Metal Storm logo
Omnium Gatherum - Share New Track

Cannot wait to listen to Grey Heavens, the new album by Finnish melodeath unit Omnium Gatherum? Good news then, as after sharing "Skyline" and "Frontiers" they now offer us a third track. You can listen to a third track called "The Pit" which is actually the album opener here.

Let us know how much you like (or don't) this new track.

Single cover

Pick up Grey Heavens on February 26th via Lifeforce Records.

Source: lifeforcerecords.com
Band profile: Omnium Gatherum
Posted: 15.02.2016 by s_t_s

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 12   Visited by: 192 users
15.02.2016 - 19:40
Sounded a lot like one of the songs from Insomnium's last album, can't remember which.
15.02.2016 - 22:17
You probably mean Last Statement and Cathode Ray Sunshine by Dark Tranquillity buddy.
15.02.2016 - 23:08
OpenMind
Better than the last 2 fo sho
15.02.2016 - 23:42
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
This songs reminded me why I completely stopped following melodeath. This genre has hit a dead end and is going nowhere. This songs is basically IDENTICAL to hundreds of songs I heard before, 10 or 15 years ago. There isn't a single note in this song that has any semblance of originality.
16.02.2016 - 00:03
God Alone
Yea, sounds like any other melodeath song. Not terrible, just incredibly unexciting.
16.02.2016 - 00:05
Written by Daniell on 15.02.2016 at 23:42

This songs reminded me why I completely stopped following melodeath. This genre has hit a dead end and is going nowhere. This songs is basically IDENTICAL to hundreds of songs I heard before, 10 or 15 years ago. There isn't a single note in this song that has any semblance of originality.

Totally agree 100%. This kind of stuff is so predictable I could barely listen to the whole song it was so boring. And it's not like it's at least energetic or heavy or emotional. It sounds like it's going through the motions.

Dead genre indeed.
16.02.2016 - 03:18
InsuRn
Written by Spirit of dead on 16.02.2016 at 00:05

Totally agree 100%. This kind of stuff is so predictable I could barely listen to the whole song it was so boring. And it's not like it's at least energetic or heavy or emotional. It sounds like it's going through the motions.

Dead genre indeed.

Melodeath isn't dead, maybe you both are tired listening to this genre, but there's still a lot of good band in melodeath. The argument about sounding identical to hundreds of songs you heard can be applied to nearly any metal genre. When you like a genre, you can easily hear the difference between songs. I know melodeath is far from being popular here, but with bands like Be'lakor, Omnium Gatherum, Bloodshot Dawn, Words of Farewell, Wolfheart, etc..., I think this genre is currently healthy, but feel free to disagree, metal is so diverse that it is easy to dislike a genre.
16.02.2016 - 03:49
Written by InsuRn on 16.02.2016 at 03:18

Melodeath isn't dead, maybe you both are tired listening to this genre, but there's still a lot of good band in melodeath. The argument about sounding identical to hundreds of songs you heard can be applied to nearly any metal genre. When you like a genre, you can easily hear the difference between songs. I know melodeath is far from being popular here, but with bands like Be'lakor, Omnium Gatherum, Bloodshot Dawn, Words of Farewell, Wolfheart, etc..., I think this genre is currently healthy, but feel free to disagree, metal is so diverse that it is easy to dislike a genre.

I like melodic death metal. I just don't see any of the new stuff being particularly interesting or well written. Even Bloodshot Dawn who I like are lacking in song writing ability. The rest is tedious rehashes.

They definitely do not write distinctive or memorable songs. It's all the same rehased tired old shit.

I do agree other genres are equally artistically dead. For example most modern thrash is regurgitated crap with only a handful of bands doing anything interesting (and most of them are old i.e. Testament and Death Angel). Power metal is the same.
16.02.2016 - 04:32
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by InsuRn on 16.02.2016 at 03:18

I know melodeath is far from being popular here, but with bands like Be'lakor, Omnium Gatherum, Bloodshot Dawn, Words of Farewell, Wolfheart, etc...

Just for info, melodeath is very much appreciated by the average ms user (source: album ratings of the bands you mentioned).

And I agree with Spirit of dead, melodeath is part of those genres incapable of renovating itself along with thrash or power... It's not about taste/opinion, there simply hasn't been any new form/sound incorporated to the classic bands of the genre.
Doesn't mean it's inherently bad and lots of people seem to enjoy the genre, but it's certainly not original and you won't find a thriving scene full of new ideas.
16.02.2016 - 14:01
s_t_s
Well unlike most of you I enjoy this track and indeed Skyline smoothly follows it (while when separated from the rest it sounds a bit weaker). Surely not the album of the year but sounds definitely nice to me.
16.02.2016 - 15:49
Risto
Wandering Midget

I agree with you in the sense that Grey Heavens is probably their most "derivative" sounding album since The Redshift. I'd classify Beyond their most distinct album, even hough I prefer New World Shadows.
17.02.2016 - 00:32
musclassia
Staff
Written by Spirit of dead on 16.02.2016 at 03:49

They definitely do not write distinctive or memorable songs. It's all the same rehased tired old shit.

I do agree other genres are equally artistically dead. For example most modern thrash is regurgitated crap with only a handful of bands doing anything interesting (and most of them are old i.e. Testament and Death Angel). Power metal is the same.

To be honest, I don't know whether any of these songs will be of much or any interest to you, but whilst I agree songs like this one is very generic and rehashed, and that a lot of these bands (Omnium Gatherum, Insomnium, At The Gates, etc) have very typical sounds that they end up repeating ad infinitum, they do have a fair few songs that I think are sufficiently distinctive from their standard sound and which end up being pretty memorable (part due to being different, part due to being good) to not entirely write them off as totally uninspired. Certainly, I feel like songs such as Nightcrawlers, White Palace, perhaps The Unknowning from Omnium Gatherum's previous album and songs such as In Parting (a real favourite of mine) and The Dream And The Waking from Belakor's previous album are examples of clearly distinctive songs with respect to other songs on the albums they appear on (they're not huge leaps but I think it's unreasonable to expect something drastically different within one album, it's hardly as if more innovative acts make huge sonic shifts within an album), and all of which are pretty memorable to me. I guess one could say they should do more songs like this rather than ones like the song posted in this news article that all sound one and the same, but perhaps having a few of these more generic tracks (as long as they're well-written and have distinctive hooks to them) allow the more ambitious songs to stand out too.

To be honest, not quite sure why I'm doing such an impassioned defence of melodeath considering there's about a half dozen other metal subgenres (and some non-metal genres) that I prefer to it, and plenty of bands I prefer to OG (although I do tihnk Be'lakor are actually rather good); I guess I just see more than perhaps any genre on here melodeath being the main punching bag for more established members about it being artistically dead and generic, and felt there was perhaps a case to make a stab at giving it a defense. This is what long frustrating days at work drive me to haha

Hits total: 2656 | This month: 9