Metal Storm logo
The Universe

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 15.10.2006 - 08:17
No way, there is no thread about the universe in Metalstorm? Was there ever one?

Anyway, the universe is always a great thing to talk about as it always sparks up many debates. I personally beleive that our universe is part of a galaxy that is a part of many galaxies that is part of many nebulas, etc... that exist inside of a layer (a molecular outer film that is very thick and is very hot) that seperates us from other nebulas that also have layers around them; you could call them shields if you want. Basically, that everything inside of our layer would consist of humanoid life. There would thus be multiple constructs of this sort orbiting around that hold different alien lifeforms all made up of a collection of nebulas. All matter around these great orbiting constructs would be simply nothing; not even space; just empty white space. Another arguement one could further get into is that there is one great being, even greater then God, who would control all of these orbiting contructs of multple alien lifeform, including our own, which would doubt my beleif in God very much. I would pawn God off to a being much more powerful then himself who controls all layered nebulas of alien lifeforms outside of our own plane (but that's not a discussion to be held in here...maybe...maybe not...)

Discuss...
20.12.2006 - 22:21
Mindheist
No Longer Human
@ morbid_freak and Nervel:

I think the first question which rightly should be asked is why is there something rather than nothing? when you come to a satisfactory result to it, you can then, answer any question. Leibniz answered this question by arguing that something exists rather than nothing because a necessary being exists which carries within itself its reason for existence and is the sufficient reason for the existence of all contingent being. Well, if you want further informations, go please to the topics entitled 'Islam' and read attentively my posts, i think you'll come to what you are looking for.( long but useful). Thanks a lot for reading.
28.09.2007 - 14:56
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
The whole concept ov there being many galaxies seems very weird for me, I find it very very difficult to believe. It's too Sci-Fi themed.
29.09.2007 - 01:33
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 28.09.2007 at 14:56

The whole concept ov there being many galaxies seems very weird for me, I find it very very difficult to believe. It's too Sci-Fi themed.

Do you mean many universes? because many galaxies is a very real fact.
29.09.2007 - 01:39
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.09.2007 at 01:33

sorry, yes, many universes is what I meant!

it was still early when i post that man
29.09.2007 - 01:46
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.09.2007 at 01:39

Haha, yeah many universes seems almost beyond comprehension. I'm not sure about that.
01.10.2007 - 03:41
b0000mst1ck
i read an article in a scientific american journal a few weeks back about what you guys are talking about, that whole multiple universes thing. it's called the multiverse concept. extremely difficult to understand/comprehend (unless you're good at math, which i'm not). but the article basically said it's almost proven that there are multiple universes that exist, and that there are even multiple copies of YOU. the only reason it hasn't been proven is because our technology isn't advanced enough to see that far into space, yet. they've even gone as far as breaking it down into different possibilities or stages, having four levels altogether.

you can check it out more by going to www.sciam.com
01.10.2007 - 21:28
Pinusar
Account deleted
I think it had something to do with electrons being simultaneosly in more than one place, which is somehow connected to infinite parallel universes but I'm not sure. Would probably be a good idea to reasearch more about this subject, it's quite interesting. Although it might quite be a pointless struggle because maybe all my attempts to comprehend universe have no hope of success, but lets see
02.10.2007 - 00:28
b0000mst1ck
yeah, once you break it down and get into the details of the concept it has a lot to do with what you mentioned. imo as humans it's hard to understand something so vast as infinite copies of our universe. most people can't even comprehend this one on it's own.

but good luck!
03.10.2007 - 23:14
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Guest on 29.09.2007 at 01:46

Written by Guest on 29.09.2007 at 01:39

Haha, yeah many universes seems almost beyond comprehension. I'm not sure about that.

Well, yeah, I dont think its impossible, but then, there must be some even 'bigger' (or infinite) realm in which those universes are, because, its natural that everything is part of something bigger, I think....
----
03.10.2007 - 23:17
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Stalker on 03.10.2007 at 23:14

Well, yeah, I dont think its impossible, but then, there must be some even 'bigger' (or infinite) realm in which those universes are, because, its natural that everything is part of something bigger, I think....

Is it? It must end somewhere, musn't it?
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
03.10.2007 - 23:53
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Lucas on 03.10.2007 at 23:17

Written by Stalker on 03.10.2007 at 23:14

Is it? It must end somewhere, musn't it?

Well, whats beyond that END then??? It can end only in somethng that is infinite IMO.
----
04.10.2007 - 00:11
duyhung
Account deleted
i agree with Ed Hunter. The universe never ends, that's my opinion.. But how it started is always a thing that interests me a lot. i mean i've never felt totally satisfactory with all those explanations about universe's beginning
04.10.2007 - 00:31
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Yeah, and the other possible answer I thought off many times is, that it can be something beyond our comprehension. I mean we see things as finite or infinite, what if there are actually more levels to that... I cant express myself very well, but, as some animals see only in black and white, they could never know the colors or their existence, so we humans, also might be unable to comprehend some things of more delicate nature. Something like that.
----
04.10.2007 - 10:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Stalker on 03.10.2007 at 23:53

Well, whats beyond that END then??? It can end only in somethng that is infinite IMO.

It ends in something infinite? That makes no sense.

But I do think I understand what you mean. And I got no reply to that, simply cause I haven't got a clue either.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
04.10.2007 - 14:03
Øyvind
Grave Digger
Written by Stalker on 04.10.2007 at 00:31

as some animals see only in black and white, they could never know the colors or their existence, so we humans, also might be unable to comprehend some things of more delicate nature. Something like that.

I completely agree. We are still too small to comprehend something as huge as the universe, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't continue trying to understand it. You know how they say, never say never...
----
04.10.2007 - 16:02
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Lucas on 04.10.2007 at 10:21

Written by Stalker on 03.10.2007 at 23:53

It ends in something infinite? That makes no sense.

Maybe you didnt understand me as Id like... I mean something like this: you sit in your room, room is int the house, house is in the street, street is in the town.... ...planet is in the solar system, which is in the galaxy, galaxies are in the universe.... and than, you have 2 solutions, either the chain continues, or universe is infinite.
Kinda primitive explanation, but I hope you understood what I mean.
----
04.10.2007 - 18:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Stalker on 04.10.2007 at 16:02

I mean something like this: you sit in your room, room is int the house, house is in the street, street is in the town.... ...planet is in the solar system, which is in the galaxy, galaxies are in the universe.... and than, you have 2 solutions, either the chain continues, or universe is infinite.

Ok, I see what you mean. But whereas the continuation of the chain would result in endless enlargement, saying the Universe is infinite is a bit simply put, IMO. But it being finite and thus there being a borderline is also quite weird to think of.

So we disagree, as it seems. I'd personally like the idea of it being some sort of a circle, thus combining both ideas. There is always something behind the border, but it is also infinite. Not sure if this is actually possible and if scientists will agree, but it is my little theory.
----

04.10.2007 - 22:05
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 04.10.2007 at 18:53

Written by Stalker on 04.10.2007 at 16:02

I mean something like this: you sit in your room, room is int the house, house is in the street, street is in the town.... ...planet is in the solar system, which is in the galaxy, galaxies are in the universe.... and than, you have 2 solutions, either the chain continues, or universe is infinite.

Ok, I see what you mean. But whereas the continuation of the chain would result in endless enlargement, saying the Universe is infinite is a bit simply put, IMO. But it being finite and thus there being a borderline is also quite weird to think of.

So we disagree, as it seems. I'd personally like the idea of it being some sort of a circle, thus combining both ideas. There is always something behind the border, but it is also infinite. Not sure if this is actually possible and if scientists will agree, but it is my little theory.

I don't think the universe goes forever, in the sense that is regularly accepted. I think it has an end, but since the universe involves all of existence, it's easy for me to see that beyond that, there is no need for another existence. I think the reason we usually see a need for something beyond the universe, because we've accepted our universe's physical laws, which would make it seem impossible for our universe to be all that there is, while still growing. Usually one would think it needs something to grow into, an outside space, but if the Universe is all the space there is, and there is nothing besides the universe, then why would we think this?

EDIT: However, if the universe is all that there is, doesn't that make it infinite? It goes untill the end of existence - I don't think there's anything more infinite than that.
12.10.2007 - 08:55
b0000mst1ck
@ astronaut...the copernican principle states that there isn't a preference, or starting point, to the universe. (i'm not explaining it, so look it up.) given that there isn't a starting point, what means there'd be an end? just something to think about...
13.10.2007 - 00:07
Asphyxia
Account deleted
Written by b0000mst1ck on 12.10.2007 at 08:55

@ astronaut...the copernican principle states that there isn't a preference, or starting point, to the universe. (i'm not explaining it, so look it up.) given that there isn't a starting point, what means there'd be an end? just something to think about...

What do you mean by a 'starting point'?
13.10.2007 - 22:57
b0000mst1ck
Written by Guest on 13.10.2007 at 00:07

Written by b0000mst1ck on 12.10.2007 at 08:55

What do you mean by a 'starting point'?

lol, after reading what i posted i feel like an ass. that's what you get for trying to post something at 5 in the morning. i'll try to be more specific.

before the 16th century, earth was considered to be the starting point of our solar system. around that time nicolaus copernicus came up with the theory that the earth wasn't the starting point of our solar system, being that the other planets didn't revolve around us.

taking that into consideration, you can't assume the sun is the starting point, either. yes, everything rotates around it, but that's only because of gravitational pull.

so given that there isn't a definite starting point in our solar system, but merely a center instead, then what gives us any reason to dub a certain point as the end?

since we haven't figured out what exactly is the starting point, then how can space as a whole be finite? our solar system doesn't have a starting point, nor an end. so if we're talking on a larger scale, as in space itself, where's the starting point, and where's the end?
13.11.2007 - 03:34
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
@harbinger: well something that is infinite, does it necessarily have to have a starting point
14.11.2007 - 22:58
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Guest on 13.11.2007 at 03:34

@harbinger: well something that is infinite, does it necessarily have to have a starting point

Well, of course not. Like in simple maths, you have that line that has no end nor beginning...
----
15.11.2007 - 12:29
b0000mst1ck
Written by Guest on 13.11.2007 at 03:34

yes, it does...and that's called the big bang. the universe didn't just come from nothing. just recently scientists have started speculating that the big bang was the result of a violent reaction within a singularity; ie: something not even as big as an atom. so that, in turn, was the starting point. it's just a matter of where that starting point WAS. it's hard to fathom, i know, but singularities have been proven through studies of black holes.

also, let me point out that i'm a firm believer in space being infinite. the universe has been expanding constantly since the big bang, which was over 13 billion years ago. the only way space couldn't be infinite is if something was constricting it, or if it ran out of room to expand. and if the universe hasn't "bumped into anything" yet, i'm comfortable in saying it probably never will.
15.11.2007 - 14:40
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
hmmmm wow thanks to both ov you, it's like a very profound Philosophy class
16.11.2007 - 01:13
b0000mst1ck
you're very welcome. talking about the universe is one of my favorite topics.
25.11.2007 - 22:18
Pinusar
Account deleted
Hm, it is quite an interesting topic. If universe is expanding, then what was in the space, where universe hadn't yet expanded, before it expanded there.

Like at the expense of what does it expand? (I think it is hard to give certain answers to such questions but everyone can give their opinion/speculate.)
26.11.2007 - 01:07
Ernis
狼獾
I roughly remember from a documentary film we watched at school in physics class that universe was like a loaf of bread...and that bread was sliced and these slices of bread were covered with jam...therefore, the dimensions and parallel universes and realities are next to each other like the slices of bread or the jam between the slices...so..it depends on which slice you are at the moment(or in which jam) and that it should be possible to go from one slice to another....
26.11.2007 - 02:18
b0000mst1ck
Written by Guest on 25.11.2007 at 22:18

Hm, it is quite an interesting topic. If universe is expanding, then what was in the space, where universe hadn't yet expanded, before it expanded there.

Like at the expense of what does it expand? (I think it is hard to give certain answers to such questions but everyone can give their opinion/speculate.)

i'd say nothing. scientists still haven't figured out all aspects of the big bang, let alone what (if anything) existed before it. actually, we'll probably never know.

and as far as expansion, there aren't opinions or speculations, it's been proven that the universe IS expanding. it has been since the big bang (extremely slowly), and it'll keep expanding until it either bumps into something else, or reverses through the big bump, then crunch. at that point the universe will revert back to what it was before the big bang.
26.11.2007 - 02:25
b0000mst1ck
Written by Ernis on 26.11.2007 at 01:07

I roughly remember from a documentary film we watched at school in physics class that universe was like a loaf of bread...and that bread was sliced and these slices of bread were covered with jam...therefore, the dimensions and parallel universes and realities are next to each other like the slices of bread or the jam between the slices...so..it depends on which slice you are at the moment(or in which jam) and that it should be possible to go from one slice to another....

IF there are parallel universes we won't live to discover them. the closest possible multiverse, from us is around 10 to the 10th power, to the 29th power (in meters) from us. we haven't even come close to seeing that far with a telescope yet.

but the slice of bread thing is a good comparison to that theory.