Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by , 31.12.2014 - 20:37
Written by Troy Killjoy on 31.12.2014 at 20:35

I liked the combat system... and that was about it. The voice acting was atrocious and I didn't seem to care much for the plot or characters. Or story. Or anything really. Just the combat system.

Yeah the combat system was the best thing about it. It basically went back to the Job System of older FFs.
27.03.2020 - 02:41
BitterCOld
waltrsobchakheit
Lately splitting time with Borderlands 3 (just beat the campaign today), Persona 5, RDR Online and some of that free COD "Warzone" game. Also picked up some olde tyme stuff like Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, and Full Throttle.

quarantine has seen me plowing through more content than usual.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
30.03.2020 - 00:08
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by BitterCOld on 27.03.2020 at 02:37

I played the entire campaign - mostly with Ulver's "Drone Activity" on in the background for added effect. Really enjoyed it up until after a point. Always liked exploring side alleys, tunnels, stuff off the main drag.

Yeah, it doesn't help that I'm a total loot whore. My husband has lived in DC so he also tells me stories about the places we explore in game. Super fun, apparently very very true to life.

Written by BitterCOld on 27.03.2020 at 02:41

and some of that free COD "Warzone" game.

I've been playing it too. Friends quarantined in France and Morocco are joining us in War Zone, the free cross platform thing really made it possible to play with people I usually can't play with.
01.04.2020 - 17:57
BitterCOld
waltrsobchakheit
Written by Ilham on 30.03.2020 at 00:08

I've been playing it too. Friends quarantined in France and Morocco are joining us in War Zone, the free cross platform thing really made it possible to play with people I usually can't play with.

I'm just between mediocre and terrible at it. bad connection, 90% of the time even if I stumble upon an enemy and shoot first, I still die first. Play the blood money variant, as I'm really good at going Gollum-mode and skulking around, picking up crates. Still manage to place in top 10 or higher some times without firing a shot. Did place 1st in team mode a shocking amount of times before it moved to single player - even if not getting kills, I was the cash king while others did the Slaying.

France... Morocco. Bah, before this thing hit, had big plans that would have involved time in both. Have friends/former co-workers from Paraguay now in Casablanca and we were going to drop in and see them. Alas. Stuck in a tiny apartment in Bogota, getting repeatedly virtually shot by tweens.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.05.2020 - 16:24
Metren
Dungeon Master
Playing Neverwinter Nights (diamond edition GOG) for the first time. As a massive fan of all things oldschoool Bioware, I can't believe I missed out on this series back in the day. I am enjoying the living hell out of it. I'm about 12-15 h into it and it's just a great game. Fun combat, which is perfect for a DnD nerd like myself and some of the locations are really atmospheric and nice, for lack of a better word. The OST and voice acting are also top notch. Some have called the story medicore, but I quite like it.

Also, the game starts with a plague roaming about and with a city in quarantine, how perfect is that for right now.
----
I am not nor have I ever been a musician or a member of a one-man band, especially a band that has a name that starts with "D".
02.05.2020 - 23:39
IronAngel
Written by Metren on 01.05.2020 at 16:24

Playing Neverwinter Nights (diamond edition GOG) for the first time. As a massive fan of all things oldschoool Bioware, I can't believe I missed out on this series back in the day. I am enjoying the living hell out of it. I'm about 12-15 h into it and it's just a great game. Fun combat, which is perfect for a DnD nerd like myself and some of the locations are really atmospheric and nice, for lack of a better word. The OST and voice acting are also top notch. Some have called the story medicore, but I quite like it.

Also, the game starts with a plague roaming about and with a city in quarantine, how perfect is that for right now.

The multiplayer scene is fairly dead now, but if you can find a good server still up it's absolutely worth it. I spent years of my life on Amia (www.amiaworld.net) and a little bit on a Ravenloft, Planescape and a custom setting server with dedicated DM teams (I also DMed for Amia) and a few hundred loyal players. It's the closest you get to a tabletop RP experience online, save for actual tabletop clients.

I didn't find the main quests of NWN or the expansions terribly engaging at the time. Hordes of the Underdark is an OK romp. But NWN2 (a multiplayer disaster, sadly) is where the single-player gets really good. The main campaign is decent, but the Mask of the Betrayer expansion is one of my very favorite real RPGs of all time (with New Vegas, Bloodlines, Deus Ex, KOTORs, Disco Elysium, and Morrowind at least). Ridicilously good setting, characters, story and meaningful choices. It's got that dark, contemplative tone of PS:T that combines the individual with cosmic significance.
03.05.2020 - 21:00
Metal Rambo
Written by Metren on 01.05.2020 at 16:24

Yo! Great to see people still playing Neverwinter Nights, I've been a huge fan since the very beginning. The best thing about that game has always been its editor and flexible design, which pretty much allows you to mod the game anyway you like it with some restrictions regarding the main quest. I remember when someone invented an engine that allows you to create any race you wanted with the "subrace" option and your abilities and appearance would also change. I think this kind of stuff comes nowadays with these newer enhanced boxed sets, but they mainly work on unofficial modules.

In case you want to have awesome multiplayer server where people still actually have fun, I'd suggest one called Higher Ground: Path of Ascension. It's been online since the early 2000's, customized and enhanced like crazy. I've spent many boring summer vacations playing it with some friends of mine. You just need their IP's to connect directly, should be easily found using google. There's somewhere around 60 people playing as we speak, so it's pretty much alive and well.
----
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
03.05.2020 - 23:39
BitterCOld
waltrsobchakheit
I think i picked it up on GOG, but haven't started yet. was planning on saving for a time when stuck with lappy only. Had it back in the day, even ran a few short campaign sessions with friends.
----

07.05.2020 - 20:56
Metren
Dungeon Master
I took a break from NWN after completeing chapter 2 and am now playing Assassins' Creed: Odyssey and also a little-known VN named "Eliza". Both are very enjoyable so far, though going from one to the other is... weird
----
I am not nor have I ever been a musician or a member of a one-man band, especially a band that has a name that starts with "D".
17.05.2020 - 19:00
IronAngel
Finished Torment: Tides of Numenera. I did not really like it. Way too wordy (and I say this as someone who both loves text-heavy RPGs and reads a hundred books a year), just paragraph after paragraph of insipid, ineffective description. The game was trivially easy, with no danger of ever running out of ability points to spend on effort. And the setting, while it was beautiful and had potential for cool sci-fi/fantasy crossover, was just too all-over-the-place to make any of it feel meaningful. There's no mystery when everything's a mystery. It was playable enough, with some fun characters and the main story was decent, but I can't really recommend it unless you've run out of RPGs to play.

Started Tyranny afterward. I quite enjoy the premise of playing on the side of the bad guys; I can play an asshole without it feeling forced and awkward, being evil for the sake of evil. Feels like a good specimen of its genre, though god damn I've grown sick of RTwP combat. The micromanagement is nothing but frustrating. I've said it before, but I'll say it again: no party-based RPG was ever better for opting for RTwP instead of turn-based combat.
17.05.2020 - 21:11
Metren
Dungeon Master
The best explanation ever about why Planescape: Torment is amazeballs and why Tides of Numenera never stood a chance of living up to it:

----