Metal Storm logo
Your opinion on Smoking

26.05.2007 - 21:32
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
So, I was listening to a conversation about multi-million dollar corperations and stocks, when it suddenly dawned on me that I could open a thread about this.I notice that there are already a few smoke related threads on here, but there is no actual thread about the subject of smoking. This thread is basicly exactly what the title says, what is you oppinion about smoking? Be detailed, about things like smoking in public places, around children, age apropriate, whether or not you smoke, if it should even be allowed to continue legally.

As for my personal oppinion, I personally don't smoke, but I know lots of people that do. I have family that smokes, my parents smoke, I have friends that smoke, I witness people doing it every day, after school, in the park, at resteraunts, etc. The Way I see it, it is someones personal choice to smoke or not, and should be legal. However I choose not to smoke because in my oppinion choosing to do so is stupid, because you have to spend excess amounts of money on a habbit which is quite frankly useless, you can contract terminal illnesses, and it has a ridiculous amount of poisons in it. On the subject of poisons, I feel that th government should probably step in and remove all unnatural additives, and sell the tobaco as a pure product. I feel that it is quite frankly wrong to put addictive chemicals in a product to make it sell better. So I feel people would be a lot better off if that were a forced maneuver. On the subject of smoking around children, I don't think it's so bad really. I'm used to being around it and I don't smoke, so I don't see the big deal. I do have a problem with women smoking or being around smoke while pregnant though, because that damages and deforms fetuses, and I think to myself Fucking trash bitch when I see a pregnant woman smoking. Oddly enough my mother smoked when she was pregnant with me and I was lucky enough to come out only with Johndas. So this of course only further fuels my hatred for it.

So what about you guys?
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
26.05.2007 - 22:09
Achor
Account deleted
Of course, smoking is bad. I think everyone can agree with that. And if cigarettes were a new product being introduced today, it would definetily be illegal. I think its bad to smoke around children, because they can get used to it, and start smoking themselves later on, but also because of second hand smoking. I know a family who's dog actually died from second hand smoking cos the parents were smoking alot. So obviously, there's a risk.

It wouldnt work to illegalize it now, cos it would give us like millions of new criminals, but I'd be happy to see campaigns from the government to reduce the smoking in the society.
26.05.2007 - 23:04
tulkas
el parcero
well, first of all almost everyone around me smokes, from my family to my friends. here, it's not strage when someone smokes, it's actually strange when someone DOESN'T somke!

now, first, in the subjectof smoking around childer, i don't think it's right because of all the risks for the health of the children. i don't think they should have to put up with something that can harm them, just because someone is addicted to it.

also, from what i know, there are a lot products out there to cut out at least some big part of the bad 'stuff' cigarretes have, and also to make people quit. in this subject, i guess good thing have been done. and in terms of the governments doing their part, for example here in colombia cigarrete companies can't have advertisement on prime time tv, although there is publicity in the street and magazines. i wouldn't know who this works in other places...
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
26.05.2007 - 23:08
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 26.05.2007 at 22:09

It wouldnt work to illegalize it now, cos it would give us like millions of new criminals, but I'd be happy to see campaigns from the government to reduce the smoking in the society.

Actually in the united states there are plenty of campaigns being launched to stop smoking.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

26.05.2007 - 23:54
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
And also, this basicly sums up my oppinion of a parent smoking around their children
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI8oWAp8jF8
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.05.2007 - 00:50
darksun
so i may seem like an idiot (as a guy who takes anti-depressans daily to calm down and drink a lot) but i still have the idea that smoking is the most harmful thing that a person can do him/herself.Cuz the ones i do only harmful for myself,while smoking can cause sicknesses for the passive smokers.
----
Dark is the sunlight,we cast the life together
Dark is the sunlight or I'm blind forever..
27.05.2007 - 00:56
Ernis
狼獾
@Arian Totalis....May I ask one thing....What is Johndas?

About smoking...yes I do smoke, but I amn't a chain smoker...being without smoking isn't a huge problem for me...though....I tend to miss smoking from time to time if I have been without for a longer amount of time....
Of course...I wouldn't smoke in a small room where children are...and of course....perhaps I'd quit if I'm lucky to have children one day....it wouldn't be very nice to be a smoking parent....but who knows.....
27.05.2007 - 01:21
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
ewww. i think it's repulsive. i mean black&mild, and marijuana isn't that bad......but like cigarettes are GROSS!!! i hate to smoke though it feels uncomfortable! so much coughing.
27.05.2007 - 03:03
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
@Arian Totalis: yes, I saw those campaigns to stop smoking in TV when I visited the US and I was really surprised, I never saw such thing.

Ok, as for my opinion, everyone is free to decide wheter smoking or not, but imo, the habit is useless, everyone agree that smoking harm your health and other people health too, and wastes your money, so, why the hell someone would take the habit? I don't have that answer, as everyone has his/her own version. The issue of smoking is quite complicated, each one has his/her.
About smoking in public places I think that this should be forbidden, if someone doesn't care about harming his/her health, that person should respect others. I remember when I was in Switzerland, everyone could smoke in restaurants, cafes... and that was horrible, and in Egypt it was even worst.
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
27.05.2007 - 04:48
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Ernis on 27.05.2007 at 00:56

@Arian Totalis....May I ask one thing....What is Johndas?

Well, I don't know too much about it, all I know is that it means I was born with yellow skin and I was sick for a while. That's all I know really, I'm better now.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

27.05.2007 - 08:09
Sunioj
I want to quit, its a waste of money and health, but right now Im just too bored to give up....I need a way to quit, my dad smokes and his health sux, his teeth are all screwed up and he looks older then he is.
27.05.2007 - 08:48
Lupas
Maximus
I don't smoke . Why? Cause people that use to smoke , smells like shit miles away from you, it turn white teeth into yellow ones, short one's life, cause several illness , turns fingers yellow, etc etc
About a year or so , here in my country , was introduce a law that prohibted smoke in public places like resturant, pubs, etc. I perfectly agree with this. I hate when someone next to me in a resturant starts smoking while i'm still eating. If someone wants to smoke he must go outside even if its raining . Also my cloths smell freashly now after a gig . At first it was very difficult for smokers but by time it use to be a normal thing and when a foreginer smoke a cigarette in resturant everyone looks as he is doing a crime ( even he can get a fine about 20euros )
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
27.05.2007 - 09:03
Fhuesc
I completely disaprove smoking, been a nonsmoker i fucking hate when someone starts to smoke near me. I dont care if the smoker person gets cancer or expends a lot of money, i only care that their fucking smoke doesnt bother me at all.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
27.05.2007 - 23:06
Dark Stalker
I'm angry anti-smoker , but i have to tolerate smokers , 'cause they are majority . As person with medical education , i think that smoking patient is very good ... for a very greedy doctor . Such patient will have lot of diseases , will never cure and will die painfully.
for me smokers are inferior to non smokers. It causes much problems to me ....
----
In luck we trust!
27.05.2007 - 23:26
Stigmatized
Smoking may be a serious risk to your health, but everyone knows that, and yet some still choose to do it. It's a personal choice, and no one can decide for anyone else.
27.05.2007 - 23:41
APOHAKC
The Bard
I never smoke in front of non smokers, unless they give me thier approval, I never smoke in front of children and sick people... I already wrote that on other smoking threads. Anyway, about money, the great sum of money is circulating in the smoking business. I know few people who gain millions of euros buy smuggling cigaretts, but buying cigaretts is good way to strenghten your country economy, of cause if you smoke your country home made label, at least something good came from cigaretts
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
28.05.2007 - 03:35
Fhuesc
Written by Stigmatized on 27.05.2007 at 23:26

Smoking may be a serious risk to your health, but everyone knows that, and yet some still choose to do it. It's a personal choice, and no one can decide for anyone else.

I agree that if them want to die, for me better, less people in this crowded world, but i dont think thats fair for the non smoker that the smokers decide for them.
----
Until victory, always!
28.05.2007 - 15:04
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
In my opinion smoking is one of the most stupid ways to destroy one's health. People just don't seem to care about their health... Just thinking about smoking something that includes 4000 different toxins and some dog shit, makes me want to puke. But for me it's the same in case someone wants to shorten his lifetime by smoking, it's their own choice. But it's hypocrite to start demanding millions of dollars from a tobacco company because "they didn't tell me it can cause cancer". The thing I cant stand is when smokers don't care about other people around them. For instance having to breathe cigarette smoke can be a trigger to and asthma attack for me, so I really hate it when someone lights a cigarette next to me. The least they could do is to go and smoke away from the people who don't want to smoke...
----
You'll never walk alone.
28.05.2007 - 17:12
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Whoa whoa whoa people, calm down. Gosh, your intelectualism is gonna make me look really small here

So, smoking. Ok, I have been a chain smoker for 6 years now and here, ladies and gentelmen, are the facts:
- over the past 6 years I have spent like so much money... I could probably buy a car by now with it. BUT I chose not to and I still choose to give 2 euros every day for my pack of cigarettes. Pure stupidity, but that's what I do.
- yes, I destroy myself. Oppose to that, I jog every second day, trying to do something good for my health. Now that's just lame, you can't jog and meditate and do yoga, and then on the other side drink, SMOKE and such. Yea, I do that. It has no logical basis at all, but hey.
- raping people who can't stand the smoke! ARGH this is my personal favourite When going on a cup of coffee, I'm ALWAYS surrounded by smokers. So no biggie there. When at home, I go and light a cigarette outside on the balcony, I never and I mean NEVER (unless if there is a party and we all aree smoking is allowed inside) smoke inside. So, if anyone is bothered by smoke in cafes - go to the non smoking department. If you are bothered because outside someone is smoking close to you, just go away.

So there, I'm causing a great damage to my organism, I spend money unnecessarily bla bla bla bla. Still, it's freaking my decision. Anyway, we'll get a new law in Slovenia soon - smoking will be prohibited in cafes, restaurants and social events. Great. Well, I say f*ck you.

If you mind that I light a ciharette next to you, don't be a puss and whine about it, tell the person. I have always put out a fag if someone asked me to because he/she minded, if I didn't have the chance to move away. And what's wrong with having smoking and non smoking departments in cafes?

And as BJ Cunningham said: ''Don't you dare tell me to stop.'' I'm enjoying every breath or every cigarette I smoke and I will, until I will decide it's time to stop.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
28.05.2007 - 21:29
Pinusar
Account deleted
I don't smoke myself, because I don't like it anyway, and it is harful to health aswell, and I don't have a need for it, so I see no point in becoming addicted to it, as I will then probably look back at the days when I didn't want to smoke and regret it. But who knows, maybe I will start smoking soon.

When I tried to make some propaganda to my friend about the harmful effects of smoking, dying sooner and such shit, he said "From the moment you're born, you're dying", and as he prefers to smoke and doesn't really care about damaging health that much then, because no one lives forever anyway and one might aswell enjoy what this life has to give I see no problem with smoking, it is everyone's personal preference. Its just that I don't see any real point in it, and I prefer not to screw up my health.

When someone smokes near you, I think it is his own business, if I were a smoker, I wouldn't smoke near non-smoking people, but if someone prefers to smoke, then I think that going away is more reasonable, because starting to whine about it would be restricting his freedom. In situations, where neither has the opportuinity to go away, I think that when a non-smoker asks to stop smoking, the smoker should, because he would be damaging other's health without permission but it probably is still up to the smoker to make the decision

29.05.2007 - 00:49
Sunioj
I smoke I, I enjoy it, and I dont give a fuck if Im smoking around someone outdoors...indoors is another case, or around children...yes smoking is terrible, stupid, etc. but what doesnt give you cancer these days? People die of the most random shit these days, I dont even care if I dont make it past 60. I'd rather smoke to my content, then to be a healthy person and nuked by one of Israel's neighbors and not enjoy some of the simpler things in life...
29.05.2007 - 05:25
Fhuesc
@AnGina--: thats my problem with the smokers, they are so selfish like you, why nonsmokers should go away . It makes me angry the people like you. I hope that they pass that law and the only place where youll be able to smoke is in your house.

@Hellraizer: i dont care if a die, by my own means or by others. And yes now a days everything cause cancer. The problem i that i fucking hate the cigarret smoke, if the smoke smells like flowers i wouldnt have a problem.
----
Until victory, always!
29.05.2007 - 05:34
Sunioj
Written by Fhuesc on 29.05.2007 at 05:25

@AnGina--: thats my problem with the smokers, they are so selfish like you, why nonsmokers should go away . It makes me angry the people like you. I hope that they pass that law and the only place where youll be able to smoke is in your house.

@Hellraizer: i dont care if a die, by my own means or by others. And yes now a days everything cause cancer. The problem i that i fucking hate the cigarret smoke, if the smoke smells like flowers i wouldnt have a problem.

I feel ya, I respect that...but dont you think that owners of pubs or bars should be able to have the right to chose if their bar is a smoking bar? If I interpret wrongly let me know...
29.05.2007 - 06:03
Fhuesc
Written by Sunioj on 29.05.2007 at 05:34

I feel ya, I respect that...but dont you think that owners of pubs or bars should be able to have the right to chose if their bar is a smoking bar? If I interpret wrongly let me know...

mmm. tought question... the problem here is that many places (restaurants, cafes, etc) will complaint "why bars are able to decide and we dont", so in order to avoid that, yes bar shouldnt be a smoke places
----
Until victory, always!
29.05.2007 - 06:24
Sunioj
I dont agree, but I see your point though. Thing is alot of pubs from new york to rome have been having this issue and the state wont let them have that right. But I guess it has to do with the differrentiation between a pub and a restaurant, because some have both.
29.05.2007 - 07:42
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@Hellraizer and Fhuesc: Think about it guys. Bars are a place of loud music, vice, and drunken Debotchery. If someone goes into a bar, well for the gods sake, they should expect ciggerette smoke. It's a place where people go to get wasted and have one night stands, it's also a place where ciggerette smoke is expected to be. So don't you think that if a non-smoker is stupid enough to go into a bar, they should at least put up with it or leave?
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

29.05.2007 - 11:03
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix

That was the exact point I wanted to hit. Yes, I understand it bothers you. Do you know just how many things bother me? Gazzilions. I am severely bothered by the smell of meat for example, it smells to me horribly, but I have never ever said a person eating it next to me to stop eat it. I went away, if I felt that it has reached my tolerance of smell.

Yes, the law is really gonna kick my ass, but I will remain a selfish bitch.

That's because I'm walking on pins and needles.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
29.05.2007 - 11:46
priestess_666
Smoking is a serious risk to your health and harm also the pepole around you. i think mant time you start becouse society pressure and after you start its hard to stop
----
priestess of the dark side
29.05.2007 - 18:49
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Just glad that in my state of Tasmania, smoking in clubs/pubs/resturants and other indoor areas is banned. When I went over to a different state - Victoria, I was suprised that they were aloud to smoke indoors in the pubs. Took me the next day to work out that we have different laws reguarding the boundries of where your allowed to smoke.

Also, when we went to this other bar where metal was being played and i was more relax, just being around other people that were smoking in a smokey room gave me want to have a cigarette... and i dont even smoke nor wanted to!!
----

Hellcunt Smurf
29.05.2007 - 19:38
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
@ AnGina-- I understand your point. Usually when there's someone next to me smoking I choose to go away and don't start whining about it, since it's easier that way. Just why is it always the non-smokers that have to go away? But if there's enough space for a smoker to stand 10 meters away from me, I don't get it, why they always seem to come so near that they can blow the smoke on other people's faces. Do they enjoy that? I'm so glad that smoking will be banned in all bars here starting in the beginning of June. No more stinking clothes and hair after the night at a bar.
----
You'll never walk alone.