Metal Storm logo
Cynic

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 18.05.2006 - 13:47
Their only album 'Focus' blew me away... They are such an original band and are so technical... IMO, the album is a masterpiece and its such a shame that they didnt release another...

Im surprised a topic hasnt been created about them yet, So... what does everyone else think?
09.07.2007 - 14:11
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
The new song entitled "Evolutionary Sleeper", has been made available for download here. The track was recorded live during the band's June 29, 2007 appearance at the Hovefestivalen in Arendal, Norway. Enjoy.
09.07.2007 - 19:44
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
They're really polite when they're live eh...That song was alright but it wasn't great...I was expecting death metal vocals but there were none! It didn't really sound much like a song, more like a jam...I just hope that when they finally get around to putting out an album, it won't be full of songs like that...
26.07.2007 - 12:13
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Cynic have confirmed a headlining show at SKC in Belgrade, Serbia on August 14. A poster for the concert can be found here.
26.07.2007 - 16:12
APOHAKC
The Bard
Yup, I heard this yesterday, they could tell us little earlier, but what now, I am going to spare some cash, although I am not fan of theirs, they are big band, and it is definitely worthy to make an appearance on their show, experience more for sure.
Btw. Ticket is 1300 dinars, or 13-14 euros
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
27.07.2007 - 11:32
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Also they have been confirmed for the Maximum Rock Festival (source here)
15.08.2007 - 20:16
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Cynic's performance at the Maximum Rock Festival is available now online. You can watch the entire show at this location on Metalcharge.

The group's setlist was as follows:

01. Veil of Maya
02. Celestial Voyage
03. The Eagle Nature
04. Sentiment
05. I'm But A Wave To?
06. Evolutionary Sleeper
07. Textures
08. Uroboric Forms
09. Cosmos
10. How Could I
10.03.2008 - 17:00
kesh
Account deleted
A song inspired by Cynic. Listen to: Unholy - for the unknown one

Tell me what you think. Pasi elludes to Focus been the inspiration for this song off Rapture.

[edit]

love Uroboric Forms
05.06.2008 - 19:23
ylside
Staff
A 2008 Promo has leaked on the net ! It contains two songs and Evolutionary Sleeper Live.
26.06.2008 - 22:58
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
19.09.2008 - 00:21
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
I can honestly say I found the new album to be horrifically awful in pretty much every way. It's probaby just a matter of my taste but it just didn't go anyway and was just gah! I was never as into 'Focus' as most but I enjoyed it and because I had no expectations for the new one I thought I'd enjoy that too but nope. Just found the overall sound and style to be incredible "la la la." I'd give a more in depth and impartial review of it but no way am I going near that again.

People on Last.fm seem to be loving it but I'm wondering if it's just denial =P
19.09.2008 - 00:34
SK921
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 00:21

I can honestly say I found the new album to be horrifically awful in pretty much every way. It's probaby just a matter of my taste but it just didn't go anyway and was just gah! I was never as into 'Focus' as most but I enjoyed it and because I had no expectations for the new one I thought I'd enjoy that too but nope. Just found the overall sound and style to be incredible "la la la." I'd give a more in depth and impartial review of it but no way am I going near that again.

I don't think its denial because I'm listening to it as we speak and its probably one of the best death metal albums to come out of 08 for me right now. I'm actually enjoying it more then Focus. =/
19.09.2008 - 00:38
VELVET (O)
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 00:34

I don't think its denial because I'm listening to it as we speak and its probably one of the best death metal albums to come out of 08 for me right now. I'm actually enjoying it more then Focus. =/

I think my problem is that I hear very little death or thrash metal in there. There's no pace, no excitement, no anything really. I might give it another go six months down the line but I think for the moment I'll just stick with the new Gojira
19.09.2008 - 17:29
SK921
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 00:38

Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 00:34

I think my problem is that I hear very little death or thrash metal in there. There's no pace, no excitement, no anything really. I might give it another go six months down the line but I think for the moment I'll just stick with the new Gojira

Ah, I guess I'm totally different. I can pretty much listen to anything from "Anaal Nathrakh" to "God Speed You! Black Emperor". Although I can understand where you're coming from. There is more jazz fusion in this album more then Focus. New Gojira, I have yet to listen to it. I highly it beats From Mars To Sirus.
30.09.2008 - 21:57
Galar
Wicked Mung
Okay, Traced in Air is seriously on par with Focus...
What a band, what an album, so glad they are back together!!!
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
30.09.2008 - 22:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Traced In Air is currently the single biggest disappointment of the year for me. It is too relaxed, nto even the slightest sense of danger to it. It is just bland and the vodoers kills it off totally for me. I liked the vocoder on Focus but here it is overdone. Traced IN Air is more suitable as music to meditate to, it is totally zen. Like Velvet said there is no pace, no excitement.
I'll just stick to Focus and the new Gojira which at times sound way more Cynic than the new Cynic does.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.10.2008 - 03:08
ylside
Staff
I liked Traced In Air. It's allright
Can't elaborate right now, maybe after the 50th spin or so... lol
05.10.2008 - 00:10
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Galar on 30.09.2008 at 21:57

totally agree with u...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
05.10.2008 - 00:20
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by nana.MD on 05.10.2008 at 00:10

totally agree with u...

I'm warming up to it... I think people who weren't expecting to hear "Focus II" or at least something similar seem to enjoy it more...
I've been falling asleep to it every night and it is slowly becoming an integral part of my sleep cycle...
05.10.2008 - 00:40
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Introspekrieg on 05.10.2008 at 00:20

Written by nana.MD on 05.10.2008 at 00:10

totally agree with u...

