Metal Storm logo
Bands you used to dislike, but now like?

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 18.05.2012 - 12:43
Strange how tastes can change over time. I used to dislike Meshuggah, Behemoth, Testament, Sodom and Kreator. And now some of these are my favourite bands! Do any of you have similar experiences of going from thinking a band is terrible, to loving them?

If so: What band(s)? And what do you think it was that changed your mind about them?
21.05.2012 - 07:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by LordFezzington on 20.05.2012 at 21:24

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 20.05.2012 at 21:09

They are shit. Total bagload of shit.

A band that wasn't supposed to be formed with a sheer mediocre albums they dropped in. Atleast for me I guess that makes the "BLS" a fucking never existed band.

Then perhaps you would like to explain why they're in your favourites list?

Oh it is??....yeah it's in the list.

Well, As snake said...I use to add the band the moment I listen to it but you know what??....."They are shit. i got their lot of stuff with me and it's all BS tbh".

Now do i have to remove from my list??

Yes I have to. btw it gonna be remain in my collection.
21.05.2012 - 07:30
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Guest on 20.05.2012 at 22:12

I like how Cynic stopped answering, when confronted with having BLS in his favourite bands-list.

i didn't stop answering, it's just that I was sleeping and now I got up, I saw the message.
21.05.2012 - 12:10
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 20.05.2012 at 21:03

Written by Infernal Eternal on 20.05.2012 at 20:26

Black Label Society

They were never a band. Never such thing existed.

But the songs exist.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
21.05.2012 - 15:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Infernal Eternal on 21.05.2012 at 12:10
But the songs exist.

Pay no mind to the village idiot... he does his job well.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
25.05.2012 - 04:15
Olli
Hahahaha at the BLS stuff ( I''m a big fan of them)... anyway on topic I never used to like Devin Townsend, Carcass, Intronaught or Megadeth and now I like all of them.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
25.05.2012 - 04:31
Oracles
Cradle of Fifth by far. Amazing vocals, melodic guitar riffs, and songs about getting naked in a graveyard.........Nah they're terribad and always will be.

Probably Gojira has the biggest impact for me. I thought they''re going to be just another average Progressive Death Metal band, which IMO is a pretty overrated genre. In the end my friend "forced" me to listen to "From Mars to Sirius" and I fell in love.

If I remember Zao is probably another band, but now they're clearly my favourite.
28.05.2012 - 14:51
Zealot644
The hardest one that comes to my mind is The Black Dahlia Murder. I heard some of their early works when I was first getting into metal so it was quite the shock (especially vocals and lyrical content) and I never gave them a second chance until a few years ago with Deflorate and now Ritual.

Since then, however, I find they are easily one of the best melodic death metal bands out there today. Emphasis on the death metal.
29.05.2012 - 11:56
Oaken
Hipster
I used to think that Ahab is somehow boring, but I kind of enjoy them in certain moods right now. Divinity Of The Oceans sounds really great at times, but I still feel it's so slow at other times. Maybe more listening will change this into the better.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
29.05.2012 - 12:00
Zombie94
Written by Oaken on 29.05.2012 at 11:56

I used to think that Ahab is somehow boring, but I kind of enjoy them in certain moods right now. Divinity Of The Oceans sounds really great at times, but I still feel it's so slow at other times. Maybe more listening will change this into the better.

I still find 'em boring after having listened to 'Call Of The Wretched Sea' roughly three times. Still the only funeral doom band I've listened to, so maybe I will grow to appreciate them after having delved a bit deeper into the doom genre itself (which I'm currently doing).
29.05.2012 - 12:02
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Zombie94 on 29.05.2012 at 12:00

Still the only funeral doom band I've listened to

Besides Ahab, I've listened to several Esoteric songs and they slay.
----
29.05.2012 - 22:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Ahab...so slow...

Get used to it, especially when you venture into funeral doom.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.05.2012 - 22:08
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Drone/ambient for sure.

I used to think, wow, one riff played once a minute with some noise in the background? lol dafuq's this shit.

But now I seem to just fall into a void when listening, I absorb every little sound in it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.05.2012 - 22:22
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.05.2012 at 22:05

Ahab...so slow...

Get used to it, especially when you venture into funeral doom.

I'm trying to, and it's KIND of working.
----
04.06.2012 - 14:48
Darkfiber
Kvelertak is about the only one I can think of. Usually if I don't like a band on the first listen, I wont bother with it. When I first heard Kvelertak's album, I really didn't like it. I thought it sounded very clean, dumbed down and radio friendly, and thought they were trying to mix way too many elements that just made it turn into a big confusing mess. For some reason, I do not know why, I kept listening to it (usually in the background while doing something else and not really paying attention) and I found myself really starting to enjoy certain parts of certain songs, though I didn't know which ones I was listening to as the album kind of just ran together for me. I suppose it's okay to like light-hearted, "rocky" sounding metal sometimes.
04.06.2012 - 15:11
FinnishSammich
I used to not think much about KMFDM, but now I like them a lot.
12.06.2012 - 17:47
Dugi
I remember myself disliking Lamb Of God, but now they're one of my favorite bands.
11.08.2012 - 20:06
DIRTYDANIII
I remember hating megadeth because I was looking through my friend's guitar magazine, and on every poll they won (the year endgame came out) and I kept thinking like what is so good about this shitty band then I eventually looked them up, and now I love them this also happened to me with Mastodon cause I heard colony of birchmen and was like what the fuck is this shit. Then I listened to Leviathan, and my opinion of them changed
11.08.2012 - 20:31
Mattybu

Since I bought their debut I've liked ahab. Although I do agree it's a lot easier to listen to in certain settings, not really moods. I find it's not a "song or two on the bus" kind of album, it's much better if you can chill out and enjoy the whole thing.

