Metal Storm logo
Anyone into "War" metal?

Original post

Posted by Branzig, 13.03.2012 - 17:53
Anyone familiar with what some reviewers are calling "War Metal?"

It's kind of a chaotic mix of thrash riffs and black metal tremolos/voxs. A lot of the vocals are layered and effected in the studio or the mics are put through a compressor or something, but for the most part I really like the energy and stylings. My favorite part is that everything is 100% balls out all the time.

A couple bands that I have listened too and that I really like so far are:

Blasphemophagher: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSXlEn4bPL0

Black Witchery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zmou5DILqQ

Teitanblood: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofsej3rEceQ

I realize that these won't be up everyone's alley...you have to really love dirty gutter music like I do to appreciate it, but if you like your music on the EXTREME side check it out!
18.03.2012 - 06:05
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 06:03

btw saw a douchebag with a gas mask and a back pack at Neurotic Deathfest a couple of weeks ago. He was French.

Did you actually ask him what nationality he was?!?! hahahaha

Because that would be funnier than hell, "Hey, douche in the gas mask over there, where you from? France? ...Fucker..."

hahahahahahaha
----
In Grind We Crust
18.03.2012 - 06:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 18.03.2012 at 06:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 06:03

btw saw a douchebag with a gas mask and a back pack at Neurotic Deathfest a couple of weeks ago. He was French.

Did you actually ask him what nationality he was?!?! hahahaha

Because that would be funnier than hell, "Hey, douche in the gas mask over there, where you from? France? ...Fucker..."

hahahahahahaha

no, I did not but heard him talk at the bar with some other douche friends of his (btw I call them douches because they were all dressed up as if it was carnival) and it was clear they were all French, merde.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 06:10
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 06:08

(btw I call them douches because they were all dressed up as if it was carnival) and it was clear they were all French, merde.

Like Jesters? With Gas Masks On?

Well dressed like that, they were obviously French... haha
----
In Grind We Crust
18.03.2012 - 06:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Branzig on 18.03.2012 at 06:10

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 06:08

(btw I call them douches because they were all dressed up as if it was carnival) and it was clear they were all French, merde.

Like Jesters? With Gas Masks On?

Well dressed like that, they were obviously French... haha

one had a yellow one piece jumpsuit on making him look like a banana, another had Hello Kitty attire one, another a kilt, another was dressed up like a viking with a gay ass drinking horn
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.03.2012 - 12:28
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.03.2012 at 06:12

one had a yellow one piece jumpsuit on making him look like a banana, another had Hello Kitty attire one, another a kilt, another was dressed up like a viking with a gay ass drinking horn

That's terrible. I am glad to know that your definition of "douchebag" is spot on sir!

I give you props for not just walking up and punching them in the ballz lol.
----
In Grind We Crust
25.04.2012 - 18:23
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I'm much into the some old Canadian bands, especially Blasphemy and Conqueror but much of what is played in this "genre" sounds pretty redundant (not that any other metal genre is continously bursting with freshness and originality, but you get the point...) Besides, it's hard for me to really get into a genre that has close to zero representation in my own country, because lately one of my favourite ways to enjoy music is through concerts... the only worthy exception are Occidens, a band that cultivate a war metal imagery but musically they're total D666 worshippers... great band, anyway...
25.04.2012 - 19:20
Branzig
Written by Guest on 25.04.2012 at 18:23

I'm much into the some old Canadian bands, especially Blasphemy and Conqueror but much of what is played in this "genre" sounds pretty redundant (not that any other metal genre is continously bursting with freshness and originality, but you get the point...) Besides, it's hard for me to really get into a genre that has close to zero representation in my own country, because lately one of my favourite ways to enjoy music is through concerts... the only worthy exception are Occidens, a band that cultivate a war metal imagery but musically they're total D666 worshippers... great band, anyway...

Many people feel that the genre began with Conqueror, and I am fan of their brutal style for sure!

I checked out Occidens, and I would say they qualify. They sound pretty interesting from what I heard.

