Metal Storm logo
Cynic - Announce New Touring Guitarist

The reunited Cyinc, whose 1993 album "Focus" is regarded as a landmark release in the field of technical/progressive metal, has announced the addition of Los Angeles native, multi-instrumentalist David "Mavis" Senescu, as the touring guitar player for the band's upcoming shows.

Cynic's Paul Masvidal (guitar, vocals) first met Mavis while touring as a member of Death in support of the classic "Human" album. Paul states, "I gave Mavis my last Cynic demo at a Whisky show in L.A. The fact that I gave him my last demo copy on tour with Death means there was a connection for me and fully explains why we're working with him now. I must have known on some level. Mavis is precise and focused, which is exactly what Cyinc needs."

Mavis is the son of legendary jazz trumpeter Bob Senescu, who was a touring member of the Buddy Rich Big Band. He has also toured with the Beach Boys, among others. He was raised listening to Los Angeles' finest studio musicians at work.

Cynic recently abandoned plans to utilize the services of Aghora's Santiago Dobles for its upcoming tour. According to the band, "due to the commitment required for the reunion, it was mutually agreed that another guitar player would be better suited." The rest of the group's lineup will consist of Masvidal, Reinert, Tony Teegarden (vocals, keyboards) and Chris Kringel (bass).

Kringel, who replaces Sean Malone (who can't participate in the reunion because of teaching and work commitments) in Cynic's reunion lineup, has been involved with the band since the pre-"Focus" days and toured with the band in Europe in support of the CD. He also played bass on the classic and much-sought-after Portal demos and toured the U.K. with Paul and Sean's Aeon Spoke project. Teegarden also previously toured with Cynic in support of "Focus".

According to Masvidal, guitarist Jason Gobel was approached about participating in the reunion, but was forced to turn it down due to family and work commitments. However, he gave the rest of the group his blessings to proceed.

Cynic will embark on a three-week European tour beginning mid-June, which will include dates in U.K., Iceland, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Austria and Switzerland. So far the band has been confirmed for the Hellfest and Fury Fest in France, Hovefestivalen in Norway and Evolution Festival in Italy. More dates will be announced soon

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Cynic
Posted: 17.04.2007 by lordz

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 3   Visited by: 3 users
18.04.2007 - 02:41
Wo0dy
Account deleted
are they gonna come to the U.S?
18.04.2007 - 03:56
Curtis the Bum
Account deleted
man, it ssems like they hacked alot of the original members....but itll still be pretty sweet
18.04.2007 - 15:28
Syk
myspace/bonerama
"...precise and focused, which is exactly what Cyinc needs."

Haha!
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays

Hits total: 2448 | This month: 5