Metal Storm logo
Why Old School?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 08.01.2013 - 23:09
Why you still love the old school style in metal music ? Isn't its time over or what ? EDIT: if I have to choose between old school and Modern Music for SURE I will pick the old school one. But the thing I have said here comes from a debate that some metal fellows believe most of old schoolers had lack of knowledge in music those days so they have created that, nowadays we have modern music because of the knowledge improved then albums that have the old school vibes might not be produced anymore, but I still think albums with old school feeling can be produced again and they can be successful too,even in this period of time that seems Modern style has more customers.
12.01.2013 - 11:30
Fredd
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.01.2013 at 10:40

at the time just as much shit was released, percentage wise, as there is in the current day and age,

people need to realise this.
12.01.2013 - 12:35
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 12.01.2013 at 11:30

at the time just as much shit was released, percentage wise, as there is in the current day and age,

people need to realise this.

yes I Third that !
12.01.2013 - 14:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

Written by Powerslavex on 12.01.2013 at 09:36

IMO the best music ever produced up till now is between the 70's and 80's

that is because now you only hear the good stuff from that era. But let me guarantee you that at the time just as much shit was released, percentage wise, as there is in the current day and age,

but there was % more good muisc on radio and TV how we have nowdays and media generaly more talk and wrote about good stuff
Nowdays media is full whit shit, those days was much easyer get good band smore often in media
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
12.01.2013 - 14:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 12.01.2013 at 14:02

but there was % more good muisc on radio and TV how we have nowdays and media generaly more talk and wrote about good stuff
Nowdays media is full whit shit, those days was much easyer get good band smore often in media

no there was more good music % wise on radio and tv back then. And the media were full of shit back then as well. And in those days it was as hard to get good bands in the media. Nothing is different in that repspect nowadays compared to the 60s, 70s, 80s.

People shouldn't talk about stuff they don't know anything about like this sort of thing. I lived in that day and age and let me guaranteee you back then it was just as bad as nowadays in ALL respects. But it seems people who were born later want to romanticize that era
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2013 - 14:06
Zombie94

that is because now you only hear the good stuff from that era. But let me guarantee you that at the time just as much shit was released, percentage wise, as there is in the current day and age,

I think nostalgia from the older generation of metalheads is also responsible for the idea that oldschool has to be better.

It reminds me of how I still think all of the cartoons from the 90s are the best. But they're the ones I grew up with and had the biggest impact on me so it's no wonder I love them more.
12.01.2013 - 14:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.01.2013 at 14:06

Written by Bad English on 12.01.2013 at 14:02

no there was more good music % wise on radio and tv back then. And the media were full of shit back then as well. And in those days it was as hard to get good bands in the media. Nothing is different in that repspect nowadays compared to the 60s, 70s, 80s.

People shouldn't talk about stuff they don't know anything about like this sort of thing. I lived in that day and age and let me guaranteee you back then it was just as bad as nowadays in ALL respects. But it seems people who were born later want to romanticize that era

Comparing whit nowdays , VH1 and VH1 Classic totyaly sucks, MTV show some shows about mussicans house , here in Swe we have no good radio
only 1th program what is news 2 what is classical muisc 3 what is more underground and sometimes play rare stuff, 4 is sports
rest what is not national radio play all same pop songs even Bandit Rock play old same nsongs 4 years .... MS update news x band relise new video .. not a chane see it on TV

why in YT I can see some bands in german tv , sameold metal concerts on Swe TV, same whit Finland

As far I remeber from my life more younger i was more better muisc on TV .... till all died
MCM2 was Total metal and Total Rock, VH1 had rock show whit good videos, VH1 classic was classic rock, many others music channels had metal ..... now and ppl ask me how came I listen omnly swedish 1th radio and dont watch any muisc TV
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2013 - 14:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
BTW if somebodyboffer to me to go beck in time and live there I wont, I might go like tourist and come beck, but not live,
There was no net , I never have lived addult life whit out net from 2002 someting (dial up) and 2005 brodband Im addited to net. to MS
I can survibe, go out, go to vocation, but if Im at home I can not live whit out damn net I need to be somewhere
Maybe I lite overeact of that time magic, but more I remeber time 90's when I wa sliving, not addult but child, it was OK for me
we climb in treas, played war games, football, swimmed, collect autumn leafes, in winter we use to ski, some guys skate (cant do winter activities in Lv any more,
there us no winter no stabil minus degries 2-3 months)

If I shood go beck, and live addult life .... I dont think I would want to and well I prefere watch 70's 80's films, specely when men wears other cloths than suit hehe
----

apos;'
[image]
13.01.2013 - 10:53
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker

Written by Powerslavex on 12.01.2013 at 09:36

IMO the best music ever produced up till now is between the 70's and 80's

i agree with u to some extent but still the stars of those ages produced the legendary stuff ! my point is great music is still produced today but imo old school is still in a level of its own
13.01.2013 - 13:05
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
When considering metal in general I've always wondered where you might draw the line between what is old school and what isn't. I also wonder whether the line will be in the same place in the future or will it shift to accommodate the music of today as well as what we commonly understand of as old school now. Maybe modern metal genres like djent will be considered old school some day.
13.01.2013 - 18:23
Malphas
Well there are still bands playing old school music today like immolation for example (whose newer stuff of course is not 100% the same as their first albums but you get my point)
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
21.01.2013 - 03:44
squidrick420
I may be young and in the generation of "Modern Metal," but i would listen to the old school stuff over new stuff any day. Yeah there are some really good modern bands, i wont deny it. Yet i still find myself more drawn to the sound of death/black/thrash metal of the 80's and early 90's (and of course the classic metal of the 70's). I can not fully explain why this appeals to me more, but I can say that i prefer the sound of recoding & production, the freshness of the emerging extreme metal genres, and the overall effect the music has on me.
21.01.2013 - 09:55
king_matt
Written by Bad English on 12.01.2013 at 14:25

BTW if somebodyboffer to me to go beck in time and live there I wont, I might go like tourist and come beck, but not live,
There was no net , I never have lived addult life whit out net from 2002 someting (dial up) and 2005 brodband Im addited to net. to MS
I can survibe, go out, go to vocation, but if Im at home I can not live whit out damn net I need to be somewhere
Maybe I lite overeact of that time magic, but more I remeber time 90's when I wa sliving, not addult but child, it was OK for me
we climb in treas, played war games, football, swimmed, collect autumn leafes, in winter we use to ski, some guys skate (cant do winter activities in Lv any more,
there us no winter no stabil minus degries 2-3 months)

If I shood go beck, and live addult life .... I dont think I would want to and well I prefere watch 70's 80's films, specely when men wears other cloths than suit hehe

wut
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
21.01.2013 - 15:12
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by king_matt on 21.01.2013 at 09:55

Written by Bad English on 12.01.2013 at 14:25

wut

Don't worry man, It's Bad English
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.01.2013 - 23:58
Erik M.
Written by R'Vannith on 13.01.2013 at 13:05

When considering metal in general I've always wondered where you might draw the line between what is old school and what isn't. I also wonder whether the line will be in the same place in the future or will it shift to accommodate the music of today as well as what we commonly understand of as old school now. Maybe modern metal genres like djent will be considered old school some day.

Well, I always seem to think of anyting earlier than 1990 to be "old school". Whether that's wrong or not I don't know.

I highly prefer modern metal (1990 and onwards) to the old school metal. Hell, I don't think I even listened to more than 10 albums of before 1990.
23.01.2013 - 06:44
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Erik M. on 22.01.2013 at 23:58

Well, I always seem to think of anyting earlier than 1990 to be "old school". Whether that's wrong or not I don't know.

I highly prefer modern metal (1990 and onwards) to the old school metal. Hell, I don't think I even listened to more than 10 albums of before 1990.

Seems to me to be difficult to put a precise date on it though. I mean what happened in 1990 that was different, some sort of rapid change? But I'm just being pedantic It's not all that hard to distinguish a modern sound from an older one, generally speaking.
10.03.2013 - 01:00
skrog1
Old Skool 'cause for Pete's sakes at least there was a hook to os music!! Now it's just retarded time sigs and screaming with a bunch of the widdly widdly versus solid, chunky guitar riffs, with a song structure that shows the writer graduated the third grade.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 01:03
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 01:00

Old Skool 'cause for Pete's sakes at least there was a hook to os music!! Now it's just retarded time sigs and screaming with a bunch of the widdly widdly versus solid, chunky guitar riffs, with a song structure that shows the writer graduated the third grade.

Wtf are you saying -_- Are you actually listening to other stuff than what YOU call ''Oldschool'' lol. Cuz by the looks of it, you're not lol.
What kind of idiotic argument is this (with a song structure that shows the writer graduated the third grade)...

I thought we were done with those meaningless comments ? Who're you lol.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.03.2013 - 01:10
skrog1
I'm not talking about technical death metal, if that's what you mean. I'm talking about shit like Iwresteledabearonce and Dillenger Escape Plan.
----

10.03.2013 - 01:19
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 01:10

I'm not talking about technical death metal, if that's what you mean. I'm talking about shit like Iwresteledabearonce and Dillenger Escape Plan.

