Metal Storm logo
Goth/Doom/Atmospheric Recs

24.09.2013 - 21:12
chronic-headache

Been looking into Draconian, Virgin Black (requiem mezzo forte is pretty interesting from what Ive heard), and Evoken

big fan of Moonspell, My Dying Bride, Leave's Eyes (only heard meredead but I think it's truely amazing)

The more atmospheric imo, the better
24.09.2013 - 22:48
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Atmospheric? take a look at my list
http://www.metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=3101
28.09.2013 - 01:11
chronic-headache

Nice list. Some of the more neoclassical/Darkwave choices there really got me happy!
04.02.2014 - 18:20
demented_rocker

For in the face atmospheric doom you must listen to Shape of Despair, Their Angels of Distress is a badass album, also Draconian's Arcane Rain Fell is an essential album.
08.02.2014 - 14:36
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Check out Tristania's old releases (Widow's Weed, Beyond The Veil and World of Glass) if you haven't. Also Lacrimosa's entire opus, but I would point out Fassade and Shackal EP (imho Shackal is one of their darkest and most atmsopheric songs). Then also Theatre of Tragedy's earliest - from the eponymous album to Aegis. The Sins Of Thy Beloved's first album, Lake of Sorrow, was also good. Also Trail of Tears - A New Dimenison of Might. Sirenia's first two albums as well.

Also great atmospheric stuff come from Summoning - black metal though, but intensely atmospheric and just brilliant. Try out Stronghold, Oath Bound or their newest Old Mornings Dawn. You should also check Die Verbannten Kinder Evas, a darkwave project by Summoning. And the BM Draugnim and Lustre.

The Gathering' Mandylion is also an album with great atmosphere. In generally The Gathering's music really has it, but after Nighttime Birds they went to experimental rock and weren't metal anymore.

And not metal, but still: Sopor Aeternus's opus, L'ame Immortelle' Gezeiten (EBM band, but with Gezetiten they got a bit more organic and raw), Therion's Vovin (symphonic metal), Paradise Lost's Draconian Times, Anathema's Judgement, the entire opus by Persephone,.... Also bands worth checking: Katatonia, Poisonblack, Fields of Nephilim (Mourning Sun album),.... And oh, definately Dead Can Dance! Really intense and atmospheric music.

Theatres Des Vampires Moonlight Waltz has some good songs too, like Medousa for example, also Nightbreed of Macabria and Pleasure And Pain. The 69 Eyes - Wasting The Dawn also. Some songs from After Forever's Decipher as well (Instrincic, Imperfect Tenses, The Key). Not anywhere near, but Ayreon's song Beneath The Waves is also great, same as Valley of The Queens. But these are just songs, not the whole band's opus or albums are such.

I'm sure you'll find something you like. But I really recomment Tristania, Lacrimosa, Dead Can Dance and Summoning. And as you mentioned Leaves Eyes - I believe their debut, Lovelorn, was their finest work.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
08.02.2014 - 14:42
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
For start some examples:

----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
17.02.2014 - 21:06
demented_rocker

Anyone into atmospheric and Gothic doom must listen to Avrigus, they play really atmospheric doom heavily influenced by gothic imagery. If you can find their album "The Secret Kingdom" its a masterpiece.
04.03.2014 - 07:57
Gawain
Account deleted
Definitely give a listen to Estatic Fear and Saturnus's first and second album.
27.03.2014 - 10:45
wretchedrecords

Check out Doom:vs if you haven't already. It is the one-man project of Johan Ericson of Draconian. It's more death/doom than gothic though. I will be releasing his albums on vinyl later this year.

Right now I am releasing albums by When Nothing Remains, also featuring Johan Ericson. You would probably like them as well. Very atmospheric and gloomy.
27.03.2014 - 23:19
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Also, definately Enshine's Origin. Brrrrr, I get shivers down my spine just thinking about it.

----
29.03.2014 - 03:06
john_mcc

The 3rd And The Mortal - Tears Laid In Earth

18.08.2014 - 05:50
chronic-headache

One year bumpp
loving all these over the past year, but something about the impending autumn season just makes me love goth/doom metal
17.04.2015 - 02:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Bad English on 17.04.2015 at 02:31

http://doom-metal.com/news.php?entry=1888

read it

No. I haven't visited that totally crappy site in a long loing long time. And I want to keep it that way.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.04.2015 - 02:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.04.2015 at 02:34

Written by Bad English on 17.04.2015 at 02:31

http://doom-metal.com/news.php?entry=1888

read it

No. I haven't visited that totally crappy site in a long loing long time. And I want to keep it that way.

why?
BTW I want that post was removed. I make mistake

and I did not visit it like 5 years and re found it some months ago
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
22.02.2024 - 20:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Some lost jewel from Portugal, still OK quality even 90's demo., Enjoyable

Dark Tales - Venit Angelus Mortis(Full Demo) 1998

----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing