02. Wolven Eyes
03. Windy
04. Night In Poenari
05. Moonstruck (The Soulish Element)
06. Timestop
07. Starwatcher
08. Potboy - The Final Fantasy
09. Winter Of A Life [bonus]

Vivien Lalu is a young French guy passionate by music, especially rock and progressive Metal. Our man plays the piano and keyboards but he is also a fine songwriter (that's a bit normal when your parents was also the members of a Progressive rock band of the 70's?). After some writing works for Hubi Meisel, Vivien decided to form a band in 2003. The "project" Lalu is born, with of course Vivien but also, Martin LeMar (Tomorrow's Eve), Joop Wolters (Arabesque), Russell Bergquist (ex Annihilator) and Ryan Van Poederooyen the mighty drummer of the Devin Townsend's band. Believe me, I have the luck to listen a lot of CD everyday but some first albums with such quality, that's not the same. Aficionados of Progressive Metal, this one is for you!!!

Vivien Lalu is a talented musician; we have the perfect proof with "his" first album "Oniric Metal". I really like the progressives bands from the very powerful ones like Symphony X, to the classics like Dreamt Theater or the really avant-gardist ones like Pain of Salvation, I can't say that Lalu is like a mix of all these bands, but for sure we can find some similitude in the music of Vivien. A song like "Night In Poenari" for example has this power that you will find in SX's music, "Yesterdayman" with its complex lines of keyboards but with a very catchy chorus remember me the last Dream Theater and etc for the other songs... That's not a copycat don't misunderstand me, Lalu, is a pure original band with it's own personal music but, I'm (maybe wrong), I think that I can hear that all these famous bands had an influence on Vivien's compositions. The music of Lalu is really mature, it must certainly come from the talent of all the famous "guest" musicians of the band, but before all I really think that we are in front of a little genius and I'm ready to bet some litters of good beer that we will hear about this guy in the future. If we had some great progressive bands in France with for example Stephan Forte and his Adagio for sure now will also have to count on Vivien Lalu with his own project.
This album is really diversified, with ballads, fast and aggressive tracks and evidently some very technical and progressive song. I like this album because Vivien knew how to give his emotions through this music. Sadness, love, anger and even fun all that is concentrated in this really good first album, it rocks really?
The production is also very good and Vivien has the luck to be signed by the really good label Lion music, which gave him some good means of production for the recording of the album but also for the cover art of the CD made by my mate Monowasp who will become soon THE Metal designer, like a Travis Smith or a Niklas Sundin, a nice choice and a nice work for a first album, it can't be better?

That's a first great album really and I think that you should try to find the first release of Lalu. All the fans of Progressive Metal that you are will be amazed by the quality of the music that you will be able to find on this release. Not any big problems on this album, only some good and nice music for a promising artist who will become a leader of the Progressive French scene without any doubt. Come with me in the Lalu's world you couldn't regret it?

Written by Jeff | 07.03.2005

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 23 users
17.09.2011 - 15:36
Kamil
Account deleted
I've just discovered this band. They are awesome indeed

Hits total: 6201 | This month: 6