Metal Storm logo
Cricket

Original post

Posted by Valar, 19.05.2006 - 17:01
Glad to open a Cricket Thread the most followed and worshipped game in the Indian Subcontinent though i am pessimistic this thread will get many patrons
Updating India Won Vs The West Indies in West Indies it was the first match of the ongoing 5 match ODI series and will be followed by the test series.
Also Sri lanka Drew ther match with England as England dropped 9 catches and dropped the opportunity to go 1-0 up in the test series.
30.07.2009 - 13:21
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2009 at 16:21

Written by Guest on 09.06.2009 at 21:20

Be prepared to be whitewashed by the Aussies.

Ashes. 1 - 0.

The test today should end up a draw. It'll be rained off alot of the time. Infact, i'm about 95% sure it'll end up a draw. Both sides have struggled to ball well without swing (particularly England at Cardiff) and both sides (Particularly Australia) have long batting line-ups. There wont be enough time to ball each other out over two innings.
30.07.2009 - 13:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 30.07.2009 at 13:21

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.06.2009 at 16:21

Written by Guest on 09.06.2009 at 21:20

Be prepared to be whitewashed by the Aussies.

Ashes. 1 - 0.

The test today should end up a draw. It'll be rained off alot of the time. Infact, i'm about 95% sure it'll end up a draw. Both sides have struggled to ball well without swing (particularly England at Cardiff) and both sides (Particularly Australia) have long batting line-ups. There wont be enough time to ball each other out over two innings.

Start already delayed by more than an hour. And with the forecasts ahead it will most probably end up in a draw like you said.
As for the score it of course should have been 1-1 by now cause england of course had a lucky escape in the first test and Australia were for the first time, since I don't know when, on the wrong end of a lot of decisions in the second test.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2009 - 01:32
kesh
Account deleted
The Great Escape. If they can't ball you out then that's that. Plus Flintoff's spell of balling on the final day at Lord's was great to watch, balling at it's best. Sure there was some umpiring inconsistency's, after you've watched the replays over and over and over again, you've gotta have some sympathy for Australia and the umpires. That Collingwood edge that wasn't; how the hell can you call that right? North even thought he was out, he walked. The two were-they-weren't-they catches... ok, that wasn't right maybe.

Been an interesting series really, it makes you realise just how good the Aussies had it all through the 90's. Every player nearly was world class. Even when McGrath starting to lose his pace, his line and length were perfect, you just couldn't bat against him. Pitching those balls up just off off-stump at a height between shoulder and stomach. There's alot of issues with both teams in this Ashes test, which is kinda intriguing in it own way. Can't believe they've brought the Sherminator in! Replaced Thorpe too early (the man still had it) in the 2005 series as this batting prodigy and his going to expose our middle order. What's happened to Bopara, i don't know.... and i'm sure Pontings got a monster innings in him on it's way.
31.07.2009 - 12:05
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.07.2009 at 01:32

If they can't ball you out then that's that. Plus Flintoff's spell of balling...

Maybe I missed something but when did the verb "to bowl" become "to ball"?

I know of the verb "to ball" but that means the same as "to fuck"

I wonder how the current test will turn out especially since the Edgbaston curse struck again, now fucking with Haddin wheere four years ago it fucked with McGrath.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.07.2009 - 16:22
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Some absolutely brilliant bowling by Anderson and Onions today.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2009 - 22:38
kesh
Account deleted
Quote:

Damn English teacher, innit Your taking the mickey out of a disability I hope you know.

My English sucking aside, what a turn around. Was at work so haven't seen today's play, going to watch the highlights, but if England can get a good total there's a chance we could even win this.

Swing bowling (actually wrote balling and deleted it). No one can bat against it. Look at Pakistan in the 20/20 against Anderson. Never that good with swing myself, but if England phoned me and asked me to have an over or two, i'd do better then Broad has.
01.08.2009 - 22:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 01.08.2009 at 22:38

Quote:

Damn English teacher, innit Your taking the mickey out of a disability I hope you know.

My English sucking aside, what a turn around. Was at work so haven't seen today's play, going to watch the highlights, but if England can get a good total there's a chance we could even win this.

Swing bowling (actually wrote balling and deleted it). No one can bat against it. Look at Pakistan in the 20/20 against Anderson. Never that good with swing myself, but if England phoned me and asked me to have an over or two, i'd do better then Broad has.

Unfortunately no play today due to excessive rain
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.08.2009 - 23:33
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
As Shane Warne said on tv today - they should play cricket in the summer

It's a shame about the weather - this could have been a good match.
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
01.08.2009 - 23:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 01.08.2009 at 23:33

I am atually glad with the current weather Now it is almost impossibel for Australia to lose this match.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2009 - 12:31
kesh
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.08.2009 at 23:37

I am atually glad with the current weather Now it is almost impossibel for Australia to lose this match.

Suppose the Aussie's gave the Dutch there best bowler. You'll have to join the cue for nationalities routing for the team against England, though.

At least the test has highlighted what a fine bowler Onions is. Broad for Harmison next test.
03.08.2009 - 13:01
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 03.08.2009 at 12:31

Suppose the Aussie's gave the Dutch there best bowler. You'll have to join the cue for nationalities routing for the team against England, though.

At least the test has highlighted what a fine bowler Onions is. Broad for Harmison next test.

I have been routing for Australia ever since I started playing cricket all the way back in 1979. So when Australia were crap
Harmison wasn't he the guy the bowled that enormous wide first ball of the Ashes in 2007?
Gotta agree with you Onions is a good bowler. Never been a fan of Broad though. He is decent abnd all but no potential matchwinner (whereas Harmison is when he gets it right)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.08.2009 - 22:56
kesh
Account deleted
Everyone has a wild warm-up ball from time to time. Maybe not that wild though.

Gotta go with what Warne was saying. There both pretty equal sides and it could all depend on which team is lucky enough to get the ball swinging. Freddie not getting a wicket and our bowlers only managing 3 wickets today without swing wasn't what we needed to see. Then again there bowling isn't that great neither. I like Swann, hope he gets a good spinning bouncy pitch this weekend. The worry is if they bowl Stauss out early and we have a famous batting clasp without a KP there in the middle order. Just hope Hussey doesnt find his 87 average form again.
04.08.2009 - 15:48
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.08.2009 at 13:01

Written by Guest on 03.08.2009 at 12:31

I have been routing for Australia ever since I started playing cricket all the way back in 1979. So when Australia were crap
Harmison wasn't he the guy the bowled that enormous wide first ball of the Ashes in 2007?
Gotta agree with you Onions is a good bowler. Never been a fan of Broad though. He is decent abnd all but no potential matchwinner (whereas Harmison is when he gets it right)

Harmy's been bowling like a man possessed for Durham this season, he's definitely earnt a recall. England's selectors need to figure out what it is they want from Broad. Is he there to bowl or to bolster the batting? He's not doing a good job with the former (which is his primary trade), and he's definitely not good enough to play as a batsman out and out, so what is he still doing in the side?

So glad Australia pulled that off. Pretty pleased with how Hilfenhaus has stepped up to the plate this series. Siddle is an honest carpenter, but when Johnson starts firing again (he's on his way up hopefully) we'll really start testing the English batsmen. Bring on the 4th Test!
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
04.08.2009 - 15:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Crap the current weather forecasts for the Headingly test are worse than what the weather was at Edgbaston.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2009 - 16:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Judas on 04.08.2009 at 15:48

Harmy's been bowling like a man possessed for Durham this season, he's definitely earnt a recall. England's selectors need to figure out what it is they want from Broad. Is he there to bowl or to bolster the batting? He's not doing a good job with the former (which is his primary trade), and he's definitely not good enough to play as a batsman out and out, so what is he still doing in the side?

So glad Australia pulled that off. Pretty pleased with how Hilfenhaus has stepped up to the plate this series. Siddle is an honest carpenter, but when Johnson starts firing again (he's on his way up hopefully) we'll really start testing the English batsmen. Bring on the 4th Test!

True, he has been bowling well for Durham. But it seems he won't get a recall but Sidebottom instead read here: http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/current/story/417918.html
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

04.08.2009 - 18:32
kesh
Account deleted
Weather doesn't look that bad around Leeds. Fine Wednesday, rains Thursday night and then looks ok Friday & Saturday. Maybe the odd occasional shower here and there.

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.08.2009 at 16:02

Written by Judas on 04.08.2009 at 15:48

True, he has been bowling well for Durham. But it seems he won't get a recall but Sidebottom instead read here: http://www.cricinfo.com/engvaus2009/content/current/story/417918.html

Hilfenhaus has been a rock for the Aussies, consistently good all series. Now with Clark back in and Brett Lee likely to be included in the 5th test; Hilfenhaus, Clark, Hauritz, Lee and Johnson looks quite a formidable bowling attack if in form. Coupled with the batting depth it'll be squeaky bum time for England. Best hope is both tests are rained off!

I'll just plan to go somewhere, guaranteed to rain then.

