Metal Storm logo
3 Inches of Blood

Original post

Posted by Arian Totalis, 12.05.2007 - 04:41
These guys are one of the more unique power/heavy metal bands out there. They come from Canada, and have two vocalists, both of which are fairly shrill, but still bad ass. They have taught us that Axes of Evil makes our fate wrapped in Steel. Any other fans here?
27.11.2008 - 01:26
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Luciferion on 27.11.2008 at 01:21

Hahah, gotta love newspaper reviewers, jsut love the fact that the majority of them have no idea what the bands theya re going to are like, and then just state whatever band ppl recognize was the highlight so that everyone is all "oh right i now him".

And shadows fall!! i thought they did good (even though im super biased cause for soem reason i really enjoy them heh). But for sure Cavelera was good. I had heard there stuff beforehand, and was lukewarm to them, but their showing sure helped there stock

Yeah, I'm probably equally as biased when it comes to judging the Shadows Fall performance, seeing as I dislike their music to begin with. A band has to put on an extremely solid set to switch my view on them (like 3 Inches or DevilDriver). After comparing 3 Inches performance at MoR to the other times I've seen them at small clubs, they are definitely better suited for a big stage, which not many bands are these days, and its very promising for Canadian metal.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
28.11.2008 - 10:59
Jewfasa
Account deleted
3 Inches of blood is a pretty solid band when it comes to there type of music. i am definitely a fan. I hope to hear more from them soon.
28.11.2008 - 12:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 31.08.2007 at 23:53

Written by Guest on 31.08.2007 at 05:41

Yeah I've heard of these guys...it's like NWOBHM with harsh vocals...I think they're sound is really dated musically but they bring new things to the table vocally...I dunno...they're pretty mediocre...I think the whole trying to reinvent NWOHBM is dated in itself...

They might have a NWOBHM feel to them, but I would honestly say they are more along the lines of extreme power metal, if you look at the lyrics. Plus their overall sound is really more powery (even though sometimes power and traditional heavy metal walk a fine line)

Quoting another one of your old posts (because I like discussing this band and I already killed every other discussion in this thread).

Anyways, I really don't consider them power at all. When I think power I think more classical influenced, maybe dabbles of orchestrations and singers with really wide ranges. Not to mention I find power metal tends to have a more grandiose feel to it, while I find 3 Inches has a far more down-to-earth sound (despite over the top lyrics). Maybe thats just my interpretation of power metal that they're not fitting into though....
----
- George Carlin
28.11.2008 - 19:27
Luciferion
Written by Doc G. on 28.11.2008 at 12:31

Yeah I've heard of these guys...it's like NWOBHM with harsh vocals...I think they're sound is really dated musically but they bring new things to the table vocally...I dunno...they're pretty mediocre...I think the whole trying to reinvent NWOHBM is dated in itself...

They might have a NWOBHM feel to them, but I would honestly say they are more along the lines of extreme power metal, if you look at the lyrics. Plus their overall sound is really more powery (even though sometimes power and traditional heavy metal walk a fine line)

Quoting another one of your old posts (because I like discussing this band and I already killed every other discussion in this thread).

Anyways, I really don't consider them power at all. When I think power I think more classical influenced, maybe dabbles of orchestrations and singers with really wide ranges. Not to mention I find power metal tends to have a more grandiose feel to it, while I find 3 Inches has a far more down-to-earth sound (despite over the top lyrics). Maybe thats just my interpretation of power metal that they're not fitting into though....

I'm gonna agre with you here, they definetly don't fall into what i consider Power Metal. FOr me Power metal is something like studioforce or sonata arctica, where they have quite a different feel from what 3 inches portrays.
----
Fear makes the wolf bigger than he is, and I am the wolf that hunts you.
30.11.2008 - 21:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 28.11.2008 at 12:31

Well, I think I disagree. They have a feel that power metal has to it; lots of harmonies and solos, a feeling of epic triumph, and, frankly, it does feel quite grandiose to me. They're almost the same as bodom. Granted, they're two different bands with two different sounds, but they have that power feeling with harsh vocals, and I would say that 3IOB is more power than bodom because of their lyrical content. I mean, Axes of evil and Upon the Boiling Sea parts 1, 2, and 3 are all fucking epic.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
01.12.2008 - 01:19
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 30.11.2008 at 21:57

Well, I think I disagree. They have a feel that power metal has to it; lots of harmonies and solos, a feeling of epic triumph, and, frankly, it does feel quite grandiose to me. They're almost the same as bodom. Granted, they're two different bands with two different sounds, but they have that power feeling with harsh vocals, and I would say that 3IOB is more power than bodom because of their lyrical content. I mean, Axes of evil and Upon the Boiling Sea parts 1, 2, and 3 are all fucking epic.

I suppose, I just find their compositions a little less layered than most power metal bands I know (not that its necessarily a bad thing).
----
- George Carlin
01.12.2008 - 06:04
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Yeah, I think that it's great that they don't use over-layered production or rely on retarded amounts of effects. They are a pure product, like 100% uncut cocain
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

01.12.2008 - 06:52
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
@Arian
Yeah, whereas the power metal I'm used to has like 2000 tracks (layers) ie Blind Guardian.
----
- George Carlin
03.12.2008 - 03:46
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 01.12.2008 at 06:52

@Arian
Yeah, whereas the power metal I'm used to has like 2000 tracks (layers) ie Blind Guardian.

Given, even though BG layers are mostly Hansi harmonizing with himself vocally. I think that Dragonforce or Rhapsody would have been a better example. They do retarded amounts of vocal AND guitar layering.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

03.12.2008 - 06:50
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 03.12.2008 at 03:46

Written by Doc G. on 01.12.2008 at 06:52

@Arian

Given, even though BG layers are mostly Hansi harmonizing with himself vocally. I think that Dragonforce or Rhapsody would have been a better example. They do retarded amounts of vocal AND guitar layering.

Well, in A Night At The Opera I hear quite a bit of layering beyond vocals....but thats beside the point. 3 Inches just seems far too stripped down in comparison. The guitars just sound a lot closer to straight forward heavy metal to me, it kind of lacks that neo-classical guitar work and added symphonic elements that are common in power metal (I know, not all power metal has symphonic parts). Beyond lyrical content they definitely don't come across as power metal to me.
----
- George Carlin
10.01.2009 - 23:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff

Quoting you again. I think it could also come down to familiarity, let me explain. Through the kind of friend - of a friend - of a friend, I've actually become familiar with a lot of the scene that 3 Inches was part of while starting up (a lot of which I've been listening to since before I got into 3 Inches recently), you'll notice most of these bands were either punk or thrash-punk type stuff (like STREETS - great band, my avatar is the back cover from their latest album). Anyways, because the metal scene out in Vancouver isn't really plentiful, the local metal shows generally get lumped in with the punk shows (at least thats the way it was last time I was out there/talking to some friends out there - could have changed in the last little while).

So to sum it up: yes I guess someone who is ignorant to the areas music would see it as power metal (and please don't take ignorant as an insult, I mean it in the literal context). But after listening to a lot of the bands from the same area you start to notice similarities in the sound and can't help but hear the punk-ish edge to their sound (most potent in the first album). All this kind of overshadows any power metal side for me....I really hope that made sense.
----
- George Carlin
12.01.2009 - 02:11
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 10.01.2009 at 23:31

Quoting you again. I think it could also come down to familiarity, let me explain. Through the kind of friend - of a friend - of a friend, I've actually become familiar with a lot of the scene that 3 Inches was part of while starting up (a lot of which I've been listening to since before I got into 3 Inches recently), you'll notice most of these bands were either punk or thrash-punk type stuff (like STREETS - great band, my avatar is the back cover from their latest album). Anyways, because the metal scene out in Vancouver isn't really plentiful, the local metal shows generally get lumped in with the punk shows (at least thats the way it was last time I was out there/talking to some friends out there - could have changed in the last little while).

So to sum it up: yes I guess someone who is ignorant to the areas music would see it as power metal (and please don't take ignorant as an insult, I mean it in the literal context). But after listening to a lot of the bands from the same area you start to notice similarities in the sound and can't help but hear the punk-ish edge to their sound (most potent in the first album). All this kind of overshadows any power metal side for me....I really hope that made sense.

Well, while it does make sense, and I see where you're coming from, I still don't think I completely agree. You see, when placing definition onto a genre of music, while the scene it comes from may be an influence, it is not the determining factor. What determines a genre is the sound that it produces. Of course each bands sound will vary to some extent inside the genre, given that the scene and influence will vary from band to band. Thus comes the punk influence. However, because 3IOB is most prominently influenced in their sound by NWOBHM bands, most notably Maiden and Priest, they have a more melodic sound. So when you combine NWOBHM and punk, what did you origionally get? Thrash; that's how the origional thrash bands were born. However, they took the more melodic side of it, added more harmonies, and still stayed fast paced. This was how the origional power metal bands were born (early Blind Guardian, Helloween.) and so they take more to that direction. On top of that, add harsh vocals and keep the punk edge, what do you get? Extreme power metal.

