04. Panorama
05. When Chaos Calls
06. Erodent
07. Noctilucent
08. Terminus
09. Dominant Winds

Top 20 albums of 2016: 13

Additional info
Recorded from October 2014 to June 2015.
Drums recorded at Toproom Studio, October 2014.
Guitars recorded at Crosound Studio, January-May 2015.
Keys, FX and synthesizers recorded at Mezzanine Studio, May 2015.
Vocals recorded at Waves Studio, Mezzanine Studio and Oak Hill, November 2014-June 2015.
Bass arranged and recorded by Simen Daniel Børven.
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios, Örebro, June 2015.

All songs written by Øystein G. Brun except "Panorama" written by Lars A. Nedland.
All songs arranged by Borknagar.
Produced by Øystein G. Brun and Borknagar.

Original nature photos by Thor Erik Dullum.
Cover, layout and design by Marcelo Vasco (p2rdesign.com).

Staff review by
corrupt
Rating:
Borknagar have spent the last two decades - pardon the cliché - doing their own thing. Never much concerned with publicity or reception of their work, as it appeared, they put out a number of solid releases, played a show or a small tour here and there, and otherwise elegantly avoided the big stage. Various lineup changes entailed a broad stylistic variance throughout their discography, ranging from fierce black metal tunes to warm symphonic harmonies with a slight avant-garde twitch while several recurring themes act as modest leitmotifs in their sound today. For their 20th anniversary, Borknagar return with a special release: one assembling all four singers the band had over the years on a single album: Winter Thrice.

Read more ››
published 23.01.2016 | Comments (16)

Found in 50 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 33   Visited by: 1063 users
01.10.2015 - 19:02
Rating: 9
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Hoping to see a slight improvement over Urd, which was brilliant despite being a little disjointed at times.
20.11.2015 - 18:39
Wukk
Http://borknagar.wpengine.com/2392/borknagar-unveil-winter-thrice-cover-artwork-first-new-song-debuted-in-lyric-video/

We may have another Urd on our hands. And that art is nice.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
22.01.2016 - 20:40
poison-evie
Just downloaded my copy off amazon. First impressions after initial full play: similar to Urd, but not quite as inspired (Urd is my favorite Borknagar album). Some of the compositions are a little weak, but I hope that the album grows on me as I listen to it more and more because I'm a big Borknagar fan. My favorite tracks (besides the previously released ones Rhymes of the Mountain, and Winter Thrice) are Terminus and When Chaos Calls. I wish that there was some more Vortex and less Vintersorg for clean vocals, but that's just a small complaint. I'd give this album a 8.5/10 but I'll round it up to a 9
23.01.2016 - 19:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by poison-evie on 22.01.2016 at 20:40

Just downloaded my copy off amazon. First impressions after initial full play: similar to Urd, but not quite as inspired (Urd is my favorite Borknagar album). Some of the compositions are a little weak, but I hope that the album grows on me as I listen to it more and more because I'm a big Borknagar fan. My favorite tracks (besides the previously released ones Rhymes of the Mountain, and Winter Thrice) are Terminus and When Chaos Calls. I wish that there was some more Vortex and less Vintersorg for clean vocals, but that's just a small complaint. I'd give this album a 8.5/10 but I'll round it up to a 9

why do you download copy from aamzon, its buy real cd, digital music is illegal downloads to me only ...I never get why ppl want pay for digital if there are real CD's out

I think band over wrote them selfs, nothing special about this album, I like calm vocals into it, another one what well typical band sound, style, and talent somehow make it good , but well I was expeting something more... better
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.01.2016 - 23:42
Rating: 8
musclassia
Staff
Written by Bad English on 23.01.2016 at 19:14

why do you download copy from aamzon, its buy real cd, digital music is illegal downloads to me only ...I never get why ppl want pay for digital if there are real CD's out

There's only so much space for CDs - if I got CDs for every album I bought, I'd be out of space. However, I still want to reward an artist I like the music of when I download their music (most of the time at least, I still occasionally revert to my seafaring ways)
23.01.2016 - 23:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by musclassia on 23.01.2016 at 23:42

There's only so much space for CDs - if I got CDs for every album I bought, I'd be out of space. However, I still want to reward an artist I like the music of when I download their music (most of the time at least, I still occasionally revert to my seafaring ways)

well I know but I can manage, I have organized chaos ...
----

apos;'
[image]
24.01.2016 - 07:38
Joe Zombie
I kind of like this. Very melodic and the blend of clean/blackened vocals is nice. An average album with some good moments otherwise. The first half is better than the second I'd say.
25.01.2016 - 18:48
poison-evie
Written by musclassia on 23.01.2016 at 23:42

I preordered the CD + tshirt from century media in the beginning of January for 20 bucks and still waiting for it to come in the mail. I was just way too impatient for it to arrive and it was eating at me and just HAD to listen to it the day it came out, and since it was only 8 bucks off amazon for digital, I figured "why not?"

The more I listen to this album, the more I love it. <3
27.01.2016 - 16:10
joshsteph

Buying official music off the internet is not illegal. iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and many more are selling music in mp3 format legally. Second, if you think the music on your CD is not digital, then you're wrong again. Even vinyls are made after digital recordings, not after analog ones like in the good old days when I wasn't even sperm. So, 95% of the music released today is digital no matter what format you're buying.
27.01.2016 - 19:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by joshsteph on 27.01.2016 at 16:10

Buying official music off the internet is not illegal. iTunes, Amazon, Google Play and many more are selling music in mp3 format legally. Second, if you think the music on your CD is not digital, then you're wrong again. Even vinyls are made after digital recordings, not after analog ones like in the good old days when I wasn't even sperm. So, 95% of the music released today is digital no matter what format you're buying.

I know it but still CD is to have better if it goes legally
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2016 - 21:53
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 27.01.2016 at 19:28

Do you even know what is legal or illegal? For years already it is legal to download music from several websites in exchange for money. You can even buy songs and not an entire album. I do not see what's wrong with that. More options for everyone. Physical copies can still be bought. Whoever wishes one can pay for it and the only obstacle is that it might be sold-out. Even if we go by sound quality, nor CD, nor MP3's or FLAC can ever compete with vinyl quality. But in the end, everybody has the right to choose through which option he/she wishes to acquire its music. In this case, there is no better choice. That's just a matter of subjectivity.
02.02.2016 - 21:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 02.02.2016 at 21:53

Written by Bad English on 27.01.2016 at 19:28

Do you even know what is legal or illegal? For years already it is legal to download music from several websites in exchange for money. You can even buy songs and not an entire album. I do not see what's wrong with that. More options for everyone. Physical copies can still be bought. Whoever wishes one can pay for it and the only obstacle is that it might be sold-out. Even if we go by sound quality, nor CD, nor MP3's or FLAC can ever compete with vinyl quality. But in the end, everybody has the right to choose through which option he/she wishes to acquire its music. In this case, there is no better choice. That's just a matter of subjectivity.

I know , but still don't make sence, because booklet and real CD is best thing what you pay for, don't get why we need pay for legal download, same time we can do piratebay for free, I never pay for downloads, but real CD's
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2016 - 22:10
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 02.02.2016 at 21:59

I know , but still don't make sence, because booklet and real CD is best thing what you pay for, don't get why we need pay for legal download, same time we can do piratebay for free, I never pay for downloads, but real CD's

People appreciate things differently. And in the end, most people today listen their music on their pc, or they store the tunes in other audio playing gadgets through pc's. Personally, I do not place much value on booklets. I buy CD's for collecting, not because I listen to them. For that, I have my pc.
02.02.2016 - 22:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 02.02.2016 at 22:10

People appreciate things differently. And in the end, most people today listen their music on their pc, or they store the tunes in other audio playing gadgets through pc's. Personally, I do not place much value on booklets. I buy CD's for collecting, not because I listen to them. For that, I have my pc.

collecting is good think and most of I net turds wont find a south whit old school compass and will lost in small town whit out GPS
I listen CD,s tapes, vinyls when visit old man father dude, I love it , mp 3 is only on the road
----

apos;'
[image]
02.02.2016 - 22:18
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Bad English on 02.02.2016 at 22:12

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 02.02.2016 at 22:10

collecting is good think and most of I net turds wont find a south whit old school compass and will lost in small town whit out GPS
I listen CD,s tapes, vinyls when visit old man father dude, I love it , mp 3 is only on the road

I do not see the point, really. On my PC, I just make playlists with my fav songs, press shuffle and that's that. Whereas for CD's, vinyls, I would have to listen to the whole ordeal and replace them one by one. Not that efficient. Like I said, I do it for collecting. For listening, I have my iPOD when I'm away and my pc, when I'm at home.
02.02.2016 - 22:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I never make play lost album by album one in time same when I am travel
its feeling , its like 99 % say BM is all about Saint Ann, I say its about nature and true Swedish winter , .... I am rare limited edition ... I am not ordinary person
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2016 - 05:10
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 02.02.2016 at 22:21

I never make play lost album by album one in time same when I am travel

What the fuck does that even mean?

