Metal Storm logo
Soilwork

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.05.2006 - 12:33
One of the best gothenburg style bands ever in my opinion, despite their last album which although wasn't that bad, certainly was their weakest.

I totally dig Speed as a vocalist, his clean vocals are sublime (especially on the later work) and his screams are very much above average. The groovy riffs are catchy as hell and overrall the songwriting is brilliant.

I do prefer their more melodic stuff ala, 'A Predators Portrait' through to 'Figure Number Five' but 'Natural Born Chaos' for me is their masterpiece.
08.03.2008 - 11:57
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah, I hope you like it. It's not nearly as creative as The Chainheart Machine, but it's still worth buying.
09.03.2008 - 03:11
b0000mst1ck
i think a predator's portrait was a good attempt at incorporating melody into their music as a main influence. after that album...well, we all know what happened after that.
09.03.2008 - 11:24
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
According to most of you after A Predator's Portrait Soilwork are forgettable, what about the first album? Steelbath Suicide, is that any good?
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.03.2008 - 11:30
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I haven't listened to it in a loooooooooooong time, but I remember it being pretty raw and uninteresting.
12.03.2008 - 00:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
wtf
12.03.2008 - 11:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
lol
----

My Instagram
12.03.2008 - 11:29
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
I knwon that tastes differ from person ot person but that remark about Tool must have been the lamest post I have seen in the 4.5 years I have been on Metal Storm for.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.03.2008 - 02:18
fadman
Soilwork & IN Flames r both the best 2 band in melodic death (gothenburg) style
and espcially the unique thing, about the clean vocal in chorus
29.03.2008 - 10:13
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by fadman on 29.03.2008 at 02:18

and espcially the unique thing, about the clean vocal in chorus

LOL I'm not so sure that's unique xD
29.03.2008 - 13:50
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
No unique at all, sorry.
----

My Instagram
21.04.2008 - 04:39
MetalChick_91
Account deleted
hey people i saw soilwork!! =]
25.04.2008 - 04:32
fadman
Written by BloodTears on 29.03.2008 at 13:50

No unique at all, sorry.

it's ok,but tell me another melodic death metal band that has clean vocals in chorus
25.04.2008 - 10:22
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by fadman on 25.04.2008 at 04:32

No unique at all, sorry.

it's ok,but tell me another melodic death metal band that has clean vocals in chorus

I thought you meant its a unique thing to have clean vocals, not to have clean vocals on gothemburg bands. Of course having clean vocals isnt unique at all. But Dark Tranquillity use clean vocals, at least they do on some songs on the chorus (and sometimes on the entire song), although that is disappearing with each new album I think. They have "the mundane and the magic" on the last one and "misery's crown".

When I think of clean vocals on chorus I think about metalcore (not necessarily in a bad way) its just a characteristic. In some bands it works, I don't think it works for In Flames. But thats my personal taste anyway.
----

My Instagram
25.04.2008 - 21:39
Raining Blood
"The Chainheart Machine" and "Natural Born Chaos" are there fuckin best albums and I really like them overall. Their newer album isn't as good but they are one of my more favorite melodic - gothenburg death style band.
28.04.2008 - 01:44
fadman
Written by BloodTears on 25.04.2008 at 10:22

Written by fadman on 25.04.2008 at 04:32

No unique at all, sorry.

I thought you meant its a unique thing to have clean vocals, not to have clean vocals on gothemburg bands. Of course having clean vocals isnt unique at all. But Dark Tranquillity use clean vocals, at least they do on some songs on the chorus (and sometimes on the entire song), although that is disappearing with each new album I think. They have "the mundane and the magic" on the last one and "misery's crown".