Looks like Englands going for all out swing bowl attack if Sidebottoms included for Broad. Who seems to be picked exclusively as "one for the future" - well pick him in the future then! But if the worst happens and Flintoff is out or 60%, where's plan B if it doesn't swing? Sidebottoms got a good test average, but Harmison has already taken Aussie wickets in the warm-up's and he offers an alternative with his bounce if Flintoff isn't included. That could be it really, Harmison if Flintoffs out, Sidebottom if not. Trott' "has 831 first-class runs this season at an average of 83", so as long as he can transfer that into Test runs and doesn't do a Hicks, i'd be pretty confident he could do a better job with the bat then Flintoff. Who we'd rather see get his bowling right.
04.08.2009 - 18:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Harmison might generat some akward bounce as well with his weird bowling action.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.08.2009 - 20:55
kesh
Account deleted
There's a big band of rain near Leeds that might effect the first few days with a few showers, the main body of it is missing Headingley. So most of the match should be playable. Will be interesting to see how this effects the swing, or depending how much you think it effects swing anyway; there's a large low pressure moving north-eastwards away from the ground bringing in gradual high pressure as opposed to there been a low pressure system moving towards Headingley. It's a ground we're there's historically been swing and a result so suppose we might as well wait and see.
10.08.2009 - 22:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Damn, that was an extremely efficient display by the Australians.
This sets up for a corker at The Oval next week.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.08.2009 - 23:07
kesh
Account deleted
Unbelieveable.. not many results at the Oval this year, as it's not a good bowling surface. Could end up a draw, whether permitting.

With Englands batting i'd drop Bopara who's not playing with confidence and who's 3 centuries against the West Indies is looking more a combination of the Windies not really turning up when they played in England and a confident Bopara. Trescothick's said he'll play a one off, so he'd be my automatic choice for No.3 as his internationally proven and on fire at county level.
22.08.2009 - 23:41
kesh
Account deleted
Come on England!! Swanny's batting display--awesome. Just - need - 10 - wickets... i smell doom.
23.08.2009 - 18:51
kesh
Account deleted
Ashes winners England
24.08.2009 - 18:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Nice debut by Trott.

I am still baffled why Australia didn't play Hauritz. Imagine the damage he could have done (just by looking at North's parttime spin bowling and by Swann's bowling, Hauritz is a better bowler than Swann no doubt)
Also considering The Oval always takes a lot of spin. Now, trying to chase down a world record breaking 500+ in the fourth innings was of course always a total impossibility especially considering the higherst chased down fourth innings total for a test at The Oval was ONLY 260 odd.

Ah well, at least Australia losing the Ashes from time to time keeps it more interesting, just a shame that Ponting became the ONLY Australian captain EVER to lose The Ashes twice.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.08.2009 - 20:56
kesh
Account deleted
I'm sure i heard quoted that Ponting is the second Aussie captain to lose it twice in England.

I've enjoyed the series, going by stats the Aussies had us won in both batting and bowling stats, we just did it when it mattered; when Ponting/Hussey were at the crease though, i was getting kinda worried. Kinda strange why they didn't select Hauritz, he could of been key, though Trott was playing spin well, i know Siddle did well but i would of dropped him for certain to accommodate Hauritz - they had enough seamer's.

Trott'll be an automatic selection now and with KP to come back in, Collingwood could be out. He played well initially but it became quite obvious that the Aussies learned and knew how the ball to him. Think Rampracash(sp) should of been given a chance.

Just happy for my uncle really, he lives in Australia working for Rio Tinto and says the pommy bashing dies a death once England beat Australia in a major sporting event. He gets bragging rights, his been lucky: since been down there we've won 2 Ashes, RU world cup final in Australia and knocked them out of the last RU world cup after they'd given out a whole load of pre-match sledging. Just got hammered at the football.
29.08.2009 - 13:15
A cricket thread? On an american based metal forum? This is jizz in pants material!!! So glad the england won the ashes but sads that that series is over, it was a good one, and I'm stuck with NZ v Sri Lanka which is pretty boring, even for a kiwi. We might draw. Maybe.
----
VICTORY!!!!! (They love it in France)
29.08.2009 - 13:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Entropic Silence on 29.08.2009 at 13:15

A cricket thread? On an american based metal forum?

American based? since when?
Metal Storm is based in Estonia.
Btw cricket is played in Estonia by English expats and they host an ice cricket torunament every winter.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2009 - 13:37
I stand corrected. Foolishly I just assumed this was american. And Ice cricket has to be the most exciting thing I have heard all day.
----
29.08.2009 - 13:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Entropic Silence on 29.08.2009 at 13:37

I stand corrected. Foolishly I just assumed this was american. And Ice cricket has to be the most exciting thing I have heard all day.

I am still planning to go an participate in that tournament with my club someday.
We've already started asking around who wants to join. And the fun thing is that from the club some West Indians, Indians, Pakistani and Sri Lankans also want to play in that tournament.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.08.2009 - 13:56
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.08.2009 at 13:48

Written by Entropic Silence on 29.08.2009 at 13:37

I am still planning to go an participate in that tournament with my club someday.
We've already started asking around who wants to join. And the fun thing is that from the club some West Indians, Indians, Pakistani and Sri Lankans also want to play in that tournament.

I can't even visualise it man. It just sounds beyond amazing. I am taking up cricket again after a 7 year hiatus this summer and looking forward to it. The idea of cricket on ice steals my thunder a tiny bit.
----
29.08.2009 - 13:58
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Quote:
The idea of cricket on ice steals my thunder a tiny bit.

IMagine those lovely cover drives racing away on the ice to the boundary. Must be certain fours if placed right
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996