Release date: January 2012

01. Suicide Syndrome
02. One Last Night
03. Perfect
04. Suffer In Silence
05. My Precious
06. Livsgnist
07. New Life - New Beginning

Yeah, debut album calling again! No seriously, I do enjoy debut albums by new bands a lot, they often mark the beginning of a new world to me. And So Much For Nothing really set up a parallel world with Livsgnist. A world that is so surreal and far away, yet close to everyone and reflecting our mad reality. No rating for this one because no one could rate this album in a way so that others would agree. Livsgnist is way too personal and it demands neither likes nor dislikes. In fact, I could not even tell you if you should check this one out, it depends on the deepest feelings whether one likes this or not, the feelings we do not share with our closest friends.

So what is it that gives this album an untouchable atmosphere? It is actually quite easy: the music is sick. And by that I mean that sickness in music finally got back to a level we all missed since the very first days of bands like Burzum. I finally caught a little glimpse of what made people listening to the disgusting shrieks of Count Grishnakh AKA Varg Vikernes in first place. It is not about the music; it is because of this world we all have in our thoughts but no one sets it free. There are two groups of people: the ones that want to keep this world hidden and think no one will recognize, and the ones that are fascinated by what is beyond our pink coloured reality. So Much For Nothing hail from the second group.

Oh yes, there is also music in Livsgnist. I can spit some words around like black metal meets rock/pop and there are a lot of instruments and guests and clean and harsh and tortured vocals, cool leads with nice rhythms and so on... But this is not what this album is about and you can not imagine what the music feels like, therefore this part is useless. Maybe some lyrics can help it a tiny bit: "I will slit your throat / so you won't be able to swallow my cum [...] I will fuck you / even though you are dead." This is taken from the track "My Precious" and I just leave it for you without commenting on it. I could give you several other fitting quotes but this is not what a review is supposed to do. Actually, this review fails anyway, neither can I give you a rating nor an appropriate hint whether this album is good for you so someone please hang me for this shit.

The only thing I can say is that this album makes me happy in a way because I know that the sickness aspect in black metal is not forgotten yet. And for me, the song "Suffer In Silence" is the greatest thing that has happened yet in 2012. But for others it might be the most shitty thing, so whatever.

Written by Windrider | 11.03.2012

Comments

Comments: 26   Visited by: 123 users
11.03.2012 - 23:39
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Early Burzum? You better not be fucking with me.

I'll check it out.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2012 - 23:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2012 at 23:39
I'll check it out.

Nah, more like Shining with some Lifelover hints at some points.

Hopefully I won't sound like a dick but it seems to me like Windrider is a bit out of touch with current Black Metal... This ain't new and it ain't hard to describe. Shining, DSBM in general, Lifelover in one or two passages, some violin and acustic guitars... Those tags are more than enough. I'm not saying it's bad. I'm listening to it right now and I think it's pretty good! But I think this review makes it sound like it's way more original like it actually is.

Bottom Line: Shining with a violin and keys. Which is pretty good considering that current Shining sucks.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.03.2012 - 23:54
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.03.2012 at 23:48
Nah, more like Shining with some Lifelover hints at some points. Bottom Line: Shining with a violin and keys. Which is pretty good considering that current Shining sucks.

I... did not get that from this review. :/

I'll still check it out though.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.03.2012 - 23:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2012 at 23:54

Me neither and I'm halfway through the album. I checked it out weeks ago so I forgot it back then but while reading the review I was kind of like "...Did I download the right album?"
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.03.2012 - 00:21
Milena
gloom cookie
Quote:
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.03.2012 at 23:54

Bottom Line: Shining with a violin and keys. Which is pretty good considering that current Shining sucks.

"black metal meets rock/pop and there are a lot of instruments and guests and clean and harsh and tortured vocals, cool leads with nice rhythms and so on... "
----
7.0 means the album is good
12.03.2012 - 00:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 12.03.2012 at 00:21
"black metal meets rock/pop and there are a lot of instruments and guests and clean and harsh and tortured vocals, cool leads with nice rhythms and so on... "

=/= depressive black metal.

A Coldworld reference or something would have made more sense. I'm nitpicking or whatever, but it's weird thinking it's going to sound like one thing and then you're told it sounds completely different outside of the review.
----
12.03.2012 - 00:30
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.03.2012 at 00:23

=/= depressive black metal.

A Coldworld reference or something would have made more sense. I'm nitpicking or whatever, but it's weird thinking it's going to sound like one thing and then you're told it sounds completely different outside of the review.

It is kind of Lifelover though, about the whole "weird pop/whatever + BM" thing, if I didn't mistake it for something else you've sent me
Though, the only BM I DID hear is the depressive kind, again, from suggestions. Probably liked Coldworld the most, got that whole thing on replay several times.
----
12.03.2012 - 00:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Milena on 12.03.2012 at 00:30
It is kind of Lifelover though, about the whole "weird pop/whatever + BM" thing...

Pop + black metal = Lifelover for sure.

Like I said, maybe I'm nitpicking. I just got a completely different understanding from the review.
----
12.03.2012 - 00:38
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.03.2012 at 00:33

Like I said, maybe I'm nitpicking. I just got a completely different understanding from the review.

I know, I know, it's just that I have gotten the correct understanding, but maybe I am biased because I knew what was the whole thing about, this was originally sent to me as a part of a haulix so I thought it was interesting enough to review (seeing how a lot of you drool over Shining) and that I should pass it to a volunteer who has more understanding of BM in general to make it work
----
12.03.2012 - 00:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 12.03.2012 at 00:33

Pop + black metal = Lifelover for sure.

Written by Milena on 12.03.2012 at 00:30
It is kind of Lifelover though, about the whole "weird pop/whatever + BM" thing...

Lifelover only marginally to these ears anyway, I still hear way more Shining than Lifelover (specifically Halmstad).
Fuck... I'm even hearing similar samples that reminds me a hell of a lot to Halmstad.
There are definitely bursts of rock/pop like Lifelover. But riffs and vocals are very Shining-like Regardless of the fact that Kvarforth did some vocals in one song of this album.
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.03.2012 - 13:39
Merchant of Doom

It's Shining in disguise, isn't it?
12.03.2012 - 13:53
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Merchant of Doom on 12.03.2012 at 13:39

Well if you look at the guest list, quite possibly
----
12.03.2012 - 14:01
Merchant of Doom

Written by Milena on 12.03.2012 at 13:53

Written by Merchant of Doom on 12.03.2012 at 13:39

Well if you look at the guest list, quite possibly

there you go...
12.03.2012 - 14:12
Rating: 8
Windrider
Raureif
See guys, I told it's a bad review But a Coldworld reference like Troy says isn't what should be included here... It's way different. And I didn't say this one was original with any word lol.
I know this review is easy to misunderstand (Burzum etc..), because the main part isn't about the music but the atmosphere.
14.03.2012 - 02:02
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Windrider on 12.03.2012 at 14:12

See guys, I told it's a bad review But a Coldworld reference like Troy says isn't what should be included here... It's way different. And I didn't say this one was original with any word lol.
I know this review is easy to misunderstand (Burzum etc..), because the main part isn't about the music but the atmosphere.

It IS way different than Coldworld that goes without saying but it ain't similar to Burzum either. While I think your description of the atmosphere is good overall, the technical parts are sometimes pretty off and even if "the album isn't about the music but the atmosphere" there still needs to be some technical explanation somewhere, balance is the key. Every review is about the music because atmosphere is part of it... It isn't a different subject which you can only focus on. Maybe with the most minimalistic types of music but not with this kind of stuff. If you focus too much in explaining the atmosphere... Most people won't get you (like Troy) and will think that it sounds completely different than how it actually sounds because they just have nice words that they can interpret however they like because of the lack of some concrete description.

The problem for me was that you make it sound so different as if it was diffciult to describe... examples:
Quote:
you can not imagine what the music feels like

Yes, I do... Shining + some Lifelover
Quote:
This album makes me happy in a way because I know that the sickness aspect in black metal is not forgotten yet

Even if you didn't use the word "original" you ARE implying that this band is taking black metal to a path that hasn't been taken to in a while, which is wrong and you don't need to look back that much to see many bands did this before in almost the same way.

Like I said before, hopefully I'm not coming across as a dick here, but if you think that some album is difficult to describe, fat chances are that you are wrong because that's how music works nowdays: Most stuff HAS been done and CAN be explained easily. We got a team that is always happy to help you out if you feel like you aren't sure about an album.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 15:27
Windrider
Raureif
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 02:02

See full post above .......

I see, I have to make better next time or just keep it a standard describing review so no problems like in here will come up lol
Anyway I start to think that I listen to music in a different way than others do... Don't know many reviewers don't feel the music, even if it's good, just spin it through computer speakers and analyzing it like a nerd. That's not my way and I wouldn't write another review if I had to do so. Of course there are crappy albums that won't set any atmosphere but especially in albums like this I lay in my bed at midnight, keep eyes shut, near to sleep and the let the music control my mind. I don't music when I do other stuff, I have to concentrate and focus on music when I listen (even while driving), which is about four hours a day... For me, this is how to 'listen' to music properly and this might be why I have always quarrels with other reviewers that won't agree on my opinion.
Just some thoughts...
14.03.2012 - 17:53
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I don't think we have many "analizing nerds" I'm not asking you aything of the sort. Most of us (staff/elite) use a balanced approach because that is the best way tbh...
There are just a few cases where you can use one approach more than the other. This in my opinion isn't that much the case. If you wanted to go "all atmosphere" by all means do so.... the only thing I said is that if you want to tag along some bands that could be related, make sure to make it correct.

Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 15:27

For me, this is how to 'listen' to music properly and this might be why I have always quarrels with other reviewers that won't agree on my opinion.

No, the reason people won't agree with you is because your tags are wrong which is something most people will look first. Like I said before, you can go all "atmospheric approach" if you want, but if you are going to tag some stuff, you have to ake it correct otherwise you ARE misleading people. It doesn't have anything to do why "how you listen to music" which I don't think it's anything that different than how most of us do, no offense.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 17:57
Windrider
Raureif
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 17:53

I don't think we have many "analizing nerds" I'm not asking you aything of the sort. Most of us (staff/elite) use a balanced approach because that is the best way tbh...
There are just a few cases where you can use one approach more than the other. This in my opinion isn't that much the case. If you wanted to go "all atmosphere" by all means do so.... the only thing I said is that if you want to tag along some bands that could be related, make sure to make it correct.

For me, this is how to 'listen' to music properly and this might be why I have always quarrels with other reviewers that won't agree on my opinion.

No, the reason peopl won't agree with you is because your tags are wrong which is something most people will look first. Like I said before, you can go all "atmospheric approach" if you want, but if you are going to tag some stuff, you have to ake it correct otherwise you ARE misleading people.

This atmosphere shit is only for fitting albums, not death metal or something (most of it). I guess next time I'll just leave the tags in case I am not 100% sure what this sounds like, people can google it anyway.
14.03.2012 - 17:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 17:57
I guess next time I'll just leave the tags in case I am not 100% sure what this sounds like, people can google it anyway.

Now you got the point
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 18:01
Windrider
Raureif
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 17:59

I guess next time I'll just leave the tags in case I am not 100% sure what this sounds like, people can google it anyway.

Now you got the point

Thanks, master
14.03.2012 - 18:21
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 18:01

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 17:59

Now you got the point

Thanks, master

Have a cookie as price. Bitches love cookies...
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 18:28
Windrider
Raureif
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 18:21

Have a cookie as price. Bitches love cookies...

Am I supposed to say Fuck You here?
14.03.2012 - 18:39
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 18:28

No, you are supposed to eat the goddamn cookie.
----
Rod, let me love you.
14.03.2012 - 18:51
Windrider
Raureif
Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 18:39

Written by Windrider on 14.03.2012 at 18:28

No, you are supposed to eat the goddamn cookie.

Done. Fuck You.
15.03.2012 - 16:34
Ag Fox
Angel No More

Written by X-Ray Rod on 14.03.2012 at 02:02

See full post above .......

I see, I have to make better next time or just keep it a standard describing review so no problems like in here will come up lol
Anyway I start to think that I listen to music in a different way than others do... Don't know many reviewers don't feel the music, even if it's good, just spin it through computer speakers and analyzing it like a nerd. That's not my way and I wouldn't write another review if I had to do so. Of course there are crappy albums that won't set any atmosphere but especially in albums like this I lay in my bed at midnight, keep eyes shut, near to sleep and the let the music control my mind. I don't music when I do other stuff, I have to concentrate and focus on music when I listen (even while driving), which is about four hours a day... For me, this is how to 'listen' to music properly and this might be why I have always quarrels with other reviewers that won't agree on my opinion.
Just some thoughts...
One person's "proper" way to listen to music differs to another person. For the record, I tend to "feel" music in the sense let it wash over me or completely drown myself into it when the right type of album comes by, but in this case I do agree that I was expecting a bit more upon reading your review. But don't be too worked up about it, because no one knows everything! (=
----
loves 小巫
19.12.2015 - 02:33
Marcus
Doit Like Bernie
The vocals are really iffy on this, but gotdamn if I haven't been enjoying the album's final song - that sax is such a nice touch

Hits total: 3938 | This month: 5