Metal Storm logo
Cynic

Original post

Posted by __Az__, 18.05.2006 - 13:47
Their only album 'Focus' blew me away... They are such an original band and are so technical... IMO, the album is a masterpiece and its such a shame that they didnt release another...

Im surprised a topic hasnt been created about them yet, So... what does everyone else think?
07.11.2008 - 23:33
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
I just can't get into this band. Those vocals annoy me and because of that i can't hear an entire song without get bored. Instrumentally they're quite good though.
07.11.2008 - 23:39
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I think I have just the same problem with them.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.11.2008 - 19:09
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
Written by ylside on 07.11.2008 at 19:12

Written by Darkside Momo on 07.11.2008 at 00:56

Well Traced In Air was exactly as I expected it to be, meaning like Evolutionary Sleeper.

This was at first quite a disappointment. 'Where's Focus?' is what I thought at the time.

But now, Imore I listen to it, the more I like it. No Thrash, no death, not really aggressive, that's true. Music to meditate with? Yes, quite so. It's no Focus, for sure, but i like it.
In fact, i find it ... refreshing.

Exactly as expected aswell. Sometimes I say I would have liked it to be a bit more aggressive but then no... it's just as a 2008 Cynic album would be in my imagination... so it's great.

Nearly the same for me (because I could have liked just a bit more aggression...)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
11.11.2008 - 01:06
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Unconsecrated on 07.11.2008 at 23:33

I just can't get into this band. Those vocals annoy me and because of that i can't hear an entire song without get bored. Instrumentally they're quite good though.

...ok u find vocals annoying, but plz explain why
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
11.11.2008 - 15:54
Unconsecrated
Perpetual Ascent
Written by nana.MD on 11.11.2008 at 01:06

What's to explain? I don't like "electronic" voices, that's all.
11.11.2008 - 22:56
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Unconsecrated on 11.11.2008 at 15:54

yeah, that's right. the clean vocals are just annoying; growls are pretty good.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
12.11.2008 - 00:04
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone ever seen or read an interview with Paul Masvidal? lol man that guy smokes a lot of weed
12.11.2008 - 00:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 12.11.2008 at 00:04

Has anyone ever seen or read an interview with Paul Masvidal? lol man that guy smokes a lot of weed

Remember I interviewed him in June 2007?
He came across all sober and non stoned btw, but he is so freakily esoteric and tantrac it is creepy at times. If there is one true Budhist in the metal world it certainly is Paul Masvidal.
Btw, he is a very pleasant and soft-spoken guy.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.11.2008 - 05:46
nana.MD
Star-Queen
Written by Unconsecrated on 11.11.2008 at 15:54

...of course there is more to explain, i bet that's not all u think about vocals...

...i find them quite flat and a little boring but musically speaking they are great and that's why i like them so much...when i listen to them i don't pay much attention to vocals...although traced in the air has no combination of computerized vocals & growls like in focus, there's still some growling behind computerized vocals...i agree it could be better...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
16.11.2008 - 08:10
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Well, after all these years of hating the vocals of Cynic and being irritated about all the cult status they gained.... I still hate the vocals. 15 years go by, and this new one is just an uninteresting version of the previous album to me. It was definitely unique the first time I heard their '93 album, but this time around, nothing is a surprise. I at least expected something interesting to come up on this new one... even at least weirder and more irritating vocals, but instead, I'd call the new one "safe" and nothing more.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
20.11.2008 - 11:27
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!

i find the vocals really nice and unique its too bad you dont like it but hey
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 14:02
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
By the way the new album is my favorite of this year they really surprised me