04.02.2016 - 14:15
manthraxxx
Where is the Vortex Vocal-ling Track in this album ??
And There are 4 Vocals in Winter Thrice Track really !!
05.02.2016 - 11:11
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Guest on 04.02.2016 at 05:10

A coherent sentence from that guy is as rare as an intelligent racist.
05.02.2016 - 12:26
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniell on 05.02.2016 at 11:11

Written by Guest on 04.02.2016 at 05:10

A coherent sentence from that guy is as rare as an intelligent racist.

this make me proud I like to be insulted as racist , hats why you do not answer to my question in Pol thread about refugees
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2016 - 13:04
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Bad English on 05.02.2016 at 12:26

this make me proud I like to be insulted as racist , hats why you do not answer to my question in Pol thread about refugees

I didn't say you were racist.
05.02.2016 - 13:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Daniell on 05.02.2016 at 13:04

Written by Bad English on 05.02.2016 at 12:26

I didn't say you were racist.

You know you don't like me, I know you don't like me, all knows you don't like me, its a fact
----

apos;'
[image]
05.02.2016 - 14:11
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
I give up.
05.02.2016 - 14:17
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.02.2016 - 03:13
jadis40
So...I've been listening to Winter Thrice quite a bit over the past couple of days. Strong release overall, but I personally like the first half slightly more than the second half.

The song I find myself going back to play over and over is "Cold Runs the River". I find that song running through my head even when I'm not listening to it.

"Erodent" is good too, as is the title track and "Panorama". "Terminus" too.

It's still early in the year, but this is the front runner for my favorite release of 2016. Going in, it was the one I was the most excited to hear about, and I'm not disappointed.
08.02.2016 - 23:41
Zyk
This album was a very pleasant surprise for me. I pretty thoroughly enjoyed Urd but thought that this one might be a step down after I heard The Rhymes Of The Mountain when they posted it. Winter Thrice turned out to be really interesting in comparison, with Urd being a little more straight forward and WT sounding more exploratory. I was immediately grabbed by Erodent, Cold Runs the River, and Panorama. The biggest surprise is that I thought Vintersorg sounded good on Urd, but he made quite an improvement with his singing on this album.

I only have 2 issues with Winter Thrice. The first would be that Vortex's vocals were such a pleasant addition on Urd that I would have liked to hear a bit more of him in this one. However, I've been listening to Arcturus's last album in tandem with this and it definitely fills that void. The second is that the drums could be way more interesting. Most of the sections that are written to use blast beats and double kicks are ok but sound like filler compared to the other sections. I don't really mind these sections but I found myself less drawn to the songs that used longer sections like this, they didn't seem to compliment the rest of the album quite well enough. I think that either spicing up the drums or writing more interesting sections than the standard black metal riff would help a lot in those areas.

Otherwise I'd say pretty much every song is good in a different way. Try out Erodent, Cold Runs the River, and Panorama.
28.02.2016 - 17:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I don't think I've enjoyed Borknagar since Empiricism. Part way through this and that definitely isn't going to change. When did they get so damned cheesey, plain and synthetic? Vocals are iffy as sin; it doesn't sound remotely like the Vintersorg I used to know (and like). He sounds almost autotuned here. Pretty weak record to my ears (first 30 minutes anyway).
28.02.2016 - 17:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.02.2016 at 17:13

I don't think I've enjoyed Borknagar since Empiricism. Part way through this and that definitely isn't going to change. When did they get so damned cheesey, plain and synthetic? Vocals are iffy as sin; it doesn't sound remotely like the Vintersorg I used to know (and like). He sounds almost autotuned here. Pretty weak record to my ears (first 30 minutes anyway).

I think vox is good, if this would be just growls, then it would be boring, but in some way band lost somewhere
----

apos;'
[image]
28.02.2016 - 17:21
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 28.02.2016 at 17:19

I think vox is good, if this would be just growls, then it would be boring, but in some way band lost somewhere

The growls are boring as they are. I'll take the old Vintersorg when he sounded more unique and still had an edge to his sound, rather than the tampered-with new incarnation.
28.02.2016 - 17:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 28.02.2016 at 17:21

Written by Bad English on 28.02.2016 at 17:19

The growls are boring as they are. I'll take the old Vintersorg when he sounded more unique and still had an edge to his sound, rather than the tampered-with new incarnation.

maybe band cant find inspiration anymore, but its not super bad album
----

apos;'
[image]

Hits total: 19634 | This month: 66