Metal Storm logo
Bands you used to dislike, but now like?

Original post

Posted by Zombie94, 18.05.2012 - 12:43
Strange how tastes can change over time. I used to dislike Meshuggah, Behemoth, Testament, Sodom and Kreator. And now some of these are my favourite bands! Do any of you have similar experiences of going from thinking a band is terrible, to loving them?

If so: What band(s)? And what do you think it was that changed your mind about them?
14.08.2012 - 15:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Milena on 14.08.2012 at 14:16
Oh, right, when I was 9, I disliked Pink Floyd

That's okay, I think everyone is at least mildly retarded as a nine-year-old.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.08.2012 - 16:18
Milena
gloom cookie
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.08.2012 at 15:05

That's okay, I think everyone is at least mildly retarded as a nine-year-old.

I really dug Queen though, so that saves my ass. I did display proggy tendencies, from childhood up to the point where I actually realized I appreciate prog stuff, too bad PF was left out of it
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.09.2012 - 17:30
Patrick.
There are a bunch of them. Symphony X, Rhapsody, Dream Theater, Ayreon, actually most Progressive metal I've heard never tickled my fancy if you go back some years.
One band I always thought was decent but nothing spectacular was Judas Priest, no kidding! When I heard the "Nostradamus" album, that all changed. Even though most or many fans felt this was too far removed from the traditional sound it just completely drew me in and immediately I became a Priest fan because of this. Same thing with Symphony X and the "Iconoclast" album, but those guys I didn't even like before I heard that album.
08.09.2012 - 13:20
Angry Chair
Opeth, I used to dislike these, they are now one of my favorite bands.
----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
08.09.2012 - 15:52
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Voivod. I used to dislike them because when I was getting into metal it was the early 2000s and the music played by Voivod on Headbangers Ball and local metal radio was the band's newer stuff, which I found really boring. Fast forward about 10 years and I take the time to discover their good thrash metal from the '80s.
09.09.2012 - 00:53
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I used to hate Black Veil Brides, and now I.... yeah I still fucking hate them.

Anyway, I used to hate anything with long stretches of harsh vocals, which includes death metal and black metal. Then I got into Opeth. Opeth opened the doors for all the death metal, black metal, and other extreme forms of metal that I was missing out on.

I was raised religious, so when I was younger (and still in the bowels of the evil church institutions) I used to hate anything with lyrics that were even remotely satanic. Now, I really don't care, as I don't believe in Satan. Even if he was real, he might be pretty cool. I go for the philosophy of the Church of Satan: he's not real, he's just a symbol for human nature and freedom from delusion. So I became fine with satanic lyrics, as long as people aren't retarded with them. Lyrics still have to be deep and meaningful, you know. That's always important.

I digress... back to the topic. So, there were all kinds of bands like Behemoth, Lamb of God, Death, and countless others that I couldn't stand. Some people I knew listened to some really bad screamo music, too, so that kinda put me off from harsh vocals, since I ended up thinking they were all the same. Jesus H. Christ, I didn't know how fucking wrong I was. Grouping screamo with other harsh vocals was hella stupid, and I now know the difference:
----
09.09.2012 - 01:19
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.05.2012 at 07:16

Written by LordFezzington on 20.05.2012 at 21:24

Then perhaps you would like to explain why they're in your favourites list?

Oh it is??....yeah it's in the list.

Well, As snake said...I use to add the band the moment I listen to it

I'm pretty sure the list is called "favorite bands," not "bands I've barely heard of, and maybe listened to once or twice." Just saying.
----
09.09.2012 - 03:12
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 00:53

Screamo = gay emo's hitting puberty,
Death growls = strength of the dark gods roaring up from the bowels of hell itself.

It's idiotic opinions like that that're gonna get you eaten alive here.
09.09.2012 - 04:36
AcidMage
Probably most stuff with harsher vocals - now Mayhem, Darkthrone, Obituary and Midnight are some of my favourite bands. Also probably a lot of the poppier acts grew on me, too - some of the power metal groups that use a lot of more melodic/poppy passages really grated on me early on, but I can appreciate them a bit more now.
09.09.2012 - 10:08
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 09.09.2012 at 03:12

Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 00:53

Screamo = gay emo's hitting puberty,
Death growls = strength of the dark gods roaring up from the bowels of hell itself.

It's idiotic opinions like that that're gonna get you eaten alive here.

Maybe it's not true for everyone, but I'm just stating an opinion. If you'd like, I can say that it's a fact that I believe such a thing. So my story was, in a way, based on a fact.

I personally can't stand screamy little emo bands like Black Veil Brides or the Devil Wears Prada. The vocals suck, and they suck hard. I know other people enjoy it, and I'm fine with them doing so, but it's just not for me.

Still, I'm here to tell you who I disliked and why I disliked them, and that was a key part of the story. I hated harsh vocals, and part of the reason why that was so is because screamo bands made such vocals sound ridiculous. I was obviously wrong in grouping them all together like that. There's all kinds of cool harsh vocal styles out there, but the kind that the aforementioned bands use is not something I would consider enjoyable.
----
09.09.2012 - 12:20
Uldreth
Written by Jaeryd on 09.09.2012 at 10:08

Maybe it's not true for everyone, but I'm just stating an opinion. If you'd like, I can say that it's a fact that I believe such a thing. So my story was, in a way, based on a fact.

