06. Cheat On Me

Disc II
01. Frustration
02. Little Dog
03. Dragon
04. Junior Dad

Bottom 20 albums of all time: 1

Additional info
Composed by Lou Reed with significant arrangement contributions by Metallica.

Produced by Lou Reed, Metallica, Hal Willner and Greg Fidelman.

Recorded by Greg Fidelman and Mike Gillies
Additional engineering by Jim Monti, Dan Monti, Sara Lyn Killion and Kent Matcke.
Mixed by Greg Fidelman.
Assisted by Geoff Neal.

Recorded at Metallica HQ.
Mixed at Sunset Sound.

Mix coordination by Lindsay Chase.

Mastered by Vlado Meller at Masterdisk.

Wax mannequin (about 1900) and other objects: collection of Werkbundarchiv - Museum der Dinge, Berlin.

All music by Lou Reed and Metallica.
All lyrics by Lou Reed.
All Songs © 2011 Lou Reed Music (BMI)/Creeping Death Music (ASCAP).

© 2011 Sister Ray Enterprises Inc/We're Only In It For The Music.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
Some people righteously claim that this is not a real Metallica release and thus it can't be viewed as such. I agree. Metallica decided to co-operate with Lou Reed in his interpretation of Alban Berg's opera based on Frank Wedekind's plays "Erdgeist" and "Die Büchse der Pandora". The history behind that opera is as complicated and dramatic as one can imagine, assuming what a dark story it tells.

Read more ››
published 04.11.2011 | Comments (163)

Guest review by
AndMetalForAll
Rating:
Lulu brings back Metallica in a collaboration album with Lou Reed. A German visionary named Frank Wedekind wrote a collection of plays about a woman called Lulu who was both a muse and a mystery, the first form of woman. Most of the songs have death, sexuality, love and spite themes. Although it's not a Metallica album, the expectation was off the charts but the result is terrible.

Read more ››
published 14.11.2011 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
The worst thing you can possibly do is treat this like a Metallica album. It is not. Lulu is a Lou Reed album that just so happens to feature the guys from Metallica as his backing band. Of course, Metallica still had to go and put their name on it, which recklessly raised people's expectations, and the heavy criticism weighed at this album is largely true no matter how you spin it. Nonetheless, while this was a disappointment, it is not totally devoid of merit, and more of an interesting experiment than a Son-of-St. Anger-sized failure.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2013 | Comments (13)

Found in 17 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 21

Comments: 612   Visited by: 3721 users
07.09.2011 - 22:00
Mega Wolf
Written by [user id=17278] on 07.09.2011 at 21:55

Written by Mega Wolf on 07.09.2011 at 20:33

Racionally speaking I think this one is going to suck too, but I don't think we have to say: It's suck, this isn't metal. It will not be, probably, anything close to metal, they know it and this is just a thing Metallica wanted to try, colaborating with another musician, not another Metallica album (at least I hope).
Ok, not racionally speaking now, why the hell do they have to this sucky new album with this guy but won't try anything with Mustaine and Ellefson? Really can't understand...

Make an album with Mustaine and Ellefson? why? Megadeth are working on their own album. And they are not the best of friends.

Why are they releasing this under the Metallica name? This is what i don't get. The songs will be mostly written by Reed (with significant contribution from Metallica - LOL).

Well, Dave said somwhere in an interview that he was willing to do something with metallica, maybe not an album, a show, a song or something like that.
I really don't know why they will release this under the metallica name..
15.09.2011 - 00:28
Rating: 1
Wiillak
It,s Better to waiting for this heavy shit!
15.09.2011 - 06:39
Hugoj33
Bad beginning....
15.09.2011 - 06:55
Rating: 3
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Who is that 1 who got this album??? :O
21.09.2011 - 01:44
MickeyDeez79
Their half a minute preview of The View makes St. Anger look like Master of Puppets. On the release day of the album or later, I will see how the rest of the album is. I can predict it'll be shit because of this bad start. Cliff Burton must be rolling over furiously in his grave right now. I'll never again listen to a Metallica song that is newer than 20 years old.
25.09.2011 - 00:55
Rating: 6
Fade To Black
Any Idea what genre this is going to be?
26.09.2011 - 07:49
Rating: 2
Moose
Why do people get so much joy out of talking shit about Metallica?

I admit I don't really like the sound of the new song, but that doesn't mean it/Metallica are shit.
Its not like it's mainstream. Its just not thrash. Seems like everyone was expecting a thrash album, when Metallica never suggested it would be.

The full song is available now btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg&feature=player_embedded
26.09.2011 - 11:00
Slayer666
Written by Moose on 26.09.2011 at 07:49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg&feature=player_embedded

I meant Metallica, btw. They have to be trolling with this song. I always thought Metallica was boring, but that's way too much even for them...
26.09.2011 - 11:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
"The View" really is awful... as flawed as "Reload" and especially "St. Anger" were, nothing on those albums is anywhere near as painful to listen to as that song with Lou Reed. And yes, I'm including Lars' horrendous drum sound on "St. Anger" in that too! lol

Just terrible stuff.
26.09.2011 - 18:18
John Shock
Written by Valentin B on 07.09.2011 at 21:58

Apparently some of the songs on this album (like the last two) are set to be over 12 minutes long, and Junior Dad is 19 minutes long. unfortunately, the last time they did something of quality at comparable length, is the title track of "...And Justice for All"...

