Metal Storm logo
Best music era

Original post

Posted by Roro, 29.09.2011 - 17:02
Concerning that era influences and factors such as : Technics, genre, lyrics, theme, style, fashion and other criteria

Poll

which era u believe it is/was the best?

80s
90s
present time
70s
60s

Total votes: 138
09.09.2012 - 23:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
When times are bad music thrives. Hence the emergence of thrash where they dealt mostly with social issues in the lyrics and the music being fueled by anger
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.09.2012 - 23:32
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 22:00

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Def_Leppard

Yeah, good job quoting Wikipedia, the online encyclopdia that ANYONE (Including people who don't know crap about genres, and obviously they don't if you look at discussion pages and histories of genre pages) can edit.
Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 22:00

Vid.

I payed less attention to what Dio said and more attention to what Dee Snider said. You can't pin the blame soely on glam for "killing metal." MTV made it difficult for bands (old and new or glam and otherwise) to compete for attention and sell music. Honestly, while I respect him and his music, Dio is the last person to bash some bands image considering her wore that tunic thing live and had the whole "dragons, knights and fantasy" thing in his music vids. Bands like Judas Priest and some Thrash metal bands are not exempt.
As for glam metal, let me quote one Youtuber:
When Record Companies put A contract of almost any sort in your starving face with the promise of fame and fortune, I don't know anybody then or now who would turn the opportunity down. You Dream Your reality at the drop of a hat.. Be Serious, Be Honest....
09.09.2012 - 23:43
Uldreth
Written by [user id=101272] on 09.09.2012 at 23:32

Yeah, good job quoting Wikipedia, the online encyclopdia that ANYONE (Including people who don't know crap about genres, and obviously they don't if you look at discussion pages and histories of genre pages) can edit.

I find this drivel about DL to be pointless. They might have been part of NWOBHM as a scene and "era". But that is not a GENRE, so aside from their first album which did employ usual heavy metal playing, their music resembles glam/hair/pop metal much more than bands like Iron Maiden.
15.09.2012 - 07:59
Anarchy2012
I went with the 70's because of the lasting influence of the albums that came out in that decade. Just think about it; Led Zeppelin IV, Machine Head by Deep Purple, Sad Wings of Destiny, and 2112 by Rush could take it alone. That being said, the 80's are a very, very close second with the rise of Thrash, Black Metal, and Death Metal. Glam kind of sours my image of 80's metal.
----
Im not racist. I hate everyone regardless of other issues.
18.09.2012 - 03:35
Slayerus23
Account deleted
Clearly the 70's when I regard Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin as the most influential bands ever.
18.09.2012 - 04:26
enumaelis
90's cause it's like a period of experimenting and searching for many bands, specially in the Extreme Metal. 90's expanded Metal in my opinion.
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
19.09.2012 - 22:42
Aristarchos
My personal favourite era is 1988-1992. Most of my favourite albums are from that era:

My favourite album all categories: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son.
My favourite power metal album: Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys part 2.
Also most of my other power metal favourites: Viper - Theatre Of Fate, Blind Guardian's first four.
All of my favourite prog metal albums: The ones with Dream Theater, Psychotic Waltz, Queensrÿche, Fates Warning, Savatage.
5 out of my 6 favourite thrash metal albums: Metallica - And Justice For All, Pestilence - Malleus Maleficarum, Num Skull - Ritually Abused, Sepultura - Beneath The Remains & Arise.
The golden years of death metal. I'm not gonna count all my favourites here, but you can view my list over my favourite death metal albums here: http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=2403. Most of them (apart from mostly some melodeath albums) are from this period.
My favourite gothic metal album: Type O Negative - Slow, Deep And Hard
The few glam metal albums I enjoy: Europe - Prisoners In Paradise, Skid Row - Slave To the Grind.
My favourite alternative metal: Faith No More's two album.
My favourite hard rock album: Guns n' Roses - Use Your Illusion 2.
My favourite alternative rock album: Nirvana - Never Mind.

I think the only metal genres that I think has had its best era after 1992 are black metal and melodeath.
20.09.2012 - 00:51
blacktooth85
How the hell is present time beating the 70s? What innovative bands or bands you could see being influential in the future have came out of the 2000s?
20.09.2012 - 05:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Fuck that, no era's better than the other... I love em' all... from the 60's to the present time. Its all great I enjoy bands from every of these.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.09.2012 - 15:03
helofloki
Written by Guib on 20.09.2012 at 05:32

Fuck that, no era's better than the other... I love em' all... from the 60's to the present time. Its all great I enjoy bands from every of these.

Good call. I'll take that and extend it all the way back to the renaissance. There was probably good music before then too, but there's not much left for us to appreciate. But I totally agree, all era's have good and bad music. I almost want to say the present era, just because it's always exciting to hear music or to be the first to hear a classic, but really, the older stuff is always great to go back to. The best always leaves you with something new each time.
20.09.2012 - 19:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Good point... same like best metal country is earth
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.09.2012 - 01:56
Guib
Thrash Talker
Im glad some people do agree
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
21.09.2012 - 02:35
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 20.09.2012 at 19:23

daaamn, that's a good one, man.
03.10.2012 - 03:12
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
I voted 70's with a lot of pioneering rock being created during this timeframe, but I'm not surprised on this site that 80's is the leader. Surprised the 90's are getting so much love though.
----
03.10.2012 - 04:00
Susan
Smeghead
Elite

Two excellent points!!

