Metal Storm logo
Inactive Members

02.02.2013 - 15:56
R Lewis

I don't know if this topic was treated somewhere else, but I often see users which don't connect to MS since one, two years. I don't know if keeping "dead" members slows down the site or not, but couldn't we start some kind of reduction? I mean, is it useful to have users like this?
Thanks for your attention.
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
02.02.2013 - 18:31
R Lewis

Yeah, I just put him because I remember I quoted him in a Dream Theater album, so I found him pretty easily.
----
02.02.2013 - 18:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
They "slow down" the site in the matter that it takes a bit (but really a short, short bit) to load and display comments made by them, or their names in members list...but i dont think it is really problematic compared to total amount of users and posts around here...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.02.2013 - 18:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Nope they don't slow down the site at all. When their profiles are deleted their posts still remain ion all the threads.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2013 - 23:02
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And loading those posts and threads technically slows down the site...
----

03.02.2013 - 03:21
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
It takes the internet longer to try and figure wtf K7 is spouting and load that up than "account deleted's" comments...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
03.02.2013 - 13:21
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I also think its negligible...but still - it is
----

04.02.2013 - 02:30
psykometal
A staff guy...
Well he's not referring to "deleted accounts", he's talking about the accounts that are still here but the user just hasn't logged into their account in forever. And he feels that Mods should delete said accounts from the database.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.02.2013 - 02:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Many accounts has been delited,
IO cant find some werry old members,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
04.02.2013 - 04:25
lightndw

Http://www.metalstorm.net/users/hueylewie/profile
04.02.2013 - 07:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by lightndw on 04.02.2013 at 04:25

Http://www.metalstorm.net/users/hueylewie/profile

Yes?
----

04.02.2013 - 15:06
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by psykometal on 04.02.2013 at 02:30

Well he's not referring to "deleted accounts", he's talking about the accounts that are still here but the user just hasn't logged into their account in forever. And he feels that Mods should delete said accounts from the database.

that doesn't make the site faster, because the posts by those "deleted accounts" will still be around.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.02.2013 - 15:41
R Lewis

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2013 at 15:06

that doesn't make the site faster, because the posts by those "deleted accounts" will still be around.

That's right, but I was not talking about the comments, but the account themselves. I was wandering if keeping the old accounts is making the site "heavier", slower. Having said this, "all I know is that I know nothing" about the functioning of this site and if this operation could be useful or simply time wasting.
----
04.02.2013 - 17:07
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.02.2013 at 15:06

Well I know this, I was just making sure people understood what he was on about. But I do kind of feel the old accounts should be deleted but not for speed's sake, just so that the "Registered users" list on the site shows more accurate results with regards to active users. The "Registered users" list makes it look like we have 40,000 active users but I'm sure that probably 10% of the accounts are -Total banned and then probably another 15-20% plus are accounts that the users don't even log into anymore.

My suggestion would be to either create a master list of all the banned usernames that if anybody tries to register that name again they can't. So instead of having a shitload of -Total ban accounts that makes the "Registered users" list appear to have more active users than we actually do, we would have a main blacklist of usernames that only Mods have access to and y'all just put the bad usernames on that list and delete their account entirely. Then for all the accounts where the users don't log in ever, if the user has actually participated on the site like posting and editing and whatnot then the account is left alone (just in case they wanna come back without losing their prior accomplishments) but the "Registered users" list gets coded to only recognize accounts where the user has logged in in the last 30 days. This would make the "Registered users" list show more accurate results of active users rather than just every account we have including dead and inactive accounts.

Or just ignore deleting accounts and code the "Registered users" list to not recognize -Total ban accounts or accounts that haven't been logged into in the last 30 days.

Just my honest to God thoughts on the matter, take it or leave it but I'm not intending to create an argument or anything just voicing something that has been on my mind in the past but never got around to actually voicing.
----

04.02.2013 - 17:47
R Lewis

To me this seems an OK solution, neither drastic nor "live and let live". Thank You psyko.
----
04.02.2013 - 17:56
Fritillaria
Account deleted
that's the best solution, psykometal
04.02.2013 - 18:06
psykometal
A staff guy...
Well it's an idea and I like the idea but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. I made a similar argument as you a few years back when I was still a noob and the response was no different than the responses you got being that said accounts "don't slow down the system so there's no point in deleting them" and back then since I was new and had no idea how the site runs and I wasn't familiar with the Staff back then I didn't know how to properly make the argument for deleting accounts. Not that I know exactly how to do it now but I am much more familiar with how to present my arguments with my [now] fellow Staff members, but that still doesn't mean my thought means fuckall to any of them in this particular matter.
----

04.02.2013 - 18:38
Ivor
Staff
Listen, people. Go find something reasonable to do instead of trying to solve a pseudo problem. Go use your brainpower on the edits or news or something. Write a review if you feel bored. This is not a problem. Period. Move along. Nothing to see here.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
04.02.2013 - 21:16
theFIST

Written by psykometal on 04.02.2013 at 17:07

My suggestion would be to either create a master list of all the banned usernames that if anybody tries to register that name again they can't. So instead of having a shitload of -Total ban accounts that makes the "Registered users" list appear to have more active users than we actually do, we would have a main blacklist of usernames that only Mods have access to and y'all just put the bad usernames on that list and delete their account entirely.

why would that list be needed?
that"d make it impossible for anyone else to register the username they want just because earlier someone misbehaved with an account with that name....
----
http://metalstormmusicianscorner.bandcamp.com
Written by Warman on 07.11.2007 at 22:39
Haha, that's like saying "compose your own Metal album and upload it here, instead of writing a review of an album". :lol:
04.02.2013 - 21:44
psykometal
A staff guy...
Well Ivor said to drop this but for the sake of not leaving a question unanswered I will answer, and I am answering here instead of in PM so that other users who happen upon this thread don't re-ask the question since it was never publicly answered.

The whole point of -Total banning an account is the user can't use the account anymore but that doesn't stop an especially determined individual from just creating another account with a different username. So we -Total ban instead of deleting because that locks out the username, otherwise the user could just create another account with the same exact name, so the -Total ban causes them to come up with a new name if they really are that determined to be on the site. So creating a Master blacklist of bad user's names would be to keep the username locked out without having to keep the account in the system. So really as far as blocked usernames are concerned there would be no difference between -Total banning and dusing a Master list then deleting because that specific username is locked out permanently either way.
----