Metal Storm logo
Bicycles

18.10.2011 - 23:59
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Since I do live in a big city, most of my destinations can be reached with a bike. There is a big scene going on all over the world right now called Fixie Riding. What fixie riding is, you take a road bike, throw a fixed gear on it, enjoy. The peddles control the wheel 100%, no coasting, when the peddles move the tire moves, vise versa. Its one hell of a workout but its way fun.
Does anyone else ride bikes?

Here is an example of fixie riding. Don't talk trash on it until you have tried.
19.10.2011 - 00:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I love those when I was younger I have one, but I have problems whit tires, so I ride every summer, but it broke at age 15... so till 19 it was nothing till I went to Swe 2-4 summers I ride hmmm 15-30km , leither it was broken, this year I useed my mothers, but some 4-5 times
I only use it at summer, public transport is better or car
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.10.2011 - 11:55
Roro
I love riding but the problem here in Cairo that they are not recognizing bicycles as a transportation facilities.. we dont have street marks for cars even .. so if i went for a ride i might not come back
19.10.2011 - 16:16
Vombatus
Potorro
Bikes are great, really nice when wandering around the forest in a autumn shining day (not very radikvlt, but still pleasant thing to do ).
19.10.2011 - 17:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 23:59

Since I do live in a big city, most of my destinations can be reached with a bike. There is a big scene going on all over the world right now called Fixie Riding. What fixie riding is, you take a road bike, throw a fixed gear on it, enjoy. The peddles control the wheel 100%, no coasting, when the peddles move the tire moves, vise versa. Its one hell of a workout but its way fun.

why the hell would you throw a fixed gear on a road bike when you can buy road bikes with a fixed gear? Hell, all kids in The Netherlands ride road bikes with fixed gears. or did you mean off-the-road bikes?
I think that of all bicycles sold in The Netherlands 40% are fixed gear road bikes. The percentage used to be a lot higher decades ago. When I learned to ride a bicycle when I was 4 (so 39 years ago) almost no-one owned a bike with gears.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 18:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Roro on 19.10.2011 at 11:55

I love riding but the problem here in Cairo that they are not recognizing bicycles as a transportation facilities.. we dont have street marks for cars even .. so if i went for a ride i might not come back

here we have specoal ways, laws, you need license(I have no LOL) ++ you need to have helmeth IMO till 16 or 18 , cops can fine you if your kid has not
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2011 - 18:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2011 at 18:36

here we have specoal ways, laws, you need license(I have no LOL) ++ you need to have helmeth IMO till 16 or 18 , cops can fine you if your kid has not

a lincense for rising a bicycle? I highly doubt that. And that helmet thing could be possible but totally stupid.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 18:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 19.10.2011 at 18:36

they must wear a helemt if they are UNDER 15 that's it, still stupid btw.

and I checked, no license is needed to ride a bicycle.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 19:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2011 at 18:41

they must wear a helemt if they are UNDER 15 that's it, still stupid btw.

and I checked, no license is needed to ride a bicycle.

I heard there is some corses to know road rules, sighns, you do some test, but it was long ago and also helmeth thing hmm under 15 , like I sad I have herad and I have seen cops look at it, once my friend was stoped, but I dunno since I never have any helmeth and never have been stoped by fops, I have maybe felth from it some 3 times werry werry long ago
----

apos;'
[image]
19.10.2011 - 19:30
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2011 at 17:23

why the hell would you throw a fixed gear on a road bike when you can buy road bikes with a fixed gear? Hell, all kids in The Netherlands ride road bikes with fixed gears. or did you mean off-the-road bikes?
I think that of all bicycles sold in The Netherlands 40% are fixed gear road bikes. The percentage used to be a lot higher decades ago. When I learned to ride a bicycle when I was 4 (so 39 years ago) almost no-one owned a bike with gears.

Road bike frames are a whole lot stronger and just better quality. I have bought a bike from a Fixed Gear builder and it honestly didn't last long. Now i'm riding a Nishiki fixed and its been one of the best rides. Here in the US its a whole different story, the fixed gear road bike riding is just now starting to get big here. This country is full of fat fucks, nobody likes the exercise.
19.10.2011 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 19:30

Road bike frames are a whole lot stronger and just better quality. I have bought a bike from a Fixed Gear builder and it honestly didn't last long. Now i'm riding a Nishiki fixed and its been one of the best rides. Here in the US its a whole different story, the fixed gear road bike riding is just now starting to get big here. This country is full of fat fucks, nobody likes the exercise.