There isn't a really huge "war" scene over here either, it seems to be a European thing right now. But there are a couple bands that are pumping out the war tunes over here
----
In Grind We Crust
26.04.2012 - 00:41
Savopipo
I have had zero to no experience with "War metal" at all. When I first saw the thread in the forum I thought about bands like "Korpiklaani", "Turisas" and "Ensiferum" but they are more folk-metal I guess. So where should I start if I want to hear good "War metal"? Maybe some of the bands mentioned above "Conqueror" for instance?
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
26.04.2012 - 00:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Savopipo on 26.04.2012 at 00:41
So where should I start if I want to hear good "War metal"?

Check out Bestial Warlust - the band that essentially inspired the term "bestial black metal", which is basically just another term for war metal.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
26.04.2012 - 02:14
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Savopipo on 26.04.2012 at 00:41

I have had zero to no experience with "War metal" at all. When I first saw the thread in the forum I thought about bands like "Korpiklaani", "Turisas" and "Ensiferum" but they are more folk-metal I guess. So where should I start if I want to hear good "War metal"? Maybe some of the bands mentioned above "Conqueror" for instance?

war metal is not exactly a genre because, as Marcel said some posts above, it's not musically differenciable from extreme forms of black/death, which can be called "war metal" when the music is accompanied by imagery and lyrics regarding to war... and yeah, Conqueror are like the stereotypical "war metal" band, so checking them should definately show you if you can enjoy this kind of music, and well, if you actually expect something like Turisas or Ensiferum let me tell you that you'll be very dissapointed...
26.04.2012 - 04:50
Branzig
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 02:14

if you actually expect something like Turisas or Ensiferum let me tell you that you'll be very dissapointed...

Very Very VERY disappointed...haha

I used to be a skeptic as to whether "war metal" is an actual microgenre or just a branch off of "bestial black metal," and I have decided that it is 100% it's own genre. Much like how "viking metal" was once just black metal, I feel that war metal is, or is on the verge of, becoming its own respected genre.

I've made this decision based off of:

1. Gas Masks and Bullet Belts.
2. Lyrical content.
3. Kick ass, manic, frenzied riffs.
4. Crusty, hissy, lo-fi bliss.
5. Theology.
----
In Grind We Crust
26.04.2012 - 11:36
Savopipo
Written by Branzig on 26.04.2012 at 04:50

if you actually expect something like Turisas or Ensiferum let me tell you that you'll be very dissapointed...

Not that I like Turisas or Ensiferum, that's just what popped up in my head when I heard/read the term "War-metal". I'll check some of it out and get back.
----
26.04.2012 - 18:37
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 26.04.2012 at 04:50

I used to be a skeptic as to whether "war metal" is an actual microgenre or just a branch off of "bestial black metal," and I have decided that it is 100% it's own genre. Much like how "viking metal" was once just black metal, I feel that war metal is, or is on the verge of, becoming its own respected genre.

I've made this decision based off of:

1. Gas Masks and Bullet Belts.
2. Lyrical content.
3. Kick ass, manic, frenzied riffs.
4. Crusty, hissy, lo-fi bliss.
5. Theology.

I don't like to call musical genres out of mainly non-musical elements... limiting your description to the list above, it wouldn't be rare if you're therefore forced to call a hardcore or crust punk band "war metal."
27.04.2012 - 15:31
Branzig
Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 18:37

call a hardcore or crust punk band "war metal."

No

Especially since every Crust band EVER is far left wing and anti-war.

And that was just an overlaying outline of what war metal is about. I could go deep into the musical tendencies, but its for the most part over the general metal listener's head. The purpose of what I listed was an extremely rough generalization.

Plus there happens to be some sarcasm in there as well....in case you didn't pick it up haha.
----
In Grind We Crust
27.04.2012 - 19:53
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Branzig on 27.04.2012 at 15:31

Written by Guest on 26.04.2012 at 18:37

call a hardcore or crust punk band "war metal."

Plus there happens to be some sarcasm in there as well....in case you didn't pick it up haha.

didn't pick it up, indeed... my sarcasm detector turns off frequently, lately...
28.04.2012 - 02:41
Savopipo
I listened to a few samples (will listen to full albums later) but sofar I feel it's more like a mixture of death and black with some noise thrown in for good measure? I might be totally off here but as a first listen that's what I hear.

Edit: I of course wear a gas mask and a bulletbelt when I write this, apart from that I'm totally naked!
----
28.04.2012 - 15:28
Branzig
Written by Savopipo on 28.04.2012 at 02:41

I feel it's more like a mixture of death and black with some noise thrown in for good measure?

That's a pretty close assessment.

A lot of people feel that it relates to death riffs, but I feel way more thrash elements in a lot of the passages... And of course that awesome lo-fi production that I find so tasty!

I always wear 2 gas masks at once, more kvlt.
----
In Grind We Crust
29.04.2012 - 00:34
Savopipo
Written by Branzig on 28.04.2012 at 15:28

Written by Savopipo on 28.04.2012 at 02:41

I feel it's more like a mixture of death and black with some noise thrown in for good measure?

That's a pretty close assessment.

A lot of people feel that it relates to death riffs, but I feel way more thrash elements in a lot of the passages... And of course that awesome lo-fi production that I find so tasty!

I always wear 2 gas masks at once, more kvlt.

Gas masks are good but you also need to be naked (apart from the gas masks of course)! I havent really listened in on it yet but after the initial listen I feel that dissonant black metal like Blut aus Nord and S.V.E.S.T is more my thing. But that is only an inital thing I might change my opinion when I've heard some full records. It's good shit though.
----
29.04.2012 - 09:57
DJ Mythos
I've never really heard Massacra credited with influencing the war metal movement, but I'm pressed to think of an earlier band that used that whole 'bestial' sound.

Antediluvian. Countrymen to pioneers of the style, Conqueror and Revenge. Axis of Advance, too.

Blasphemophagher kills.

My favorite is the minimalistic stuff, like Diocletian. I like it when the brutality is stripped bare. Doom Cult is more in the bestial style than their follow-up, but I think both are great.

Order From Chaos is essential. 'War metal' is really just chaotic black/death metal.
----
Vapour Bay Radio

Miasmic anti-modern metal.
29.04.2012 - 15:29
Branzig
Written by DJ Mythos on 29.04.2012 at 09:57

Blasphemophagher kills.

Yes they do!

Blasphmophagher is the band that got me into the genre. They just rip shit up.
----
In Grind We Crust
04.05.2012 - 00:56
Savopipo
I've listened to some of the bands mentioned above (totally new to me sorry for being so lame) and last nite I got myself a good dose of Conqueror and man that shit really blows you away! I might be way off here (because it's been some time) but it reminded me of Von (which I never got into but also carried a lot of hateful aggresiveness as I recall it). And this shit happened in the mid ninties?????? How cool is that!
----
04.05.2012 - 17:39
Branzig
Written by Savopipo on 04.05.2012 at 00:56

I've listened to some of the bands mentioned above (totally new to me sorry for being so lame) and last nite I got myself a good dose of Conqueror and man that shit really blows you away! I might be way off here (because it's been some time) but it reminded me of Von (which I never got into but also carried a lot of hateful aggresiveness as I recall it). And this shit happened in the mid ninties?????? How cool is that!

Yeah Conqueror is definitely one fucking brutal band. They really are considered as the "originals" as far as war metal is concerned. They're image, play style, and attitude was just 100% go all the time, and I feel that that is one of the biggest attractions to the genre. I don't like slow parts, symphonic parts, ambient parts, etc. Sometimes, I just want 100% pissed off aggression with no breaks in between. When I am in that mood, war metal just delivers so well!
----
In Grind We Crust
04.05.2012 - 21:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Has Antediluvian been mentioned yet?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2012 - 03:57
Branzig
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.05.2012 at 21:24

Has Antediluvian been mentioned yet?

Nope.

And fuck, they are good! A little more polished and produced than I typically care for, but it's still really good music!

----
In Grind We Crust
08.05.2012 - 10:51
Savopipo
Written by Branzig on 04.05.2012 at 17:39

Written by Savopipo on 04.05.2012 at 00:56

Yeah Conqueror is definitely one fucking brutal band. They really are considered as the "originals" as far as war metal is concerned. They're image, play style, and attitude was just 100% go all the time, and I feel that that is one of the biggest attractions to the genre. I don't like slow parts, symphonic parts, ambient parts, etc. Sometimes, I just want 100% pissed off aggression with no breaks in between. When I am in that mood, war metal just delivers so well!

Hell yeah! I second that absolutely. I'm Savopipos frustrated, hateful, and black soul!

----