Metal Storm logo
Slayer - Drummer Officially Replaced

2013 has certainly been a rough year for Slayer. It began with Dave Lombardo being kicked off the band's Australian tour, with Kerry King and Tom Araya electing to replace him with Jon Dette for future shows. Mere weeks ago, we learned of Jeff Hanneman's tragic death. They say that bad things come in threes, and now the drummer issues have come to a head.

Slayer announced on their Facebook page that Dave Lombardo is officially being replaced. Paul Bostaph, a veteran of the band, and alumnus of Forbidden, Testament, and Exodus, will take Lombardo's place for the second time in his career. For ten years, from 1992 to 2001, Bostaph served as Slayer's drummer and recorded four albums with them: Divine Intervention, Undisputed Attitude, Diabolus In Musica, and God Hates Us All. He adds that he is "very excited to be rejoining Slayer," and it "feels like coming home."

In their statement, the band added that Gary Holt of Exodus will continue to fill in for the late Jeff Hanneman on their upcoming tour.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Slayer
Posted: 31.05.2013 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 37   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 455 users
31.05.2013 - 13:33
Joppe
Steelemeister
Dick move

No Lombardo = No Slayer.
----
My vision is augmented
31.05.2013 - 13:37
csiga
Munin
Fuck this shit...
----

i survived the lake bodom!
31.05.2013 - 13:41
Zap
I'd hoped they'd at least get Lombardo back after Jeff's death. That way I wouldn't mind them to keep on touring without making new music. Now it's just... meh... I don't care anymore for Slayer.
31.05.2013 - 14:08
Athropos
Burning inside
I don't like to see Lombardo being replaced by Bostaph, but Bostaph is a good drummer. So many people are grumbling but they'll still go to the gigs if they can...
31.05.2013 - 14:13
Wiillak
I don't fucking care for this band nevermore
31.05.2013 - 14:19
Sean 79
What is with the hate for Paul. Seen slayer countless times with him and Dave. Never been a shit show. Sure they have different styles but listen to God Hates Us All and Testament's The Formation of Damnation, and tell me he's a shit drummer. Plus he's been in slayer nearly as long as dave.
31.05.2013 - 14:29
Wiillak
Written by Sean 79 on 31.05.2013 at 14:19

What is with the hate for Paul. Seen slayer countless times with him and Dave. Never been a shit show. Sure they have different styles but listen to God Hates Us All and Testament's The Formation of Damnation, and tell me he's a shit drummer. Plus he's been in slayer nearly as long as dave.

Just listen how this shit played " Disciple" on the album and how Dave Played in Shows.that's really enough to comparison
31.05.2013 - 14:34
Sean 79
Written by Wiillak on 31.05.2013 at 14:29

Written by Sean 79 on 31.05.2013 at 14:19

Just listen how this shit played " Disciple" on the album and how Dave Played in Shows.that's really enough to comparison

Like i said, different styles! I never came away from a Slayer show thinking "That sucked"
31.05.2013 - 14:41
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
At least they had the common decency to get Paul Bostaph rather than anyone else, but there is still no excuse for kicking out Dave. It's not entirely half-Slayer now, since Paul was previously in the band, but it's still only five-eighths Slayer.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
31.05.2013 - 14:55
Sean 79
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 31.05.2013 at 14:41

At least they had the common decency to get Paul Bostaph rather than anyone else, but there is still no excuse for kicking out Dave. It's not entirely half-Slayer now, since Paul was previously in the band, but it's still only five-eighths Slayer.

That's a silly statement too. Just look at some your favourite bands and see how many of them have more than half their original line up. Did they turn to shit once members left?
31.05.2013 - 15:19
ScreamingSteelUS
Editor-in-Chief
Admin
Written by Sean 79 on 31.05.2013 at 14:55

Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 31.05.2013 at 14:41

That's a silly statement too. Just look at some your favourite bands and see how many of them have more than half their original line up. Did they turn to shit once members left?

I know that it is not uncommon for bands to replace members, but very few bands are as successful at Slayer in maintaining a mostly stable lineup for such a large part of their career, and that makes it more significant when they do change. With some bands I don't mind when they replace members, or I at least understand, but I don't think there is much room to move in this case. Especially coming so hot on the heels of Jeff's death, it seems like the band is just falling apart now. Even though they have replaced Dave before, it is clear that he is the best and most essential drummer they ever had, and all this drama seems pointless. As it happens, aside from "God Hates Us All," Slayer's non-Lombardo material was definitely subpar.

I will say that it is entirely up to the band (which, at this point, seems to constitute Tom and Kerry) whether or not they want to continue. I don't think this "No Jeff, no Dave, no Slayer" business is entirely fair because, as you say, bands go on without original members all the time. However, even if it is their prerogative to carry on the band with whatever lineup they want, it still won't be as good as it was with Jeff and Dave.
----
"Earth is small and I hate it" - Lum Invader

I'm the Agent of Steel.
31.05.2013 - 15:37
Sean 79
Written by ScreamingSteelUS on 31.05.2013 at 15:19

I know that it is not uncommon for bands to replace members, but very few bands are as successful at Slayer in maintaining a mostly stable lineup for such a large part of their career, and that makes it more significant when they do change. With some bands I don't mind when they replace members, or I at least understand, but I don't think there is much room to move in this case. Especially coming so hot on the heels of Jeff's death, it seems like the band is just falling apart now. Even though they have replaced Dave before, it is clear that he is the best and most essential drummer they ever had, and all this drama seems pointless. As it happens, aside from "God Hates Us All," Slayer's non-Lombardo material was definitely subpar.

I will say that it is entirely up to the band (which, at this point, seems to constitute Tom and Kerry) whether or not they want to continue. I don't think this "No Jeff, no Dave, no Slayer" business is entirely fair because, as you say, bands go on without original members all the time. However, even if it is their prerogative to carry on the band with whatever lineup they want, it still won't be as good as it was with Jeff and Dave.

Good post. Don't agree apart from Slayer's non-Lombardo material was definitely subpar (which is hardly down to Bostaph). Nice to get a decent response than the usual knuckle dragging "BOSTAPH SUCKS"
31.05.2013 - 15:38
Sangre Sani
Slayer is dead.
31.05.2013 - 16:45
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
This is really just starting to get ridiculous, in my opinion. Why even continue at this point? It's not as if Slayer haven't done a lot of great work already. (Most of) their discography is legendary, they have fans the world over, and are widely regarded as one of the most important bands in the history of metal. They've replaced their original drummer after just getting him back a few years ago, one of their founding guitarists just died, and they're still going on? To me at this point it kinda just seems like beating a dead horse. If anything, they should just wrap up this tour and then call it quits. It'd be a much better decision than continuing with new material, and I bet the majority of their fanbase would respect them more for doing so.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
31.05.2013 - 16:57
Tenski
All hail the mighty Slayer...
31.05.2013 - 17:21
qlacs
"The Quaker"
This is pure bullshit. After reuniting with Lombardo, now Sayler loses two of its original members. God please save Slayer... if you listen to it
----
31.05.2013 - 18:26
a MasT
Dra dra dra drama
31.05.2013 - 18:27
a MasT
Dra dra dra drama
31.05.2013 - 18:40
Bostaph is a great drummer and does appear on one of Slayer's best albums (God Hates us All), but I don't see how they'll be able to carry on long term without Jeff. I predict that they'll hang it up after fulfilling the upcoming tour dates.
31.05.2013 - 19:20
moe5512
Written by sentenced on 31.05.2013 at 18:53

Slayer without lombardo and hanneman ?
i cant even image

Probably pretty much the same...

C'mon people, it's not like the live shows will be any different, they play the same shit as before and same vocals. I have no doubt that any replacements can learn what their predecessors have played.
If they make a new album it will probably be mainly King and Araya that compose it.
31.05.2013 - 20:09
Vombatus
Potorro
He did play during 10 years before, and it's not like Slayer changed a lot since.

No big deal.
31.05.2013 - 20:26
Nemo Atkins
I normally don't like to comment on Slayer stuff (not usually interested in Slayer these days), but this is a seriously poor decision by whoever made it. Jeff dies and, less than a month later, Dave is completely removed from the band? Not exactly an encouraging message to send to the fans who probably wanted Dave to stay (and, let's be honest, that's probably most of Slayer's fanbase).

Although I will admit I do approve of Bostaph replacing Lombard since he is the only other drummer Slayer have had. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but it's better that someone with some connection to the band is chosen over anyone else.
31.05.2013 - 21:04
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Matt Edwards ‏@MattxEdwards79 16h

@TheDaveLombardo did you even hear from them or did you just read it online like the rest of us?
Expand
Retweet
Favorite

Dave Lombardo Dave Lombardo ‏@TheDaveLombardo 14h

@MattxEdwards79 Online.
Hide conversation

Retweet
Favorite

wowzers.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
31.05.2013 - 21:09
belphegor666
My wishes are granted....Paul eventually returned....I can't understand why people are blaming Paul...Bostaph is a super excellent drummer.... Hail Slayer
31.05.2013 - 21:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes, apparently Lombardo wasn't even informed of this decision. He says he found out online which is always good...

They don't even mention his name once on their statement either.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.05.2013 - 21:47
animal71
Yeah Paul has come home to Slayer. So be it.

The big fuckin question we are all gonna have to answer, who is gonna be the long term full-time replacement for the late Jeff Hanneman???????

31.05.2013 - 21:59
bblitz
Paul Bostaph is an amazing drummer.Surgical precision and strength are
best weapons in his arsenal.
31.05.2013 - 23:11
Mattybu
Fuck this shit man, it's the weirdest shit seeing this band fall apart and Bostaph is just like "I'm coming home", fuck disband already.
01.06.2013 - 04:34
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Mmm well i like his work with 90's slayer and forbidden. Is a good replacement for dave, but what about jeff's replacement?
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.06.2013 - 09:20
sbgmetal
Yes! Paul is back! if him n gary were to make an album with tom and king I think it b the shit n exactly the breath of fresh air slayer needs

Hits total: 6616 | This month: 14