For fixed gear bikes you should some decent Dutch ones, good sturdy things i.e. Raleigh, Gazelle, Batavus, Sparta are four that spring to mind.
Als for multiple gear bikes those brands are great. Non of them are racing bikes btw and are what we call city bikes.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2011 - 00:26
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2011 at 18:38

a lincense for rising a bicycle? I highly doubt that. And that helmet thing could be possible but totally stupid.

well, in Latvia, you're not allowed to be on a street with bike if you're less than 12 (or so) years old because it's not safe as you just don't know many traffic rules (kids learn them in order to pass an exam and get this licence). but, of course, kids are kids and they'll do what they want. I remember myself wandering around the town with my friends hardly knowing *anything* about safety...

if talking about fixed gear bikes... I've had two or three of those and, well, I don't see any particular reason for buying a bike like that again. I like mountain bikes better *and* have nothing against physical activities. if I go out in order to train leg muscles or something, I do that and don't try to freewheel whenever I feel like I'm tired.
20.10.2011 - 00:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ragana on 20.10.2011 at 00:26

well, in Latvia, you're not allowed to be on a street with bike if you're less than 12 (or so) years old because it's not safe as you just don't know many traffic rules (kids learn them in order to pass an exam and get this licence). but, of course, kids are kids and they'll do what they want. I remember myself wandering around the town with my friends hardly knowing *anything* about safety...

WTF ... since 7 I was riding in streets, never in big roads, but at 12 something around area and never ever I have been stoped, never ever used hellmeth, never ever have any problems, only when linch mob ride after me, wanna linch me, I run away (I was 113 other guy 11 I in karate kick hit out hos tooth, we fought for life ) and also other guy hmm I was 14 he wanted beat me, I kick his bike, he felth in watter and smash his head It was so cool ,
----

apos;'
[image]
20.10.2011 - 01:10
Ragana
Rawrcat
As I said, you cannot tell a kid what to do. and, of course, this only applies to the streets where there is any traffic.
well, I also have never had a helmet... or, in fact, my licence when I go out and I never show any signs when I'm about to make a turn (nobody does that, why the hell must we learn how to do it? besides, it looks like the police also has no idea we should do that).
20.10.2011 - 04:36
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff

Here you need a special license to ride a motorcycle, but definitely not a regular bicycle. That's just a terrible law.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 04:18
Mattybu
Written by Troy Killjoy on 20.10.2011 at 04:36

Here you need a special license to ride a motorcycle, but definitely not a regular bicycle. That's just a terrible law.

But most of us have a moose, polar bear, or beaver we ride for travelling from igloo to igloo anyways.
21.10.2011 - 04:25
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Mattybu on 21.10.2011 at 04:18
But most of us have a moose, polar bear, or beaver we ride for travelling from igloo to igloo anyways.

Actually I have a herd of polar bear in my back yard; I go seal hunting for them after work. A very eco-friendly choice, although my neighbor just upgraded to riding a direwolf and swears he cut his monthly gas bill in half.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 04:31
Mattybu
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 04:25

Written by Mattybu on 21.10.2011 at 04:18

Actually I have a herd of polar bear in my back yard; I go seal hunting for them after work. A very eco-friendly choice, although my neighbor just upgraded to riding a direwolf and swears he cut his monthly gas bill in half.

Eh.
22.10.2011 - 01:14
Ivor
Staff
On the matter of license and helmets. Estonia also has a law about young bicyclists who need a special license, don't remember until which age. It does make sense as it's a way to force some understanding of safety regulations and traffic rules down on them. Just to make them aware of the things. However, I don't know whether it's working and is enforced. They do enforce to have lights on the bikes for riding in the dark, that is, if they catch you without in the dark. As for helmets, you start respecting the thing. Our traffic is pretty bad and reckless towards cyclists. I've been using one for at least 5 years. However, to be fair, if you end up in an accident with the car, helmet ain't going to be much of a protection anyway.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
23.10.2011 - 07:16
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Elite
Yeah over here it isn't allowed for anyone over about 12-13 to ride their bikes on footpaths. They have to start riding on roads, with all the cars and everything. Since my car broke down recently I've been riding almost everywhere. The only other rules are wearing a helmet, having a roadworthy bike and having lights at night. We never have to get a licence or anything. Most primary schools over here though have a "bicycle education" thing for grade 4-5 children.

That fixie thing doesn't sound very appealing. Or all that safe even. What happens if you're screaming down a hill and your legs can't keep up? You'd just crash.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
23.10.2011 - 08:30
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Bikes are a big thing here in Toronto...everyone has a bike and most people get from point A-B on a bike..the transit here is top notch but still...
23.10.2011 - 15:51
UnholyMenace
Psycho
I used to have a special bicycle licence when i was 11 or 12 - not that it made any difference. Maybe things have changed but then it seemed pretty useless thing - sure there was a theoretical part, but instructions were ment for ideal or certain situations. And as we know, traffic isnt something where everything works like it is on the paper.

Bicycle is my only way of moving from april/march until october. I just recently sent my bike to hibernate because of all the roadworks and mud making it almost impossible to ride with. It is sad that in Estonia many drivers still think that a bicyclist is just a roadblock keeping them from arriving to their destination few minutes earlier.
28.10.2011 - 04:01
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2011 at 19:40

Written by Guest on 19.10.2011 at 19:30

For fixed gear bikes you should some decent Dutch ones, good sturdy things i.e. Raleigh, Gazelle, Batavus, Sparta are four that spring to mind.
Als for multiple gear bikes those brands are great. Non of them are racing bikes btw and are what we call city bikes.

No need for a racing back. All im doing is some commuting with it.
10.11.2011 - 04:03
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
BOULDER, Colo. -- A Boulder woman found her stolen bike on Craigslist, met the seller for a test ride and stole her bike back.
Kathryn Lucas parked her black Trek 1.2 road bike outside the Lazy Dog at 14th and Pearl Streets in Boulder on Friday night. She went into the sports bar to watch the University of Colorado football game against the University of Southern California.
"(I) came back out to get my bike to go home and my bike wasn't there," said Lucas.
She went online to fill out a Boulder police report. While online, she also started to search for her stolen bike on Craigslist.
"I knew that it wasn't uncommon for things to just show up," said Lucas.
She and her roommate searched the keyword, "Trek" and searched through the posts, looking at the photos of the bikes for sale.
"My roommate had seen it online. He said, 'I see your bike, it's on Craigslist,'" said Lucas.
The photo showed a bike with red-taped handle bars and a tail bumper of the rear tire.
"The red tape and the only one water bottle holder? yeah, this is definitely my bike," said Lucas.
Kathryn Arranged 'Test Ride'

She responded to the Craigslist ad. A Westminster police report obtained by 7NEWS identified the seller as a person using the name "Lance Robinson." The seller was actually 18-year-old Denzel O'Neal Crawford.
Lucas emailed Crawford, who then gave her his phone number.
"He said, 'Yeah, here's my number and I'll text you my address once you text me,'" said Lucas. "I thought, maybe that he would get nervous about meeting me. He had just stolen the bike."
Lucas said she never got an exact address, only an apartment complex. She called police, but without an exact address she didn't have them go with her.
"Once I got the address, I figured I could meet them and maybe the police could come later," said Lucas.
When she got to the apartment complex, she met Crawford and his brother near the pool.
"I didn't really say much to them. All I said was, 'Oh, this is the bike?" And they said, 'Yes.' And I said, 'Well, can I give it a test ride?' And they said, 'Yeah,'" said Lucas. "So, I started riding it and I knew it was my bike, so I just kept riding it. (I) rode it to my car and then threw it in my car and then drove away."
"Was that your plan the whole time?" asked 7NEWS reporter Marshall Zelinger.
"No," said Lucas. "They were a lot bigger than I thought they were. I thought it'd be like a little person that stole bikes and I'd be like, 'Hey, I called the police and that's my bike and you're trying to sell it to me,' but just took it for a ride and went with it."
She called police after she got her bike back to tell them the exact address.
"They told me for future reference that I probably would not want to do that by myself," said Lucas.

Source: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/money/29712338/detail.html
15.11.2011 - 15:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Raiden on 23.10.2011 at 07:16

That fixie thing doesn't sound very appealing. Or all that safe even. What happens if you're screaming down a hill and your legs can't keep up? You'd just crash.

Is that a serious question?
Simple, stop paddling and use the brakes.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.11.2011 - 18:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Fucking brakes... How do they work?!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
17.11.2011 - 19:48
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2011 at 15:53

Written by Raiden on 23.10.2011 at 07:16

Is that a serious question?
Simple, stop paddling and use the brakes.

Exactly. Either way your feet should be strapped in when riding a fixie. If not, prepare for some pain.
18.11.2011 - 15:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 19:48

Exactly. Either way your feet should be strapped in when riding a fixie. If not, prepare for some pain.

Here feet are never strapped in when riding a fixed gear bike. Feet are only strapped in with racing bikes.
Actually it's safer to have the feet free on the paddles cause when you fall you can use your feet as well. With strapped in feet it's much harder to unfree them and you might actually break your ankles or other parts of the feet.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2011 - 16:30
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I'd love to ride bikes more often. Problem is outside of parks and light strolling, Bucharest is not a bike-friendly city by any stretch, with narrow roads, incompetent driving (i think half of the drivers on the roads bribed their way at some point into getting their license), very few bike lanes, and lots of stray dogs in certain areas.

If I would ride a bike to the metro station where i take the metro to work, i'd cut at least 10-15 minutes off my daily commute and save me a shitload of taxi vouchers
18.11.2011 - 18:19
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 15:21

Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 19:48

Here feet are never strapped in when riding a fixed gear bike. Feet are only strapped in with racing bikes.
Actually it's safer to have the feet free on the paddles cause when you fall you can use your feet as well. With strapped in feet it's much harder to unfree them and you might actually break your ankles or other parts of the feet.

Sure.
Here the mass majority of fixed gear riders have their feet strapped in.
I have been riding fixed gear for over 4 years and have yet to fall. In fact I have never fallen off the bike. With bumps in the road, or really anything without the feet strapped in I have lost my foot and the peddle has tore up my legs. Ever since I have used straps, the problem has been solved. I just don't put myself in a situation where I would fall. Of course if I was riding anything but a fixed gear I wouldn't have my feet strapped in.