Metal Storm logo
Acoustic Metal . . . ? WTF?

Original post

Posted by nasmith, 03.12.2012 - 04:51
No distortion.
No amplification.

Just acoustic guitars (albeit played agressively), often vocals, and sometimes drums.

This is pretty much the trend I've seen on YouTube videos by people who play music they call "acoustic metal." That's like an oxymoron. It's a stretch to say there's a genre of acoustic rock, but acoustic metal . . . ? What do you think?

Note that acoustic metal, as I'm using it here (and in the context of most of the usages I've seen it), is not the same as an acoustic cover of a metal song. Just thought I'd get that straight.

Discuss.

EDIT: I'm also not talking about bands who mix acoustic into their songs between or alongside electric guitars, just ones who use acoustic the whole time.

Poll

Is it possible for there to be "acoustic metal"? (See below.)

Yes
No

Total votes: 36
11.12.2012 - 21:50
enumaelis
I was thinking about this topic... and what about the opositte? could it be a band that you would never label as "Metal" but that has enough distorsion in the guitars?
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
11.12.2012 - 21:54
enumaelis
Written by enumaelis on 11.12.2012 at 21:50

I was thinking about this topic... and what about the opositte? could it be a band that you would never label as "Metal" but that has enough distorsion in the guitars?

Well, sorry, just saw a similar topic here http://metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=41538 and probably there are more
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
11.12.2012 - 22:05
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Acoustic rock is a thing, right? I think considering tone, spirit, and attitude would classify an acoustic band as "metal" more than song structure would.

Good example of a folk band *arguably* using metal elements to create more aggressive music in relation to bands within their own genre:

Obviously the bass and the violin are electric, but I mean... You could get the same sound from their respected acoustic counterparts. ;3
12.12.2012 - 00:20
nasmith
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 11.12.2012 at 22:05

Acoustic rock is a thing, right? I think considering tone, spirit, and attitude would classify an acoustic band as "metal" more than song structure would.

Good example of a folk band *arguably* using metal elements to create more aggressive music in relation to bands within their own genre:

Obviously the bass and the violin are electric, but I mean... You could get the same sound from their respected acoustic counterparts. ;3

That's not really metal, although you're right about there being some metal- and punk-influenced aggression added.
12.12.2012 - 00:49
nasmith
Written by Edmund Fogg on 06.12.2012 at 01:52

Distorsion dosen't have to come from electric guitars. Hell, most ritualistic bands don't play any instruments and have more of a violent Atmospheric Noise feel to it but I still consider them Metal due to the violence of the music and the slight hints of distortions here and there. Botanist is Metal without a doubt, However Qwertzuiop isn't Metal... I don't get it. I know I don't consider him Metal, I just can't put my finger on why.

I agree that Botanist is metal, that's some badass dulcimer. For Qwertzuiop, I'd say from the one song I heard by him that he's more ambient.
12.12.2012 - 03:46
Unhealer
Eclecticist
It can happen. If you play a metal song exactly as the original but with acoustic guitars, it will probably sound like metal anyway.

An example (well, imagine Araya singing it like usual )

A song that I remember it sounds metal at times being all acoustic is this one:
12.12.2012 - 06:32
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by nasmith on 12.12.2012 at 00:20

That's not really metal, although you're right about there being some metal- and punk-influenced aggression added.

I dunno, man. I think O'Death is a bit metal "in spirit", at least. And definitely more so than a good amount of "heavy" bands think they are. Metal reaches out to all ends of the musical landscape, in one way or another. It allows us to even consider a topic such as this. It's wonderful. ^-^