23.05.2008 - 00:41
Ka Tet
Death Metal.

I like something from almost all those subgenres, but I've listened to death metal the most and probably will the longest.
23.05.2008 - 09:18
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
i cant let the flower to have more votes than black
23.05.2008 - 16:32
Warman
Erotic Stains
Dream Theater, Rush and Devil Doll has completely changed my opinion. I still love Black Metal just as much... no, more. But damn, long Progressive stuff beats everything!
----
23.05.2008 - 17:14
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
long progressive stuff - Burzum (album Hvis Lyset Tar Oss) so black beats everything althought every genre except power(new) is worth listening
24.05.2008 - 00:00
Freezer
Strange, there's no Doom metal XD I think I voted for power in this poll, I don't remember now :p
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
24.05.2008 - 00:52
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
duum only misses so we have 35 duum votes.
24.05.2008 - 11:23
vatro
Account deleted
Voted for progressive because it's interesting any player can show his skills
24.05.2008 - 14:08
TheBigRossowski
I'm suprised so many people voted for Power metal! (?) WOW! To each his own...

One needs only to look at my profile and collection and know which one I would pick. Black metal is by far my favorite genre! It has everything I need musically, lyrically (sometimes). Even my wife said that she likes black metal more because there seems to be more "feeling" put into it rather than straight death metal.

Just listen to "Carved in Stigmata Wounds" and maybe you'll join the dark side...
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
24.05.2008 - 14:41
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.05.2008 at 14:08

I'm suprised so many people voted for Power metal!

me too it is shit

and isnt it too early to have a wife when oyu are 20
24.05.2008 - 17:55
Warman
Erotic Stains

I'm not, I see you're new here but there's a lot of Melodic Metal fans here.
----
25.05.2008 - 10:49
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
black needs 1 vote and then 2 most powerful genres(along with doom) will be the first
25.05.2008 - 11:11
Hamird
Lieutenant
why there is no Industrial metal? because i enjoy Industrial metal as my first favorite genre. then black metal is the second genre in my list...
25.05.2008 - 13:45
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I voted thrash. A lot of my favorites are thrash metal bands. For me it's just the most powerful genre.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
25.05.2008 - 22:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hamird on 25.05.2008 at 11:11

why there is no Industrial metal? because i enjoy Industrial metal as my first favorite genre. then black metal is the second genre in my list...

Then easyer are open fan industrial subgenre poll, because ind. black, ind. death, and so on
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
26.05.2008 - 14:38
Freezer

One needs only to look at my profile and collection and know which one I would pick. Black metal is by far my favorite genre! It has everything I need musically, lyrically (sometimes). Even my wife said that she likes black metal more because there seems to be more "feeling" put into it rather than straight death metal.

Just listen to "Carved in Stigmata Wounds" and maybe you'll join the dark side...
well, it's not that shocking. Power is probably the most widespread metal genre after Heavy, so a lot of people "start" with it. Moreover, you have to consider the fact that not everyone looks for "raw violence" and scream/growl vocals, metal is not only that
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
01.09.2008 - 03:14
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
A few years ago I chose folk metal, but I was young and impressed by novel things. Objectively I think Heavy Metal is the best, and heres why:

Compared many other subgenres heavy metal (and more specifically old school heavy metal), relies 100% on riff writing skills. While many bands from other genres use silly things like synths to make their music interesting, while bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, Dio, Black Sabbath etc. are having their riffs recycled by countless new bands these days, it just goes to show how creative these guys were.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.09.2008 - 17:50
juanopereira
I love power metal, but my favorite band is Iron Maiden (heavy)
05.09.2008 - 18:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Voted for other since Doom metal and Black are both amaizing for me. I can't vote for just one of them
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.09.2008 - 19:45
-Soulreaper-
I guess it would have to be death because that is what I find myself listening to the most these day, although I like alot of stuff from the other genres. Especially Black Metal, Folk/Viking, Thrash, and Power Metal.
08.09.2008 - 23:44
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...i already voted here but definitely death metal is the best
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
09.09.2008 - 00:33
Janne
Hugin
C'mon folk metallers! Vote or we'll loose! I also like and listen to many power metal bands but definetely folk is my favourite!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
09.09.2008 - 01:13
Elio
Red Nightmare
I won't vote cause my fav genre can change...there's not one that I like most...Death, Power, Prog, Thrash and Folk/Viking are my fav. Then Doom, Black, Gothic, Heavy, Grind.
I have to admit that atm Folk would get my vote.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
09.09.2008 - 01:44
brapp32
Definetely nu-metal/metalcore. I know those aren't the 2 most popular genres around here but it's what I've always liked ever since I got back into heavier music when I was 16. Only recently have I gotten into Metalcore and I only really like a handful of bands. I don't really consider bands like dry kill logic,lamb of god and chimaira Metalcore. I haven't had many different ways to find new music besides a jersey college radio station and the metal channel on cable. So I just pretty much stuck with bands I always listened and people who toured with them or bands that broke up and started new ones. I can listen to anything metal but probally 95 percent of my CDs fall in those genres.
15.09.2008 - 03:16
necrovamp
can i ahve blackend folk? folk ill have to go with with power taking 2nd and black taking 3rd
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
15.09.2008 - 13:00
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
hard to say...it depends on my mood, but in general i can say 1.Black 2.Death 3.Heavy 4.....
so i voted Black.
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
16.09.2008 - 09:56
Hrothdane
Hmm...this will be a hard one...power?
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades