Metal Storm logo
Automatical vs Manual Gear Stick

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 01.07.2012 - 16:59
What cars do you prefere more
There is 3 posibilities and what do you prefere

I personaly like only automatical, Its been long since I drove a car but manual is pain in ass, you need work whit legs, arms, its totaly nonsence to me
I prefere only automatical cars, you simply drive, car do all itr self, ok reverse but its easy , no work whit legs 2 pedales, one gass one brake
I know it was stupid think to do but I start even use one leg for gass one for brake, its easy one leg gass one rfake, even its totaly aganst all driving rules, but I dont care since I never willd rive manual car. I did it also when I have forth lift truck practice (it was 3 day job only) one gass, one brake, its much easyer,
So for me only automatic, IMO all manual cars can disapear , we have new loyouts, new HD TV, new PC whatever, why we need keep this old fassion crap manual car ?

Poll

What do you prefere more?

Manual
Automatic
All 3 Is Good
Semi Automatic

Total votes: 46
27.12.2017 - 14:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Become Death on 27.12.2017 at 04:15

I hate, hate, hate standard cars. I derive no pleasure whatsoever from driving, if I never had to drive again, I would be ecstatic. I just want to get from point A to point B. I can't stand the idea that if I screw up a little I could kill myself or, worse, someone else. So, if there is anything that makes driving easier for me, I'm all for it.

I hate it to that's why I want love in small town where all is 10min walking or 5 better. I hate to drive , I never will drive in Luleå what is small town, not talking about Stockholm, Goteborg or London, NY ... never. I can drive in open road alone and if max speekd is 110km/h I would drive 70 km
I cant drive backwards, I cant reverse
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.12.2017 - 14:41
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos

I hate, hate, hate standard cars. I derive no pleasure whatsoever from driving, if I never had to drive again, I would be ecstatic. I just want to get from point A to point B. I can't stand the idea that if I screw up a little I could kill myself or, worse, someone else. So, if there is anything that makes driving easier for me, I'm all for it.

Exactly.
I can't believe people actually dislike the effortless option just because they think it's "cool" otherwise. What the hell?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.12.2017 - 15:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 27.12.2017 at 14:41

Exactly.
I can't believe people actually dislike the effortless option just because they think it's "cool" otherwise. What the hell?

Yvssson wants live in mid ages and that Pquardy be independent from France and every single region is independent state as mid ages.
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2017 - 15:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by yvesson on 26.12.2017 at 22:48

Hej, basically, all automated things make the human beings stupider, or at least worse at working with their hands (or feet).
I also consider you'd fall asleep more having nothing to think about, except on a motorway you're just at the highest gear and you don't need to break, most of the time... and it's where people fall asleep.
Also think about it : nowadays you don't control things, things control you, next step is a full automated car.

You are right and wrong
Right: manual works better in N. Sweden. It can not freeze so much as automatically. But my mothers BF drove when there was -45¤C basically he could not take a leak 1000km because car can not stop. that gear trying to freeze and hand brakes as well freeze.
My friend had angine stop in -40¤C when raindear was in the road and car basically died in Soppero.

Auto is better in any place as craosroads traffic light and so on, acidents happen if you need think what foot and so on to use to fix gear if in auto you just need clic brake and gass and car is rolling
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2017 - 19:52
yvesson
Written by Bad English on 27.12.2017 at 15:06

Yvssson wants live in mid ages and that Pquardy be independent from France and every single region is independent state as mid ages.

Hej,
It's always what people say, when you criticise a bit modernity, then you want to go back to the middle ages. If you're against nuclear electicity, then you want to go back to when we used candles...
Also I thought democracy was what most people wanted, yet they can't understand that when the ruler is further away, it's less democracy.
I'm not the guy who'll use the car instead of a 5 min walk, I actually go to work by walking. But I live in the countryside, and in most cases you have to use the car. Maybe in summer you can use the bike a bit, but it's very limited as the next middle-sized town is 15min away by bike, and the bigger town is 1 hour away.

As for sweden, I have no idea how it works when it's minus 40, obviously I have never seen nor I will ever see that in france. I think -19°C is the lowest I have seen, and you'd better stay home on a day like this. Of course you can't do the same in sweden, but at -40°C, don't be much surprised if most of the tools you would use don't work... you may be able to break a belt made of leather or make snow with boiling water. You just want to avoid any activity outside at these temperatures (well I know scandinavians or russian have to, and prolly have techniques I don't know of).

About accidents, I think it's crazy to think manual car would cause more, driving a manual car when you are used to is like any activity you do a lot : you feet move "by themselves".
I think it's okej to drive in the countryside, but big towns are not funny places for driving, people get crazy because they are stuff in the traffic (and I understand that).
27.12.2017 - 20:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by yvesson on 27.12.2017 at 19:52

Written by Bad English on 27.12.2017 at 15:06

Hej,
It's always what people say, when you criticise a bit modernity, then you want to go back to the middle ages. If you're against nuclear electicity, then you want to go back to when we used candles...
Also I thought democracy was what most people wanted, yet they can't understand that when the ruler is further away, it's less democracy.
I'm not the guy who'll use the car instead of a 5 min walk, I actually go to work by walking. But I live in the countryside, and in most cases you have to use the car. Maybe in summer you can use the bike a bit, but it's very limited as the next middle-sized town is 15min away by bike, and the bigger town is 1 hour away.

As for sweden, I have no idea how it works when it's minus 40, obviously I have never seen nor I will ever see that in france. I think -19°C is the lowest I have seen, and you'd better stay home on a day like this. Of course you can't do the same in sweden, but at -40°C, don't be much surprised if most of the tools you would use don't work... you may be able to break a belt made of leather or make snow with boiling water. You just want to avoid any activity outside at these temperatures (well I know scandinavians or russian have to, and prolly have techniques I don't know of).

About accidents, I think it's crazy to think manual car would cause more, driving a manual car when you are used to is like any activity you do a lot : you feet move "by themselves".
I think it's okej to drive in the countryside, but big towns are not funny places for driving, people get crazy because they are stuff in the traffic (and I understand that).

I walk always walk but there are distances what I can not walk, I walk 50 minutes to my work, winter it takes 10 when lake is frozen and if I had night pass its cool,. day pass, no way I rather use a car.
We have engine heater and also inside heater, its plugged whit electricity and that's why car works. You need always have full tank, because it can freeze, fuel. Hand brakes too. This winter well few days ago was -18¤c then +29¤C now -8¤C tomorrow -18¤C

I have drive maybe 100km, if you have 10 000 maybe you can drive manual well, I still start car after stop whit 2 or 3 gear stick and then its engine stop. On city rush hour even Boden is small town, Lulevägen in rush hour and some idiots drives like 160 in a town, i wish cops would use A4 anti tank missile for such speeders.

I have pain in legs sometimes when I drive I cant hold pedal and sometimes it spins, I cant start a drive from hill when I park in a hill upside
----

apos;'
[image]
27.12.2017 - 20:35
yvesson
Hej, Again, if you drive on motorway, or normal road but with few few cars using them, you can just stay at the highest gear and not use the left foot, like an automatic car. Automatic pr manual, you use the right foot and this one can hurt, indeed, if you drive for a long time
27.12.2017 - 20:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by yvesson on 27.12.2017 at 20:35

Hej, Again, if you drive on motorway, or normal road but with few few cars using them, you can just stay at the highest gear and not use the left foot, like an automatic car. Automatic pr manual, you use the right foot and this one can hurt, indeed, if you drive for a long time

I cant drive on motoway, I cant drive , cant hold a car if I drive more then 70km per h and I cant drive usimg 4 and 5. Only 1-2-3. I cant back it. Maybe Jokkmokk, Älvsbyn road I can, little car, but not Lulevägen Boden-Luleå or E4 .,... no way
Also meeting car on country road can be tricky whit manual when you need turn from 3 to 2, I still look at gear stick, I don't feel it. Remmeber country roads in winter are smaller, snow makes it smaller, and snow makes that you need stop when you turn, you don't see if car is coming from other way what you will pass or turn to. Summer you can see, winter no.
----

apos;'
[image]
15.01.2018 - 13:55
Become Death
Written by yvesson on 26.12.2017 at 22:48

Hej, basically, all automated things make the human beings stupider, or at least worse at working with their hands (or feet).
I also consider you'd fall asleep more having nothing to think about, except on a motorway you're just at the highest gear and you don't need to break, most of the time... and it's where people fall asleep.
Also think about it : nowadays you don't control things, things control you, next step is a full automated car.