Hail ...And Justice For All...one of all time my favorite albuns! ;-)
26.09.2011 - 18:19
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.09.2011 at 11:35

"The View" really is awful... as flawed as "Reload" and especially "St. Anger" were, nothing on those albums is anywhere near as painful to listen to as that song with Lou Reed. And yes, I'm including Lars' horrendous drum sound on "St. Anger" in that too! lol

Just terrible stuff.

How is that The View song? ...
26.09.2011 - 19:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 26.09.2011 at 18:19

How is what The View song?
26.09.2011 - 19:36
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 26.09.2011 at 19:09

Written by John Shock on 26.09.2011 at 18:19

How is what The View song?

I've heard the song one hour ago...and i must say...wtf! Go to Hell Metallica!
27.09.2011 - 13:36
Wiillak
What the F*** was the New song...

It,s suck
27.09.2011 - 18:54
Evil Chip
I am the table, LULZ!!!!!! You can't be more ridicolous than that.
27.09.2011 - 19:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 26.09.2011 at 19:36

"The smell of death permeates, the silk within my coffin lays..." hehe
28.09.2011 - 12:34
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 27.09.2011 at 19:44

Written by John Shock on 26.09.2011 at 19:36

"The smell of death permeates, the silk within my coffin lays..." hehe

Fuck that, i hate the song!
28.09.2011 - 12:44
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by John Shock on 28.09.2011 at 12:34

Do you mean "The View", or the song that I quoted the above line from? (Megadeth's "Go To Hell")
28.09.2011 - 14:10
John Shock
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.09.2011 at 12:44

Written by John Shock on 28.09.2011 at 12:34

Do you mean "The View", or the song that I quoted the above line from? (Megadeth's "Go To Hell")

The View...go to hell is awesome! ...Megadeth rules! The view is shiiiiiit! :\
30.09.2011 - 16:03
The View is decent, but its boring and repetetive and James lyrics... I Am The Table, well in that case "im the chair, Lars Ulrich is a goblin and Rob Trujillo is a monkey"
30.09.2011 - 17:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by skeletorissatan on 30.09.2011 at 16:03

The View is decent, but its boring and repetetive and James lyrics... I Am The Table, well in that case "im the chair, Lars Ulrich is a goblin and Rob Trujillo is a monkey"

"I am the table" isn't James' lyrics. Lou Reed wrote the whole album.
01.10.2011 - 17:40
Roro
I can see that koko album isnt getting any welcoming
02.10.2011 - 06:58
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
This is going to be a piece of shit...

St. Anger will be an masterpiece now!
03.10.2011 - 00:58
Rating: 4
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
My number one band is Metallica but my review about "The View" is:
Intro part is very bad.
"Lou Reed - vocals, guitar" is wrong but this is right "Lou Reed - spoken word, guitar"!!!!!!!!
What was that! is that singing?! I have the best work of Lou Reed "1989 - New York" you can't find anything for listening, it's just like Radio (completely boring - just like talking not singing).
Cymbal works was 1 out of 10, Riffs was too repetitive and boring, There was Solo????????, James' singing was average at all!
Songwriting and originality was 3 out of 10 and outro!!!!!
I can't find anything special about this song, My final rating is 4 out of 10. (Sorry Metallica but what's this?!?!)
----
Stop seeing things and people in a binary way. Everything has its own spectrum and complexity. Be patient and learn about the world.
04.10.2011 - 14:44
No, James wrote his lyrics for it, Lou wrote HIS lyrics for it. That is what is all over everything, and that is what i believe. Until the full album is out and we can read the liner notes, we will never know it
04.10.2011 - 20:27
Oh god, "The View".. WHY!? the song is literally 4 miniutes of Lou Reed mumbling like an insane old man while Metallica play a reptitve boring riff and now and then James Hetfield shouts "IM A THE TABLE, I AM THE TABLE".

/rant
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
10.10.2011 - 00:22
Mega Wolf
I read an interview which James said that this would be not a Metallica neither a Lou Reed album, and that probably neither of their fans will like it...
10.10.2011 - 00:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Mega Wolf on 10.10.2011 at 00:22
I read an interview which James said that this would be not a Metallica neither a Lou Reed album, and that probably neither of their fans will like it...

At least he isn't completely unaware of peoples' reactions.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
10.10.2011 - 16:19
Yavanna
Written by Mega Wolf on 10.10.2011 at 00:22

Of course, hardly someone will like it, at least he is aware... I think they still could erase everything and fake that they never recorded it, I think it's a better solution
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
11.10.2011 - 01:24
John Shock
Written by Mehdi Taba on 03.10.2011 at 00:58

My number one band is Metallica but my review about "The View" is :
Intro part is very bad, Lou Reed - vocals, guitar is wrong, this is right Lou Reed - spoken word, guitar !!!!!!!!
what was that that's singing I have the best work of Lou Reed "1989 - New York" you can't find anything for listening, it's just like Radio (completely boring - just like talking not singing), Cymbal works was 1 out of 10, Riff was too repeat and boring, There was Solo ?????, James's singing was not bad at all, Songwriter and originality 3 out of 10 and outro!!!!!
I can't understand anything special about this song, My final rating is 4 out of 10 . (Sorry Metallica but what's this ?!?!)

How can you rate that high? ...i think you'll be to generous when the album comes out!
Metallica sucks, except their 80's of course...

Hits total: 80367 | This month: 19