Metal Storm logo
Not sure about where to write in your vote? Ask here!

Original post

Posted by Milena, 04.02.2012 - 14:46
Since write-ins in not-so-appropriate genres will get nuked, if you're not sure where to place your vote, ask here and a staff/elite member will reply (well, I hope ). Obviously, some albums are pretty ambiguous when it comes to genre, so they can go either way, but if a band was in the nomination circle, you'll get a reply based on where the band was considered to go if it passed. I hope this is clear.

Also. Let's say a band was already nominated in category A but you wrote it in category B. Those votes will get deleted. They won't get added up. Why? Because there is no way we can know who cast which vote, so that would give you the opportunity to cheat - vote for a band in the regular category and write it in the other 20. So if you see a band in a genre you don't think it belongs in, don't play genre experts and vote it in that category. We all have different opinions of genre differences and nothing is strictly defined, but the nominees were based on the consensus of the entire staff/elite team. We're not perfect, but we have agreed on some things so that's the way it should go for these Awards.

The questions so far:
Sylosis? Should be in thrash.
Pain Of Salvation? Should be in prog.
Cormorant? The best guess is prog.
Protest The Hero? Prog.
06.02.2012 - 00:02
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 20:21

Not everyone would search the wall of text that is the write-ins for his favorite album in a category they probably didnt think of.

But that's what we call making an educated vote alternatively, they'll get a better response if they stop by this thread or PM a staff member.
----
7.0 means the album is good
06.02.2012 - 00:21
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Author on 05.02.2012 at 20:21

But then you're wasting at least 25% of the votes.. Not everyone would search the wall of text that is the write-ins for his favorite album in a category they probably didnt think of.

Losing that part of the votes is better than admit inacurracies in the results
I mean, consider that one person voted for Amon Amarth in melodeath. Fine. Then that person also voted for then as write-in death metal. If we totalled everything, it would be one extra vote for Amon Amarth. No way!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.02.2012 - 00:29
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 06.02.2012 at 00:21

Losing that part of the votes is better than admit inacurracies in the results
I mean, consider that one person voted for Amon Amarth in melodeath. Fine. Then that person also voted for then as write-in death metal. If we totalled everything, it would be one extra vote for Amon Amarth. No way!

Yea, it's a lose/lose. Why dont you guys just premake some write-ins for those uncertain albums, without the minireviews. Just so shit wont get mangled.
06.02.2012 - 00:34
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by Author on 06.02.2012 at 00:29

Yea, it's a lose/lose. Why dont you guys just premake some write-ins for those uncertain albums, without the minireviews. Just so shit wont get mangled.

Humm... I think we won't, honestly. Awards are quite a lot of work to organize, so we let people care about their votes. If they toss them carelessly, the best thing to do would be to treat them with the same lack of care.
At least it's how I see it.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
06.02.2012 - 00:38
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Darkside Momo on 06.02.2012 at 00:34

Humm... I think we won't, honestly. Awards are quite a lot of work to organize, so we let people care about their votes. If they toss them carelessly, the best thing to do would be to treat them with the same lack of care.
At least it's how I see it.

Good point. I take my suggestion back.
06.02.2012 - 10:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by psykometal on 05.02.2012 at 21:41

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 05.02.2012 at 19:40

pretty strange(again?!) to see Mastodon getting labels of Prog. even further going labeling nasty Djent, metalcore or what not. Shit. i love Mastodon but what i feel is they're a crossover Djent stuff who alters their genre from album to album...but fuck no! they never sounded like prog.!!. Peace. Serious Peace.

as far as I'm concerned they're a prog band.

Well, like I said too they keep changing their genre from album to album, i do agree that they sounded prog. in their latest output and evidently a fantastic album that they can ever come up with but if you see Crack The Skye woo...a hard hitting Stoner Metal shit. Absolute Stoner. Well, I still think they label themselves as Prog. but its totally different what they play. lets put them into "really new coined genre" Djent. they're perfectly fit there.
06.02.2012 - 14:22
Skøllgrim
Northern
I thought I'd write in David Gold's early passing, but I'm not sure if that would be labeled as biggest lettdown (for dying too early) or biggest surprise (for not expecting it) or is those categories STRICLY for albums? I remember earlier awards had event oriented categories.
06.02.2012 - 14:29
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Skøllgrim on 06.02.2012 at 14:22

I thought I'd write in David Gold's early passing, but I'm not sure if that would be labeled as biggest lettdown (for dying too early) or biggest surprise (for not expecting it) or is those categories STRICLY for albums? I remember earlier awards had event oriented categories.

