Metal Storm logo
Occult / Legion of the Damned

28.12.2006 - 00:50
kackbratze
Hey guys!

I'm eager to know what you think about this band!

This year's album "Malevolent Rapture" of Legion of the Damned was hyped to heaven, but it IS really good. It seems that these thrashers from the Netherlands are a newcomer band, but they have existed for quite some years now. Until 2005 they were known under the name Occult and released 5 studio albums. At the beginning they played a mixture of black and thrash metal, but in the later releases you hear more death metal influences than black metal ones.

What makes this band kindof special is that they had a woman handling the growls and a man handling the shouts and shrieks. The woman has concentrated on her work in the death metal band Sinister since some years now. On the last Occult album only the man, Maurice, does the vocals and imho this was a good step. His voice had a chance to develop and it became just better and more varied. I really enjoy his vocals.

Because the fans didn't really accept Maurice, only as "the new singer", the band wanted a fresh start. Hence they renamed themselves into Legion of the Damned. Their debut sounds pretty much like the last Occult album, but that's no problem because it's awesome!

I really enjoy this album and I've already listened to the upcoming album "Sons of the Jackal" which will be released on January 5th 2007. It's almost as good as "Malevolent Rapture"!

I like this band a lot, especially their work in the new century. In the end this may only be good thrash metal to you because they aren't too original, but I recommend you to check them out, if you haven't already.

http://www.legionofthedamned.net
http://www.myspace.com/legionofthedamned

What do you think?
28.12.2006 - 11:53
Baz Anderson
Staff
ooh, i didnt actually know they were under another name before and have more albums..
i have the Legion Of The Damned album and it is quite good, it doesnt keep me wanting to go back and listen to it though, after a few listens i think it gets a bit flat
still good though, i will look out for their next album
28.12.2006 - 12:34
kackbratze
Written by Baz Anderson on 28.12.2006 at 11:53

it doesnt keep me wanting to go back and listen to it though, after a few listens i think it gets a bit flat

That's what I thought. They are nothing new, but imho do well what they do. You either like them or not. I must admit that their new album is a bit worse though (imho). But if you like "Malevolent Rapture", make sure to check out "Elegy of the Weak" which is pretty much the same style.
28.12.2006 - 15:40
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Great introduction to the band in the opening post, thanks

My friends set me half of the "Malevolent Rapture" album and I quite enjoy it. Now I know they've made alot of other albums under another band name i'll try and find these, with hopefully some luck i could find some.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
08.01.2007 - 15:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
its just been announced that Legion Of The Damned will support Kreator and Celtic Frost on their co-headlining tour this year..

i was going to see Kreator and Celtic Frost anyway but if these are going to be there its even more incentive to go
i saw live videos of them at Wacken and they didnt look too comfortable, but i am optimistic they will put on a good set
08.01.2007 - 16:54
Unicron
Account deleted
I saw them on Wacken and they totally blew me away. It was a great performance! I already knew their album at this time and really enjoyed it, but after their WOA show I enjoy it even more!
14.01.2007 - 22:08
Infurnace
Finally!! It was about time, they were added to Metalstorm. They are a great band. I wasn't quite familiar with them, but after I heard "Malevolent Rapture", I just wanted more!
23.02.2007 - 02:00
Amrott
i'm listening to Sons Of The Jackal right now and really enjoying it!!

i'm new to this band, only knew about them because they are supporting kreator, and man these guys are good!!

and if Malevolent Rapture is even better then that's awesome, i'm already into Sons Of The Jackal
23.02.2007 - 03:12
Basso
Account deleted
When theese guys performed at wacken it was pretty dull. But the vocals sounded really great. Somehow the vocals sounded really raw and pissed.
23.02.2007 - 03:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
When they were still called Occult they had Rachel Heyzer on vocals (yes she of Sinister and Infinited Hate)
If you look at the line-up of the last Occult album and the first to Legion of the Damned alums you'll see that the only difference is the band name.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 04:17
Southern Wind
Account deleted
really? they had Rachel on vocals??? I really like her growling, although the Sinister album in which she sang aren't really good.
23.02.2007 - 05:35
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 23.02.2007 at 04:17

really? they had Rachel on vocals??? I really like her growling, although the Sinister album in which she sang aren't really good.

Yes, they certainly had.

She sings on the following full-lengths:
The Enemy Within
Of Flesh and Blood
Rage to Revenge
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.02.2007 - 06:38
Richard
Elite
Yeah, and Rachel's vocals were more suited to Occult than to Sinister, IMO. It's an interesting twist in a way that the female vocalist did the deep vocals and the male vocalist did the high rasps, because people would probably naturally assume it to be the other way round, which kackbratze already said. The only albums I have are The Enemy Within and Of Flesh And Blood - the latter of which is slightly stronger IMO, and much catchier than the later stuff I've heard from them.
----
02.03.2007 - 20:56
kackbratze
It's good that the past with Rachel on vocals awakes interest in this band, but I have to say that Maurice imho does a much better job than Rachel. His vocals are really awesome, it's the best thing about the band, as Basse said, too. He can do both screams and growls very well.
04.03.2007 - 18:23
Infurnace
I've never actually heard any of Occult's albums, but LOTD's new album, "Sons Of The Jackal" is really great.
04.03.2007 - 19:00
Amrott
Written by Infurnace on 04.03.2007 at 18:23

I've never actually heard any of Occult's albums, but LOTD's new album, "Sons Of The Jackal" is really great.

same here,,, i've only heard Sons Of The Jackal and i'm really liking it!!
05.03.2007 - 23:32
kackbratze
Then do yourself the favour and check out "Malevolent Rapture" and "Elegy for the Weak" (the latter from Occult) which you are pretty much determined to like. It's pretty much the exact same sound and structure and just as awesome. CHECK IT OUT NOW!
02.09.2007 - 13:14
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
A video interview with Legion Of The Damned conducted by "Angel of Metal" at this year's Bloodstock Open Air festival can be viewed here.
02.09.2007 - 13:33
Amrott
man i'm glad they are re-releasing elegy for the weak as a LOTD album,, and Feel the Blade is an awesome track!!!
08.01.2008 - 10:38
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Next time I get the chance, I'm going to check out the Occult stuff, but after listening to all 3 of the releases under the Legion Of The Damned moniker, I'm underwhelmed. If I didn't have the tracklists in front of me, I'd be hard pressed to figure out which song came from which album. They all sound the same. On first listen, the band has lots of energy, but by the fourth track, I'm bored out of my mind and yearning for any music with variation in it to repair my brain from the lull of sleep it's in. Is Occult really worth checking out, then?

----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
08.01.2008 - 15:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Jason W. on 08.01.2008 at 10:38

Next time I get the chance, I'm going to check out the Occult stuff, but after listening to all 3 of the releases under the Legion Of The Damned moniker, I'm underwhelmed. If I didn't have the tracklists in front of me, I'd be hard pressed to figure out which song came from which album. They all sound the same. On first listen, the band has lots of energy, but by the fourth track, I'm bored out of my mind and yearning for any music with variation in it to repair my brain from the lull of sleep it's in. Is Occult really worth checking out, then?

The Legion Of The Damned album that has been released this month Feel the Blade is a reissue of the Elegy of the Weak CD, which was originally released by Occult. But they added 3 new songs.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.01.2008 - 19:20
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.01.2008 at 15:23

The Legion Of The Damned album that has been released this month Feel the Blade is a reissue of the Elegy of the Weak CD, which was originally released by Occult. But they added 3 new songs.

Well, I visited the Occult myspace page, and heard a few other songs from pre-2000 era, and I can't say I'm that intrigued either now. The vocals are almost the same oddly enough, though her style recycles different techniques than Maurice's. Really, though, it seems like they've been playing the same song for over 10 years now.

What was the reason for the name change, something law-related? Because they sure make it a point to not mention Occult on the LOTD website, and obviously the change wasn't for musical direction! I'd like to like them, but their lack of desire to take any chances with their songwriting just seems like a waste of recording time. Ahh well.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
10.02.2008 - 08:13
Bow To Cheese!!!
Account deleted
Just got Legion of the Damned's new album as an early birthday present, it's a classic imo , y'all should definetly get it. I think I already know what album i'm voting for in the thrash catagory next year haha, unless metallica surprises us all.
11.02.2008 - 20:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 10.02.2008 at 08:13

Just got Legion of the Damned's new album as an early birthday present, it's a classic imo , y'all should definetly get it. I think I already know what album i'm voting for in the thrash catagory next year haha, unless metallica surprises us all.

I don't think it will be nominated next year since it is a re-release of an old Occult album
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.02.2008 - 20:35
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
All I heard is the new/old album and it reminded me so much of Sodom that I had to check if I didnt accidentally play the wrong set of songs...
There is nothing wrong with being influenced by Sodom obviously but why listen to an emulation when you can just hear the real thing?
31.03.2009 - 04:15
Go Forth Or Die
Account deleted
I just recently finally decided to give the legion of the damned "sons of the jackal" cd a listen and its what really got me into them they are talented. as for occult i've never given them a listen but i'll give them ear sometime.
01.05.2009 - 06:31
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
I have both discographies.... LEgion holds up better than occult did. Although I will also say it feels a slight bit "Nu" in production styling their albums are still damn good.
----
19.11.2009 - 21:07
JD
Account deleted
Maurice Swinkels has another band called "Bestial Summoning" it's a black metal band.