Metal Storm logo
Cymbal manufacturer

Poll

What kind of cybal manufacturer do you think its best?

Sabian
Zildjian
Paiste
Istanbul
Ajaha
Wuhan
Meinl
Bosphorus
Others

Total votes: 10
01.03.2007 - 14:28
Wollan
Account deleted
What kind of cymbal manufacturer do you think its the best? Sabian, Paiste or maybe Zildjian? Tell me what you prefer.
01.03.2007 - 17:02
Erosive Offals
Account deleted
I am not a drummer but with my experience, I've played the Sabian cymbals. The drummer in my band swears by them.
01.03.2007 - 17:09
Christos
I like all sorts of cymbals. However, the majority of my setup are Zildjian.
----
ta bi
03.03.2007 - 15:54
Markku
Account deleted
Can anyone describe the difference between eurpean and the turkish sound?
04.03.2007 - 15:19
Remus
Written by [user id=3005] on 03.03.2007 at 15:54

Dude, you do realize that half of Turkey IS in Europe! Don't know if Turkish cymbals have their own unique sound but i heard the cymbal was invented in Constantinople...
The only turkish cymbal i've played on was an Istanbul splash - it sounded pretty cool. Not sure, but wasn't Zildjian a turkish brand before the yanks baught it?

Anyway my personal preferences are:

Zildjian have really cool hi-hats (i love the sound of Lars Ulrich's hi-hats on the black album)
Paiste have good crashes, very bassy and very powerfull
Sabian make cool rides with really awesome sounding bells.

But these are just my opinions. I think any expensive cymbals sound good. Just for interest sake i play on a set of Zildjians.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
04.03.2007 - 20:02
Markku
Account deleted
Written by Remus on 04.03.2007 at 15:19

Written by [user id=3005] on 03.03.2007 at 15:54

Dude, you do realize that half of Turkey IS in Europe! Don't know if Turkish cymbals have their own unique sound but i heard the cymbal was invented in Constantinople...
The only turkish cymbal i've played on was an Istanbul splash - it sounded pretty cool. Not sure, but wasn't Zildjian a turkish brand before the yanks baught it?

Anyway my personal preferences are:

Zildjian have really cool hi-hats (i love the sound of Lars Ulrich's hi-hats on the black album)
Paiste have good crashes, very bassy and very powerfull
Sabian make cool rides with really awesome sounding bells.

But these are just my opinions. I think any expensive cymbals sound good. Just for interest sake i play on a set of Zildjians.

Firstly, only a small part of Turkey is considered to be in Europe; actually that isn't important at all, hehe.

I'll explain my question: Zildijan and Sabian(grew out from zildijan) are considered to represent the Turkish, or Asian sound(although they located in North America nowadays and the founder of Zildijan was acrually an Amenian). Paiste is considered to represnt European sound. I was wondereing what the characteristics of these two are.
02.04.2007 - 01:32
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Personally I prefer Paiste's sound. Their signature series is so beautiful.. but then powerful at the same time. You only need to listen to Dave Lombardo, Steve Asheim, Paul Bostaph, Danny Carey, Mikkey Dee, John Dolmayan, Bobby Jarzombek, Nicko McBrain, Ian Paice, Scott Travis or David Mackintosh to know that.
Sabian cymbals don't appeal to me much at all.. I dont know whether it was because of the recording or what, but I heard Mike Portnoy playing his Sabian crashes and they sounded disgusting..

BTW, while I'm here, does anyone here own some Axis A series double pedals?
or know anything about them?
02.04.2007 - 17:51
Christos
@ Savage Messiah - I replied in another thread

I went cymbal shopping on Saturday, got my eye on a rather tasty 20" K ride and 15" and 18" K dark crashes. MMmmmmmmmm
----
ta bi
04.04.2007 - 01:11
Remus
Ooh, a "Dark" crash! Scary! But seriously, why do they call it that?

@ Savage Messiah I used my Zildjians to record our band's demo. Then one of my friends, who has his own band, asked if he could use my cymbals as well for their demo as his Paiste 201 set are kind of junky.
Anyway, the same set of cymbals was used in two different studios and let me tell you that the sounds obtained are totally different. So you see, studios count as well when it comes to cymbal sound.

Forget about Portonoy, just play on a set of Sabians and decide for yourself if you find them disgusting. Hm, i haven't heard anyone use that adjective to describe cymbal sound but there's a first of everything, right?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
15.04.2007 - 11:59
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Remus on 04.04.2007 at 01:11

Ooh, a "Dark" crash! Scary! But seriously, why do they call it that?

@ Savage Messiah I used my Zildjians to record our band's demo. Then one of my friends, who has his own band, asked if he could use my cymbals as well for their demo as his Paiste 201 set are kind of junky.
Anyway, the same set of cymbals was used in two different studios and let me tell you that the sounds obtained are totally different. So you see, studios count as well when it comes to cymbal sound.

Forget about Portonoy, just play on a set of Sabians and decide for yourself if you find them disgusting. Hm, i haven't heard anyone use that adjective to describe cymbal sound but there's a first of everything, right?

hahahaha lol... "disgusting" - i used that word for lack of a better one i guess...
i find that i generally have a really sensitive ear when it comes to cymbals.. my drum teacher called it a "musical ear" - after my mum complained to him about me wanting a $600 cymbal for my birthday instead of the standard $200 one..
so yeah... trashy cymbals irritate me SO much.. i guess im just really picky lol
15.04.2007 - 12:03
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
and by trashy i mean cheap - the ones that sound like sheet metal or trash can lids.
not the intentional trashy cymbals that have like...another piece of metal sitting on top of the cymbal