Metal Storm logo
Extreme Doom Metal Battle: Drone Doom vs Funeral Doom Metal

Poll

Which sub-genre of extreme doom metal you prefer?

Funeral Doom Metal
Drone Doom Metal
fuck both, I do not like them

Total votes: 20
06.07.2013 - 16:10
mz
Two of the most underground and extreme sub genres of doom metal, drone and funeral, while not so similar musically ,managed to bring us crushing flow of emotions, hate and sadness. I personally have scratched the surface in these genres up to now but have some favorites in both: Esoteric, Ahab and shape of Despair in funeral doom and The Angelic Process, Hjarnidaudi and sunn o))) in drone doom metal. I was thinking the other day which one I prefer and also which one is more popular in underground metal communities. So I decided to make this poll.
I personally prefer drone doom metal : while funeral doom is highly structured and predictable most of the time, drone it is mostly free of solid structures and there is more space for innovative experiments. Also, drone music is usually more subtle and I like "subtlity"
So, here is the question: which one you prefer and why?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
06.07.2013 - 16:13
mz
I just understood how many ","s I've used in the first sentence
----
06.07.2013 - 16:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Both is misisng, :p
I prefere Funeral Doom Metal, I listen it more then drone, I rarely do listen drone, but i have nothing aganst
FD is much more to me, The Funeral Orchestra, Pantheist, Thergotton, Shape Of Disapear, Worship, Evoken, Ahab, Ataraxie, Shakab Matter, Wiljen Wij, Untill Death Overtakes Me and many many more bands, love of my life, so I vote for funeral
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.07.2013 - 20:49
mz
Written by Bad English on 06.07.2013 at 16:23

I prefere Funeral Doom Metal, I listen it more then drone, I rarely do listen drone, but i have nothing aganst
FD is much more to me, The Funeral Orchestra, Pantheist, Thergotton, Shape Of Disapear, Worship, Evoken, Ahab, Ataraxie, Shakab Matter, Wiljen Wij, Untill Death Overtakes Me and many many more bands, love of my life, so I vote for funeral

Just like my other poll (blut aus nord vs deathspell omega) I avoided including "both" option because most of the votes will probably go for it :p back :p
btw, what are some of your favorite drone bands?
----
06.07.2013 - 20:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mz on 06.07.2013 at 20:49

Written by Bad English on 06.07.2013 at 16:23

Just like my other poll (blut aus nord vs deathspell omega) I avoided including "both" option because most of the votes will probably go for it back
btw, what are some of your favorite drone bands?

I have no, Sun O))) others, Umba Nihil, I listen, but I dont follow
Such muisc is more solitude, sitting at home in dark room whit drink whisky, beer etc
hard to listen, more its to me like on the road on mp3 player

I like genre, but I dont follow much, when I find new good band at MA I listen all what is possible
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.07.2013 - 20:57
IronAngel
I wouldn't say all drone metal is drone doom metal, to be honest. The Angelic Process are undoubtedly drone(y), but there's very little doom about them. Then you have heavy, dirty riff monsters like Khanate whose drone, in my opinion, is squarely in the doom camp.

I'm not sure where to draw the line, though. Some drone is metal and some drone metal is drone doom, but it's hard to make clear distinctions. With that caveat in mind, I'll still vote drone. TAP, Menace Ruine, Nadja and Jesu are among my all-time favorites. Not that I don't love funeral too, it's somewhere behind epic and drone doom, on shared third place with more traditional death-doom.

Arena forum, maybe?
06.07.2013 - 21:21
mz
Written by IronAngel on 06.07.2013 at 20:57

I wouldn't say all drone metal is drone doom metal, to be honest. The Angelic Process are undoubtedly drone(y), but there's very little doom about them. Then you have heavy, dirty riff monsters like Khanate whose drone, in my opinion, is squarely in the doom camp.

I'm not sure where to draw the line, though. Some drone is metal and some drone metal is drone doom, but it's hard to make clear distinctions. With that caveat in mind, I'll still vote drone. TAP, Menace Ruine, Nadja and Jesu are among my all-time favorites. Not that I don't love funeral too, it's somewhere behind epic and drone doom, on shared third place with more traditional death-doom.

Arena forum, maybe?

well, I agree that not all drone metal is drone doom, take terra tenebrosa's debut for instance (which had some drones but is far from being doom) but regarding The Angelic Process, I think metal audiences in general consider them drone doom to the best of my knowledge and they actually sound doomy on my ears. Also,for khanate , I think they are more an extreme sludge doom band (on capture & release and Things Viral which I have listened ). For sure they have drones but they also borrow some elements from sludge.
The line between drone metal and drone doom metal is quiet thin, I agree. So I personally accept the opinion of majority here because, as I stated, I've only scratched the surface of drone doom and drone in general.
Also, thank you for pointing the wrong position of the poll, I fixed it
----
12.07.2013 - 23:57
mz
No more votes? no one likes me
----