Arch Enemy - War Eternal

7.9 | 558 votes |
Release date: 9 June 2014
Style: Gothenburg metal

Owners:

431 have it
54 want it

Disc I
01. Tempore Nihil Sanat (Prelude In F Minor)
02. Never Forgive, Never Forget
03. War Eternal
04. As The Pages Burn
05. No More Regrets
06. You Will Know My Name
07. Graveyard Of Dreams
08. Stolen Life
09. Time Is Black
10. On And On
11. Avalanche
12. Down To Nothing
13. Not Long For This World
14. Shadow On The Wall [Mike Oldfield cover] [bonus]
15. Breaking The Law [Judas Priest cover] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Seeds Of War - The Demos]
01. Never Forgive, Never Forget [demo]
02. No More Regrets [demo]
03. You Will Know My Name [demo]
04. On And On [demo]
05. As The Pages Turn [demo]

Disc III [Instrumental]
01. Never Forgive, Never Forget [instrumental version]
02. War Eternal [instrumental version]
03. As The Pages Burn [instrumental version]
04. No More Regrets [instrumental version]
05. You Will Know My Name [instrumental version]
06. Stolen Life [instrumental version]
07. Time Is Black [instrumental version]
08. On And On [instrumental version]
09. Avalanche [instrumental version]
10. Down To Nothing [instrumental version]

Line-up
Alissa White-Gluz - vocals
Michael Amott - guitars
Nick Cordle - guitars, additional keyboards
Daniel Erlandsson - drums, additional keyboards
Sharlee D'Angelo - bass

Additional musicians:
Per Wiberg - mellotron
Ulf Janson - additional keyboards, additional programming

Stockholm Session Strings conducted by Ulf Janson and Henrik Janson.

Additional info
Produced by Michael Amott and Arch Enemy.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studio.
The bonus track "Shadow On The Wall" is a Mike Oldfield cover, only featured in Media Book or 3CD Artbook Version.
A Judas Priest cover "Breaking The Law" is featured in Japanese Limited Version that also has a bonus DVD contains 2 music videos.
The Deluxe 3CD Artbook Version is limited to 2.500 hand-numbered copies, including extended booklet, guitar tabs.

Staff review by
Ag Fox
Rating:
Ah? Arch Enemy - the love-it or hate-it band since having a female vocalist who growls. Regardless, most casual listeners of the band would agree that Khaos Legions was one of those forgettable releases that they won't mind putting behind.

Now that Angela Gossow has retreated to the side lines, the band has a chance to start afresh with Alissa White-Gluz. Personally, I usually had no problem with the vocals of Angela, and Alissa sounds like the perfect replacement. Instead, what matters is that the overall aggression and energy is back, so either the band has listened to its critics or Alissa has reinvigorated the sound of the band. The melodies and riffs sound less stale, the cascading solos are quite impressive and the music in general is definitely more head-bangable.

Read more ››
published 17.06.2014 | Comments (42)

Found in 47 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 51   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1477 users
04.03.2014 - 23:05
Yep. Super psyched to see this.
05.03.2014 - 00:15
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I'm actually pretty interested to see if this doesn't suck.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.03.2014 - 00:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 05.03.2014 at 00:15

I'm actually pretty interested to see if this doesn't suck.

I'm also curious as when Arch Enemy aren't bad they're actually pretty enjoyable. The last two albums are just a big "no" though.
05.03.2014 - 18:07
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by deadone on 05.03.2014 at 01:00

Last one (Khaos Legions) wasn't too bad. Starts off weak but gets stronger IMO.

So I'm looking forward to this one.

I re-evaluated that album quite recently, and whilst it wasn't quite as poor as I had initially thought, overall I still found it to be a weak album, and quite a distance behind their best works quality wise. It does have a couple of great songs on it though.

As for this new album, I am interested in giving it a listen, as Mike Amott is capable of writing awesome melodic death metal. It's just a shame he hasn't done much of that in recent years...
05.03.2014 - 18:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.03.2014 at 18:07

I re-evaluated that album quite recently, and whilst it wasn't quite as poor as I had initially thought, overall I still found it to be a weak album, and quite a distance behind their best works quality wise. It does have a couple of great songs on it though.

As for this new album, I am interested in giving it a listen, as Mike Amott is capable of writing awesome melodic death metal. It's just a shame he hasn't done much of that in recent years...

I thought about revisiting it but I know I'll just be greeted with a mass oversaturation of sickly melodic leads and solos. I love melody, when it's tastefully combined with meatier, metal riffs. Something which the last two have been missing,
05.03.2014 - 18:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Guest on 05.03.2014 at 18:13
I thought about revisiting it but I know I'll just be greeted with a mass oversaturation of sickly melodic leads and solos. I love melody, when it's tastefully combined with meatier, metal riffs. Something which the last two have been missing,

Well, mostly, that is what will greet you... lol I did find a couple of songs to stand out from the mire, which were actually very enjoyable. Overall though, it is a forgettable album. When Mike Amott is on top of his game, he is a master of welding melody with amazing metal riffs, he's just lost his way in recent years, for what reason I don't know. I can only hope he has rediscovered his talent for writing great melodic death metal on this new album, but my expectations are low for sure. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised with it.
05.03.2014 - 19:55
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Angelic Storm on 05.03.2014 at 18:26

Written by Guest on 05.03.2014 at 18:13

he's just lost his way in recent years, for what reason I don't know.

I'm not sure but from malicious source I came to know that Amott and Gossow use to make out in vanity vans. Probably, that's the only reason AE early records were great.
18.03.2014 - 15:25
andyschultz
RELEASE DATE IS MY BIRTHDAY FUCK YEAH!!!
19.04.2014 - 06:30
Jerm666
Can't wait!! Alissa is gonna be a great addition! Best wishes for Angela. Best wishes for the Agonist. Excellent choice for Arch Enemy. Hopefully they tour the shit outta the US
16.05.2014 - 10:33
annodomini
Wow, it leaked really early. I never was a fan of Arch enemy, but this album is really great. I love the melodies and guitar work in this labum. Favorite song so far: As the pages burn.
----
the riddle wants to be...
16.05.2014 - 11:57
Silent Jay
It's leaked. I tried to hold out and wait until release... but less than a minute later I had already found myself downloading and cueing up. Fuck balls.

Only 3 tracks in, with the third being obviously the title track we've already heard, but already I like the album more than the last couple at the very least. I might post a more thoughtful opinion later once I've listened to the whole thing.
16.05.2014 - 16:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty inoffensive album. I wouldn't say it's especially good but it is probably better than the last two albums. The title track is pleasingly catchy, 'Down to Nothing' has some nice shredding and suits what's her name's voice and 'Time Is Black' has some genuinely good songwriting and towers above the other tracks. Don't like the production at all though, needs organic-ing up. Probably not something I'll ever listen to again though.
17.05.2014 - 11:32
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Just finished listening to it, and it's not as bad as I was expecting, but it's still far off from their best works in terms of quality. It's probably better than "Khaos Legions", but I don't think I'd put it above any of their other albums. The vocals are a weak spot, although they sound better on some songs than on others. But overall, they lack any real authority, or punch, although not enough to ruin any enjoyment I have of the album. Very few tracks stand out, although "No More Regrets" is a pure power metal song with growls on it. And I think that is their first song which totally fits the power metal mold. "Down To Nothing" on the other hand, is musically amazing, mixing elements of Kreator and Carcass to create some truly devastating riffage.

As a whole, whilst it might be a bit more consistent than the last album, it's closer to that album in terms of overall quality, than any of their other efforts. The truly great moments are few and far between, whilst the thin vocals and the sterile production only serve to drag the album down instead of helping to elevate it. AE have never made a truly terrible album, and this one certainly doesn't subvert that trend. But I think anyone hoping for a return to the likes of "Wages Of Sin", or the Johan Liiva era-material (quality-wise), is going to be sorely disappointed.
19.05.2014 - 04:06
EnigmaLake
Great album, the guitar work seems more inspired, this band has yet to disappoint me. Has what you'd expect in some aspects as well as nice touches of experimentation and a re-focused attention towards introspective lyrics. Been a fan of this band since Black Earth and of Alissa since The Tempest (or whatever they were called). Was looking forward to this and to me it delivered from the times (4) I've listened to it.
19.05.2014 - 17:43
kalmah999
Account deleted
I listened this album 4 times now, have to say, big improvement from the Khaos Legions and Rise of The Tyrant, I liked some songs on from RoTT album but album was just ok for me and Khaos was disappointment.... I love Alissa on vocals but I don't like production. I know many fans are like Alissa is not good as Angela etc. but for me Angela just sounded exausted somehow and boring on last two albums, especially on Khaos Legions and I love some stuff from RoTT. Ofc Angela is great vocalist in my opinion but maybe leaving band as vocalist and staying as band manager was ok option. Band sounds little bit fresh now sry for bad English
23.05.2014 - 11:24
Rating: 8
schlakt
Fucking great album, was never a big fan of arch enemy before, but this effort changed my mind of them.
24.05.2014 - 14:45
Rating: 7
raveneffect
Never was a big fan of Arch Enemy, but I found this one to be an enjoyable 7. Still has some 'Core influences and it sounds a lot like Carcass and old In Flames in some bits (obvious reasons) but these moments dont anoy me that much. Title track is a cool song
27.05.2014 - 15:18
Rating: 9
Xyanade
Damn, after a week, now I can't hold to get the leaked one... Well have to say they will win new fanbase while not losing the old, if you have been, and still part of it though disappointed with last few. And it's quite interesting to compare Angela and Alissa's voice thru the demo disc.
30.05.2014 - 13:19
neonxaos
I've been listening a lot to the three singles, and they all sound better than anything on KL. I'm a fan and probably biased, but this is some of the best stuff they've done in ages. It may be death metal pop, but I love it and can't wait to see them live at Copenhell.
05.06.2014 - 03:20
Rating: 4
Michael Amott needs to be in or start side projects that are different genre wise and open up his abilities to new styles of music cus his shit is getting really repetitive and stale. this album was so boring musically.
09.06.2014 - 19:23
Lord_Agony
After all the doubts, anticipation and everybody bashing the new vocalist for no reason, it's really striking how good this album turned out to be
09.06.2014 - 20:43
Sword_Chant
Written by Lord_Agony on 09.06.2014 at 19:23

After all the doubts, anticipation and everybody bashing the new vocalist for no reason, it's really striking how good this album turned out to be

^ This. I have every AE release and I think this might actually be their best album. I like it as much as Wages of Sin
09.06.2014 - 21:36
Rating: 10
So much win.
10.06.2014 - 01:55
Lord_Agony
Quote:
^ This. I have every AE release and I think this might actually be their best album. I like it as much as Wages of Sin

Definitely one of their best releases
10.06.2014 - 06:45
infernaldeath87
My hard copy comes in tomorrow!!!
11.06.2014 - 01:43
Sword_Chant
Written by Irritable Ted on 10.06.2014 at 23:42

The introduction of some symphonic elements is interesting. I would like to see this expanded on the next album. Maybe even some clean vocals in one track. Alissa can sing so don't waste it by not using it.

'Avalanche' features some clean vocals in the choruses (I think), though it's not as prominent as the harsh vocals. I totally agree with your comments, the symphonic elements are really cool
11.06.2014 - 23:56
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I've never been into this band, decided to give the album a try. Listen through like halfway, not my cup of tea. To me it sounds bland and generic. They're probably a fun live band though
13.06.2014 - 18:40
Rating: 10
This album is right under wages of sin for me. Total win.
15.06.2014 - 22:27
Rating: 7
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Finally listened to this. Definitely an improvement if you compare it to their last album. However, it still doesn't convince me. Maybe the new vocalist and guitarist can bring something invigorating in the future. We'll see. I'm still getting used to Alissa but the songs are at least better than KL. This one is more consistent.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
17.06.2014 - 18:26
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Not bad Arch Enemy, not bad. Amott seems to still have some drive left. War Eternal is miles ahead of Khaos Legion and right there with the AE classics. Alissa is a much better vocalist than Angela and she is one of the reasons why I enjoy this new album more than the previous ones. Great job, keep it up.

Hits total: 24184 | This month: 56