Metal Storm logo
Death metal vocals

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 19.06.2007 - 23:17
I have been trying to get some vocals sort of between Vader and Meshuggah but i cant do it and if i do i cant keep it up for long, any tips on how to scream/growl like this would be greatly appreciated.
22.05.2008 - 02:38
Ferret
Account deleted
Yeah, false vocal chords is the way to go.
Much less strain on your throat.
Also, the thing she (^) said about contracting your abdo. muscles and breathing with your stomach works great too.
Also, green tea with honey is great for your throat.
And remember to stay hydrated. Doing these kinds of vocals with a dry mouth/throat hurts and its much easier to cause damage.
24.05.2008 - 19:19
Berfones
Written by Lord TJ on 06.05.2008 at 19:36

Whats the source?

Well if you permanently fuck up your voice, im sure you'll never forget all the fun it took to do that which you live with for the rest of your life. Totally worth it isn't it?

the source is any science show in the world, every mazochist and sadist in the world, and the fact the pain and fun are in the same palce in the brain
and yes, it worth it. I rather live a full life and die when I'm 20 than trying my all life to find a way how to live forever that I forget to actually live
----
Thine truly,ancient evil overlord
05.06.2008 - 13:48
+NoName+
You can visit www.angelagossow.com and go for ''Vocal Advice''. It's a question & answer section. It's extremely useful. I'm a girl and Angela's advice really helped me do my growls right. You can also contact Angela via myspace. She answers all the messages personally... I know it 'cause she has already answered mine and it really helped!

Go for it! And also go here :
- http://metaltabs.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-25455.html
- http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Harsh-Death-Metal-Vocals

I've also heard that Melissa Cross' ''Zen of Screaming'' I & II DVD are an amazing help. You can order it at www.melissacross.com

Good luck
12.06.2008 - 19:46
Lord TJ
Written by +NoName+ on 05.06.2008 at 13:48

You can visit www.angelagossow.com and go for ''Vocal Advice''. It's a question & answer section. It's extremely useful. I'm a girl and Angela's advice really helped me do my growls right. You can also contact Angela via myspace. She answers all the messages personally... I know it 'cause she has already answered mine and it really helped!

You do know Angela uses distortion in her vocals right?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
13.06.2008 - 00:41
Dagorwen
doesn't Shagrath use effects too? he keeps on growling so long, it seems unpossible, I'll never be able to growl so long without breathing (and even without growling). I sometimes wonder if I'm not trying to reach an unhuman level, he must use effects! (Arch Enemy's songs are much easier)
13.06.2008 - 00:53
Svartlock
It seems like most of the good good growlers ( e.g Georgoe Fisher, Angela Gossow I think, and many hardcore people I have heard.) growled wrong and too hard in the beginning so they fucked up they're throats, but I have heard that the throat will be conditioned, if one have taking a rest from growling so the throat can recover.
13.06.2008 - 02:01
Varegan
Hamranakara
Written by Dagorwen on 13.06.2008 at 00:41

doesn't Shagrath use effects too? he keeps on growling so long, it seems unpossible, I'll never be able to growl so long without breathing (and even without growling). I sometimes wonder if I'm not trying to reach an unhuman level, he must use effects! (Arch Enemy's songs are much easier)

I think its because volume of lungs is different in women, you must increase it by swimming or running...
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
13.06.2008 - 14:53
Dagorwen
you're right, I kinda stoped my sport training with all the work for school going on!
13.06.2008 - 17:45
+NoName+
Written by Lord TJ on 12.06.2008 at 19:46

Written by +NoName+ on 05.06.2008 at 13:48

You do know Angela uses distortion in her vocals right?

I don't know if she uses distortion or not...She herself has answered such questions and she said that she uses the stuff, which have to do with vocals, that ALL growlers use...And i think she mentioned that she doesnt use distortion...The truth is that her vocals crearly are not the same in Doomsday Machine compared to Wages of Sin for example... But distortion doesnt make a growl...It just makes it sound different... Angela can growl..You can realize it from Arch Enemy's new album Rise of the Tyrant where she does her vocals as she does them live. No distortion, no effects...
But girls can growl , too And even without distortion (im speaking generally now, i dont know what Angela is doing)
13.06.2008 - 19:18
FOOCK Nam
I practiced growling, my voice is harsh more or less. But then one day I was practice growling very much, my throat, it hurts and then it become weaker with less harsh and now I have not been reach my harsh vocal back again.
13.06.2008 - 20:34
AiwiAstwihad
AiryanaKhvarenah
----
You who will come to the surface
From the flood that's overwhelmed us and drowned us all
Must think, when you speak of our weakness in times of darkness
That you've not had to face
13.06.2008 - 23:32
ANGEL REAPER
THANKS FOR LINKS Keyser Söze !!!
They were helpful a lot!!