So yeah, that's where i'm coming from.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

02.02.2009 - 09:58
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 12.01.2009 at 02:11

Well, while it does make sense, and I see where you're coming from, I still don't think I completely agree. You see, when placing definition onto a genre of music, while the scene it comes from may be an influence, it is not the determining factor. What determines a genre is the sound that it produces. Of course each bands sound will vary to some extent inside the genre, given that the scene and influence will vary from band to band. Thus comes the punk influence. However, because 3IOB is most prominently influenced in their sound by NWOBHM bands, most notably Maiden and Priest, they have a more melodic sound. So when you combine NWOBHM and punk, what did you origionally get? Thrash; that's how the origional thrash bands were born. However, they took the more melodic side of it, added more harmonies, and still stayed fast paced. This was how the origional power metal bands were born (early Blind Guardian, Helloween.) and so they take more to that direction. On top of that, add harsh vocals and keep the punk edge, what do you get? Extreme power metal.

I guess it really all comes down to perspective, I'm hearing the common threads they share with the bands they're linked to, your hearing the common threads they share with power metal.

....Stalemate.
----
- George Carlin
02.02.2009 - 15:54
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 02.02.2009 at 09:58

Written by Arian Totalis on 12.01.2009 at 02:11

I guess it really all comes down to perspective, I'm hearing the common threads they share with the bands they're linked to, your hearing the common threads they share with power metal.

....Stalemate.

indeed. It's also a conclusion I came to not only on threads but with my own listening experience. I guess discussion influences our perspective too..
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

03.02.2009 - 04:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 02.02.2009 at 15:54

indeed. It's also a conclusion I came to not only on threads but with my own listening experience. I guess discussion influences our perspective too..

Definitely. It especially applies when you get certain hybrid bands (like the one at hand here).

EDIT: Now that I'm thinking about it, I really hope we hear something about a new album in the works pretty soon here...seems like its about time.
----
- George Carlin
03.02.2009 - 12:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm i'd classify them as powercore ok only kidding, damn, they should come to Romania in the near future, i haven't heard any band that sounds so over the top, and hearing them live must be some experience. goddamit Painkiller is really subtle compared to these guys's music.
03.02.2009 - 14:34
Hellbound666
Account deleted
I love them! I love allmost everything what come's from Canada ,,,/

My first song was Deadly Sinners and that blow my mind. Then i have to get all other albums too
03.02.2009 - 17:38
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Valentin B on 03.02.2009 at 12:33

Hmm i'd classify them as powercore ok only kidding, damn, they should come to Romania in the near future, i haven't heard any band that sounds so over the top, and hearing them live must be some experience. goddamit Painkiller is really subtle compared to these guys's music.

Actually every time I've seen them its generally a really stripped down type stage show. Theres nothing really outrageous about the stage show. Except Nick Cates makes an angry face and points at the crowd while playing quite a bit.
----
- George Carlin
03.02.2009 - 17:54
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 03.02.2009 at 17:38

Actually every time I've seen them its generally a really stripped down type stage show. Theres nothing really outrageous about the stage show. Except Nick Cates makes an angry face and points at the crowd while playing quite a bit.

well i wasn't talking really about if they make a good stage show or something(frankly with a band that plays such heavy music(yes i do consider them quite heavy) i couldn't give 2 cents about stage show, i'd go there to mosh and drink lots of beer and bang my head like a maniac and sing along like a drunk retard hobo during "Destroy the Orcs", and pick up chicks in between sets lol), but i was talking about the impact the music has on me... i used to have "Destroy the Orcs" as my morning alarm instant awakening!
04.02.2009 - 00:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Valentin B on 03.02.2009 at 17:54

Written by Doc G. on 03.02.2009 at 17:38

well i wasn't talking really about if they make a good stage show or something(frankly with a band that plays such heavy music(yes i do consider them quite heavy) i couldn't give 2 cents about stage show, i'd go there to mosh and drink lots of beer and bang my head like a maniac and sing along like a drunk retard hobo during "Destroy the Orcs", and pick up chicks in between sets lol), but i was talking about the impact the music has on me... i used to have "Destroy the Orcs" as my morning alarm instant awakening!

Yeah, I personally haven't seen them live yet, but I HAVE seen online footage of them playing live, and their sound quality is superb, almost album quality. Like there was this video of them and it looked like they were playing at a house party, but they were playing "revenge is a vulture" and the quality was not in the least lagging.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

04.02.2009 - 00:36
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 03.02.2009 at 04:24

Written by Arian Totalis on 02.02.2009 at 15:54

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I really hope we hear something about a new album in the works pretty soon here...seems like its about time.

Yeah, that would be awsome.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.02.2009 - 04:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 04.02.2009 at 00:36

It would...not sure how soon that will be considering they don't have a label anymore.

Which brings me to my next issue, when the fuck did they get dropped from Roadrunner?! This is news to me...I just read an interview with Cam Pipes and he pretty much tears Roadrunner apart, its awesome.
----
- George Carlin
20.02.2009 - 12:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2009 at 04:10

It would...not sure how soon that will be considering they don't have a label anymore.

Which brings me to my next issue, when the fuck did they get dropped from Roadrunner?! This is news to me...I just read an interview with Cam Pipes and he pretty much tears Roadrunner apart, its awesome.

lol it'd be awesome if they had a song like "dethrone the tyrants" or something on their new album, dedicated to Roadrunner
20.02.2009 - 15:40
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher

I actually had no idea that they were dispatched from Roadrunner either. Could you post that interview please? I would be very interested in reading it.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.02.2009 - 15:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Also, where the hell is their drummer? I wish that could be revealed as well......
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.02.2009 - 21:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.02.2009 at 15:42

Also, where the hell is their drummer? I wish that could be revealed as well......

They just have like a tour drummer right now because their previous drummer got into a pretty serious fist fight with Nigel Glockler from Saxon, so they threw him out. The current live drummer Ash Pearson seems like a capable drummer.

Heres the interview we were talking about btw:

http://www.metalsucks.net/2008/12/16/exclusive-interview-with-3-inches-of-blood-vocalist-cam-pipes/
----
- George Carlin
20.02.2009 - 23:15
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2009 at 21:02

They just have like a tour drummer right now because their previous drummer got into a pretty serious fist fight with Nigel Glockler from Saxon, so they threw him out. The current live drummer Ash Pearson seems like a capable drummer.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2008/12/16/exclusive-interview-with-3-inches-of-blood-vocalist-cam-pipes/

Wow, that's crazy. I could only imagine what Rodriguez was thinking when he went and got in a fight with Nigel Glocker. "He thinks he's the best drummer alive, BUT I'M THE BEST DRUMMER ALIVE! HE WILL PAY FOR HIS HERESY!" he then gets up and starts to beat up Nigel Glocker, the whole time Nigel thinking "wtf?!" Ah, the things drugs can do to a person.

And about that interview, well, it's clear why they're not with Roadrunner anymore. They were not Halling record sales the way they should have, and so they got dropped. Now they're looking for a new label which answers our quesion about a new album- it's up in the air. All the same, Cam Pipes made it sound like some sort of break-up with a controlling girlfriend or something. "We really didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things and so they dropped us, but i'm glad because now we can find a new label who will love us and kiss us and apreciate us for who we are." lol.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.02.2009 - 23:24
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Arian Totalis on 20.02.2009 at 23:15

Wow, that's crazy. I could only imagine what Rodriguez was thinking when he went and got in a fight with Nigel Glocker. "He thinks he's the best drummer alive, BUT I'M THE BEST DRUMMER ALIVE! HE WILL PAY FOR HIS HERESY!" he then gets up and starts to beat up Nigel Glocker, the whole time Nigel thinking "wtf?!" Ah, the things drugs can do to a person.

And about that interview, well, it's clear why they're not with Roadrunner anymore. They were not Halling record sales the way they should have, and so they got dropped. Now they're looking for a new label which answers our quesion about a new album- it's up in the air. All the same, Cam Pipes made it sound like some sort of break-up with a controlling girlfriend or something. "We really didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things and so they dropped us, but i'm glad because now we can find a new label who will love us and kiss us and apreciate us for who we are." lol.

Yeah I was thinking in terms of break-up analogy as well, but in terms of finding a new label. Sure, for a record label of Roadrunners size they weren't pulling in enough sales, but for a smaller label they would have been the golden child so to speak (just like when a really ugly guy gets a chick thats waaay out of his league, he tends to appreciate it more). I'd really love to see them get signed to Relapse or Earache...those 2 labels are solid.
----
- George Carlin
20.02.2009 - 23:34
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Doc G. on 20.02.2009 at 23:24

Written by Arian Totalis on 20.02.2009 at 23:15

Yeah I was thinking in terms of break-up analogy as well, but in terms of finding a new label. Sure, for a record label of Roadrunners size they weren't pulling in enough sales, but for a smaller label they would have been the golden child so to speak (just like when a really ugly guy gets a chick thats waaay out of his league, he tends to appreciate it more). I'd really love to see them get signed to Relapse or Earache...those 2 labels are solid.

Yeah, I was thinking along those same lines except I was thinking Nuclear Blast or Metal Blade. Either way it all boils down the same. Smaller Label = more apreciation.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

20.02.2009 - 23:36
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Valentin B on 20.02.2009 at 12:36

lol it'd be awesome if they had a song like "dethrone the tyrants" or something on their new album, dedicated to Roadrunner

Yeah, that would actually be very apropriate.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko