Metal Storm logo
Metallica - To Perform Entire Black Album At Download Festival 2012

Metallica will headline the 10th installment of the Download festival at Donington Park on Saturday, June 9th, 2012, with an exclusive U.K. performance of the band's album Metallica. It will be the eighth time the California metal titans will have played at Donington during their three-decade-long career, having previously performed at both Monsters Of Rock and Download festivals.

The band announced it on their official website: "And our first announcement brings us to the most hallowed of rock grounds, Donington Park, for our return to the Download Festival. The three day festival runs from June 8-10 and we take the stage right smack in the middle of it on Saturday, June 9, 2012."

"This year's European trek has a twist... to help celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Download Festival, the dudes who run it asked us how we felt about playing The Black Album in its entirety and we thought 'hold on, that could be really cool since it is technically the tail-end of the 20th anniversary of the release (August '91).' So come hang with us for the 2012 version of our European Summer Vacation featuring The Black Album, with the exclusive stop in the UK on June 9."

Download 2012 takes place at Donington Park on June 8-10, 2012. Weekend with camping tickets go on sale at 9 a.m. on Friday, November 18th, from this location.

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica
Posted: 13.11.2011 by TerrorZone

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 33   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 238 users
13.11.2011 - 13:39
malaikat
One question: are they ever going to play something out of LULU live? Ever?

Thought so.
13.11.2011 - 13:48
Angelic Storm
Melodious
The best thing about this is, at last maybe the best song on the album "Struggle Within" will finally be played live, as will "Don't Tread On Me" which has also never been played live.

@Malaikat: They already have, last week on a tv show over here they played some songs from "Lulu" live with Lou Reed. For your "viewing" pleasure! James' first public announcement of being a table.

13.11.2011 - 14:22
malaikat
Holy mother of god.

Plus, is this Jules Holland? I thought are they ever going to play it live in a concert, like "Lulu World Tour" or something (how many albums made by "great" bands are never promoted via touring? thats' right)

But this... Just wow.

EDIT: I love how James and Co. are trying to look "heavy" with all that forced body gestures. Overacting if I ever saw one done by a metal band.
13.11.2011 - 14:35
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:22
EDIT: I love how James and Co. are trying to look "heavy" with all that forced body gestures. Overacting if I ever saw one done by a metal band.

Shouldn't come as a surprise. It's not like they haven't been doing it all the time before.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.11.2011 - 14:39
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:22

Holy mother of god.

Plus, is this Jules Holland? I thought are they ever going to play it live in a concert, like "Lulu World Tour" or something (how many albums made by "great" bands are never promoted via touring? thats' right)

But this... Just wow.

Haha...

Yep, it's Jools Holland all right! His live music show is on every week over here. Well, Metallica are gearing up for their next album, so I don't think there'll be any world tour for "Lulu", which is a small mercy I guess. lol
13.11.2011 - 14:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Well, pretty cool if you ask me. James' voice probably suits best to perform the black album than any other. Of course, Kill 'Em All or Justice would be kind of more interesting to watch and for them to play but again, only as long as Kirk does not screw the soloing up. They played Master in 2006 and that was pretty awesome, so Black should be great too.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
13.11.2011 - 14:43
malaikat
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.11.2011 at 14:39

Haha...

Yep, it's Jools Holland all right! His live music show is on every week over here. Well, Metallica are gearing up for their next album, so I don't think there'll be any world tour for "Lulu", which is a small mercy I guess. lol

Aw, man, I miss Jools. They used to show the re-runs in my country, but they stopped after a couple of seasons, a damn shame

And, I agree, a small mercy on their behalf. Nay, a GREAT mercy actually :/
13.11.2011 - 14:57
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:43
Aw, man, I miss Jools. They used to show the re-runs in my country, but they stopped after a couple of seasons, a damn shame

And, I agree, a small mercy on their behalf. Nay, a GREAT mercy actually :/

Jools is awesome, he plays all different styles of music on his show, including metal. I really enjoy watching it. It's a shame you can't get it over there anymore.

It is a great mercy, "Lulu" is something best thought of as an unfortunate mistake and it should be forgotten as soon as possible. lol
13.11.2011 - 15:22
Unhealer
Eclecticist
This will be great. Sucks that they played MOP in 2006 and now BA in 2012... but no Justice on 2009?
Play "Frayed Ends of Sanity" sometime at least.

LOOOOOOOOOL at The View played live xD.
At 2:25 Lou Reed singing " WHO ACTIVELY DESPIIIIISES YOUUUUU" with that face and voice implying "GUYS WAKE UP FROM PLAYING THAT BORING RIFF, SWITCH TO JAMES'S SECTION WAS LIKE 10 SECONDS AGO" and then James warns Lars who probably was thinking of something else while playing.
13.11.2011 - 16:02
Nemo Atkins
Written by Unhealer on 13.11.2011 at 15:22

This will be great. Sucks that they played MOP in 2006 and now BA in 2012... but no Justice on 2009?

Well, Justice isn't as much of a classic album as Puppets (one of the three thrash masterpiece albums of '86) and The Black Album (one of the best selling albums of all time), but I agree, they really need to do some more stuff from Justice. Maybe "The Shortest Straw"...
13.11.2011 - 16:10
Warman
Erotic Stains
Entire black album live? So what? Yeah, I'd pay to see it and would probably be pleased afterwards. But I'd much rather have 12 songs from the first three albums.
----
13.11.2011 - 16:17
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Nemo Atkins on 13.11.2011 at 16:02

Well, Justice isn't as much of a classic album as Puppets (one of the three thrash masterpiece albums of '86) and The Black Album (one of the best selling albums of all time), but I agree, they really need to do some more stuff from Justice. Maybe "The Shortest Straw"...