----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
20.06.2008 - 19:36
Lord TJ
I notice if I do grunts and use a little bit of my voice, I get a better sound and I don't feel as much pain, I still feel a slight amount of pain but its no stinging or anything like that, just something I feel. Is this dangerous?
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

10.07.2008 - 21:52
Svartlock
Written by Lord TJ on 20.06.2008 at 19:36

I notice if I do grunts and use a little bit of my voice, I get a better sound and I don't feel as much pain, I still feel a slight amount of pain but its no stinging or anything like that, just something I feel. Is this dangerous?

Im not an expert but I have heard that if you rest enough after growling your throat should get used to anything.
10.07.2008 - 22:44
Lord TJ
Does anyone know of any professional death metal band vocalists that have a video explaining how they do it or something like that?
----

27.07.2008 - 22:32
ANGEL REAPER
Well my growl every day sound better,it don't hurt ,but i still got practice a lot- specially on loudness,stamina and melodic parts"of the job".
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
04.08.2008 - 01:52
thesabbathfan
I don't know any of the technical terms for screaming/growling - other than that it's called a guttural growl - but I practiced a lot along to Sword Chant by Ensiferum and it's second nature now to me.
----
04.08.2008 - 19:45
Lord TJ
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 27.07.2008 at 22:32

Well my growl every day sound better,it don't hurt ,but i still got practice a lot- specially on loudness,stamina and melodic parts"of the job".

My goal is to get an evil deep growl, kind of like Behemoth in this present time (not their black metal era).
----

18.08.2008 - 23:13
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Lord TJ on 04.08.2008 at 19:45

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 27.07.2008 at 22:32

My goal is to get an evil deep growl, kind of like Behemoth in this present time (not their black metal era).

I already got that type of growl but i trying to get the sound more like Bathory or Dimmu Borgir,but litle more melodical .each day I am better in that....just litle more practice is what I need...
----
18.08.2008 - 23:16
ANGEL REAPER
By the way LORD TJ i didn't experienced any pain during practice,maybe you are doing something wrong.
----
19.08.2008 - 09:10
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
You are experiencing no pain during practice most likely because your vocal chords havent stopped developing yet since you are only 16.
The pain starts a bit later.
21.08.2008 - 23:22
ANGEL REAPER
I think that I didnt experienced no pain cousa I practice 15 minutes, 2 times each day in last 6 months...
or maybe is just that what jupitreas told..
i dont know...
Anyway thanks for the warning
----
09.09.2008 - 22:26
ANGEL REAPER
By the way did anyone ever tried to use some electronic stuff for help in growl?
----
10.09.2008 - 18:03
Sunioj
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 09.09.2008 at 22:26

By the way did anyone ever tried to use some electronic stuff for help in growl?

I tried hooking up a mic to a distortion pedal, it had a pretty cool effect
20.09.2008 - 18:55
Lord TJ

I played around with it one time, made some prank calls lol. But I would never use it when practicing, playing live, or recording. It would make me sound fake.

Though theres some effects I can understand and be cool with, like echoing, or voice duplicating. People know its not real, but its so obvious its not like your trying to hide it.
----

13.10.2008 - 18:33
Svartlock

Can I hear your growl? Do you have any videos at youtube or something?
13.10.2008 - 20:46
Valentin B
Iconoclast
sometimes i can growl so easily it's ridiculous(the death grunt style, not CoB or metalcore style). the thing is, you need to eat/drink something that'll make you get that mucus/whatever in the back of your throat and make it.. i dunno, vibrate? lol . and to everyone, NEVER force yourselves to growl, you might not even sound that good and all you'll get in the end is throat pain. it's pretty much like some people who force themselves to sing like Halford or Scheepers. if you don't got the range for it, it's all over.
15.10.2008 - 02:04
Bloodfrozen
For some time I've been trying to do harsh vocals. Sometimes it works (a bit), and sometimes I don't seem to get it. But what I'm really curious about is: What's the volume when you do those growls?
I mean when it works for me, my volume of my growls is just the same as my normal talking voice. But I don't have a clue about how other people are doing it. When I try to up my volume my throat hurts and I cough so that can't be good...
Anyone has some advice? (I've read almost all the links from the posters above so I don't think i need any more...)

Thanks
----
Bloodfrozen
Under the rise of the shining moon
Bloodfrozen
Through the night I'll come for you
To take your soul to hell
17.10.2008 - 23:16
Dagorwen
Written by Svartlock on 13.10.2008 at 18:33

I hazd like to, but I'm not in az bzand T_T (zand hzave az fucked up computer) sqo it'qs pzarticulzarly sqtupid to growxl wxithout muqsic! ZAnd I don't knowx hoxw to find insqtrumentzal verqsionqs of my fzavorite sqongqs.
(if sqomebody knoxw wxhere you cazn found inqstrumentazl for DB, AZrch Enemy aznd CoB...)
18.10.2008 - 23:19
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Svartlock on 13.10.2008 at 18:33

No I don't have videos on youtube,but i''l maybe make some voice demos and post them somewere in future...By the way I grovl something like Shargarth(DB),but lately i start developing screams so now my voice is shit...I meant I dont like the way I growl.
----