I personally can't stand screamy little emo bands like Black Veil Brides or the Devil Wears Prada. The vocals suck, and they suck hard. I know other people enjoy it, and I'm fine with them doing so, but it's just not for me.

That, however is not what screamo is.

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=38843
THIS is screamo.

Probably you would not like the vocals here either but the difference in the actual music is sky and earth.
09.09.2012 - 21:20
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Uldreth on 09.09.2012 at 12:20

That, however is not what screamo is.

http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=38843
THIS is screamo.

Probably you would not like the vocals here either but the difference in the actual music is sky and earth.

You see, another lesson learned. It's somewhat harder for me to categorize those kinds of music because I don't listen to them, therefore I don't really have a feel for drawing the line between one genre and the other. I'll admit it sounds a little better, and completely different, but you were right when you said I probably wouldn't like it. It doesn't have the... "depth" of vocalization that I enjoy... but I can see how other people would enjoy it.

To me, it's a semantic issue. While it's helpful for everyone to be on the same page so we know what style of music we are each referring to, I was simply using a word to describe something that I didn't have any other way to describe (in my mind, anyway). I see what you mean though. It's like the difference between death metal and black metal: somewhat similar vocals in some cases, but a pretty huge difference.

Anyway, thanks. I guess I was a bit confused.
----
09.09.2012 - 22:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Obne what came on my mind is Shining ... I did nt like it earlyer, nwo sinec I can speek swedish now and understand (well Skåne is not Sweden) I start like Shining werry much, thank's to 1th and last video, now Im listeningf at YT it every day all songs, albums I realy start to like Shining werry much
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.09.2012 - 16:43
Sangre Sani
Well, there was a time when I disliked King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, but now I am addicted to their music.
25.09.2012 - 18:19
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I used to not like anything with harsh vocals, but when I turned 17, I started getting into Opeth because of their softer proggy side, and as a result, extreme metal in general.

I'm also start to respect Between the Buried and Me more, since I was turned off (I still kind of am) by the metalcore style. They've honestly been more of a grower than Opeth was at first.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
25.09.2012 - 19:56
shadow149
Megadeth i cant communicated with dave sound but now is different
26.09.2012 - 01:00
Zombie94
Written by Sangre Sani on 18.09.2012 at 16:43

Well, there was a time when I disliked King Diamond and Mercyful Fate, but now I am addicted to their music.

Still can't get into them cus his vocals give me a headache!
26.09.2012 - 16:01
Sangre Sani
Written by Zombie94 on 26.09.2012 at 01:00

Written by Sangre Sani on 18.09.2012 at 16:43

Still can't get into them cus his vocals give me a headache!

I started to like and appreciate vocals of King after listening to "Is That You, Melissa?" song by Mercyful Fate. Give it a try.
01.01.2013 - 15:45
Moonloop
Mastodon. I wouldn't say I disliked them, but they took a long time to get into. Also, to some degree; Baroness.
01.01.2013 - 17:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
All black metal. Thought it was just white noise. Then one day after hearing so much good about it, I zoned out to Nyktalgia's Cold Void, and I "got" it Always liked growls though, old Shadows Fall and JFAC got me into that.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.01.2013 - 01:48
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Didn't like Rammstein at all before, and I hated everything with screams and growls. Now it's just amazing!
02.01.2013 - 03:57
D
Amon Amarth...fuck me right?!
03.01.2013 - 09:41
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
I disliked amon amarth the first few times listened to them ! honestly i didnt give them a real chance ! but along came with oden on our side and i was sold at the first listen !! now fucking love this band
06.03.2013 - 16:23
blackwreath13
At one point: all metal that wasn't black metal or Slayer. It was war.
06.03.2013 - 16:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Metallica...but only the 80ties Metallica
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

06.03.2013 - 17:01
Jtbmetal123
I used to hate Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. When I grew up I never understood why. You grow out of your phases.
06.03.2013 - 18:48
R Lewis
I used to hate a lot Wintersun, probably for the screaming (I was a power metal child). Then, my tastes got heavier, and now they're among my favourite bands.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
09.03.2013 - 23:56
skrog1
When I was going through my early teens, I didn't like Slayer at all. I was more into mainstream Metallica and shit you'd find on MTV. Once I hit about 16 or so, Slayer became my favorite band. Just love the way that Kerry and Jeff write. Great stuff.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
06.08.2015 - 07:05
Forty2One
Blind Guardian.

Saw their video for their Mr. Sandman cover back in 2004 I think it was. Anyway, all I could think was how retarded this band is and that I'd never get into them. Shitty way to be, judging a band off one song that isn't even by them, but I was just a kid.

A few months ago I finally gave Power Metal a real chance, now Blind Guardian are among my most favorite bands, Nightfall in Middle-Earth is easily one of my favorite albums right now. Their early shit is good too.
----
Circus Maximus - Symphony X - Sabaton - Lost Horizon - Outworld - Falconer - Hammerfall
In Flames - Dream Theater - Enslaved
01.09.2015 - 20:09
Burzum. I really hated Varg, mainly because I had only listened to the newer, ambient-oriented stuff. The first time I listened to Dunkelheit, this changed forever.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter