Metal Storm logo
Eurovision 2007

Original post

Posted by Hyvaarin, 12.05.2007 - 13:44
Here it is, folks, Europe's (two) night(s) of nights! This is the place to discuss the rad and the bad, the whacky and the tacky, the painful and the shameful! Who will you vote for? Will you vote at all? I'll post my thoughts as the semi-finals broadcast progresses - feel free to do the same .

Bulgaria - really awful vocals, boring song, boring costume and choreography. The dude with the mullet who played the drums is cool, though haha.
Israel - extremely crazy and chaotic, I like it! Nice choice of instruments, too.
Cyprus - this woman scared me. Her shiny top and the dancing keyboardist are nothing short of fabulous, though.
Belarus - incredibly good. Shiny clothes, awesome slick/sleazy James Bond vibe, cliché rhymes, poppy vocals. This has it all. My pick for the win so far.
Iceland - first leather pants of the night, and an actually good vocalist. A solid entry.
Georgia - we're on a roll here. Some cool sword-dancing, and the singer's a bit of a babe. The fact that it was their first entry gave it a wonderful feel, too, true to the spirt of Eurovision!
Montenegro - they sounded like W.A.S.P. at the start. Some sweet guitar harmonies, a hilarious chorus and a mega prettyboy Eurotrash singer should get these guys through to the finals. Nice to see another contry making its first entry, too.
Switzerland - HOLY SHIT! I HAVE A NEW FAVOURITE! These guys did EVERYTHING right - excellent mix of bizarre theme/costuming and showtune camp, great lyrics, and even a bit of multi-culturalism! By far the best so far, and one of the best entries I've EVER seen.
Moldova - they're usually pretty awesome, and this year's entry is no exception. Fantastic generic nu metal with violin, sexy woman, awesome leather clothes, a bit of weird jewellery stuff, epic key change... very pleasing, they should do well.
The Netherlands - the most generic, run-of-the-mill Eurovision song I've ever heard. Love it.
Albania - this guy has a luxuriant voice. Very pleasant entry, but a bit unremarkable.
Denmark - TRANNY ALERT!! Hahaha, this entry was fantastic. Very similar to Tomboy, musically speaking. Nice to see they included the requisite key change. A mega chance for the finals.
Croatia - pretty groovtastic, sexual song. Singer's a bit of a lothario, too - I imagine he'd have a line of Eurogroupies lined up for after the performance.
Poland - this is AWESOME. A bit too much like Black Eyed Peas for my liking, but there's definitely a charming decadence about it all. I'd party with them.
Serbia - once I got over the nerdy Asian student appearance of this act, I fell in love. The most predictable vocals so far, hilariously pasionately performed. Could've used a good key change.
Czech Republic - most rockin' song yet, and the guys actually look metal. Good predictable chorus vocal line, presence of leather pants. These guys would make a pretty respectable pub rock band.
Portugal - they haven't won it yet, but this MIGHT be enough to do it. Ludicrous props, tight, shiny and camp costumes, massively heard-it-before vocals, totally bodacious singer. And did I detect a subtle key change?
Macedonia - AWESOME lyrics ("music is the only world for me, in my world we live in harmony"), but an otherwise unremarkable entry.
Norway - laughably camp guys, old singer. Fun entry, but nothing special.
Malta - I really like this one. Nice exotic feel, dumb lyrics about being sick/crazy/dizzy in love. Good work, Malta.
Andorra - Haha! Nice to see the genre of pop-punk represented. FABULOUS key change. We can still save the world, guys!
Hungary - first pop-punk, now blues! In true Eurovision spirit, it seems that the countries are opening themselves up to new things. Pity it's not really working for Hungary. Points for style, though. Also the best guitar playing of the night.
Estonia - excellent cleavage, with lyrics lifted straight from Günther. DYNAMITE performance!
Belgium - funkiest performance of the night, no contest. They have a keytar, too! I like these guys, they should do well.
Slovenia - pretty weird mix of Within Temptation gothery with popera. This one just made me laugh. Might be enough to get them into the finals for the first time.
Turkey - watching this is like being thrown into some weird fucking harem. And really, isn't that what Eurovision's all about? In with strong chance.
Austria - the most silver clothíng I've ever seen, and awesomely transparent moralising. Pretty boring performance, though.
Latvia - here we go, K7. Your countrymen did well - impressive performance, nice crackerjack clothes. They definitely deserve to place.

To be continued...
13.05.2007 - 22:26
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I agree that watching the whole Eurovision show at home is a huge waste of time, and this is why I went out with my friends yesterday (Saturday night), had a good German beer, and learned about the result in a bar (where it aired after the Real Madrid vs RCD Espanyol match finished). Spanish TV commentators were outraged afterwards and would not stop bitching about how unfair it is for Western European countries (yeah, with all ex-Yu countries giving 12 points to Serbia, ex-Soviet countries to ex-Soviet neighbours and so on). They were correct about the fact that a song must be either completely outstanding (as was Lordi last year) or sent by an Eastern country to have any options. Personally, I do not give a *bleep* for this. In general, all of the songs sound pretty similar to my ears. Anyway, I disagree with the fact that there should be a semi-final. In my opinion, the Eurovision final should have representatives from all of the almost 50 European countries, no matter how long it would take.

Immigration has a huge impact on the vote too. Countries with an important flow of immigrants from a certain nation will always give them the maximum score - for example, Spain to Romania, Germany to Turkey, Andorra to Spain and Israel to ex-Soviet countries (what are Turkey, Israel, Cyprus, Georgia and Armenia doing in Eurovision anyway?). While the voting system still relies on the population instead of being changed back to an experienced jury, these things will happen again and again.

Oh, and thank you for not voting for Spain (apart from our dear neighbours Portugal, France and Andorra). Our boy band, our Andalusian Backstreet Boys copycat, was homosexually awful. Not as awful as last year's Las Ketchup though (whom Andorra still gave 12 points )
13.05.2007 - 23:25
Torelli
Written by Ernotar on 13.05.2007 at 19:14

Like many here have said, the Eurovision is more like a joke nowadays. The neighbouring countries vote for each other and not for the song they think is the best. Political issues matter, but then again there are the exceptions like Estonia giving 12 points to Russia... But aren't people taking this a bit too seriously. Malta was organizing an Eurovision boycott after they didn't make it in the final. Then there are always the worst losers ever (with no offence): Sweden. Now they're blaming Finland, because they didn't succeed. I don't think they would've done any better if there had been different camera angles...

One thing that also crossed my mind was that the success of the Eastern Europe may not entirely be about neighbouring countries voting for each other. Maybe they just had better songs. The Western countries have done crappy songs for years. This year was no exception. Many Eastern countries haven't been in this contest for so many times and they still have some creativity left.

If this really gets so childish that people want to devide ESC in the Western and Eastern competitions, they might aswell quit the whole contest (like they probably should've done years ago).

Sweden being the worst loser? Seems like I've have missed something, what have they whined about?

Anyhow, I think you have a point here, that the reason why eastern europe wins all the time doesn't necacerry have to be about politics. It could just be that they have better songs. Okey, there is a tendency that neigbour countries vote for each other, but it doesn't have to be in this way, look at the last years winners for example: Lordi. They broke the record by reciving most 12 points in ESC history, the couldn't possible have done that if they only recived the nighbourhoods' votes. But of course, it could also have been by the large number of Lordi and/or metal fans that usually don't vote in ESC.
13.05.2007 - 23:46
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
Written by Taktsekte on 13.05.2007 at 22:26

I agree that watching the whole Eurovision show at home is a huge waste of time, and this is why I went out with my friends yesterday (Saturday night), had a good German beer, and learned about the result in a bar (where it aired after the Real Madrid vs RCD Espanyol match finished). Spanish TV commentators were outraged afterwards and would not stop bitching about how unfair it is for Western European countries (yeah, with all ex-Yu countries giving 12 points to Serbia, ex-Soviet countries to ex-Soviet neighbours and so on). They were correct about the fact that a song must be either completely outstanding (as was Lordi last year) or sent by an Eastern country to have any options. Personally, I do not give a *bleep* for this. In general, all of the songs sound pretty similar to my ears. Anyway, I disagree with the fact that there should be a semi-final. In my opinion, the Eurovision final should have representatives from all of the almost 50 European countries, no matter how long it would take.

Immigration has a huge impact on the vote too. Countries with an important flow of immigrants from a certain nation will always give them the maximum score - for example, Spain to Romania, Germany to Turkey, Andorra to Spain and Israel to ex-Soviet countries (what are Turkey, Israel, Cyprus, Georgia and Armenia doing in Eurovision anyway?). While the voting system still relies on the population instead of being changed back to an experienced jury, these things will happen again and again.

Oh, and thank you for not voting for Spain (apart from our dear neighbours Portugal, France and Andorra). Our boy band, our Andalusian Backstreet Boys copycat, was homosexually awful. Not as awful as last year's Las Ketchup though (whom Andorra still gave 12 points )

Haha so correct , Israel gave the 8 , 10 ,12 points to the ex-soviet countries because all the immigrants here
and better question WTF Kazakhstan is doing in the European football games .. ,
btw Marroco took a part at the Eurovision too , and what is their connection to Europe haha ?

and next year Azerbajgan Lebanon and the Palestinian National Authority will take a part in it ...

btw Real Madrid -Espanyon was great game
----
14.05.2007 - 00:09
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by The Walrus on 13.05.2007 at 23:46
btw Marroco took a part at the Eurovision too , and what is their connection to Europe haha ?

and next year Azerbajgan Lebanon and the Palestinian National Authority will take a part in it ...

No shit! Are you serious? And to think that this year Luxembourg, Slovakia and Italy have not...

Oh, I just did a search on Wikipedia and found out that even Egypt, Kazakhstan and the Vatican City are willing to enter the competition!
14.05.2007 - 00:17
The Walrus
Moonsorrow
Written by Taktsekte on 14.05.2007 at 00:09

Written by The Walrus on 13.05.2007 at 23:46

No shit! Are you serious? And to think that this year Luxembourg, Slovakia and Italy have not...

Oh, I just did a search on Wikipedia and found out that even Egypt, Kazakhstan and the Vatican City are willing to enter the competition!

If you ask me it's too much , now every country that would like to join it, will join ... what's the point of all those islamic countries now ?! they can orgenize an Islamic songs competition
----
14.05.2007 - 01:16
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Oh, my bad. It was Albania who gave us 12 points. They gave us 6 points last year. Is there any special bond between Spain and Albania or something? Or do they just pity our pathetism?

Official final score board

Don't worry, Europe. Once we send Gigatrón (there has been kind of an Internet campaign for that matter, lol), the whole continent will tremble

It was not possible for 2007, but it shall be possible in the future!
14.05.2007 - 05:47
Deus Ex Machina
During the Apocalyptica show...you know what they did?
They showed commercials!
The only GOOD thing on this lame ass competition and they showed about a minute of it,maybe less.
God fucking damnit-how stupid is croatian TV?

I watched some of this crap but mostly it was very hard to watch because some songs and people performing them made me want to puke.
I'm all for good pop music,but this...this was junk.

The voting...as you all know is completely fucked up.If the organizers of the stupid ass competition won't warn countries about voting for their neighbours than..i say,cancel the damn thing.
Our entry was so....horrible,and the singer...guy is hideous along with that chick who barked the song along with him.Not to mention that the rest of the band was fucking ugly.No wonder we didn't make it to the finals...cause the song sucked ass,but then again..there were worse who did make it

Now...the other entries that i remember were Ukraine,or at least i think it was.It was that weird transvestite dressed in a shiny outfit,'t was some weirdo song and it sounded like shit.If i were drunk while watching ,it would scare me half to death and give me flashbacks for years to come
Slovenia was all like..well hey yeah..i'm tarja and now i'm gonna bore you all with this opera 'til you fall asleep and hey..i've got a little light too!
Great Britain was so...weird,and...wrong.
There was also this chick who was yelling like crazy and hitting huge drums with some sticks.I dunno where she was from or what that was about.But she had the biggest mouth i ever saw and it looked like a seagull could nest in there.She was creepy and gave me the chills.
And also who was that with that song 'bout vampiresthat didn't make it to the finals..was it Switzerland?Not sure...anyway...wtf?????
I'm also not sure but i think it was France who had that bunch of fairies in pink shirts running around?Don't know..anyway..
There was that girl,she was from Macedonia.She was cute,the song had a nice beat,and sounded alright.That should've won.
And Israel..with that "Push the button" thing ..my God..that sounded so bad.Don't know how bad the other entries must've been for Israel to pick a piece of shit like THAT!?
And the winner...Serbia..after looking at those other songs i can say that the...ummm..woman? has a pretty strong voice and i dunno..guess that's why she was noticed but seriously...though..she's the ugliest human being i ever saw in my life.I don't even care what anyone says..she was SO goddamn ugly i wouldn't lean my bike on her.And some ugly ppl are likeable or sympathic ..whatever..She is neither.She moves like she ate a ton of pork and washed it down with 10 liters of beer.The faces she makes make me want to go to my room and hide until she goes away.Seriously...the ugliest person...ever..in life..in the world....planet..ever..forever..and ever.Ah...horrible...like a emo elephant...with glasses

So anyway i can't really remember more or i do but it was so terrible that i can't even describe it.

And i hate it how countries try to act cool,like they don't even care about Eurovision and everyone just says that it's the passtime of fools.But...guess what..THEY ALL FUCKING CARE! And when they fail miserably they go on and on about it,complain and blame others.Admit it europe...you care
Yeah
rant over
14.05.2007 - 11:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 14.05.2007 at 05:47

They showed commercials!
The only GOOD thing on this lame ass competition and they showed about a minute of it,maybe less.

Thank god thay dont do it when BBB start burning Maksimir
BTW I wa swatching it in Slovenian TV ghahahhaha

Have you seen latvain TV?
here are 60% commercial how rael think, damn I hate post USSR tv, all starts whit delight 5-10min, and more commercials how real think

I havnt atch our TV channels 3 years now and wont do it whyle it wont be how in West Europe,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.05.2007 - 11:36
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ Torelli Seems like you haven't been reading Expressen and Aftonbladet. Sweden has blamed Finland for crappy organizing. They even suggested that if Finland ever wins again, we should ask SVT to organize the tv-shooting. In my opinion there were no specific failures in the work the cameramen did... Sweden has also blamed us for not making the black and white circle on which Ola Salo was lying, spin. I can't quite see how Sweden would've won the Eurovision if Ola Salo had been spinning around. And Sweden has also been the angriest country when it comes to the voting system. So, calm down, it's just Eurovision song contest. Send Carola again next year and maybe you'll do better. (btw One Finnish guy was selling Carola t-shirts with the title "Holy Carola" and now Carola has sued him) Talk about bad losers...
----
You'll never walk alone.
14.05.2007 - 11:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernotar on 14.05.2007 at 11:36

@ Torelli Seems like you haven't been reading Expressen and Aftonbladet. Sweden has blamed Finland for crappy organizing. They even suggested that if Finland ever wins again, we should ask SVT to organize the tv-shooting. In my opinion there were no specific failures in the work the cameramen did... Sweden has also blamed us for not making the black and white circle on which Ola Salo was lying, spin. I can't quite see how Sweden would've won the Eurovision if Ola Salo had been spinning around. And Sweden has also been the angriest country when it comes to the voting system. So, calm down, it's just Eurovision song contest. Send Carola again next year and maybe you'll do better. (btw One Finnish guy was selling Carola t-shirts with the title "Holy Carola" and now Carola has sued him) Talk about bad losers...

Hahahaha Sweden are jeliuss to Finland, and Latvia too
seems this 'war' are stupid once for all Finland shood win SWeden in Hockey anmd Football
Wellcome to earth
----

apos;'
[image]
14.05.2007 - 13:15
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Bad English on 14.05.2007 at 11:31

Written by Deus Ex Machina on 14.05.2007 at 05:47

They showed commercials!

Thank god thay dont do it when BBB start burning Maksimir
BTW I wa swatching it in Slovenian TV ghahahhaha

Have you seen latvain TV?
here are 60% commercial how rael think, damn I hate post USSR tv, all starts whit delight 5-10min, and more commercials how real think

I havnt atch our TV channels 3 years now and wont do it whyle it wont be how in West Europe,

Seriously...what are you talking about?
What does BBB have to do with anything..and why would they burn it?And most importantly how does Apocalyptica come into the mix?
And i won't even comment on the rest because i don't get what the hell you're saying and never will.
And don't quote me again....i beg of you.
16.05.2007 - 19:04
Torelli
Written by Ernotar on 14.05.2007 at 11:36

Seriously people shouldn't take this like it is the end of the world...Euruvison isn't exactly known for it's good music, so why would they win? It's a disapointment that the ark rejacted this way, I had a certain amount of respect for them, being the only song in the Swedish contest that actually performed and wrote their own music. What is even more annoying is like you said, we swedes take it so seriously that it seems more important then food. We don't ever bother that ESC cost us tax money...

btw, the Carola thing.... she is such a diva. She wasn't exactly thrilled that Lordi won last year, as she was so sure that she would win. Personally I would have liked to see her not even making it to the final, then you would really see some bitching swedes!
16.05.2007 - 20:59
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ Torelli Well, The Ark has already apologised Finns for calling our contest "the crappiest ESC ever". Now they try to win back their fans by telling how much they love Finland and how great time they had here. A week before the ESC the Swedish press was still concerned about Ola Salo getting a flu because of the cold weather we have here. Like we could order a good weather here... There's only a certain amount of things we can be blamed for and the weather is certainly not a thing we can have an effect on. Carola was also furious when there was the draw from the running order in the Helsinki ESC and there was a drag show where one Finnish drag queen was acting Carola. Our press has really got many headlines about her and I have a feeling that we'll still hear from her...
----
You'll never walk alone.
17.05.2007 - 17:51
Ernis
狼獾
Carola seems to be an aggressive lady : )
Well...today I heard some hilarious stuff from the radio...they spoke there about certain characteristics which must belong to a modern Eurovision winner....

1. The performer must resemble a popular children's book/film/TV character for example Harry Potter...seriously...Harry Potter has proven to be successful...
2. The performer must be from former Yogoslavia...(Serbian would be the best as you all see)
3. The performer must sing in Serbian....
4. The performer must be homosexual....

So...as you all see....they said on the radio that these are the qualities needed in order to win Eurovision....from this day on.....

I'm even afraid to see....you know that each year there are some who try to imitate last year's winning performance.....what if we see next year more than just one plump lesbian girl dressed as Harry Potter(or worse....Frodo Baggins), singing in Serbian....
21.05.2007 - 01:12
APOHAKC
The Bard
Hmm.. sorry bro, but I don't see anything funny here
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
21.05.2007 - 02:03
Ernis
狼獾
Sorry bro....I can't help it.....but that's the thing I heard on the radio...and well...people certainly are bitching about this competition here in the media....like they wouldn't have anything better to do of course but...what can we do....

Do you want to say that you are satisfied with the song of Sheriff...who would be....well...it could have been worse....
09.01.2023 - 19:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Even its 2007 but I post it here

Sex Pistols’ John Lydon targets Eurovision glory with ‘universal love song’

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/01/09/sex-pistols-frontman-john-lydon-compete-eurovision-place-pensive/
----

apos;'
[image]