It was hard to chose, since each decade has some amazing music to offer, and of course some shit. I almost chose 90s, then almost switched to 70s, but in the end I chose "present day" since in today's music you can hear elements of all these glorious decades that came before.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
03.10.2012 - 09:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Susan on 03.10.2012 at 04:00

Two excellent points!!

It was hard to chose, since each decade has some amazing music to offer, and of course some shit. I almost chose 90s, then almost switched to 70s, but in the end I chose "present day" since in today's music you can hear elements of all these glorious decades that came before.

Diference is in past we didnt have so many band sbut % of bands was good lets say 10 000 bands 70% hmmm 7009 was good, and less possibilities hear it but we herad a lot of
NMow we have 100 milj bands and and maybe 1 milj is good and besides all options, radio, TV, i net radio, doanload, spotify we still in mainstream stations heard shit
----

apos;'
[image]
03.10.2012 - 14:28
Druss
^I don't think you can say that, that there was a bigger percentage of good bands in the ol' days of metal. Exposure is a key issue here; out of 10, 000 bands in the 70's, you'd be lucky to hear 100 of them is my thinking, and the only reason you'd hear them in those days without Youtube, Bandcamp, MTV and the likes is that they were either pretty damn good and/or (more often and is my thinking) they had the right labels to promote them. Nowadays, there are ''trendy'' metal genres that get exposed to the point of utter dilution, and even without hearing those bands, you can find damn near any album or at least a part or two of any album nowadays via the internet. Just like before, quality will always be a minority to quantity (while still being a part of it, obviously).

I also think Marcel's point at the top of this page has a lot of merit. You could extend that thinking to a lot of things as well, look at what football players poverty stricken Brazil and South America in general have provided in the last how many years, metal (or any genre of music) is no different.
15.03.2013 - 18:12
Jpageforever
I think it was the 60s and 70s, but during the 80s you had music like Ozzy so 80s metal was decent to say the least
25.04.2013 - 22:40
moe5512
If you meant influental, 17th century, if you meant best music, present day
18.06.2013 - 20:20
Mario Montes
80s and 90s
23.06.2013 - 14:11
TrollandDie
Present day for me. The amount of quality along with the quantity is what really does it for me. So many different flavours of music have been getting their spot in the light since the advent of the internet.

I also think there's a lot more innovation then people give credit for.
----
Hello, my name is Mr......Snrub and I think it would be a capital idea to invest the money back in the nuclear plant.
24.06.2013 - 14:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by TrollandDie on 23.06.2013 at 14:11

Present day for me. The amount of quality along with the quantity is what really does it for me. So many different flavours of music have been getting their spot in the light since the advent of the internet.

sound quality osnt changed via time, because ion ecah day we had good quality studio and ingeniering, but credits well yes we have, but in nowadadays we can get all credits online, old days all were on vinly
----

apos;'
[image]
24.06.2013 - 14:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 24.06.2013 at 14:11

Written by TrollandDie on 23.06.2013 at 14:11

sound quality osnt changed via time, because ion ecah day we had good quality studio and ingeniering, but credits well yes we have, but in nowadadays we can get all credits online, old days all were on vinly

trollanddie does not mention SOUND quality. PLease learn and read
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.07.2013 - 11:21
The Demonblade
Account deleted
1981-1994. Besy period in my opinion. Thrash, Death, everythng thrived.
26.07.2013 - 08:38
DyingWorld
Release wise, 1980 - 1997 were the best years for Metal. I voted the 80's though because that's when the evolution was most extreme. From Heaven and Hell to Altars of Madness, Metal really expanded on so many different levels. Of course, there was a lot of innovation going on in the 90's and a lot of that stopped by the time the decade was over. Perhaps I'm just really picky but I rarely find newer albums that I could hold in the same regard as the classics. While there are some gems from the past 13 years, it isn't like classic albums are being pissed out on a regular basis like it use to be.
27.07.2013 - 02:07
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
90s I guess, but this is a very hard choice IMO, 00s were great too, as well as the 80s and 70s and even 60s...
12.09.2013 - 23:10
DaveBarlow
80s
Birth of thrash metal!
03.11.2013 - 23:21
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Well I voted "current time" and I also think 70's prog rock emergence was great. But I always tend to think there are ways to top everything, atleast in someways.
05.11.2022 - 23:18
Jope"Steele"Nada
Steelemeister
80s for metal
70s for non-metal
90s has some good metal but it's rarer than in 80s

I'll vote 70s because I prefer the mainstream music from that decade and also the psychedelic and prog bands were doing some of the best records.
----
My vision is augmented
05.11.2022 - 23:33
Redel
80s for metal
70s for non metal
90s for me