Believe it or not I used to dislike cannibal corpse. This was very long ago, when I really wasn't into death metal at all. The vocals bugged me. For a long time I didn't like them (although credit goes to hammer smashed face for being one of the core songs that got me into death metal) but recently I have really been liking everything about them. They're still putting out really good stuff and, George Fisher. No more needs to be said.
11.08.2012 - 20:47
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mattybu on 11.08.2012 at 20:31

Believe it or not I used to dislike cannibal corpse.

Why wouldn't we believe you?

I am a big death metal fan, but I disliked them when they started and still dislike them.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.08.2012 - 20:48
Oaken
Hipster

Since I bought their debut I've liked ahab. Although I do agree it's a lot easier to listen to in certain settings, not really moods. I find it's not a "song or two on the bus" kind of album, it's much better if you can chill out and enjoy the whole thing.

Believe it or not I used to dislike cannibal corpse. This was very long ago, when I really wasn't into death metal at all. The vocals bugged me. For a long time I didn't like them (although credit goes to hammer smashed face for being one of the core songs that got me into death metal) but recently I have really been liking everything about them. They're still putting out really good stuff and, George Fisher. No more needs to be said.

Gotta agree about Ahab, especially about the bus thing.
About Cannibal Corpse, I've only heard their Tomb Of The Mutilated and disliked it. Not sure if I would check out their other works.
----
11.08.2012 - 21:10
BanksD
Account deleted
I used to really really hate Metallica, but now I've kidna softened up on them, but I only like the first two albums and a couple songs on MoP and AJFA. I also used to hate Cannibal Corpse, but now I enjoy a few albums (Tomb of The Mutilated, Kill, about 1/3 of Torture)

There was also a long time where I hated anything black metal, and even though I still don't care for much in the way of traditional black metal, I enjoy bands that are fusions of black and other styles, blackened thrash, progressive black, blackened death, folk black, etc.
11.08.2012 - 23:57
Mattybu
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.08.2012 at 20:47

Believe it or not I used to dislike cannibal corpse.

Why wouldn't we believe you?

I am a big death metal fan, but I disliked them when they started and still dislike them.

Well the only reason it might be a bit hard to believe is because they are now on my favourite bands list, Torture is my favourite album of 2012 (so far) and I basically worship George Fisher.

Once you realize that their goal is to basically make a musical version of a horror movie it really starts getting fun listening to them. And they seem like really cool guys too, from the interviews and the short documentary I watched about the making of Evisceration Plague from the 2-disc version. Was 100% funny when GCF was doing the power metal screams during Scalding Hail, he is just a legend.
11.08.2012 - 23:58
Mattybu
Written by Oaken on 11.08.2012 at 20:48

About Cannibal Corpse, I've only heard their Tomb Of The Mutilated and disliked it. Not sure if I would check out their other works.

Honestly I like Tomb of the Mutilated, but as far as Cannibal Corpse goes I think George Fisher blows Chris Barnes out of the water vocals wise. The man's voice is just sheer power. Basically their sound seemed to thicken a little as they moved away from the early era, I think Bloodthirst is a great record with GCF on vocal duties.
12.08.2012 - 00:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Mattybu on 11.08.2012 at 23:57

Well the only reason it might be a bit hard to believe is because they are now on my favourite bands list, Torture is my favourite album of 2012 (so far) and I basically worship George Fisher.

I hadn't checked your favourite band list

And tbh I find Fscher's vocals to be the most generic coookie cutter (yeah that bad in that sense hahaha) death metal vocals around.

Quote:

Once you realize that their goal is to basically make a musical version of a horror movie it really starts getting fun listening to them.

I have always regarded them in that way and then they fail even more imo because in order for it to be a good musical version of a horror movie it needs atmosphere and creepiness. A thing a band such as Necrophagia does manage to evoke.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.08.2012 - 01:15
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.08.2012 at 00:07

I have always regarded them in that way and then they fail even more imo because in order for it to be a good musical version of a horror movie it needs atmosphere and creepiness. A thing a band such as Necrophagia does manage to evoke.

Autopsy's Mental Funeral too. The doomy soundscapes create a repulsive feeling to the whole record, especially the shit samples in "Robbing The Grave".
Written by Mattybu on 11.08.2012 at 23:58

Honestly I like Tomb of the Mutilated, but as far as Cannibal Corpse goes I think George Fisher blows Chris Barnes out of the water vocals wise. The man's voice is just sheer power. Basically their sound seemed to thicken a little as they moved away from the early era, I think Bloodthirst is a great record with GCF on vocal duties.

I like Fisher's vocals with Monstrosity.
----
12.08.2012 - 02:54
Mattybu
He PUT IN WORK with Monstrosity he did an awesome job there too.

@Marcel the only thing I can further really say is "to each his own", I guess Cannibal Corpse isn't for everyone

The cookie cutter vocals comment, I see where you're coming from and his vocals certainly aren't outside the conventional DM spectrum but it's just power and force behind them. Just intense.
13.08.2012 - 22:22
gav1230
Pretty much anything with harsh vocals. I used to strictly listen to classic metal but I've expanded my tastes over time.
14.08.2012 - 06:52
Guib
Thrash Talker
Well I remember myself back in the days I couldn't stand anything that was Screaming, Growling... and now look at me, I crave for it lollll
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
14.08.2012 - 14:07
BanksD
Account deleted
I would imagine quite a large amount of people who listen to metal with those type of vocals would agree lol
14.08.2012 - 14:16
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
I actually liked harsh vocals straight up.

Can't think of any band that fits this description.
Oh, right, when I was 9, I disliked Pink Floyd
----
7.0 means the album is good