Biggest surprise is for something positive usually. I remember people writing in the death of RJD in the biggest letdown on the last Awards (I was one of them) and I was thoroughly upset that people put Time not being released instead... I mean, geez, it's been several years in the making, the death of the most influential metal frontman is bigger news than that? So yeah, I'm not sure if it's proper to put it in the biggest letdown, since that's mostly for albums, but it's a more proper option than the biggest surprise.
----
06.02.2012 - 14:46
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by Milena on 06.02.2012 at 14:29

Biggest surprise is for something positive usually. I remember people writing in the death of RJD in the biggest letdown on the last Awards (I was one of them) and I was thoroughly upset that people put Time not being released instead... I mean, geez, it's been several years in the making, the death of the most influential metal frontman is bigger news than that? So yeah, I'm not sure if it's proper to put it in the biggest letdown, since that's mostly for albums, but it's a more proper option than the biggest surprise.

That was sort of what I was expecting and it makes perfect sense, thanks.
06.02.2012 - 14:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook

I do belive I put it in the Biggest Let Down.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.02.2012 - 15:01
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by Boxcar Willy on 06.02.2012 at 14:52

I do belive I put it in the Biggest Let Down.

There's nothing stopping you from moving your votes. Collective effort is important.
Also I've noticed that if you write in something, and then delete it, the text remains? That would explain a lot of ridicules write ins, as people are just trolling all over the place.
06.02.2012 - 15:23
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Skøllgrim on 06.02.2012 at 15:01

There's nothing stopping you from moving your votes. Collective effort is important.
Also I've noticed that if you write in something, and then delete it, the text remains? That would explain a lot of ridicules write ins, as people are just trolling all over the place.

I don't think they understand that no one thinks that's funny nor amusing, but idiots will be idiots I guess
----
06.02.2012 - 20:22
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Just wondering... where should I consider voting Evanescence's latest? To compare against the Staff picked for that category and decide based on that.

I was guessing Hard Rock or Heavy / Melodic Metal, right? Alternative maybe? And they were never considered Gothic Metal but now they kinda got close with the latest release...
Metal genre scientist, help me here.
06.02.2012 - 21:38
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 06.02.2012 at 20:22

Just wondering... where should I consider voting Evanescence's latest? To compare against the Staff picked for that category and decide based on that.

I was guessing Hard Rock or Heavy / Melodic Metal, right? Alternative maybe? And they were never considered Gothic Metal but now they kinda got close with the latest release...
Metal genre scientist, help me here.

I personally believe they belong in Alternative (based on my limited experience with the band) but they might fall into Gothic nowadays, I haven't listened to anything since The Fallen cuz I didn't like the direction they headed after that but even The Fallen I would consider Alternative rock/Hard rock but I've seen lots of others calling them Gothic. Another issue to worry about though is whether or not the Staff are allowing bands in the Awards that don't have a page here on MS...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

06.02.2012 - 21:47
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by psykometal on 06.02.2012 at 21:38

I personally believe they belong in Alternative (based on my limited experience with the band) but they might fall into Gothic nowadays, I haven't listened to anything since The Fallen cuz I didn't like the direction they headed after that but even The Fallen I would consider Alternative rock/Hard rock but I've seen lots of others calling them Gothic. Another issue to worry about though is whether or not the Staff are allowing bands in the Awards that don't have a page here on MS...

Oh, I didn't consider that I might not be able to vote those... let's see what Mora or other members have to say about that.

In my opinion they got better with each album. I consider their latest as better than the two previous together, I like how it is so band oriented.
06.02.2012 - 22:10
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
Written by Unhealer on 06.02.2012 at 21:47

Oh, I didn't consider that I might not be able to vote those... let's see what Mora or other members have to say about that.
In my opinion they got better with each album. I consider their latest as better than the two previous together, I like how it is so band oriented.

Yea Mora should be on some time soon and she's sure to answer. I might give them another shot but I honestly doubt it because I haven't had any interest in Gothic rock/metal in many years. I fell deeply in love with the Gothic genre about 5 years ago and listened to every single gothic band I could get my hands on but after like a month or so the luster wore off and it all began to sound so generic and boring and I just haven't had any interest in the genre since then.
----

06.02.2012 - 22:16
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by psykometal on 06.02.2012 at 22:10

Yea Mora should be on some time soon and she's sure to answer. I might give them another shot but I honestly doubt it because I haven't had any interest in Gothic rock/metal in many years. I fell deeply in love with the Gothic genre about 5 years ago and listened to every single gothic band I could get my hands on but after like a month or so the luster wore off and it all began to sound so generic and boring and I just haven't had any interest in the genre since then.

