Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Slayer666, 06.07.2014 - 01:15
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 06.07.2014 at 01:09

It did start to get fun, though it was kind of an aimless game that gave you very little indication of how to progress in a reasonable manner.

That is the folly of those so-called 4X games.

I also remember quite enjoying Galactic Civilizations 2, a game in similar vein. It was like a simpler, more streamlined but far more polished version of Space Rangers.
13.02.2017 - 12:37
Dima
Written by Maco on 13.02.2017 at 05:11

Games I played this summer and my score.

Spec Ops: The Line - 9
Mass Effect - 8.5
Mass Effect 2 - 8.5
Mass Effect 3 - 9.5 (Even with the ending)
Bioshock Infinite - 9.5 (The first two games are overrated imo, but this one is a different story. The ending was a mindfuck).
Life Is Strange - 9
Portal 2 - 9

what ending did you choose for Life is Strange?
13.02.2017 - 18:51
Maco
Written by Dima on 13.02.2017 at 12:37

what ending did you choose for Life is Strange?

I killed Chloe, she was not worth of sacrificing the entire village.
----
I'm derp.
18.02.2017 - 02:13
ylside
Written by Netzach on 04.02.2017 at 07:13

Written by IronAngel on 03.02.2017 at 20:18

Written by Netzach on 03.02.2017 at 15:01

Currently not playing anything... Waiting for the release of Torment: Tides of Numenéra, it's gonna be epic. Never thought I'd see a spiritual successor to the greatest computer RPG ever made. The last game I played was Tyranny. It is designed for maximum replay value but I never got around to that second run...

I'm not holding my breath. Pillars of Eternity was hardly the second coming of Baldur's Gate either, despite being marketed as such. All in all, there are so many decent RPG revival (age of incline, in rpg codex terms) titles out right now that the writing needs to be very good and the gameplay at least solid to really stand out beyond nostalgia value. It might be good, it probably will be, but very few reboots, sequels or spiritual successors have been as great as expected. Here's hoping, though!

I played the early access version and I have to say I am very impressed so far. I hope they keep up the same standard throughout the rest of the game. Fingers crossed!

Pillars of Eternity was great (a sequel is on its way) but it was no BG2, not at all. But Pillars and Torment haven't got the same developers. It's the Wasteland 2 studio making the Torment game, not Obsidian

I really hope Torment turns out well.
And, honestly, Underworld Ascendent.... but the cartoonish feel is already horrible. I hope they compensate for it.
18.02.2017 - 11:01
IronAngel
Written by ylside on 18.02.2017 at 02:13

And, honestly, Underworld Ascendent.... but the cartoonish feel is already horrible. I hope they compensate for it.

I don't mind cartoonish, although hopefully the tone will be a bit darker than the few screenshots I've seen. Often a "cartoonish" look stands the test of time much better than attempts at photorealism, as technology advances. Beyond Good & Evil still looks really good, so does Grim Fandango, Wind Waker and Borderlands 1, for instance. But yeah, looking forward to System Shock remake too.

Playing The Longest Journey with my wife at the moment. It's pretty good even today, although the puzzles are either trivial or stupidly random. Next we're probably playing L.A. Noire, I hear it has great writing and that's always good for playing together. I am itching to finish W3 though, so I can move on to Arcanum.
18.02.2017 - 14:56
ylside
Written by IronAngel on 18.02.2017 at 11:01

Written by ylside on 18.02.2017 at 02:13

I don't mind cartoonish, although hopefully the tone will be a bit darker than the few screenshots I've seen. Often a "cartoonish" look stands the test of time much better than attempts at photorealism, as technology advances. Beyond Good & Evil still looks really good, so does Grim Fandango, Wind Waker and Borderlands 1, for instance. But yeah, looking forward to System Shock remake too.

Playing The Longest Journey with my wife at the moment. It's pretty good even today, although the puzzles are either trivial or stupidly random. Next we're probably playing L.A. Noire, I hear it has great writing and that's always good for playing together. I am itching to finish W3 though, so I can move on to Arcanum.

Attempts at gritty / dark graphics does stand the test of time as well, it depends on how it is made. as an example Thief 1 or 3 might be ugly by today's standards, but the feeling is there.

For my part I finished Witcher 3, and now playing Blood and Wine. I was advice to move on to Dark Souls later on, will see about that.

Arcanum huh ? Excellent choice... you're in for a treat, except the annoying fighting system, the rest is excellent. One of the best and most diverse quests in RPGs that I have seen, really excellent.
I secretely always wanted a remake of Arcanum using Temple of elemental evil engine, as you can see I don't ask for much lol.
18.02.2017 - 15:00
Dima
Yugioh - Legacy of the Duelist for me. It's fun but man I never realised how shitty some of the designs were in the 1st gen. I wish the art was as good as Magic: The Gathering's.
18.02.2017 - 21:25
IronAngel
I would kill for a good story with real choice slapped into a perfect combat system, yeah. I haven't actually played Temple of Elemental Evil myself either, though I watched a friend play it, but I've read about the system enough to know it must be great.

Just noticed RPG Codex's "Age of Incline" GOTY 2012-2016 results are out. Very interesting article and shows that we've really been spoilt for RPGs in the last few years. I have yet to try Age of Decadence, NEO Scavenger and Valkyria Chronicles, for instance, or get far in Legend of Grimrock, but this makes me want to. I also did not know about Fallout 1.5: Resurrection, which is an original story/mod for Fallout 2.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10535
20.02.2017 - 17:56
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Waiting for Prey, Mass Effect Andromeda, and details on the 3 projects Bethesda is currently doing.
22.02.2017 - 11:50
Dima
You should be waiting for Nier Automata!
22.02.2017 - 15:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Defunct
Prey does look immensely good though. As does this which I'm unbelievably hyped for.

Finally finished Resident Evil 7. The game is ok. The problem is that it's basically a reworking of the first game in 3D, except that after the first hour the story isn't that interesting and generally isn't as memorable. I feel like the game's positive reception is heavily based around the fact the fact that series had previously gone to the dogs so by going back to an old formula it's leaning on past achievements instead of trying new ideas. Gameplay isn't that interesting (not enough enemy varieties imo), puzzles are bland and might as well not be there and the writing seems to want to be serious but is too campy or inconsistent at times (so you just shot your wife you'd been searching for for 3 years to death and you're not even going to react?). It's very pretty and runs well but hardly a classic in the series.

While ultimately the game is really nothing like Outlast, despite what people say, I still enjoyed that way more. Just has far more style and is genuinely unnerving to play.