But Justice is my favorite album, doesn't Metallica care about that? Huh? Don't they care about me?
They just won't stop betraying their fans... I hate them!!!!! MOMMYYYYY!!!!

BTW, they are playing the shortest straw lately. I think they are only missing "Frayed" and "To Live is to Die" live.
13.11.2011 - 16:37
Nemo Atkins
Written by Unhealer on 13.11.2011 at 16:17

But Justice is my favorite album, doesn't Metallica care about that? Huh? Don't they care about me?
They just won't stop betraying their fans... I hate them!!!!! MOMMYYYYY!!!!

BTW, they are playing the shortest straw lately. I think they are only missing "Frayed" and "To Live is to Die" live.

Well, they can't really get any lower after releasing Lulu.

I didn't know about the last bit. Well, here's hopes to "Frayed" being played live.
13.11.2011 - 16:45
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Nemo Atkins on 13.11.2011 at 16:37

Well, they can't really get any lower after releasing Lulu.

Yes, they can.

Imagine Metallica trying to do drone, because some random musician wanted to collab with them.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
13.11.2011 - 16:53
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by vezzy on 13.11.2011 at 16:45

Yes, they can.

Imagine Metallica trying to do drone, because some random musician wanted to collab with them.

Then I... Jizzed.In.My Pants

Sunn O))) and Metallica collaboration please. Well, I don't think that is going to happen after the song title for their cover of For Whom the Bell Tolls
13.11.2011 - 18:40
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by malaikat on 13.11.2011 at 14:43

Well here is one idiot who never watched those reruns
----
7.0 means the album is good
13.11.2011 - 19:35
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.11.2011 at 13:48
For your "viewing" pleasure! James' first public announcement of being a table.

*approves*
I see what you did there. lulz for everyone! x3
13.11.2011 - 20:20
Mattybu
Damn you think they could at least play all of Lulu, then they wouldn't be playing their worst album in it's entirety!!
13.11.2011 - 20:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
After bulu or zulu whatw as name of that crap they wanna go beck to old glory days, it wont work, its eb fun non would attend
Zullus are in Birmingham
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.11.2011 - 21:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Why not Lulu?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.11.2011 - 22:34
sbgmetal
The black album really? fudge that shit
14.11.2011 - 01:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious

Yep, Frayed Ends Of Sanity is a song that they've never played live in full, which is a shame as it is an awesome song.

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 13.11.2011 at 19:35
*approves*
I see what you did there. lulz for everyone! x3

I actually thought about not using quotation marks, but I decided that putting them in would help people get what I was meaning. xD
14.11.2011 - 05:21
JCJen7
I feel like I have been misunderstanding something this whole time. To me, it sounds like James clearly says "tablet" not "table"....am I missing a joke somewhere?
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
14.11.2011 - 05:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by JCJen7 on 14.11.2011 at 05:21
To me, it sounds like James clearly says "tablet" not "table"....am I missing a joke somewhere?

People misinterpreting Hetfield?
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.11.2011 - 07:55
Ritual_Suicide
Account deleted
Why people still expect these guys to make anything even half-decent is beyond me.
14.11.2011 - 08:47
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by JCJen7 on 14.11.2011 at 05:21

I feel like I have been misunderstanding something this whole time. To me, it sounds like James clearly says "tablet" not "table"....am I missing a joke somewhere?

To me, James only sings "tablet" once. (and there's no mistaking it, he definitely sings it once) In his vocal section near the end of the song, it sounds very much like he's saying "table" not tablet. In any case, he's not just a table, he's the view, the progress, the aggressor, the 10 storeys... Obviously Lou Reed saying he's actively despised just before that section makes James angry...

Written by Guest on 14.11.2011 at 07:55

Why people still expect these guys to make anything even half-decent is beyond me.

Because their last album actually was decent...
14.11.2011 - 09:33
JCJen7
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.11.2011 at 08:47

To me, James only sings "tablet" once. (and there's no mistaking it, he definitely sings it once) In his vocal section near the end of the song, it sounds very much like he's saying "table" not tablet.

Oh, i guess I have never gotten that far into the song
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
15.11.2011 - 08:39
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Yay a set full of boring mid-tempo heavy metal... Fuck that.
----
THRASH!!!
15.11.2011 - 10:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by JCJen7 on 14.11.2011 at 09:33
Oh, i guess I have never gotten that far into the song

Aha! Now it makes sense why you've never heard "I am the table".

Written by Irritable Ted on 14.11.2011 at 22:36

I've always liked the Black Album. It was my first taste of Metallica. They have not done anything as good as this since and its sooo much better than Justice (did I hear the bass?...No thought not).

I like the Black Album, although I think Justice is better. But the fact there's literally no bass in the album mix is something that's always irritated me about that album's sound. Great songs, awful production. Bob Rock takes a lot of flak, and most of it justified. But I can't deny he did a great production job on the Black Album. Every instrument sounds great, including the (now audible) bass. lol
15.11.2011 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Angelic Storm on 13.11.2011 at 13:48

The best thing about this is, at last maybe the best song on the album "Struggle Within" will finally be played live, as will "Don't Tread On Me" which has also never been played live.

I am pretty sure they have played 'Don't Tread On Me' live during their headlining tour they did to promote Metallica. Of the three shows they did in Rotterdam on I think four nights I can clearly remember them playing it twice.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 4142 | This month: 9