O.k., so why are you driving a car instead of walking? Why are you using the internet instead of walking to the people you want to communicate with and talking to them face to face? If you followed your own logic, you'd live in a cave and hunt animals with your bare hands (don't use a spear, as that would make you stupider, or at least worse at working with your hands).
----
Fear is the path to the darkside. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. Once you start down the path to the darkside, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.
15.01.2018 - 21:50
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Haha. He actually gave his counterargument for that like... Five posts above
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
17.01.2018 - 10:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Karlabos on 15.01.2018 at 21:50

^ Haha. He actually gave his counterargument for that like... Five posts above

Yves is right in some way, but not often specially politicaly, walking is good for heath, I do walk often in free time, but not to work.
Now its non possible drive, when you turn out cant see if car is coming, snow is maybe 2m-4m after cleaning, they clean roads and its , no place where clean, so visibility in turning is zero.

Gos I wanna see how yves will scratch a ice from car hhahaha
----

apos;'
[image]
21.07.2018 - 14:32
ANGEL REAPER
Manual, possibly with a mechanical reductor stick like in heavy machinery or tractors cause i really want to drive up that 60 degrees steep hill. Also i sometimes want to pull a dude stuck in the mud. And i want to be able to repair my ride with nothing but a hammer cause you know apocalipse and shit.

I like manual transmission. Automatic is easier in city ride but on bad (or none at all ) roads it's no good.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
23.07.2018 - 19:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 21.07.2018 at 14:32

Manual, possibly with a mechanical reductor stick like in heavy machinery or tractors cause i really want to drive up that 60 degrees steep hill. Also i sometimes want to pull a dude stuck in the mud. And i want to be able to repair my ride with nothing but a hammer cause you know apocalipse and shit.

I like manual transmission. Automatic is easier in city ride but on bad (or none at all ) roads it's no good.

I cant start car in such way and drive it, I cant drive well, I skip cities and I can not park car in a parking, I am sucky driver, I hate drive, and prefer auto, less error,
----

apos;'
[image]
07.08.2018 - 19:06
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Bad English on 23.07.2018 at 19:14

I cant start car in such way and drive it, I cant drive well, I skip cities and I can not park car in a parking, I am sucky driver, I hate drive, and prefer auto, less error,

Well , that is why automatic is popular . Too much people suck at driving.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
08.08.2018 - 18:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 07.08.2018 at 19:06

Written by Bad English on 23.07.2018 at 19:14

Well , that is why automatic is popular . Too much people suck at driving.

Its normal to suck on things. If I would chose I would like to have a personal driver. But I am way to poor.
----

apos;'
[image]
27.09.2018 - 14:12
Ashe
Account deleted
MANUALLLLLLLLLLL

Way better performance, gas mileage, and gear ratios. Automotive 101

Plus, I live in a country filled with mountains. You have any idea what would happen if you tried to go up a Swiss mountain road with an automatic? XD Then again, we're all taught to drive a stick from our first drivers training lessons, so we're kinda special.
29.09.2018 - 14:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 27.09.2018 at 14:12

MANUALLLLLLLLLLL

Way better performance, gas mileage, and gear ratios. Automotive 101

Plus, I live in a country filled with mountains. You have any idea what would happen if you tried to go up a Swiss mountain road with an automatic? XD Then again, we're all taught to drive a stick from our first drivers training lessons, so we're kinda special.

same in N sweden , mountains, forest and so on in -35¤C but I still prefer auto, even it can freeze easy and dont work here. Old SAAB , Volvo mnaual never breaks here , but I stll dont like, it.
----

apos;'
[image]
19.01.2019 - 19:08
MetalSpider
I've never driven a manual. I'd love to learn because I love driving. I drive a lot for work and personal. For that reason I would probably prefer Automatic or using Paddle Shifters. Manual would be fun in sports cars, otherwise I wouldn't want to drive my Mazda everyday if it was manual.

I've driven a Lamborghini that had paddle shifters and that was a ton of fun. I'm sure it would be fun as a manual car too.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
12.03.2019 - 21:49
Danroush

Basically this. I actually love karting and racing, but when it comes to actual road driving I don't enjoy a second of it, and see no reason strong enough to bother keeping manual gears in the 21st Century. Unfortunately "car people" like them, and car companies know they're more likely to spunk away large portions of their money on cars and are therefore the companies cater to them before us.
13.03.2019 - 00:51
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Automatic, without a shadow of a doubt.

I used to drive vehicles with manual transmissions in my younger days and I never even considered automatics, it was no alternative. Automatic gearboxes were considered to be grandpa's toys, only.

But some years ago, I got a new company car, AUDI A6 Quattro with 8 gear multitronic DSG (automatic direct-shift gearbox). It changed my driving habits at once and eliminated my prejudices forever.
Long distance trips on winding country roads, stop-and-go rush hours and traffic jams - all of this is a pleasure now. Driving is somehow more relaxed and above that, you don't need all of your four limbs anymore.
Can you hit the brakes, disengage, shift down a gear and steer simultaneously? I don't even want to think about this anymore, I just want to drive and hold a bottle of coke in my free hand when cutting tight corners.

Someone said that automatics are not suitable for mountainous roads, but that's just plain wrong. Modern automatic gearbox systems like VW group's DSG, Porsche's PDK or Volvo's Powershift are perfectly suited for mountain regions. In 2017, I sold my manually geared private car for a car with DSG and since then, I have crossed the Alps and the Pyrenees several times - with pleasure but without any problems.

I believe that the most comfortable way of driving is automatic, whereas manual gearboxes are just useless relicts of the past.
----
signatures = SPAM
14.03.2019 - 11:16
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
For me it's purely situational.

I learnt to drive in a manual, my first car was a manual & I grew up racing dirt bikes (which are obviously manual). So yeah, i love the additional control a manual provides.

Having said that, Dubai is basically full of motorways & congested roads where the stop/start traffic suck all the enjoyment out of driving a manual pretty quick! After selling my first car, all subsequent vehicles I've owned have been automatics & i've really enjoyed the convenience they provide. In fact, in UAE it's actually pretty damn hard to find manual cars these days as i'd say 95% of personal vehicles here are automatics.

If I lived somewhere without congestion, with access to long winding country roads i'd be desperate to be driving a manual at all costs, but for day-to-day life in a congested city i'm happy I have an automatic.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
14.03.2019 - 12:34
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Nefarious on 14.03.2019 at 11:16

[...] with access to long winding country roads i'd be desperate to be driving a manual at all costs [...]

Strange, for me, it's just the other way around - I love to cruise along winding country roads with automatics.
I get some people's point that automatics are kinda boring since there's really not that much to do anymore to control your vehicle, but the feeling of acceleration with modern automatics is a new level of driving experience that no manual gearbox can provide. Humans are just not quick enough to shift gears like a DSG does without harming your engine.
Besides, there's (almost) always the option to disconnect the automatic gearbox if you really want to experience a manual gear change again.
May I ask which particular automatic systems you've already possessed or tried out?
----
signatures = SPAM
14.03.2019 - 13:25
Nefarious
Doom Knight
Staff
Written by Starvynth on 14.03.2019 at 12:34

Strange, for me, it's just the other way around - I love to cruise along winding country roads with automatics.
I get some people's point that automatics are kinda boring since there's really not that much to do anymore to control your vehicle, but the feeling of acceleration with modern automatics is a new level of driving experience that no manual gearbox can provide. Humans are just not quick enough to shift gears like a DSG does without harming your engine.
Besides, there's (almost) always the option to disconnect the automatic gearbox if you really want to experience a manual gear change again.
May I ask which particular automatic systems you've already possessed or tried out?

Well for me, the joy with driving a manual isn't about pure acceleration. It's about feeling more 'in tune' with your car through operating the clutch to disengage the engine, making manual gear shifts, utilizing engine braking or better control of engine revs etc. It's about the overall driving experience for me.

The majority of the automatic systems i've possessed or tried out have been CVT or Tiptronic. I've never driven anything with a DSG before.
----
"FUCK!!! You're the fucking 5th person asking me in an interview about the woman in the bathtub?The problem is that I AM the fucking person in the bathtub, and I AM a fucking MAN, for fuck's sake! I hate you all!" ~ Herr Morbid
14.03.2019 - 15:14
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Nefarious on 14.03.2019 at 13:25

The majority of the automatic systems i've possessed or tried out have been CVT or Tiptronic. I've never driving anything with a DSG before.

Then you should really try that out some day. Synchronised direct-shift gearboxes are a new level of automatics, it has virtually nothing to do with old, conventional systems. Anything with 7 gears upwards and you don't even feel the gear changes anymore. It's very smooth but effective.
And before you ask: no, I'm not selling cars in real life.
----
signatures = SPAM
16.03.2019 - 21:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 13.03.2019 at 00:51

Automatic, without a shadow of a doubt.

I used to drive vehicles with manual transmissions in my younger days and I never even considered automatics, it was no alternative. Automatic gearboxes were considered to be grandpa's toys, only.

But some years ago, I got a new company car, AUDI A6 Quattro with 8 gear multitronic DSG (automatic direct-shift gearbox). It changed my driving habits at once and eliminated my prejudices forever.
Long distance trips on winding country roads, stop-and-go rush hours and traffic jams - all of this is a pleasure now. Driving is somehow more relaxed and above that, you don't need all of your four limbs anymore.
Can you hit the brakes, disengage, shift down a gear and steer simultaneously? I don't even want to think about this anymore, I just want to drive and hold a bottle of coke in my free hand when cutting tight corners.

Someone said that automatics are not suitable for mountainous roads, but that's just plain wrong. Modern automatic gearbox systems like VW group's DSG, Porsche's PDK or Volvo's Powershift are perfectly suited for mountain regions. In 2017, I sold my manually geared private car for a car with DSG and since then, I have crossed the Alps and the Pyrenees several times - with pleasure but without any problems.

I believe that the most comfortable way of driving is automatic, whereas manual gearboxes are just useless relicts of the past.

I live in a small town ca 20 000 i cant drive manual, even i lappland i Hate it where are maybe 10 cars. Automatik is best, even i am bad driver.
----

apos;'
[image]
18.03.2019 - 10:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Long distance trips on winding country roads, stop-and-go rush hours and traffic jams - all of this is a pleasure now.

where do you live?
I tried new BMW well manual, even manual looks auto, gear stick is modern, it shows in display when to switch and so on. car dont shake when you do wrong, not engine brake, just 0 wtf it calls. Its like automatic, cant compare to old manual.
They say old swedish volvo and saab is best here, whit manual. Maybe in winter, they never broke up, and lonely Nordic roads where more bears, noose or reindears are as cars. I still am modenr people, I want all is simply as fuck
----

apos;'
[image]
18.03.2019 - 11:16
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Bad English on 18.03.2019 at 10:56

Long distance trips on winding country roads, stop-and-go rush hours and traffic jams - all of this is a pleasure now.

where do you live?

Cologne, fourth-largest city of Germany.
But my office is located 40 km out of town, in a region called 'Bergisches Land' (lit. 'mountainous country'), so I have to pass through city traffic and winding country roads, almost every day.
----
signatures = SPAM
18.03.2019 - 11:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 18.03.2019 at 11:16

Written by Bad English on 18.03.2019 at 10:56

where do you live?

Cologne, fourth-largest city of Germany.
But my office is located 40 km out of town, in a region called 'Bergisches Land' (lit. 'mountainous country'), so I have to pass through city traffic and winding country roads, almost every day.

You mean Köln
Shit man, I wont fix it, I need walk 40minutes to work, sometimes I can cross frozen lake, it takes 20min, but I rary use a car. I hate clean snow, around and so on, mainly because there are no parking spots aenough for workers. I walk, summer bicycle. You need run your engine 10 minutes and drive long distances in winter, otherwise bathery will die. I wont use a car, I am lazy to clean 40cm of snow, new snow hehehe
----

apos;'
[image]
18.03.2019 - 11:30
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
Written by Bad English on 18.03.2019 at 11:20

You mean Köln

Yes, it's Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium.
Snow has never really been a problem here, but the people (not being used to it) are a major problem. They tend to lapse into panic as soon as they spot more than two snowflakes.
----
signatures = SPAM
18.03.2019 - 11:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Starvynth on 18.03.2019 at 11:30

Written by Bad English on 18.03.2019 at 11:20

You mean Köln

Yes, it's Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium.
Snow has never really been a problem here, but the people (not being used to it) are a major problem. They tend to lapse into panic as soon as they spot more than two snowflakes.

Not here either, unless you are grumpy 65 years old ma, whit 19 years old thai chick. Then its problem and swedes start to nag after they start to travel to Thailand. ehh
Today I saw 5 risky drivers and situations, all was immigrant drivers. They are potential risk drivers same as young drivers 19 and so on. One lad I work he did not get driving license in probe because he didnt read a theory and drove ca 20 km faster as you can. His brother lost license after 4 weeks when get it, he drove 140 km/h .... idiots.
Last weekend my friend stucked hehehe roads was not clean. It will take to me 1hn today to clean snow around car ehhh, so I will take buss and walk.

Its not recommend here drive short distances in winter, even it wont be huge minus, this week will be in plus, but still , bathery can die, I changed mine this winter,
----

apos;'
[image]