Metal Storm logo
Blind Guardian and Helloween

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 18.05.2006 - 00:36
The last time I made this poll I found it very intersting indeed watching the percentages change. Helloween seemed to be getting closer and closer to Blind Guardian as time went on.

If there is to be a discussion between the best two power metal bands - then surely it will be these two.
The first band that should pop to mind when you think of power metal should be Helloween, but Blind Guardian have carved their way into power metal history as well.

A few years ago, I would have claimed Blind Guardian to be my favorite band - but then I got into Helloween and I have been rather obsessed by them since. Which other band has something as amusing as a pumpkin acting various things in various places? haha
Blind Guardian seem a lot more fantasy oriented where Helloween are more traditional heavy metal oriented, but both are fantastic bands.
I would say Helloween were my favorite, of course - but I am still very interested as to see how the votes will go this time - maybe we will be a little surprised, who knows.

But whatever your opinion on these two bands, let us hear what you have to say.

Thanks!

Poll

Who do you prefer?

Blind Guardian
Helloween

Total votes: 274
23.03.2007 - 15:11
Judas
The Amputator
Well, as some may remember, the last time this thread was about in the old forums, I was totally torn between whom to chose. This time, my mind is a lot clearer, Blind Guardian have withstood my test of time, and seeing as they were my favourite band when I started listening to Metal and they have remained at the top of all my lists since then, I can't really go any other way on this one. Sure, Helloween are right up there too, they were definitely amongst the first five Metal bands I listened to, and for a time I would actually say I preferred them over the Bards (just look at my name!), but I don't know, for a few months I've been listening to them less frequently, whereas Blind Guardian still get at least one listen every day.

They are quite different bands, and it's a horrible feeling to have to choose one over the other, since neither of them deserve to be second in anything, but at the crunch, Blind Guardian beat Helloween for me. But this poll has done at least this much good: I'm now going to listen to Helloween for the first time in a while! So, who knows, we'll see what I think in a few months again...
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
07.04.2007 - 22:02
APOHAKC
The Bard
No doubt for me, Helloween
In both cases I am fan of old albums and earlier parts of their careers but there is difference, I love also new Helloween albums, and I can listen all of their work with much joy (except maybe Pink Bubbles Go Ape, argh). Of cause I enjoy more Walls Of Jericho and legendary Keeper Of The Seven Keys, both parts, than Chameleon or Keeper Of The Seven Keys - The Legavy but those albums are also good. I love all Helloween singers and I think that Andy Deris, who is (too) oftenly accused that he is not worthy to sing in Helloween, awesome! He have great voice, not like, let say Ralf Sheepers but he is good, balanced singer.
Blind Guardian is awesome bans, legendary band.. I know they are creating music that we can call art, but I am not fan of the same. I like Follow The Blind, Somewere Far Beyond and Batallions Of Fear. These albums are on my all time list, but I just don't like their new work at all. Twyst In The Myth was big dissapointment for me, altough all Blind Guardian fans, in my place, are thrilled with the same. It is jut not for me anymore, but it don't mean I don't support this band anymore.. that is where I would make a difference and vote for Helloween, band I liked in my childhood, I love now and I will adore in the future...
Ride The Sky Forever!
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.04.2007 - 00:12
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Definetly Blind Guardian, I love both bands but Blind Guardian has a lot of songs that are heavier then anything Helloweens ever done so yeah.
11.04.2007 - 01:26
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Guest on 11.04.2007 at 00:12

Definetly Blind Guardian, I love both bands but Blind Guardian has a lot of songs that are heavier then anything Helloweens ever done so yeah.

well the word 'heavy' is always something that there isnt a perfect definition for.. but I would say most stuff on Helloween's "The Dark Ride" album is heavier then most things Blind Guardian has done..
11.04.2007 - 02:27
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
It's rather difficult to have a choice stopped on the question
But I have a little preference to Blind Guardian even if Keeper Of The Seven Key (I and II) stands out.

It's also certainly due to the fact that I know better the discography of blind guardian and than I saw them live contrary to Helloween
11.04.2007 - 04:32
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.04.2007 at 01:26

well the word 'heavy' is always something that there isnt a perfect definition for.. but I would say most stuff on Helloween's "The Dark Ride" album is heavier then most things Blind Guardian has done..

Your absolutley right, many metal fans probably have different definitions implanted in their heads about what the word "heavy" actualy means.

I've just always found some Blind Guardian albums to be heavier because of their vocalist's screaming, especily their debut album.
11.04.2007 - 04:38
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Guest on 11.04.2007 at 04:32

Your absolutley right, many metal fans probably have different definitions implanted in their heads about what the word "heavy" actualy means.

I've just always found some Blind Guardian albums to be heavier because of their vocalist's screaming, especily their debut album.

yes indeed - the first Blind Guardian album is one of the more heavier ones..

but I was wrong before! I do have a definitive definition of 'heavy' !! - it is Celtic Frost's 'Monotheist' - tracks like 'Progeny' and 'Ain Elohim' - now that is the definition of heavy!! haha - take a listen to them
11.04.2007 - 04:53
ThrashMetal_Rulz
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 11.04.2007 at 04:38

Written by Guest on 11.04.2007 at 04:32

yes indeed - the first Blind Guardian album is one of the more heavier ones..

but I was wrong before! I do have a definitive definition of 'heavy' !! - it is Celtic Frost's 'Monotheist' - tracks like 'Progeny' and 'Ain Elohim' - now that is the definition of heavy!! haha - take a listen to them

ah, yes i've heard Monotheist before, very good song and very heavy indeed . I'll be sure to listen to the others, thank you for the recommendations.
22.04.2007 - 11:40
Oracle
Orcinus
I vote Blind Guardian because i discovered them before Helloween and ive only just gotten into Helloween recently so i havent really listened to them as much as Blind Guardian. Blind Guardian are also one of my Favourite bands so thats another reason why they have my vote
23.04.2007 - 02:10
Darktonny
Account deleted
It's difficult to say who's better. Blind Guardian is such a really good band, and they made pretty good things for metal, but Helloween recorder "The Keeper of the 7 Keys" and that has no price. However, I prefer Blind Guardian.
24.04.2007 - 02:35
The Pharaon
Account deleted
Blind Guardian, both bands are good but I "feel" more Blind Guardian
24.04.2007 - 11:06
Milutin
Account deleted
I surely voted for Blind Guardian, my favorite band. I like Helloween too, but only the first albums. Blind Guardian are more consistent in the music and all of their albums are great (by my opinion).
28.04.2007 - 01:42
Reverie
Blind Guardian is not one of my favorites bands, but I think they have more harmonny in their songs... Helloween is too noisy.
----
In the corner beside my window...
There hangs a lonely photograph...

There is a wound that's always bleeding...
There is a road I'm always walking...
17.06.2007 - 21:57
Fang Face
Account deleted
just one word ... Helloween!
18.06.2007 - 18:19
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
I dont think you can compare them lol, hm............... Nerdy vocalist vs Vocalist who seens to be always drunk?
lol I love both bands, but they are totaly diferent, Helloween basically started the whole power metal thing (along with many other mighty warriors!)
----
18.06.2007 - 20:33
Hanke666
Helloween! One of the best bands ever!:banger: And Gamma Ray is the second best Power Metal band:banger2: Kai Hansen is God!!! And by the way, Gamma Ray is doing the sequel to Land of the Free!
19.06.2007 - 03:23
Baz Anderson
Staff
woo - an influx of Helloween votes! lets keep this up!

4look4rd: I am comparing them as far as them being (probably) the two most popular, older power metal bands

I think what happens with quite a lot of people, me included, is they get into Blind Guardian and LOVE it - but then after five years or so Helloween seems to stay just as enjoyable whereas Blind Guardian just gets a little tiresome over time
don't get me wrong though - I still really like Blind Guardian - I am really buzzing for their performances at Hellfest and Wacken
25.06.2007 - 19:30
Abattoir
Staff
Blind Guardian or Helloween ? Hm...both are great bands, but I prefer little more Blind Guardian ...see you on Metalcamp
25.06.2007 - 19:51
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
fvcccckkkkk this is a difficult one for me!!!! I'm gonna listen to a few tracks by each band for a few mins....................

agghhhh i love Helloween's first 3 releases to death (especially the debut) ......but after that, Helloween has really disappointed me musically, where as Blind Guardian has never really let me down. So though this decision was NOT easy in any way, I will choose Blind Guardian.
25.06.2007 - 21:57
In Chaos
Helloween is such a great band, and it was one of the first power metal bands, and one of the first power metal bands I listened to. so my vote goes to Helloween. I haven't gotten so much into Blind Guardian yet, but from what i have heard, Blind Guardian isn't so bad.
27.06.2007 - 14:28
Vrana
Voted for Blind Guardian. I just find them better then Hallowen.
14.10.2007 - 15:23
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
Blind Guardian and Helloween are very different i voted Blind Guardian because they havent released a bad album like Helloween's Pink Bubbles and Chameleon
----
Stay Metal !!!
14.10.2007 - 17:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Blind Guardian is ahead by a mile...Helloween somehow never addressed me too much...but BG with Nightfall, And Then There Was Silence or Otherland and other awesome songs? they rock
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.10.2007 - 18:26
AsgeirArnald
I started listening to Helloween and found them amazing before I ever heard Blind Guardian, but as soon as I heard my first Blind Guardian song I knew I liked them far and beyond Helloween, the main reason being Hansi's vocals.
16.10.2007 - 18:57
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AsgeirArnald on 16.10.2007 at 18:26

I started listening to Helloween and found them amazing before I ever heard Blind Guardian, but as soon as I heard my first Blind Guardian song I knew I liked them far and beyond Helloween, the main reason being Hansi's vocals.

Same it was here too now when I knwo BG I can not lsiten Helloween, seems thay are
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.10.2007 - 22:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
well i enjoy Keeper of the Seven Keys for instance...but i enjoy very much somewhere about 15 or more songs by BG...so...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

13.11.2007 - 04:49
Ellie
Account deleted
I think they're too difficult to compare because Helloween was a pioneer of power metal. Blind Guardian first started out being a speed metal band and then progressed to power metal later in their career. I think both bands are lovely
13.11.2007 - 18:16
Imraghil
Blind Guardian for me, Helloween is a really great band though. But Blind Guardian has many more great songs!
07.02.2008 - 23:20
Lothroniell
Account deleted
I love both bands but still Blind Guardian is my favorite band
15.02.2008 - 22:54
iaberis
Advice Troll
The music of both bands is not similar at all. BG have a more thrash direction, when Helloween a more melodic. I'm for Helloween. Blind Guardian drums sound to noisy to me... I'm glad they got rid of that guy...
----
Bitch! Please