Metal Storm logo
Trip Hop

31.05.2007 - 16:21
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
So I just wanted to know if there are any other Trip Hop fans here. For those of you who don't know what Trip Hop is, also called Bristol Acid Rap, it is style of music based upon hip hop instrumentals with tempo changes, jazz beats, dark, moody, ambient sounds, and other instruments. It tend to be very lo-fi analog recording in nature.

For me, my favorite artists of this genre are Massive Attack, Portishead, DJ Shadow, Lamb and UNKLE.

How about you guys?
----
(space for rent)
01.06.2007 - 19:28
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I've heard Porstishead, Hooverphonic and some Massive Attack songs, and I like the music, just that I don't listen to these bands often.
Btw, have you heard Air? Do they play trip-hop?
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
03.06.2007 - 09:10
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I like DJ Shadow, but as for other trip hop, I'm afraid I'm quite inexperienced. I would mroe then happily check some out though!
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
03.06.2007 - 12:28
iaberis
Advice Troll
I've heard about the existence of trip-hop but never actually heard some... I should do it one day...
----
Bitch! Please
04.06.2007 - 22:36
Bitch Boy
There are a couple of trip hop bands I like a lot: Faultline and Portishead, and also have heard a couple of songs from Unkle. I'll come back for some recommendations.
06.06.2007 - 22:00
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by iaberis on 03.06.2007 at 12:28

I've heard about the existence of trip-hop but never actually heard some... I should do it one day...

I would highly recommend getting some Massive Attack.
----
(space for rent)
09.10.2007 - 23:25
Damnated
Churchburner
*bump*

I've recently gotten a litter deeper into trip-hop. and i liked it. my fav band has to be Massive Attack, mostly because of their 100th window. I've been hooked on that album for several weeks. so monotonous and hypnotic.. aww.

also checked out Portishead and some other acts such as Tricky, but i didn't really like those. trip-hop is pretty much Massive Attack, imo.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
10.10.2007 - 23:19
Asphyxia
Account deleted
There are some people I know in my area that make this kind of music, but I've never been into it myself.
11.10.2007 - 08:11
tulkas
el parcero
well, i had heard the name, but didn't know the type of music it was. althugh i had heard massive attack, but didn't know wich genre it was, haha.
but i have to say i've only listened to massive attack, and i like it. i'll have to check out the other bands
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
12.10.2007 - 21:28
TXRocker4Life
Account deleted
Trip hop is one cool genre, Sneaker Pimps and Hooverphonic are my faves. I first heard Sneaker Pimps in Dogtown and ZBoys doc, the Six Underground song, that pretty much got me into Trip Hop
21.10.2007 - 19:22
Damnated
Churchburner
i'm just listening to dj shadow right now.. and .. wow. i'm speechless atm
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
06.12.2007 - 20:08
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Damnated on 21.10.2007 at 19:22

Have you heard the album Psyence Fiction? It is an album DJ Shadow did with UNKLE. Really good stuff.
----
(space for rent)
06.12.2007 - 20:28
Deadsoulman
Elite
DJ Shadow and Hooverphonics are pretty cool indeed, but I'm finding myself hooked to the point of no return on Archive's first album, Londinium. I think it might the best album in the genre that I've ever heard. It seriously beats the shit out of any Portishead and Massive Attack, even if I love these bands as well.
06.12.2007 - 21:23
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Dane Train on 06.12.2007 at 20:08

Written by Damnated on 21.10.2007 at 19:22

Have you heard the album Psyence Fiction? It is an album DJ Shadow did with UNKLE. Really good stuff.

no, i'll check it it out.

this reminds me to recommend Bonobo. The music is usually trip-hop mixed with down tempo and chillout. it has a very warm, almost playful sound. His album, Dial 'M' for Monkey is simply amazing.
----

08.12.2007 - 17:08
Darktonny
Account deleted
I just heard some Portishead songs and I found them very good. I also listened to few Massive Attack songs. I'm very attracted to this kind of music, but I have to listen to more in order to have an opinion.
09.12.2007 - 23:29
Damnated
Churchburner
never understood what people saw in Portishead, when there are far better acts out there.
----

13.12.2007 - 18:23
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by Damnated on 09.12.2007 at 23:29

never understood what people saw in Portishead, when there are far better acts out there.

I guess it's those great, emotional songs such as "Roads" on the Dummy album that make people like them. That and the fact that they're better known than the rest because they had a lot of airplay. While there's some songs that I find quite dull, altogether I think they're fine, though I like Massive Attack or Archive better.
03.01.2008 - 17:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Deadsoulman on 13.12.2007 at 18:23

Written by Damnated on 09.12.2007 at 23:29

I guess it's those great, emotional songs such as "Roads" on the Dummy album that make people like them. That and the fact that they're better known than the rest because they had a lot of airplay. While there's some songs that I find quite dull, altogether I think they're fine, though I like Massive Attack or Archive better.

Yeah I would agree there. I mean, if we compare it to Metal, why do more people know Ozzy than Pain of Salvation? I think Lamb is a much better band than Portishead, but most people don't know Lamb. This is not to say that Portishead is a band band, because they're not. They are so good, but yes, can be a bit dull at times, as you said.
----
(space for rent)
03.01.2008 - 20:54
Damnated
Churchburner
Lamb irritates me, tbh. also, you guys should check out Sunday Munich. it' has a very hypnotic, sometimes deranged sound, not sweet or poppy at all.
----

04.01.2008 - 00:34
Ellie
Account deleted
So Ive never heard this type of music..but now Im really interested. I listen to a little hip hop/rap.
04.01.2008 - 02:28
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Author on 04.01.2008 at 00:34

So Ive never heard this type of music..but now Im really interested. I listen to a little hip hop/rap.

I love good hip hop as well, but Trip Hop is different. I would actually recommend getting on Youtube and looking up some of these bands to understand what they're all about. You might really like some.
----
(space for rent)
04.01.2008 - 04:01
Ellie
Account deleted
Written by Dane Train on 04.01.2008 at 02:28

Written by Author on 04.01.2008 at 00:34

I love good hip hop as well, but Trip Hop is different. I would actually recommend getting on Youtube and looking up some of these bands to understand what they're all about. You might really like some.

Oh rad..well I downloaded something today and havent listened to it yet..but I think it will turn out being kind of like Girl Talk or a band like that. Anyways ya thanks I will for sure youtube some of it!
05.01.2008 - 11:31
Omni
Account deleted
The only Trip Hop acts I've heard have been Massive Attack and Portishead but I love them both. It seems to be quite strange genre to define though. Some acts I presumed were Trip Hop...apparently aren't. Go figure.

What are some of the key albums of the genre you all reckon? Quite interested...
28.01.2008 - 21:25
Damnated
Churchburner
just discovered iLya. their album 'poise is the greater architect' is simply amazing. dark trip-hop with stressed guitars.
----

17.10.2008 - 13:34
Yossarian
As you can see there are many trip hop fans here. My favourite are Portishead, but Mezzanine is so fantastic. Try to find Senser "Asylum" I think you will enjoy them.
08.12.2008 - 00:38
Gigginova
Account deleted
I first heard "Roads" - Portishead last night, gorgeous, nice ambient effects.
I'm looking into it more now with the help of this thread
08.12.2008 - 07:51
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Damnated on 09.10.2007 at 23:25

also checked out Portishead and some other acts such as Tricky, but i didn't really like those. trip-hop is pretty much Massive Attack, imo.

i was suprised that this is the only tim in the thread that Tricky has been named, considering he's one of the 'big guys' of trip-hop, actually i read somewhere that he was like one of the 'fathers' of trip hop.
i'd get you (damnated) when you say that you didn't like tricky, but i kinda have found that he's just tough to understand, his music i mean (i'm not saying you're stupid or anything, btw ), imo it requires some time and a couple of listens and maybe then you'll like it; i did.
and like you say, massive attac is pretty much all trip hop, or at least my fav
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
08.12.2008 - 10:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by tulkas on 08.12.2008 at 07:51

i was suprised that this is the only tim in the thread that Tricky has been named, considering he's one of the 'big guys' of trip-hop, actually i read somewhere that he was like one of the 'fathers' of trip hop.
i'd get you (damnated) when you say that you didn't like tricky, but i kinda have found that he's just tough to understand, his music i mean (i'm not saying you're stupid or anything, btw ), imo it requires some time and a couple of listens and maybe then you'll like it; i did.

Tricky started in Massive Attack, so yes he is one of founders of the genre.
since i posted that i came across some very interesting trip-hop acts, such as Bowery Electric, Halou and Sunday Munich to name just a few. these have the same dark, hypnotic feeling of Massive Attack. recommended.
----

09.12.2008 - 07:00
Stigmatized
Written by Damnated on 08.12.2008 at 10:19

Written by tulkas on 08.12.2008 at 07:51

Tricky started in Massive Attack, so yes he is one of founders of the genre.
since i posted that i came across some very interesting trip-hop acts, such as Bowery Electric, Halou and Sunday Munich to name just a few. these have the same dark, hypnotic feeling of Massive Attack. recommended.

I've been wondering about Bowery Electric. Since you recommended them I'll check them out.
09.12.2008 - 11:00
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Stigmatized on 09.12.2008 at 07:00

I've been wondering about Bowery Electric. Since you recommended them I'll check them out.

Check out their Lush Life then. The other albums are rather weak imo.
----