When I think of clean vocals on chorus I think about metalcore (not necessarily in a bad way) its just a characteristic. In some bands it works, I don't think it works for In Flames. But thats my personal taste anyway.

it's ur point,but i think with In Flames it works and also Soilwork
ya Dark Tranquillity r gd,Arch enemy also
i think these 4 bands r best melodic death bands in Sweden
28.04.2008 - 02:45
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
To me this band went downhill after the chainheart machine, that was their best effort.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
12.05.2008 - 20:01
Mortiis
Account deleted
one of my fav bands,,,,
18.05.2008 - 11:09
FOOCK Nam
Speed's clean vocal is so beautiful. IMO Natural Born Chaos is such a masterpiece. I also enjoy Figure Number Five but I think Natural Born Chaos is their best work.

EDIT: check As We A Speak, Bringer, Soilworker's Song Of The Damned in Natural Born Chaos, you will know why I say Speed clean vocal is beautiful
21.05.2008 - 23:00
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
Yeah I like this band for their variety of good stuff

fav songs: Exile--kinda lighter rock but still good
sworn to a great divide-- good grooves here
23.05.2008 - 10:27
Kirnaim777
Account deleted
yeah! ntural born chaos is theire music master piece!!! it sounds like "brutal Kreator"
am i right?
26.05.2008 - 23:17
Gordon Freeman
Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 10:27

yeah! ntural born chaos is theire music master piece!!! it sounds like "brutal Kreator"
am i right?

I assume you are refering to Kreator...as in thrash metal legend Kreator. And so, no...no resemblence to Kreator...at all.

----
God Dammit Doug! Take off your hat, Night Moves is playing. Don't be a prick man!

http://www.last.fm/user/Axl_The_Viking
05.07.2008 - 22:10
Anders Hansson
Account deleted
i saw Soli 2 years ago in sweden
damn good live band i must say
01.08.2008 - 00:58
JudasChurch666
Account deleted
Natural Born Chaos is definitely my favorite album by Soilwork. Song of the Damned has to be the most powerful song on that album. Follow the Hollow is amazing too
09.09.2008 - 02:10
brapp32
I got a bunch of their CDs but I like the two newest ones the best. I saw them live with war of ages and through the eyes of the dead(they cancelled) but still a fun show.
04.10.2008 - 06:56
TheVonBraun
Account deleted
T-up.

Solid band. I like the mix of vocal styles as well as styles.
22.11.2008 - 03:23
metaldazza
Account deleted
I saw soilwork last night in London. I'm not a fan of their lighter stuff... but live they were really good fun. They put on a good show and the crowd was good. I took some pics and put them up http://www.newmetalarmy.com/events/view/15.

They were supported by Ananta and One-way Mirror. Both bands seemed very similar to Soilwork to be honest.
06.01.2009 - 19:27
MeloDeathViking
Soilwork is in my Top 10 bands and I suspect it will stay that way for a while. I really enjoy all their albums except Figure Number Five. I definitly like their older stuff the best though. Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos are my favorites. I'm glad Peter Wichers is back (don't know if I spelled his name right). Hopefully he can breath new life into their next album. I like Sworn to a Great Divide, but it just didn't have that same punch like their old stuff did.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
07.01.2009 - 03:38
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Well my theory for them is pretty much the same as what I hold for In Flames. Their newer stuff is shite, went downhill from FN5, as In Flames did around the same time with R2R - however they left us with enough decent/awesome music that I will continue to listen to them without ever again putting an ear on anything they've released the past 5 or so years.

Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos have enough stellar songs on them to last me a long time, and it has lasted a long time already. They, along with In Flames used to be my favourite bands short of a decade ago - but the new bands on the horizon such as Zonaria and Miseration along with the never-to-disappoint Hypocrisy will keep me going for quite some time to come in the Swedish Melodic Death arena.
15.01.2009 - 23:25
written in stone
Account deleted
Hey these guys are coming to my city i duno if i should see them, anyone seen them live? any reviews?
16.01.2009 - 19:48
Luciferion
Dunno how theya re live, but they are touring with Darkane, and Darkane is effin amazing. Going to teh show for them alone heh
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.