Metal Storm logo
Ancient Rites

18.11.2006 - 07:57
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Ancient Rites are a band from Belgium, that play several styles combined in metal, the early days were kind of Black/Thrash Metal, and the latter is more Symphonic Black Metal, but in a more epic sense, actually more like Symphonic Heavy / Black. It weird. They have been around since 1989.

I bought their latest album Rubicon today, it is an instant classic, the theme is war, and is is inspiring Metal about various historic battles, not only lyrically, but musically. Every song is brilliant on this album, all i can say is, its one of the greatest releases of all time for me. Has anyone heard this album yet?
18.11.2006 - 08:08
AntaeusM
Elite
You should try to get Dim Carcosa. That album outmatches Rvbicon in so many ways. Anyway, this band is brilliant, they were really original for their time, and they still are. Every album is unique on its own. But especially Dim Carcosa, that is the pinnacle of the Belgium black metal scene, or maybe viking, pagan metal or whatever term they use for their music nowadays.
18.11.2006 - 09:49
Eight
Shapeshifter
I'm not a fan, never listened to their albums exept of the 'Rvbicon', and i think it's really great.
@Blackgir i'll try it too, thanks for the advise, maybe will get into it
----
Book: "I am a Shepherd. Folks like a man of God."

Mal: "No, they don't. Men of God make everyone feel guilty and judged."
18.11.2006 - 10:57
FOOCK Nam
I heard many compliments from metalheads of my country about Ancient Rites, and they appreciate Dim Carcosa high. As for me, I 've only listened to the song Total Misanthropia, its title appealed me, and the version is live and they performed really well
19.11.2006 - 00:35
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
I have The Diabolic Serenades too, their first album, and its also amazing! It seems Ancient Rites have a need to be in my favourite bands list! I will look for that album Dim Carcosa.
21.11.2006 - 04:06
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I agree with Blackgir with the fact that Dim Carcosa is much better than Rubicon... I didn't like the bal sagoth-esque sound adopted....
08.04.2007 - 19:46
Reborn Nemesis
ah, how I love this band...

Dim Carcosa is defnitely one of the best melo black albums ever. Every song has its place, there are no songs that are put there just to fill the blanks. The first time I heard it, I couldn't believe how good it was, so I kept listening to it over and over again, trying to find something I didn't like. Guess what? Couldn't find anything...
Rvbicon is also great, but not as brilliant as Dim Carcosa.
From their older stuff, I deeply appreciate The Diabolic Serenades, their first full-length. If it weren't for Dim Carcosa, that one would probably be my fav. Great melodies, compositions, and that outro in the end - it's so sweet...
----
... For blood I hunger, possessed by the dark...

... No remorse, I'll tear your flesh apart...
08.04.2007 - 21:13
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Dim Carcosa is a relly great album.

But for "Rubicon" the notices are more mitigated. IMO I like also this one. It's different as said on the top.
But check after we wish that the groups evolve and do not propose the same thing every time.
And when they make it, it like or not, one needs for all the tastes
08.04.2007 - 21:20
APOHAKC
The Bard
Gods, I love this band.. It is strange but this band was among first metal bands ever I listened, when I was at elementary school. All albums are excellent and they never betrayed their fans. Songs like Evil Prevails, Mother Eurpe, Fatherland, Ode To Ancient Europa... are real fucking classics.. and their live album, And The Hordes Stood As One are among best live albums ever for me... This guys are real fucking spirit of metal.
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
11.05.2007 - 20:20
Lathronniel
Hmmm...like some things but for my taste they can be very heavy in some tracks which i don't like (when i say don't like i don't mean about respect..after all i respect roots )
----
I amar prestar aen, han mathon ne nen, han mathon ne chae a han noston ned 'wilith...
11.05.2007 - 20:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
I like their heavy parts, Mother Europe is almost heavy metal song lol But I love Ancient Rites because they succesfully mix several music genres into one piece of agressive metal. New albums are more melodic and they have really much keys in songs.. But I prefer older albums lol The Diabolic Serenades is nice piece of extreme black metal
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
12.04.2008 - 22:18
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
This band just surprised me in a not so positive way. Of course, being a Belgian, I know them for quite a while now, and I was aware of their love for paganism, European history and heritage. And of course there's nothing wrong with having the weapon shield of Flanders (a black lion on a yellow background) on your website somewhere (after all, we don't want to exaggerate). But somehow I didn't expect them to play on AVV Fest here in Belgium.

Let me explain why. The festival will take place in Diksmuide (Belgium), not far from the "Ijzertoren" (Iron Tower) monument. The "Ijzertoren" is a war memorial monument, and it is actually a symbol for "Nooit Meer Oorlog" (No more war). But, the tower also sports the abbreviations AVV-VVK: Alles Voor Vlaanderen-Vlaanderen voor Kristus (All for Flanders-Flanders for Christ). It is considered to be a symbol of Flemish nationalism, especially regarding the rights to use the Dutch language and the rights to political autonomy. The IJzertoren has been recognised by the Flemish parliament as the official memorial of Flemish emancipation. Of course, the monument has also been associated with neo-nazi meetings...

And that's exactly what this AVV ("All For Flanders") Fest seems to be on first sight... According to some promo material this is a festival "for the people/nation and the Flanders-land". Plus, also Lion's Pride will play. A very very "patriotic" band, operating in the dark borders of neo-nazism. Go figure.
On the other hand, also Zwartketterij and Klauwaert are playing. And they're more pagan BM but not really NSBM, so they are "pretty clean". Just like Ancient Rites, I always guessed.

Anyway, it's obvious they're trying to sell this as a "pagan/patriotic/nationalistic metal fest". But it is even more obvious this will attract a lot of "wrong people", and thus not the standard metalhead... Besides, a lot of extreme right-winged websites are supporting this event already, including some movements who are supporting the independence of Flanders and who want Flanders to become a republic :
----
Your favorite band sucks.
13.08.2008 - 07:22
Oracle
Orcinus
I love This band, all their albums are great and i especially love the album 'The Diabolic Serenades'... it is so satanic and evil
I dont know how its their worst album though IMO it's their best...