I'm warming up to it... I think people who weren't expecting to hear "Focus II" or at least something similar seem to enjoy it more...
I've been falling asleep to it every night and it is slowly becoming an integral part of my sleep cycle...

hahaha it will become part of u...u'll see!!
...yeah maybe that's true...most ppl expected something very similar...i was only expecting something good, not easy for them to disappoint me
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
05.10.2008 - 06:57
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I was actually optimistic about Cynic coming up with some new stuff, but from what i've heard their new album is garbage, okay maybe a bit better, a clean garbage. I can't judge before hearing it but i'll start by downloading Traced In Air, see what there is to give.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
05.10.2008 - 08:12
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I just heard the new albumand it certainly lived up to my expectations...I'm glad that there are more real vocals this time...it really sounds like a more updated version of Cynic...the songs hold together so well...a great album all around...a very strong release...
07.10.2008 - 18:38
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i dont know what the big deal about Cynic is. yeah, its technical but i dont see what everyone is hyping them over.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.10.2008 - 18:43
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by LeChron James on 07.10.2008 at 18:38

i dont know what the big deal about Cynic is. yeah, its technical but i dont see what everyone is hyping them over.

The hype is because they put out a truly unique album (one that actually took risks) in 1993, that has since garnered a cult following. After a 15 year hiatus they have finally released the follow-up... yet again taking risks with their style and dividing the metal community's opinions...

Part of their popularity is also derivative of them being similar to Opeth: heavy and technical enough to please the tech/prog death fan but also melodic enough (if you can stand the vocoder, in the case of Cynic) for the melo fan...
07.10.2008 - 23:11
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 07.10.2008 at 18:43

The hype is because they put out a truly unique album (one that actually took risks) in 1993, that has since garnered a cult following. After a 15 year hiatus they have finally released the follow-up... yet again taking risks with their style and dividing the metal community's opinions...

Actually Focus didn't divide the metal community's opinions that much at all bac in 1993. They were loved for what they did by everyone across the board. But at least back then they took risks by presenting something entirely new and that they didn't do this time around, we heard it all before though somewhat different. But it isn't as unique and groundbreaking as it was back in 1993. Plus the sole use of vocoders ANNOYS the living hell out of quite a lot of people nowadays. "Yes, we DO KNOW that trick by now."
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2008 - 23:25
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2008 at 23:11

Actually Focus didn't divide the metal community's opinions that much at all bac in 1993. They were loved for what they did by everyone across the board. But at least back then they took risks by presenting something entirely new and that they didn't do this time around, we heard it all before though somewhat different. But it isn't as unique and groundbreaking as it was back in 1993. Plus the sole use of vocoders ANNOYS the living hell out of quite a lot of people nowadays. "Yes, we DO KNOW that trick by now."

I was only 7 when "Focus" came out so I can't say what it was like then... I meant with their new one: It seems like half the people love it, the other half hate it.
07.10.2008 - 23:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Introspekrieg on 07.10.2008 at 23:25

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.10.2008 at 23:11

I was only 7 when "Focus" came out so I can't say what it was like then... I meant with their new one: It seems like half the people love it, the other half hate it.

I don't think it's really hate, it more of a disapointment it seems for people like me cause we were expecting soooo much of it amd then it let us down. Hate is too strong a word. I don't hate it at all I just feel totally indifferent about it. But then again it is maybe better for a release to be hated than someone feeling indifferent about it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.10.2008 - 05:32
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 30.09.2008 at 22:04

Traced In Air is currently the single biggest disappointment of the year for me. It is too relaxed, nto even the slightest sense of danger to it. It is just bland and the vodoers kills it off totally for me. I liked the vocoder on Focus but here it is overdone. Traced IN Air is more suitable as music to meditate to, it is totally zen. Like Velvet said there is no pace, no excitement.
I'll just stick to Focus and the new Gojira which at times sound way more Cynic than the new Cynic does.

I listened to most of the songs off Traced and i agree with what was said right here over my post. No danger, no drive, the songwriting seems to lead nowhere. Of course the musical content is rich because it's Cynic and we all know they're good musicians but i can't find anything memorable out of what i heard. We have an album title here that suits the music perfectly lol. Also, the vocals are bad and corny, i really don't like that gimmick they use.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.10.2008 - 03:33
Sellathurai
The new album feels like it's breathing, the lack of structure is a relief to my ears
----
On The Wings of Euphoria...
07.11.2008 - 00:56
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Well Traced In Air was exactly as I expected it to be, meaning like Evolutionary Sleeper.

This was at first quite a disappointment. 'Where's Focus?' is what I thought at the time.

But now, Imore I listen to it, the more I like it. No Thrash, no death, not really aggressive, that's true. Music to meditate with? Yes, quite so. It's no Focus, for sure, but i like it.
In fact, i find it ... refreshing.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.11.2008 - 19:12
ylside
Staff
Written by Darkside Momo on 07.11.2008 at 00:56

Well Traced In Air was exactly as I expected it to be, meaning like Evolutionary Sleeper.

This was at first quite a disappointment. 'Where's Focus?' is what I thought at the time.

But now, Imore I listen to it, the more I like it. No Thrash, no death, not really aggressive, that's true. Music to meditate with? Yes, quite so. It's no Focus, for sure, but i like it.
In fact, i find it ... refreshing.

Exactly as expected aswell. Sometimes I say I would have liked it to be a bit more aggressive but then no... it's just as a 2008 Cynic album would be in my imagination... so it's great.