Exactly the same happened to me, man. Gothic seems so dead to me now, but that album surely surprised me with all the low expectations that I had when checking it out.
I suggest you to try it

In fact, if possible, I might vote them for biggest surpise also
07.02.2012 - 10:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Elite
MaYaN should go into Symphonic category right Staff?
----

07.02.2012 - 14:12
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by psykometal on 07.02.2012 at 10:08

I think it's a Indie stuff!! well, i've never spin their stuff pretty much but of what i've figure it out( from the few songs) they're a perfect indie band. Prog.?1 may be...not sure!!
07.02.2012 - 15:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.02.2012 at 14:12

I think it's a Indie stuff!! well, i've never spin their stuff pretty much but of what i've figure it out( from the few songs) they're a perfect indie band. Prog.?1 may be...not sure!!

Mayan indie?
It is 100% metal
Maybe you're confusing Mayan woth a diofferent band called Mayan? We're talking about http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mayan/3540328348 Just looking at the members making up this band it's already clear that it can't be indie at all.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2012 - 15:19
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.02.2012 at 15:14

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.02.2012 at 14:12

Mayan indie?
It is 100% metal
Maybe you're confusing Mayan woth a diofferent band called Mayan? We're talking about http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mayan/3540328348 Just looking at the members making up this band it's already clear that it can't be indie at all.

Holyfuck! I slipped off. I thought he was talking about The Mayan Factor shit! my bad shot.
07.02.2012 - 15:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.02.2012 at 15:19

Holyfuck! I slipped off. I thought he was talking about The Mayan Factor shit! my bad shot.

yep totally different band and that one IS Indie
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.02.2012 - 15:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.02.2012 at 15:30

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 07.02.2012 at 15:19

yep totally different band and that one IS Indie

*seeing your comment and feeling....see above*
07.02.2012 - 16:14
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff

No, they're nominated already in melodeath. We had a discussion, but in the end, we decided that it has a lot less symphonic elements than the other symph nominees.
----
07.02.2012 - 16:20
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by psykometal on 06.02.2012 at 22:10

Written by Unhealer on 06.02.2012 at 21:47

Hmmmm, I don't think it should be anywhere due to the fact the band is blacklisted here... we haven't even considered it though I know some people here like them. It shouldn't be in gothic and it shouldn't be in symphonic, that I know. Alternative sounds best. I would put it there.
----
07.02.2012 - 17:00
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 07.02.2012 at 16:20

Hmmmm, I don't think it should be anywhere due to the fact the band is blacklisted here... we haven't even considered it though I know some people here like them. It shouldn't be in gothic and it shouldn't be in symphonic, that I know. Alternative sounds best. I would put it there.

It's ok, I won't vote them if they are blacklisted. I'll just try to keep my hipster impulses at bay
07.02.2012 - 17:07
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 07.02.2012 at 17:00

It's ok, I won't vote them if they are blacklisted. I'll just try to keep my hipster impulses at bay

I'm not sure if that is a rule (I'm only telling stuff of which I'm absolutely sure of in this thread), but if it is, you'll be wasting your vote, so the smarter thing would be to give it to someone else
----
07.02.2012 - 17:31
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 07.02.2012 at 17:07

I'm not sure if that is a rule (I'm only telling stuff of which I'm absolutely sure of in this thread), but if it is, you'll be wasting your vote, so the smarter thing would be to give it to someone else

Yeah, I guess there are other bands that deserve the vote rather than a full mainstream band that already has all the votes from MTV
Let's see what I can find...
07.02.2012 - 17:32
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Unhealer on 07.02.2012 at 17:31

Let's see what I can find...

If you're talking about the alternative category... I haven't heard anything but Fluxious there but they're pretty awesome.
Edit: I forgot you already like Fluxious
----
07.02.2012 - 17:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Milena on 07.02.2012 at 17:32

If you're talking about the alternative category... I haven't heard anything but Fluxious there but they're pretty awesome.
Edit: I forgot you already like Fluxious

Wow, I learned about them on the Debut Album category... I didn't know I could vote them there also.
I also like Amebix from the Alt category, I've been listening to them for a while. I guess I'll have to decide later after I get more into Fluxious.

BTW, it's funny that In Flames ended up there