Poll

Who do you prefer?

Blind Guardian
Helloween

Total votes: 274
18.05.2006 - 00:36
Baz Anderson
Staff
The last time I made this poll I found it very intersting indeed watching the percentages change. Helloween seemed to be getting closer and closer to Blind Guardian as time went on.

If there is to be a discussion between the best two power metal bands - then surely it will be these two.
The first band that should pop to mind when you think of power metal should be Helloween, but Blind Guardian have carved their way into power metal history as well.

A few years ago, I would have claimed Blind Guardian to be my favorite band - but then I got into Helloween and I have been rather obsessed by them since. Which other band has something as amusing as a pumpkin acting various things in various places? haha
Blind Guardian seem a lot more fantasy oriented where Helloween are more traditional heavy metal oriented, but both are fantastic bands.
I would say Helloween were my favorite, of course - but I am still very interested as to see how the votes will go this time - maybe we will be a little surprised, who knows.

But whatever your opinion on these two bands, let us hear what you have to say.

Thanks!
18.05.2006 - 00:52
IceWeasy
Account deleted
Well.... i voted for Helloween. Cause Helloween is better than BG in my humbly opinion, tho BG aint bad band at all, just out of these two i would prefere Helloween that's it.

18.05.2006 - 05:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
helloween.....no particular reason, they just seem more memorable
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.05.2006 - 13:20
Stigmatized
Blind Guardian. Helloween, for some reason, has never been my thing. I'm a big fan, however, of the ever consistent Blind Guardian. Plus, they have Hansi (as I've said before).
18.05.2006 - 13:22
Eight
Shapeshifter
Blind Guardian doubtless for me, never got into Helloween.
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
18.05.2006 - 23:52
Talvi
Well, last time I voted Blind Guardian without even thinking about it, because it was one of the first bands I began listening... but lately I've been in love with Helloween, specially old Helloween, Walls and Keepers II (just see my last.fm stats... Helloween is my top band!), and I don't know if I should vote my actual favorite or my old very best favorite... so... what I should vote? What I like more subjectively or who I think are the best objectively?
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
19.05.2006 - 22:01
Baz Anderson
Staff
a year ago or whatever - i would have voted for Blind Guardian as well - but then Helloween became my favorite band from out of nowhere
you should vote for who you like more and who entertains you more - i think Blind Guardian are probably better musically, but Helloween will always be my number one pick because of everything that goes with the name Helloween - all the pumpkins and fun and whatever else

im glad Helloween are winning so far - even though there hasnt been a lot of people yet, maybe i was right in saying we might be surprised with the result
20.05.2006 - 04:05
Avenant
Profane Seraph
Blind guardian, to me, the gods of power metal. Although I think some of Helloween's stuff is exceptional, and they were one of my first bands - but I think they have a lot of weak songs as well and that I find discouraging.
20.05.2006 - 04:35
vallhalen
Account deleted
i like both but i voted for Helloween (they're my favorite band among all metal). i don't like they're lastest works, but we can't forgot the masterpieces made by Kiske, Weikath and Hansen. wish they join again to show us what can be maded with talent, charisma and some pumpkin juice
20.05.2006 - 04:58
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Helloween are for too inconsistant for me, i mean look at their albums, how many songs are bad... alot, ive even heard big Helloween fans say they have a lot of bad songs. They certainly have great songs too, but way to many weak ones, whereas as Blind Guardian haw fewer, and i enjoy every album.
20.05.2006 - 15:32
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh - you see i dont really think people can proclaim themselves 'true' (for want of a better word) Helloween fans if they only like them because of their 'Keeper Of The Seven Keys' albums - or dont like the newer stuff so just try to forget it
if you are going to be a fan of a band, i think you should like the new stuff the band is making - else there is going to be nothing else apart from a few albums they have listened to a million times before
21.05.2006 - 14:59
Daru Jericho
I'm a little surprised to see Helloween winning!

Helloween all the way. They were one of my first power metal bands and I still love them. They remain one of my favourite bands. They're funny and don't take themselves too seriously. They also had Hansen and Kiske, two amazing musicians.

I love Blind Guardian, though IMO they don't seem to vary their musical style much anymore. Hansi's vocals are not as good as Kiske or even Hansen's were. They are probably the more tanelnted musicians, as someone said, and maybe even more creative, utilizing different techniques in their music but not even Nightfall In Middle-earth can match up to Keeper Of The Seven Keys, Pt II.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.05.2006 - 17:38
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Like both but prefer Blind Guardian. Their music is just more catchy and so are their lyrics
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
21.05.2006 - 18:53
Baz Anderson
Staff
GT: Helloween have a lot of very catchy songs though - what about them??

Daru Jericho: yeh, it was all going so well - it is six each at this moment though
haha - i really hope Helloween do better, just to show that Blind Guardian arent everyones favorite all the time
22.05.2006 - 00:36
nefrit
I think sooner or later Blind Guardian will lead the poll, with my vote this already have started to happen

Well, this is so easy to choose for me because I never got into helloween actually..

plus, except the latest stuff- almost all of the BG songs are great, they barely bore me (which is a good thing )
----
in a dreaming utopia.. dead on dope
22.05.2006 - 10:24
BlindedByFear
Account deleted
I choose Helloween mostly for the records with Kiske, i think that era is one of the best in the power metal scene. I think Blind Guardian is an good band, but in my opinion, together with Helloweens earlier records, Helloween crushes Blind Guardian.
22.05.2006 - 23:02
Megadeth88
Written by Guest on 22.05.2006 at 10:24

I choose Helloween mostly for the records with Kiske, i think that era is one of the best in the power metal scene. I think Blind Guardian is an good band, but in my opinion, together with Helloweens earlier records, Helloween crushes Blind Guardian.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on that one. Helloween's old work pretty much kills Blind Guardian. So Helloween get my vote.
23.05.2006 - 02:55
Kane
Account deleted
Looks like it's tied. I don't see why, Blind Guardian isn't even that good. They've made only one decent album in my opinion. I picked Helloween because they just make better music, especially during the Deris-era. The band experimented more with their music and branched out. Blind Guardian just stuck with the same formula. Helloween seems to have a better sense of direction.
23.05.2006 - 14:56
Baz Anderson
Staff
yeh - Helloween do diverse a bit more
which is the only good Blind Guardian album in your opinion then - i would have a guess at 'Imaginations From The Other Side'
that would be my favorite Blind Guardian album - but i do like all their others a lot as well
26.05.2006 - 15:25
Alouqua
Account deleted
Helloween for ever!!!! They are one of my fav. bands ever... Keeper of the seven keys I and II or Walls Of Jericho... as I say, i love helloween, so they got my vote!
28.05.2006 - 01:18
suinelah
I voted Blind Guardian.

Both are awesome bands, but I just enjoy Blind Guardian more than Helloween.
----
blessed be,
//suinelah
04.06.2006 - 00:16
Sekhmet
Electric Witch
I prefer Blind Guardian. They sound more more power and fantasy-orientated than Helloween who are rather heavy IMO, and Hansi must be one of the best power vocalists ever... I've never really managed to get into Helloween actually... They have some great songs but also some not-so-good ones which are (obviously it seems) the ones I listened to when I was discovering them : So both bands have great musicians but I simply enjoy BG more!!
----
I wish I had a mental survival kit...
06.06.2006 - 11:29
Freezer
Written by Guest on 23.05.2006 at 02:55

Looks like it's tied. I don't see why, Blind Guardian isn't even that good. They've made only one decent album in my opinion. I picked Helloween because they just make better music, especially during the Deris-era. The band experimented more with their music and branched out. Blind Guardian just stuck with the same formula. Helloween seems to have a better sense of direction.

come on man, only one? i'd say at least 3 of their albums are masterpieces (SFB, IftOS, NiME)
----
We fly through this godless endeavor, we try to explain the black forever
06.06.2006 - 11:45
Draklar
Account deleted
I voted for Blind Guardian. I don't really see how Helloween can stand up to them. They're a great band, there's no doubt in that, but there's just absolutely no comparison with Blind Guardian's masterpieces like "And Then There Was Silence".
Plus, as some already pointed out, there's quite a few bad songs in Helloween's discography.
06.06.2006 - 20:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
it was all going so well as well
hahahaha

Draklar: well thats your opinion that there is no comparison. i thought the same a long while ago before i gave ALL the Helloween albums a good go
i dont think there are many bad songs at all - worst in my opinion is probably 'Mr. Ego (Take Me Down)' so just stay away from that. haha. i mean even that isnt too bad
Blind Guardian has some songs that arent perfect either - the song 'Follow The Blind' doesnt do much for me at all

i mean i am listening to 'Chameleon' right now and loving it
you really have to know all the Helloween stuff to like them properly
06.06.2006 - 20:42
Draklar
Account deleted
Well which song by Helloween in your opinion can stand up to "And Then There Was Silence"?
06.06.2006 - 20:45
Baz Anderson
Staff
'Keeper Of The Seven Keys' perhaps

'And The There Was Silence' is a fantastic song - am not saying there is anything wrong with Blind Guardian - i love them too! but you cant just dismiss a band like Helloween
08.06.2006 - 20:19
Daru Jericho
Personally, I think KOTSK is better than ATTWS. Keeper is a lot more catchy and builds up to it's awesome climax whereas ATTWS sort of has (for me) the climax in the middle of the song. Still, they're both greats.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

08.06.2006 - 22:43
Baz Anderson
Staff
yees. they are indeed
'And Then There Was Silence' was one of the first Blind Guardian songs i heard - so it has been very important to me as well
i used to have it in my 'favorite song' slot on the old version of metalstorm, but ive just left it blank now
18.06.2006 - 13:35
rebelos
Account deleted
BG cause i get more passionate wehn i listen to them