Metal Storm logo
Your Favorite Christian Metal Band?

Original post

Posted by Dane Train, 30.05.2007 - 22:36
The Christian message is an ever-growing theme in Metal. From the early days it was looked at like a fluke, but now some of the biggest bands in Metal have Christian members, like, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and Dream Theater.

But there are those bands which put their faith in Jesus Christ at the forefront of the their music, and those are the bands that I wanted to poll. I picked what I thought were the 8 most popular bands from this faith, but left the "other" option just in case there are other choices. This list just deals with regular Metal bands, and not the Metalcore scene, which is heavily populated with Christian bands. So please don't pick "other" if your choice is a Metalcore band.

So, please pick your favorite, and tell us a little bit as to why.

For me, I have to go with Living Sacrifice. While Stryper is will always hold a place in my heart, Living Sacrifice is still my pick. Their albums are all solid releases filled with some brutal music and powerful lyrics. Even since their break up they're still noted as being a huge force is the Christian music scene.

Poll

Which Christian Metal band is your favorite?

other, please do tell...
Stryper
Extol
Living Sacrifice
Tourniquet
Mortification
Saviour Machine
Immortal Souls
Lengsel

Total votes: 206
08.01.2012 - 22:17
vezzy
Stallmanite
Tourniquet aren't that unknown at all. Tbh, I haven't listened to them much at all, so I don't remember anything from them.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
12.01.2012 - 06:33
Guib
Thrash Talker
Don't know if I already posted here but whatever I said... Now my choice would be Sympathy no doubt, Christian Technical Death Metal band from Canada, saskatchewan. Crazy shit I tell you. so its a ''other'' vote
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
12.01.2012 - 07:29
metaleaterr
abstract_bliss
I agree with Boxcar Willy. Demon hunter is my favorite Christian metal band (Lifewar ). Apart from them, As I Lay Dying, Old Scar Symmetry , Blind Guardian(I know it's disagreeable but has Christian themes), August Burns Red , Inhale Exhale, Whitechapel to name a few.
18.01.2012 - 15:44
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.05.2011 at 14:57

Written by Slayer666 on 16.05.2011 at 14:44

Written by X-Ray Rod on 16.05.2011 at 11:05

This is fucking beautiful.

Tell me about it. Christianity has never been more fun.

Even if it wasn't about christianity I would still laugh my ass off at the discussion. It's priceless.

Dammit, where was I during this!!

It seemed like I posted here just before the shit hit the fan
It's funny how people judge other people just by a certain stereotype or what they've heard from the tube or the media.

Its like me saying, that all black men have big dicks, can play basketball and love chicken, all indians wear turbans and speak indian or all swedish women are sluts.
I mean thats pretty much what you hear right? I love stereotypes, its awesome to make fun off and perfect for jokes, but when you do take them seriously and judge everyone by it, thats kinda fucked up. Judging a whole religion by the action of a few people is stupid.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
19.01.2012 - 17:27
Pondscum
The best thing Christianity ever gave us was Chick-fil-a.

Seriously though, Vengeance Rising was a pretty kick ass Christian metal band. I recall "Once Dead" was a killer album. Not sure how well it's stood the test of time though.
19.01.2012 - 21:09
Wyrd
Not sure how popular they are, but the black metal band "Crimson Moonlight" are my personal favorite christian. Besides being a christian metal band, they also demonstrate great musicianship in terms of guitar work, drumming, song structure, and they also have pretty well writen lyrics as well
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
19.01.2012 - 21:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Crimson Moonlight is a well-known band to any kvlt black metal fan since they embody the opposite of the original black metal philosophy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
20.01.2012 - 10:48
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.01.2012 at 21:23

Crimson Moonlight is a well-known band to any kvlt black metal fan since they embody the opposite of the original black metal philosophy.

Crimson Moonlight are evidence that God triumphs over Satan... uh, no, but they're still pretty good. They and Crimson Thorn are my fave Christmetal bands.

Also, buh-bye, Troy.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
23.02.2012 - 19:49
Codera the Great
Account deleted
Antestor is a christian black metal band that i really enjoy.
27.02.2012 - 06:29
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Vardøger will probably always be my favorite Christian metal band even though they only released a demo and then fell into obscurity.

02.03.2012 - 14:57
thewaytonever
I chose other since I have always dug Zao for some reason beyond my ability to explain. That being said Undeceived by Extol was a fantastic album
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
07.09.2012 - 09:49
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of Christian metal you'll find, I do like me some Mortification! Especially their 1992 release "Scrolls of the Megilloth". if you weren't old they were a christian metal band before listening to this album (and you weren't following along with the lyrics), you probably wouldn't have guessed it. It's a brutal slab of death metal with some grindcore influences. Great stuff. \m/
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.11.2012 - 13:41
Ethan1994
My favourite is Virgin Black. But other Christian bands that I really like are: Saviour Machine, Antestor, Demon Hunter (and I don't give a crap if you don't like Metalcore!), Crimson Moonlight, Theocracy, Flyleaf and Paramaecium.
10.10.2013 - 07:08
kvtie-pie
Virgin Black is my favorite as well.
10.10.2013 - 09:35
Damn, I've actually never heard any Christian Metal Bands. Seems like that poll is a good way to get me started.

Oh wait, I guess some of August Burns Red counts, although I haven't really sat down and listened to their music.
----
"You travel within the glory of my memories, insect. I can feel your fear as you tread the endless expanse of my mind. Make yourself comfortable... before long I will decorate my home with your carcass."
17.10.2013 - 20:19
Mad Arab666
I do like virgin black quite a lot as well.
Saviour machine I also enjoy.
----
Bring up the wolves head!
17.10.2013 - 20:24
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Virgin Black, Morphia
----
The Fangirl.
17.10.2013 - 21:35
no one
Account deleted
Are there any decent BM christian bands. Might have been mentioned already but i don't know of any christian bands so cant tell by name, plus i can't be bothered looking at all 19 pages
17.10.2013 - 21:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
That would have to be Trouble
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2013 - 22:22
angel.
Evil Butterfly
BTW how about Pantheist ? is that Christian metal band ?
----
The Fangirl.
17.10.2013 - 22:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by angel. on 17.10.2013 at 22:22

BTW how about Pantheist ? is that Christian metal band ?

nope, even though Kostas does use Christian themes in the lyrical appraoch. But the band isn't Christian
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2013 - 22:42
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.10.2013 at 22:40

nope, even though Kostas does use Christian themes in the lyrical appraoch. But the band isn't Christian

that's why I asked because of the lyrical approaches, and also it's somewhat contradictory to the name of band, I'm not sure why they use this name and those approaches in the lyrics
----
The Fangirl.
17.10.2013 - 23:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 17.10.2013 at 21:35

Are there any decent BM christian bands. Might have been mentioned already but i don't know of any christian bands so cant tell by name, plus i can't be bothered looking at all 19 pages

Magog aka Evangelium (Swedish) also there was Crimson (I dont remebner name ) but 1th album was BM whit Crytsian theme , Elbaggog (polish band ) I and Lucas made int whit member
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.10.2013 - 00:47
Lady GaGa
Account deleted
Underoath
18.10.2013 - 01:24
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 17.10.2013 at 23:59

Magog aka Evangelium (Swedish) also there was Crimson (I dont remebner name ) but 1th album was BM whit Crytsian theme , Elbaggog (polish band ) I and Lucas made int whit member

are you a christian ?
18.10.2013 - 02:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.10.2013 at 01:24

Written by Bad English on 17.10.2013 at 23:59

are you a christian ?

why do you ask?
I dont know anymore who and what I am
----

apos;'
[image]
18.10.2013 - 04:01
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Vengeance Rising is pretty good, don't know if you could consider them Christian anymore seeing as how Roger Martinez is an atheist now.
18.10.2013 - 05:33
no one
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 18.10.2013 at 02:07

why do you ask?

i thought you were saying you were in a christian band , must have read your gibberish wrong
Quote:

that means you are probably nobody or no one like me
18.10.2013 - 13:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 18.10.2013 at 05:33

Written by Bad English on 18.10.2013 at 02:07

why do you ask?

i thought you were saying you were in a christian band , must have read your gibberish wrong
Quote:

that means you are probably nobody or no one like me

I am not in the band, I said I and Lucas made email int whit Jerek Fire
----

apos;'
[image]
26.10.2013 - 20:47
Wukk
Here's some great underground stuff that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Vials of Wrath (atmoblack/hipsterblack)
Feast Eternal ("a more melodic Bolt Thrower", as I've heard them described)
Monotheist (progressive death; wide variety of influences like Extol/Suffocation/Emperor/Opeth)
A Hill To Die Upon (blackened death; essentially a Christian Behemoth, with excellent vocals)

My favourite? There's a long list, but I think Extol and Theocracy probably top it since both music and lyrics are top notch. If any of the four I just posted end up releasing a lot of new material, it may just end up being one of them.
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator