Metal Storm logo
2006 Another Year In Metal: Thoughts On How This Year Was

07.12.2006 - 04:15
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Well, the title says it all. Please spare me you thoughts on 2006 and how that was for metal.

To be honest I found it an average to crap year.
At the end of the year around this time what I usually do is look at the number of ORIGINAL cds I bought tat were released THIS year.
Well I ONLY bought 65 ORIGINALS that were released this year, LAST YEARS I bought 107 released in 2005.
In total I bought 210 cds last year and 208 this year, so that is telling.

I LOVE thrash, last year and the year before that there were at least 7 releases which I REALLY enjoyed. This year just three.
In black metal it was bad as well, last year I had major probles getting it down from 30 good releases to 10 and this year I have problems finding even 10.
Death metal was an alright year, but the problem being everyone regurgitating what they ha ddone before, although Deicide suprised me, I never liked them , I even hated them upto now, and this album I absolutely truly love.
Only categories I didn't have trouble finding 10 good albums were in the epic/classic/melodic doom genre and the extreme doom genre.

So, now I want to know your thoughts
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.12.2006 - 06:17
Wo0dy
Account deleted
we lost a lot of musicians :\
07.12.2006 - 11:41
Vidrageon
Account deleted
It was decent, after the brilliance of 04/05 it was hard not to be a dissapointment, but there were some solid releases. 04/05 came out with albums that I instantly considered modern classics, this year, I can't say the same. Some great albums, but no classics.

And, as woody said, a lot of people popped themselves this year....and some accidents.
07.12.2006 - 11:57
Hyvaarin
It's been an awesome metal year for me.

Good
- Keep of Kalessin's "Armada". Fast, brutal, epic, beautiful. This is arguably what metal should be.
- Blind Guardian's "A Twist in the Myth". Not their best work, but still an awesome album.
- Edguy's "Rocket Ride". Fun, rockin' power metal, fulfilled all my expectations.
- Bought a whole heap of older albums that I really needed/wanted.
- Saw Opeth
- Saw Dark Tranquillity
- Saw Leaves' Eyes and Atrocity
- Saw Satyricon

Bad
- Didn't have enough money to buy everything I want .
- Norther's "Till Death Unites Us". Too many metalcorey riffs, crap lyrics, only a few of the awesome passages that make/made me love the band. The solos hold the album together.
- Wintersun's new album being postponed .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
07.12.2006 - 13:22
VenoM_BM
Account deleted
It was quite a bad year, nothing to great released, there were a few great albums like: Astral Doors - "Astralism", Beyond Fear - s/t, Wolf - "The Black Flame", Cloven Hoof - "Eye of the Sun", Place of Skulls - "The Black Is Never Far", Place of Skulls - "The Black Is Never Far", Pyramaze - "Legend of the Bone Carver", Eldritch - "Neighbourhel", but even these aren't all fabulous.

As far as bad albums there are loads of them, mostly from the so called great bands (won't give names like Iron Miaden or Queensryche) or just albums you've heard before (Motorhead, Rage, although not very bad, just nothing impressive).

As for me I can say it was a good year, again I got more albums from old school bands, discovered some new bands along the way (thanks Rico, metal-observer, metal-rules, and a few others). Saw a few good bands live, bought a few very hard to find DVD's and vinyls.
08.12.2006 - 00:00
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
This year was kinda hit/miss for me...probably more positive than negative

the BAD:

I looked forward to many releases by bands which I love but was disappointed to a great extent by some of them...for example..

1. Catamenia - Location : Cold

I was extremely excited about this band's album as i think all their albums were brilliant melodic black albums. I heard a couple of samples of songs on their site before realease and i was like "DAMN that sounds pretty frantic and awesome" but the album turned out to be extremely bland. As if they lost inspiration...the songs didnt flow as well, theyre not as fast and melodic and overal just didnt impress me.

Overall: 6/10

2. Dissection - Reinkaos

This was probably the biggest let down of the year. If there was any band i would have hoped for to release one final album after such an absense it would have been Dissection. Storm of the Light's Bane is still a masterpiece and probably paved the way and formed some sort of inspiration for many bands we listen to today so obviously the expectations for the new Dissection album was COLOSSAL. It, however, turned into a huge colossal tradgedy and it would have been better if the band just stayed dead and left us with their previous great works. Dissection turned into melodic death with a spring in it's step...and it was painfull to watch - probably so painful that the vocalist decided to kill himself, which I think is sad from a metal point of view (cozz he was awesome) but also pretty damn pathetic as i have no sympathy for fools who end their lives.

Overal: 5/10

3. In Flames - Come Clarity

Ok this album wasnt much of a train-smash according to me as I never thought it would be good anyway. But since Ive been an In Flames fan from the early days until around 2000 Ive curiously awaited every following release to see how much worse it is than its predecessor. Come Clarity, however abominable it may be, turned out to be a little bit better than STYE. Not QUITE as whiney as STYE and some songs actually have some metal in it and posess some nice riffage/melodies....

I think In Flames has finally thrown in the towel when it comes to calling themselves metal or creating metal music for that matter....as i think signing a deal with Ferrett in the US and getting all cozy with their 'core' buddies with their new Derek Hess shirts and album covers with its silly emo line-drawn people pulling their hearts out of their chests, it kinda shows the future that lies ahead for this band. At least this should finally give some closure to passionate old-In Flames fans that a sudden turn around in musical approach for this band are pretty much not gonna happen....but hey, to tell you the truth who cares? As one band goes down and loses its credibility theres always another new band who have a lot of passion for making good music....

Overall: 6/10

THE GOOD

Thankfully...as all things in life sort of go full-circle the same is true in metal. As some bands break your heart and sell you rubbish, there are always the ones who put their hands up to be noticed and who blow you away. Along with some trusty bands who have come a long way and never disappoint I also fell in love with some new bands (new for me anyway).

1. Keep of Kalessin - Armada

JEEBUS! This is a colossal album...for me the best of 2006 by quite a long shot. I had never known of this band before but read about them online and decided to check out their new album and it absolutely shreds! Sharp, Icy guitars that just cut right through you and takes the wind out of your sails. Agressive, technical and beautiful in a bit of an ugly way - as a former post states, this really is what metal should sound like. It really stands out head and shoulders above anything I have heard this year.

Overall - 10/10

2. Insomnium - Above the Weeping World

I was a bit sceptic about this album as a few weeks before release I read on their site that the music takes a "new and interesting development" - Theres few things that scare me more than one of my favorite bands fucking around with their style of play cozz I have been shocked and disappointed so many times by bands trying new things and then just completely balls it up.

My worried were in vain though, as Insomnium basically just released exactly that - an Insomnium album. Theres just something about their sound that makes it immediately recognisable without being all that similar to previous albums. It is probably not quite as strong as the first two albums but I hold those albums in the highest regard so it would have been difficult for them to bring something out that is quite at that level if you ask me. Still its a killer of an album, these dudes know how to write some fantastic and diverse songs and as always, awesome lyrics just to top it all off.

Overall: 9/10

Kalmah - The Black Waltz

Kalmah has been my favorite melodic death bands for a number of years now...Swamplord and Swampsong both rank in my top 10 fav albums of all time and I was soooo excited about "The Black Waltz". The first thing that kinda struck me was the change in vocals....

On all their previous albums they made use of a more black metalish raspy screetch type vocals and every now and then it would be alternated with a deeper growl - all in all giving a great variety in the vocal approaches on each album. On the "The Black Waltz' (TBW), that secondary vocal approach became the mainstay throughout the album and I can only recall once or twice that the more screetching vocals were used - a pity because I think the vocals on the older albums fitted much better to their sound.

In many ways their sound also changed a bit...it isnt quite as melodic or as fast as they used to be and overall they seemed to have slowed down a little bit. I cant really put my finger on it but it doesnt sound like the Kalmah of old. Having said that I still rate this album very highly, eventhough it seems to become a little boring at times. Fantastic songs like "Groan of the Wind", "To the Gallows" and "One from the Stands" are stellar and some of the best songs done by this amazing band..

Overall - 8.5/10

Tyr - Ragnarok

I dont know where Ive been but I only discovered this band existed like a month or so ago....and they RULE! I guess i dont have too much to say as Im not all that familiar with them yet and cant really form an informed opinion about them yet but all i know is that 'Ragnarok' is a really fuckin cool album. The fact that they play a different kind of folk metal is also quite refreshing as they approach their music in a different way to other folky/viking metal bands...super stuff!

Overall - 8.5/10

thats it for now....definitely more to come later but i gotta go now
08.12.2006 - 00:09
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
i can't really comment. im not the kind of person who reads terrorizer to see what gets high ratings and then order it. there have been some fantastic albums this year (converge, axis of advance, ministry) and there have been some dissapointments (the overhyped amesouers and peste noire).

ive only heard 2 tracks in total of the three release made by nuit noire this year but it sounds pretty good so looking forward to that (i just ordered the two 7"s and album).

but no, can't really comment on the year as a whole. i haven't heard enough stuff.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.12.2006 - 00:38
Southern Wind
Account deleted
the good:
Wolves In The Throne Room, Bloodthorn, Echo Of Dalriada, 324 (I'm loving those little sick japs), Carpathian Forest (as always)

dissapointments:
Melechesh, Bitterdusk, Cradle Of Filth, Aborym

overrated:
AGALLOCH (don't know why that album makes me sick), Xasthur (don't understand the buzz with that band when all they do is recycling old material... everytime Xasthur comes out with a new album everyone is like oooooh!, uuuuuh!, amaaaazing!, kvvvvvvlt!!!! while it sounds exactly the same than everything before....)
08.12.2006 - 01:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.12.2006 at 00:38

the good:
Wolves In The Throne Room, Bloodthorn, Echo Of Dalriada, 324 (I'm loving those little sick japs), Carpathian Forest (as always)

Did you get Epho Of dalrida new album? hwo it sounds?
Hope so good like old ones

Well hahah remeber old forum where was best of 2005 in black/doom and ...... other metal, hope someone open it this year to
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.12.2006 - 01:33
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 08.12.2006 at 01:25

the good:

Well hahah remeber old forum where was best of 2005 in black/doom and ...... other metal, hope someone open it this year to

It's even better than Férgeteg... this band is the best Folk Metal on earth, and their new album is their masterpiece... if you want I can upload it for you and send you a link...
08.12.2006 - 01:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.12.2006 at 01:33

Written by Bad English on 08.12.2006 at 01:25

the good:

It's even better than Férgeteg... this band is the best Folk Metal on earth, and their new album is their masterpiece... if you want I can upload it for you and send you a link...

hahaha I see if its better then and well you probobly remebe rmy best folk bands
But man if you ewer will get Beltine - ''Bohemian Winter'' its best folk band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.12.2006 - 02:48
Bitch Boy
2006 gave 3 great albums: Rhapsody of Fire "Triumph or agony", DragonForce "Inhuman Rampage" and the debut of Luca Turilli's Dreamquest with "Lost Horizons".

It's good that Edenbridge's evolved into something more progressive in "The gran design" but I think that they weren't able to do something better than the previous one, "Shine".

Iron Maiden's "A matter of life and death" wasn't that bad but I think that the band is losing strenght (maybe due to their age?).

Theatre of Tragedy's "Storm" was something I expected, not such a big thing, but the band didn't lose quality with Nell, the band losed its quality many years ago.

The Gathering's "Home" was an average album, same with Lacuna Coil's "Karmacode", Tool's "10000 days", Evergrey's "Monday morning apocalypse".

Gorgoroth's "Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam" was really disappointing, I expected something much better.
08.12.2006 - 03:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well, 2006 has been an awesome year for death metal, but I guess not so good for other genres. Lucky for me, death metal is my favorite

This is kinda now the third thread for this type of deal so I don't really feel like going in depth again, but I'll just say that Suffocation, Goatwhore, Vader, Napalm Death, Deicide, and Vader all made my nuts black and blue. However, the new Black Label Society wasn't too good. His voice changed a wee bit and it kinda lacked aggression. All of the other not so good cd's that were released this year I expected to be bad, so I wasn't too disappointed. Some examples are the new Tool, Iron Maiden, Cradle of Filth, etc. 10,000 was so bad though....like....I was too bored to fall asleep during it. The first two tracks were pretty good, but the rest were boring as hell.
08.12.2006 - 05:00
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
It was Ok I guess, We got Some new Maiden, New Priest, New Shadows Fall, New Dream Evil, And Some New Into Eternity. I'm not complaining.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.12.2006 - 05:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Arian Totalis on 08.12.2006 at 05:00

It was Ok I guess, We got Some new Maiden, New Priest, New Shadows Fall, New Dream Evil, And Some New Into Eternity. I'm not complaining.

New Priest? What new Priest? All I remember is a Priest last year and nothing this year.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2006 - 08:16
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@The Ozman: I probably got the years confused, I don't really pay attention to that really, I was just speaking off the top of my head.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
08.12.2006 - 09:47
Winter Death
Account deleted
It has already been mentioned, but death metal was the highlight of this year. Deicide, Suffocation, Decapitated, Vader, and Amon Amarth all put out great shit. I am also really feeling the New one from Blind Guardian as well.

The true question is not whether 2006 was good or not, the question is: are we going to be having Metal Storm awards this year?
08.12.2006 - 10:33
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
This year was full of disappointments AND pleasant surprises. Many bands that I'm familiar with released albums that were mediocre or just plain crappy. Albums that I was waiting for let me down (generally). However, I discovered several new bands that really blew me away. Let's hope they survive until next year and spare me the let-downs!

Some great surprises so far have been:

Bloodbound
Beautiful Sin
Benedictum
To-Mera

Some expected released that did NOT disappoint me were:

Leaves' Eyes - Legend Land
Blind Guardian - Twist in the Myth (duh )
Edenbridge - The Grand Design

Disappointments:

Andromeda - Chimera
Elvenking - Winter Wake
Evergrey - Monday Morning...

Well it's December and I still have SO many albums left to hear. I'd better go do that...........
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.12.2006 - 15:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Pretty good year IMO. There has been a lot of great concerts here in Sweden this year (Children of Bodom - Stockholm Knockout Live, In Flames, Arch Enemy, The Unholy Alliance Chapter II - Preaching to the Perverted, Cradle of Filth, Satyricon, Edguy, Iron Maiden and DragonForce), and it seems to continue that way next year.
The albums then. Seems like a lot of great Death metal albums came this year, Deicide's album seems extra interesting. Norther released the great Till Death Unites Us, Iron Maiden did it again with A Matter of Life and Death, Children of Bodom did a great job with Chaos Ridden Years | Stockholm Knockout Live, same with Nightwish and their End of an Era, I did enjoy Thornography by Cradle of Filth and Sepultura's Dante XXI is one of the best albums I own! Evergrey's and In Flames releases though are not much to talk about.
But 2006 is not over for me! There is one more album I gotta get: Celtic Frost's Monotheist, I want so much!!!
----
08.12.2006 - 16:08
Basso
Account deleted
Album wise there hasent been to many strong releases this year... the only "new" albums I bough was Slayer - Christ Illusion (wich is a great album, but nothing compared to old ofcourse...) and Deicide - Stench of Redemtion.

Stench of redemtion is fucking insane, so catchy , with such amazing solos and aagh, its just insane.

I cant say to much overall how this year was, except DONT MISS OUT DEICIDE'S LATEST ALBUM..
08.12.2006 - 16:12
Warman
Erotic Stains
OMG! I totally forgot the amazing Christ Illusion! That really is one of the best releases this year, Slayer is always great IMO but with this album they prooved that they still are one of the gods of Thrash and metal!
----
08.12.2006 - 16:14
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
isn't there going to be polls for best album of each genre like the last 2 years?
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
08.12.2006 - 16:21
Basso
Account deleted
Written by -tom- on 08.12.2006 at 16:14

isn't there going to be polls for best album of each genre like the last 2 years?

Hope so, would be intressting to se what releases pop up.
08.12.2006 - 17:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 08.12.2006 at 16:21

Written by -tom- on 08.12.2006 at 16:14

Hope so, would be intressting to se what releases pop up.

yes there will be polls for different genres, just like last year.
Btw, we're already working on it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2006 - 17:54
wrathchild
Staff
I also don't think this year was excellent regarding the quality of the major releases, but I think on the other hand, Metal has "gained" some land here and there. Lordi's victory at the Eurovision may be a sign...

I also think that those new albums may not be better, but different. If I take the new blind Guardian, or better, the new Angra, it's quite obvious. This year's real interest can also be seen in the rise of smaller and unknown bands/projects. I had the chance to review Soulitude and SpiRitual, which are way better than many releases from more "famous" bands, for instance.
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
08.12.2006 - 17:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
Ah great, I was also wondering about that poll. Wonder if In Flames will win the Biggest letdown award again, I know that at least I'll vote for them
----
08.12.2006 - 18:01
Lupas
Maximus
Well for sure 2005 was a year full or maybe packed with new albums . This year was a really calm or normal year. Not so many good albums till the end of this year . Many new bands like To-Mera , OutWOrld that conclude this year in a good mode:)
Also this year i have found many new bands like Stream of Passion, Unshine, Season's End and many more.
i hope that 2007 will be better than this year. I also hope that my best metal band Nightwish , will relase at least a verse from thier new album
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
08.12.2006 - 18:31
SteTech
2006 was the year I actually gained a passion for extreme metal i.e. death, black and most recently thrash. I;ve been to quite a few awesome gigs as well

The Good:
Blind Guardian - Twist In The Myth
I - Between Two Worlds
Insomnium - Above The Weeping World
Zyklon - Disintegrate
Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis

And The Bad:
Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life And Death (This album's slowly growing on me, but it still dissapointed me)
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical (I was hooked on KING but the rest of the album's bollocks!)
Norther - Til Death Do Us Part (Following in the footsteps of CoB now is not such a good idea)
The Haunted - The Dead Eye (It's OK, but I expected better)
08.12.2006 - 20:32
ASiema113
This year's conclusion to metal who have to be 50/50 to me.

The Good: I would have to agree with some of the previous posts and say Armada IMO is the best release of 2006 in terms of metal, and Vader's (Impressions In Blood) would be my second pick.

The Bad: To me I didn't feel that too many bands let me down(Although Dissection would be a good example) but what kind of metal is getting all the recognition.

The Ugly: While I do know the majority of people are not into the extreme genre's I just feel that too many people are into more melodic music & are really cocky about it(Ex. Dragonforce, Trivium, etc.) But everyone is entitled to act as they want(In the U.S. anyway) I guess I'm just sick of such lame, boring music (IMO).

So in other words if it wasn't for Death/Black Metal I would myself

Hail Death Metal & Black Metal
----

Written by Guest on 18.01.2008 at 09:05

People are always at their very best when they're dead.
08.12.2006 - 21:14
Trifixion
Account deleted
As far as I'm concerned it was a pretty good year, then again I really didn't get that many new albums at all. But I liked what I did get. New Slayer and Maiden were both pretty cool. I liked new Lamb of God as well, but my favorite album of the year is hands down The Stench Of Redemption. Not a big Sodom fan but they're new album was good as well. I didn't hear all of Darkthrone's latest but I'll pass (that did come out this year didn't it? >_>) I was looking foward to the new Mayhem that wasoriginally set for October but no such luck. All in all I was pleased with what I did get this year.