No no im not just pointing out Tech Death, Im not a -core fan myself, but it doesn't mean its shit. I mean how can you say that some music is shit, when there's people enjoying it. Maybe it does not fit your taste, but it doesn't mean its shit lol. Thats what I was saying. Alot of -core bands you probably dislike did put alot of work in their music and releases.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.03.2013 - 01:30
skrog1
To each their own. I don't like it = shit. Pretty simple.
----

10.03.2013 - 01:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 01:30

To each their own. I don't like it = shit. Pretty simple.

Yeah just don't make it sound out as a fact. lol thats all
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.03.2013 - 01:34
skrog1
You're on a message board and you think anything that anyone's posting is fact???? lol.

----

10.03.2013 - 18:10
Lit.
Account deleted

...And of course, you see the irony in that considering most tech death today sucks, as does most death metal.
Oh, and there's nothing wrong with DEP.
10.03.2013 - 18:31
Monolithic
♠♠♠
I would appreciate appealing music, whether it is old school or modern.
10.03.2013 - 22:32
skrog1
Written by Guest on 10.03.2013 at 18:10

I can't stand that band. There's absolutely nothing in their music that appeals to me in the slightest.
----

11.03.2013 - 03:13
Lit.
Account deleted

Written by Guest on 10.03.2013 at 18:10

I can't stand that band. There's absolutely nothing in their music that appeals to me in the slightest.

Then that's your problem. No need to go around saying "They're new school therefore they suck." They may be new school, but they're pretty good. Pairing them with iwrestledabearonce is just unfair, cause they're much better.
...Can't say the same for iwrestledabearonce, though.
EDIT: God, this fucking quote system.
03.02.2014 - 20:28
Aristarchos

Personally I say that new school started around 1995 with Slaughter of the soul among others
03.02.2014 - 22:07
angel.
Evil Butterfly
I started out this thread
----
The Fangirl.
04.02.2014 - 00:45
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by angel. on 03.02.2014 at 22:07

I started out this thread

Want a medal?

You know, if anything, this thread made me realize that a) I prefer the "new school" and b) that most of the "old school" is either just plain overrated, or I simply don't like it because I wasn't there and am thus not like some members that think their time is better than ours. Of course, there's hypocritical irony in that, because I see our time way better than theirs. Like Marcel said, most of the stuff from that time we have now made it out of the temporal filter because it was actually worth listening to, and even then some shit works and some don't. I'm sure people will say the same about the new school when it's referred to as the old school (and the old school is referred to as "the classic oldies"), but I gotta tell you: New school is shitting over the old school for me. It's like stuff from the underground: 75% of the time, it just deserves to stay there.

Actually, you know what? Fuck the old school/new school mentality. This ain't hip-hop.
04.02.2014 - 03:36
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
Written by Aristarchos on 03.02.2014 at 20:28

Personally I say that new school started around 1995 with Slaughter of the soul among others

As there's no clear cut distinction between the "old" and the "new" schools, I think a lot of where we draw a line between the two comes down to personal preference, for the most part. I think it's also dependant on style and genre, what might be considered as the later examples of "old school" in one genre might come after or prior to what's considered old school in another genre, chronologically speaking.

Actually, having mentioned chronology, I don't really think there is such a thing in this case, or at least it's not clear and easy to chart. All old bands and their music just become lumped into the one mass called "old school" I suppose. If a majority recognise something as particularly old school, then old school it is. Otherwise it all seems vague to me; we might personally recognise a piece of music or a band's style as "old school" whereas others might not. Some might say "Slaughter Of The Soul" is old school, other's may not.

Perhaps there's even some sort of middle ground between the two? I don't know, I'm just surmising.

Of course the more well known bands and their music can be easily recognised for their fitting into the "old school" out of sheer popularity and the fact that many people agree that that's the sound of this "old school." Consensus can easily tell us what is "old school" and what isn't, what it can't tell us really is where that line between the "old school" and the "new school" actually is, if such a thing is possible to identify. We're are talking about a form of entertainment after all, it's and art form, it's music, it's not the simplest of tasks to make any unquestionable definitions when things are so highly subjective, even for the oldies.

But I'm just speaking from my youthful and inexperienced perspective, I'm sure what represents "old school" as opposed to "new school" would be a lot clearer to those who've actually lived throughout the changes, were there to experience them as they happened, which is something I was not a part of.