Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Ilham, 08.07.2014 - 14:26
MGS is always like that. I remember playing the first one when I was too young to understand it, then I got MGS2 and finished it as well. Then I was old enough to get curious about the plot, so I re-finished both. I think at that time I understood what those two were about, but I'd never be able to tell you now. I just remember something about a huge conspiracy with the 12 patriots, a weird fight with that guy on the roof, while 98% of the game was played on an off-shore base. Would I have to go back to the playing any of those games, I'd have to focus on the plot as if I had never heard the name Snake before.
05.03.2017 - 05:25
Maco
Handbanana
Written by Metren on 04.03.2017 at 11:43

Ending aside, why did you like it enough to give it a higher score than the first 2 games?

Because I had more fun with that game than the previous two. Because the mechanics were improved even more. Because the voice acting was way more convincing than the previous two.
----
I'm derp.
05.03.2017 - 12:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
It was mechanically superior for sure, but I'd say the least memorable of the 3. Actually the best bit was the Citadel DLC probably. Even though the mechanics are weak as hell the first is still the best for me. The story, sprawling levels and sense of exploration and newness / mystery make it an all time top game. ME3 is worth way more than 5/10 though.
05.03.2017 - 21:06
IronAngel
The first was the best game in the ME series, yeah. For a while I thought 2 was, but then I realized I was duped by improvements to things that did not matter. Sure the combat is smoother, but it's still shit and not what I'm playing it for. My relationship to the series is very ambivalent. I enjoyed it a lot, but it also embodies (and is to blame for) many things wrong with modern RPGs. Love to hate it but can't help loving it.

I got sick of the Wild Hunt halfway through, and I am replaying Mask of the Betrayer, having realized I never finished it. Holy shit it's good, I was too young and inexperienced with western CRPGs when I first played it to see just how great it is. The combat is pretty bad, but that's the case with every single Obsidian (and BioWare) game ever.

In fact, the writing is right up there with Planescape: Torment. What it lacks in humour and weirdness it makes up for in better pacing. And although I said the gameplay is bad, it's still miles ahead of PS:T. The character building is fun, and it's not completely Obsidian's fault epic-level D&D doesn't play very well. They might have made it turn-based as sticked with a level range of 10-20 or so, it could have set the gold standard for RPGs.

With stuff like this in fairly recent memory, it baffles me how people can actually consider "cinematic" blockbuster mediocrity like Witcher and Mass Effect the pinnacle of RPG writing/storytelling. They are good, entertaining games in their own right but come on. I have yet to finish it, but I think I'm gonna call it: MotB is even better than KOTOR 1/2 and New Vegas.
07.03.2017 - 12:09
Dima
Witcher 1 Chapter 4, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine are some of the best modern VG tales imo.

Playing through Planescape now because I got a bit bored of Baldur's Gate 2. Old isometric combat is straight garbage and BG2 has way too much of it. Maybe 5 hours into Planescape and the world, characters, story and decisions are all more interesting to me. I love the exposition for even the most mundane and insignificant of things.

Can't wait for Nier: Automata

Wish Zelda was on PC.
08.03.2017 - 20:42
ylside
Written by Dima on 07.03.2017 at 12:09

Witcher 1 Chapter 4, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine are some of the best modern VG tales imo.

Blood and Wine is truly great, really well crafted. I enjoyed it very much, more than Heart of Stone.
That ice effect on Aard is amazing too

So I just finished W3+Heart of Stone + Blood and Wine (an overall 10/10 game, with some minor annoying things here and there)

I now begin... Dark Souls 3. I heard I'm in for a looong and frustrating play.
08.03.2017 - 21:13
Paz
News Man
Written by ylside on 08.03.2017 at 20:42

Not really The game is fairly easy (the boss fights especially), but after you get the Dragonslayer Greataxe it's just a cakewalk. This weapon is overpowered af.
----
Digging: Czeluść Vol. #2
09.03.2017 - 00:09
ylside
Written by Paz on 08.03.2017 at 21:13

Written by ylside on 08.03.2017 at 20:42

Not really The game is fairly easy (the boss fights especially), but after you get the Dragonslayer Greataxe it's just a cakewalk. This weapon is overpowered af.

Easy huh ? Why is everybody saying the opposite then lol
I did kill that first crystal lizard thingie eventhough apparently it was supposed to be overpowered for a beginner, so it might not be super difficult then.

Then again, so far the most difficult (but satisfying) game I played was Hotline Miami 2 on Hard mode. So I guess I can manage Dark souls 3
09.03.2017 - 19:40
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by ylside on 09.03.2017 at 00:09

Easy huh ? Why is everybody saying the opposite then lol
I did kill that first crystal lizard thingie eventhough apparently it was supposed to be overpowered for a beginner, so it might not be super difficult then.

Then again, so far the most difficult (but satisfying) game I played was Hotline Miami 2 on Hard mode. So I guess I can manage Dark souls 3

Unless you 2-hand spam the Carthus Curved Sword, DS3 is probably the hardest of all the Soulsborne games, simply because it's the most unbalanced and filled with unlimited stamina enemies (compared to Bloodborne which is the most balanced). It has it's fair share of easy and hard bosses though, as they all do, but it has it's share of multi-HP bar bosses, some of which border on the pisstaking.
09.03.2017 - 21:41
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Quake Champions closed beta about to happen. Here we fucking go...
----
rekt
21.03.2017 - 22:08
BitterCOld
Gringo
F it. bought a new PS4 that i'm going to turn around and sell in 90 days when we move... only another 10 hours or so and Mass Effect Andromeda will be done downloading. At least they have a threshold where you can play without the complete game, so when the work day ends, space opera begins.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.