Metal Storm logo
Songs You're Currently Learning To Play

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 25.05.2007 - 20:25
So what song[s] are you learning to play? Why do you choose that song to play? How easy/hard is it for you?

Im currently learning Crystal Mountain by Death. Its intermediate for me, I gotta keep up with speed and its helping my finger speed.
30.03.2011 - 04:20
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 04:09

Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 03:29

Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 03:24

Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 03:18

Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 02:53

I'm quite new to guitar, and currently learning the solo the Enter Sandman. It's supposed to be an easy solo... If learning this solo is so damn hard, then how hard will it be to learn Malmsteen stuff...

Keep at it! Remember the harder it is, the more rewarding when you finish! I actually started by learning 3-4 songs off Judas Priest's Painkiller album! So dont start to easy it takes more steps if you do.

I just learn what my teacher says to learn. Seeing as he's really good, and just sits there and sweep picks while he's telling me about something in a song, I'll trust him to lead me on the right path. Also, I played classical guitar since I was nine, so that helps also

Alright, on its way!

Well I have been playing 20 years myself, mind if I Email you an unedited solo clip I'm working on? Hell I just recorded it last night. This is the first of 3 mini solos in an instrumental, then 1 long solo.

Go for it, I'm curious to hear.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
30.03.2011 - 04:47
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 04:20

I'm quite new to guitar, and currently learning the solo the Enter Sandman. It's supposed to be an easy solo... If learning this solo is so damn hard, then how hard will it be to learn Malmsteen stuff...

Keep at it! Remember the harder it is, the more rewarding when you finish! I actually started by learning 3-4 songs off Judas Priest's Painkiller album! So dont start to easy it takes more steps if you do.

I just learn what my teacher says to learn. Seeing as he's really good, and just sits there and sweep picks while he's telling me about something in a song, I'll trust him to lead me on the right path. Also, I played classical guitar since I was nine, so that helps also

Alright, on its way!

Well I have been playing 20 years myself, mind if I Email you an unedited solo clip I'm working on? Hell I just recorded it last night. This is the first of 3 mini solos in an instrumental, then 1 long solo.

Nothing to special as far as melody goes(not tryin to be rude) but seeing as I enjoy chaotic soloing, it was quite nice. I particularly liked that little lick at about 6 seconds into it.
30.03.2011 - 04:51
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 04:47

Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 04:20

Alright, on its way!

Nothing to special as far as melody goes(not tryin to be rude) but seeing as I enjoy chaotic soloing, it was quite nice. I particularly liked that little lick at about 6 seconds into it.

Oh no nothing special, other than chaotic was it supposed to be, the song is 7 minutes and is supposed to begin chaotic and slowly progress into sometihng melodic and end with a solo that's a dual harmony. So you got what I was trying to express. Did you notice the tempo? lol I'll drop it to 272 when I record it for the song as that was me playing it for the first couple tries then recorded it.
----
"Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute." G B Stern
"Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while then a layer of scum float u
30.03.2011 - 04:53
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 04:51

Oh no nothing special, other than chaotic was it supposed to be, the song is 7 minutes and is supposed to begin chaotic and slowly progress into sometihng melodic and end with a solo that's a dual harmony. So you got what I was trying to express. Did you notice the tempo? lol I'll drop it to 272 when I record it for the song as that was me playing it for the first couple tries then recorded it.

Woah 292 That's fucking fast... Is there any other parts of the song that you have recorded?
30.03.2011 - 04:54
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 04:53

Woah 292 That's fucking fast... Is there any other parts of the song that you have recorded?

Not yet, I just finished writing the song, last night was the first time I even played it the entire way through, but when I'm done with the raw guitar recordings I'll certainly send it to you if you like. I like melody, etc etc, but I do like pushing the speed up as much as I can and my senes of techyness I admit far out ways my sense of harmony which is why I wish I had another guitarist to help write with maybe Agent steel type thrash, tech death or black metal al la Mictlantechulti/Melechesh. Hell I could even do some Bal-Sagoth type stuff. lol

Not sure I could pull off power/prog cept maybe something heavy as Communic.
----
30.03.2011 - 05:00
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 04:54

Not yet, I just finished writing the song, last night was the first time I even played it the entire way through, but when I'm done with the raw guitar recordings I'll certainly send it to you if you like. I like melody, etc etc, but I do like pushing the speed up as much as I can and my senes of techyness I admit far out ways my sense of harmony which is why I wish I had another guitarist to help write with maybe Agent steel type thrash, tech death or black metal al la Mictlantechulti/Melechesh. Hell I could even do some Bal-Sagoth type stuff. lol

Well good luck with your future musical endevaurs(fuck my spelling) and send me a recording when you have one
30.03.2011 - 05:04
Yasmine
Written by Guest on 30.03.2011 at 05:00

Written by Yasmine on 30.03.2011 at 04:54

Well good luck with your future musical endevaurs(fuck my spelling) and send me a recording when you have one

Why ty ty, I think I've got the skill for some quite techy stuff, which is what I truely love. A lot of that was sweep tapping hot cakes haha. Thanks for taking the time to listen.
----
05.04.2011 - 06:12
Sunioj
Haven't been here for awhile but wow this site looks different. It's kinda cool though...

ANYWAYS! I just learned how to play scrutinized and warpath by Hypocrisy on guitar and bass.. the songwriting is just genius, but practical in terms of scales and chords that they use. Probably the funnest songs I learned to play by ear besides Nightrage - Hero.
06.05.2011 - 22:03
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Exodus - Downfall,
this track is as groovy as it gets

----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
15.05.2011 - 20:48
Sangre Sani
Orion by Metallica. Tricky bitch.
15.05.2011 - 22:34
ANGEL REAPER
Believe or not i am working on a cover of a techno song "Sandstorm" by darude
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.05.2011 - 23:01
Sangre Sani
@up
Don't forget to post it here!
16.05.2011 - 01:43
Llort
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95Igw7SBYD8

Have to play the main theme for this bastard of a piece for an exam in two weeks. With hybrid picking at that. With that in mind, I should really get around to, er, learning it..
21.05.2011 - 07:52
Hylia
I just learned a Bal-Sagoth song called a Tale From the Deep Woods and Nightwish Gethsemane minus the solo part in Gethsemane (I am working on it) but on vacation without a guitar
21.05.2011 - 13:23
Llort
^THE RAVENS, ARE ON, THE WING!!!
09.09.2011 - 19:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Just learned "Earth On Hell" and "Fight Em' Til You Can't" by Anthrax. Might go for "The Devil You Know" next! hehe
10.09.2011 - 02:51
ferm
I'm learning Hammer Smashed face, Agent Orange and Here comes the sun, at the moment. I find that here comes the sun have a very tricky intro D:
10.09.2011 - 05:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by ferm on 10.09.2011 at 02:51
Here comes the sun, at the moment. I find that here comes the sun have a very tricky intro D:

Do you mean The Beatles' song Here Comes The Sun? If so, I can vouch for the fact it's a pretty tricky song to play! lol Once I nailed the intro though, the rest of the song comes together quickly for me.
11.09.2011 - 03:18
fabregassed
Account deleted
Still trying to learn tornado of souls solo... I can do the stretch part but I find the fast part at the end dificult... maybe because I cant reach the 24th fret because I have a 22
12.09.2011 - 18:06
Glaucus
I haven't sat myself down to learn a song in a long time... Instead I have been looking up different exercises to improve my alternate picking, at least to be able to pick and fret something more complicated than straight rhythm riffs.

Once I am back home I was going to rip open my collection of Metallica and try to learn Ride The Lightning... The whole album.

Figure there's enough in that album that goes across a number of different techniques to make it a worthy venture.

Plus, it's mother fucking Metallica.
----
"Pretty easy work, for a God." - Freya ~ Valkyrie Profile
14.09.2011 - 18:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Currently learning some songs from Set The World On Fire by Annihilator... Just finished learning Bats In The Belfry, which sounds surprisingly awesome in B tuning! xD
15.09.2011 - 01:14
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Immortal's Withstand The Fall Of Time. Not that hard, but it's good for trem picking and the picking hand in general. I want to cover it with drummer at school.
15.09.2011 - 14:32
Malphas
I recently got into learning malevolent creation songs, right now i'm working on "eve of the apocalypse" and i gotta say i thought their songs would be much harder to play, not saying i'm very good or something but the songs are kinda intermediate (i'm playing bass guitar...still my old one though :S i hope my new baby arrives soon)
----
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
19.09.2011 - 04:45
Void Eater
Account deleted
Currently learning Cowboy's From Hell. The oppening riff is freaking annoying; I keepon accidentally playing harmonics.
19.09.2011 - 12:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Pain Of Salvation's "Dedication"

Learning quite a few from them lately, even though I haven't played much.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
20.09.2011 - 21:10
ANGEL REAPER
Done some Ea lord of the depths by Burzum lately ...
Im going on As the Eternity Opens by Immortal...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
21.09.2011 - 17:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Some songs from "7 Sinners" by Helloween... currently on "Are You Metal?"
04.10.2011 - 00:03
Mattybu
Learning The Boys are Back in Town (Thin Lizzy), very fun tune, sounds nice and really great jam material.
05.10.2011 - 19:32
Learning "Hammer Smashed Face" on bass at the moment, I can play all of it, just need to practice to get it perfect! Very fun song to play on bass
----
THRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!
07.10.2011 - 20:04
Malevolent-Jim
I'm a bass noob so :

Green Day - Viva La Gloria
Devin Townsend Band - Suicide