adam's murmur it's just magic
----
Stay Metal !!!
20.11.2008 - 19:23
Never loved them too much, but I must say the new album is worthy. I listened to it just a few times, and even if not my favourite genre and I'm not a fan of growl either, I think this time makes a good match with the electronic effects.
----
¸.?**?.¸*·I am following my fishie... because my fish knows where to go·*¸.?**?.¸
20.11.2008 - 21:16
Hellish Star
Hmm, seems I have to buy the new CYNIC...
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
20.11.2008 - 23:13
enemy_within
Account deleted
A nice surprise for myself. Cynic came along and gave my ears something new!!!
02.01.2009 - 12:54
Elio
Red Nightmare
Wow, I expected good things from these guys and I'm satisfied by Traced In Air. Some people here don't think it is so good. IMO if all bad albums sounded that way it would be great
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
05.02.2009 - 10:19
RockeRoy
I truly digg the electronic vocals in cynic, it's like their music becomes more visual, i see things when i listen to their music;)
I havn't decided yet what i realy think of Traced in air, the only think i know is that i think it is good, i just don't know how good yet!
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
27.03.2009 - 19:12
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
I'm listening to Cynic's Focus for maybe the second time (more attentively now). No doubts the musicianship is impressive and as a whole i think's it's really good, maybe a little hard to absorb everything in after a second listen, no shit it's called Focus. I see where some of Obscura's influences are coming from. Although i like Focus i think Traced in Air is not so good, can't stand the vocals on that one and the songwriting to me is simply not as interesting nor as catchy.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
28.03.2009 - 01:18
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by Visioneerie on 27.03.2009 at 19:12

I'm listening to Cynic's Focus for maybe the second time (more attentively now). No doubts the musicianship is impressive and as a whole i think's it's really good, maybe a little hard to absorb everything in after a second listen, no shit it's called Focus. I see where some of Obscura's influences are coming from. Although i like Focus i think Traced in Air is not so good, can't stand the vocals on that one and the songwriting to me is simply not as interesting nor as catchy.

Focus has a lot of great moments, Traced in Air has a few (I'm really trying to like it). When I listen to Obscura I can definitely hear the influence, it's just that sometimes they don't add too much to it. Gets a little too cookie-cutter, but at least it is consistent.
02.04.2009 - 00:36
T_s_T
I love these guys!!!One of the most influential bands in the mid 90s and one of my personal technical death favourites
02.04.2009 - 11:48
-Morbid-
At first I only enjoyed parts of the songs, mainly the guitar solos and a few other parts, but after a few listens and more attentive listens "Focus" really grew on me and became on of my favorite albums. "Traced In Air" has gone sorta the same way, I like it and it's still growing on me but I don't like it as much as "Focus" and honestly don't think I ever will, I prefer the style on "Focus" much more.
02.04.2009 - 18:28
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Introspekrieg on 28.03.2009 at 01:18

Written by Visioneerie on 27.03.2009 at 19:12

Focus has a lot of great moments, Traced in Air has a few (I'm really trying to like it). When I listen to Obscura I can definitely hear the influence, it's just that sometimes they don't add too much to it. Gets a little too cookie-cutter, but at least it is consistent.

I guess the best way to explain it is that Focus is a more daring and complete album, going from heavy sounds to soft sounds, which makes music more varied and complete you know. Traced in Air always seems to stay at ground zero and never gets very heavy, it wanders around and all i can do is yawn even though the musicianship is good i like some punch to my music.

Btw i don't find that Obscura has alot of cookie-cutter moments compared to other bands of the genre. Very balanced sound, like i said for Focus, goes from soft to heavy and all the mojo, that's what makes it so good.

edit - dude i love your favorite movies in your profile
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
02.04.2009 - 21:37
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I find that Traced In Air as a whole goes by too fast...I don't know quite how to explain it but I suppose it lacks enough memorable licks to really grab your attention therefore it just travels through out ear and out the other a little too quickly...they probably should've kept the same type of vocoder (if that's the name for it) from the debut album because yeah, that does get irritating...maybe they should've just sung clean vocals the whole way through with death metal growls...
06.04.2009 - 08:37
-Morbid-
Written by Guest on 02.04.2009 at 21:37

I find that Traced In Air as a whole goes by too fast...

I thought it felt like it goes by a bit fast as well, but I think for me it's because first and last tracks on the album. I find "Nunc Fluens" to be very intro-ish so I usually skip over it, and "Nunc Stans" felt like a drawn out outro track. It's not too long of an album anyways, and when I chop off 2 tracks it makes it feel even shorter.
04.05.2009 - 19:19
symbolic727
Cynic Focus is a masterpeice hands down ever since i heard this record 2 years ago i have been hooked. And yet agin i was blown away by the new record i still perfer focus but damn what a great record. Then to top that off amazing live band long live Cynic.
09.05.2009 - 18:46
deadbydawn29
Account deleted
I think that most people are dead on when they say that Traced in Air is exactly what one would expect it to be; considering the musical work and life choices that the members have been making for the past 15 years, and not to mention just the fact that they're 15 years older now. I find it somewhat strange that people find themselves disappointed by it - it's exactly the album I expected it to be. Cynic never were much of a metal band, so for people to complain about their death metal influences being minimal on this album is somewhat odd. It doesn't really live up to Focus, but it's still a great album - and it is thoroughly a Cynic album.
11.05.2009 - 19:29
ylside
Staff
Written by Guest on 09.05.2009 at 18:46

I think that most people are dead on when they say that Traced in Air is exactly what one would expect it to be; considering the musical work and life choices that the members have been making for the past 15 years, and not to mention just the fact that they're 15 years older now. I find it somewhat strange that people find themselves disappointed by it - it's exactly the album I expected it to be. Cynic never were much of a metal band, so for people to complain about their death metal influences being minimal on this album is somewhat odd. It doesn't really live up to Focus, but it's still a great album - and it is thoroughly a Cynic album.

My opinion exactly mate.
16.06.2009 - 10:01
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
Their 1991 demo is just awesome, here is the review:

Quote:

There is no denying the magnitude of Cynic as a historical phenomenon, as last year's release of their comeback album has reminded us. 1993's 'Focus', of which 'Traced In Air' is an approximate, contemporary rehash, was viewed by many as a revolutionary and progressive work that took Metal beyond it's confines into a more liberal musical world. Others were suspicious of this sound. For them it was an attack on the vital, hard-hitting spirit of underground Metal - an outward promise of endless bliss if one renounces the sword and chants peaceful mantras; inwardly possessing characteristics of the herd. For the cynical, then, the 1991 demo recording may be a more palatable listen. It is what 'Focus' and Death's 'Human' should have been conclusions to. Two songs from the full-length to follow and one exclusive to the demo (although parts were included in the album) are, rather than stripped down versions in the stages of infancy, more mature compositions than what would later be heard. The sound is technical and precise but the demo-quality rawness and vibrancy of musicianship illuminates the composition as it unfolds. There is a constant, cosmic sense of drama in the music, describing the world of flux in relation to unconditioned reality. Abrupt riff and tempo changes have a more satisfying and lasting effect, being underlined by subtle rhythmic patterns. This creates a layered dynamic culminating in moments of realisation which are characterised by lead guitar work that is, at better times, more adherent and logically conclusive than later works. The work of the guitars here is closer to Classical music, vaguely reminiscent of Robert Schumann and the up-tempo passages of his earlier symphonies in particular. There are no vocoded vocals on the demo; aggresive and restless open-throated growls typical of later Speed Metal bands make this recording truer to the original canon of Cynic's career. Tony Choy's masterful bass adds a skeletal and complex level of structural depth to the sound that Reinert's percussion drives into light-speed, rendering Zeno's paradox of motion. Cynic's 1991 demo is a technical Death Metal masterpiece - perhaps only surpassed by Atheist's unquestionably classic second album. It still challenges the conventions of Death Metal, but it bears the hallmarks that all great underground recordings possess, as an honest and brutally direct communication of the reality beyond our futile ways.

Death Metal
16.06.2009 - 17:33
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I think Traced In Air is a great listen. It does sound like a natural successor to Focus, but it came somewhat 12/13 years late, therefore the max rating it can get from me is 8 (still a really good score)...
----
loves 小巫
01.08.2009 - 21:44
bloodwrage
Pagan Angel
Written by Ag Fox on 16.06.2009 at 17:33

I think Traced In Air is a great listen. It does sound like a natural successor to Focus, but it came somewhat 12/13 years late, therefore the max rating it can get from me is 8 (still a really good score)...

I don't really care about how late it came, just take a look at my rating for Cybion, but I just don't think that it has the same tone as Focus, and it definitely has succumbed a little to time.