Reviewer:

1066 users:
Band: Symphony X
Album: Paradise Lost
Style: Symphonic power metal, Progressive metal
Release date: June 2007

Disc I
01. Oculus Ex Inferni
02. Set The World On Fire (The Lie Of Lies)
03. Domination
04. Serpent's Kiss
05. Paradise Lost
06. Eve Of Seduction
07. The Walls Of Babylon
08. Seven
09. The Sacrifice
10. Revelation (Divus Pennae Ex Tragoedia)
11. Sacrifice Prelude [demo] [Japanese bonus]
12. Opening Alternate Intro [demo] [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [Live DVD]
01. King Of Terrors [Paris]
02. Out Of The Ashes [Paris]
03. Dressed To Kill [Tokyo]
04. In The Dragon's Den [Tokyo]
05. Inferno [Milan]
06. Evolution [Madrid]
07. The Odyssey - Part II [Hollywood]
08. The Odyssey - Part V & VI [Hollywood]
09. Smoke And Mirrors [Hollywood]
10. Of Sins And Shadows [Gigantour USA]

Five years my friends, we had to wait five really long years to have the luck to finally listen to the new Symphony X. The band promised something great and "heavy", I can tell you that they didn't lie to their fans because "Paradise Lost" is probably the heavier and darker album of the American combo but also one of their bests. It's good to see that SX is back and better than ever and after all even if it was long, we didn't wait for nothing. "Paradise Lost" is an amazing album damn so, be prepared for one of the biggest blast of the year 2007!!!

I will never say that "Paradise Lost" is better or not than the other albums of Symphony X for the simple reason that anyway, I love all their albums and I don't want to do any classification. But be sure of one thing, with "Paradise Lost" SX respects its promises. The album is really aggressive with a ton of heavy and loud riffs (like with "Evolution (The Grand Design)") and of course with all the ingredients of the musical recipe of the band. The great melodies, the symphonic arrangements, the super technical keyboards and guitars soli and the really long songs are still there but the main change on this release is the voice of Russel Allen. Here, the amazing singer uses a lot of aggressive voices (even a bit hoarsy sometime) and you'll be able to see that it's heavy yeah! "Paradise Lost" is a bit like "V" with the principal difference that this release is a lot more "in your face", not so complex and it will maybe be problematic for the fans who like pure Progressive Metal. I cannot say that "Paradise Lost" is not "Prog" because it's progressive for sure but when you compare it to "The Odyssey" or "V" it's a bit different. "Paradise Lost" is easier of access which doesn't mean that it's bad, at the opposite, but a song like "Eye Of Seduction" (even if it's all but not simple) is clearly more oriented toward the Power and Heavy Metal direction than the Progressive one. Some of you will like it, some others will find that it's maybe a bit too simple for a band like Symphony X and will regret the lack of complex passages, but don't worry, this is the only reproach that I will do today and this reproach is only for some few songs (I will never say that for Revelation (Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia)" for example).

Except this little remark about the lack of complexity and "deepness" on some songs, all is great here. The musicians are better than ever (this is probably the best performance of the American musicians, even if I regret that Russel doesn't use a lot his classy super clean voice. Agressive vocals are cool but pure clean vocals are great too...) and from the beginning to the end, "Paradise Lost" just kicks our asses. I listened to this album a dozen of times already and it's never boring, at the opposite the choruses and melodies all stay in our memory and it's clearly some kind of songs that you'll sing in your head during all the day. Plus the production is just amazing and the heavy sound of the band is super perceptible and I have nothing to say about the philosophical lyrics about the problems produced by the humans which are just excellent (as always with the band). "Paradise Lost" is a bit like a synonym of perfection.

"Paradise Lost" is a real must, a masterpiece of Metal. Clearly more accessible than the previous albums of the combo, it will probably be the album of the consecration for the American act, the album for ALL the fans of Metal. Nothing to add really, we didn't wait for nothing and Symphony X confirms one more time that they're one of the best combos of the whole Metal scene. Don't wait anymore, "Paradise Lost" is out now and this is a must so run to your records-shop to buy, for me (and for now of course (we're still in July hehe )) the album of the year 2007!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written by Jeff | 28.06.2007

Comments

Comments: 72   Visited by: 368 users
28.06.2007 - 16:44
Rating: 10
Silent Creeper
Senile Veteran
I couldn't agree more!
28.06.2007 - 17:21
Rating: 9
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
Yes, sure one of the best album.

Waiting long time to this album wasn't bad. Especially when you listen the result.

I shall say only one word: impressive.
28.06.2007 - 17:30
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Seems to be awesome. The two songs they played from PL when I saw them last months seemed just great, so I have to get my hands on it!
28.06.2007 - 18:23
Rating: 8
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Now this is an album that I have been dying to get! After reading this review, I will stop at a CD shop this evening and get it (there goes my wait until July to buy more CDs promise to myself!)
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
28.06.2007 - 18:45
Exellent review man.... and u are totally right one of the mest albums this year (a must have)...:thumbup:... the wait was not in vain..good job Symphony X.. can wait to see them live...:banger2:
----
...SHADOWEDFIRE...
28.06.2007 - 19:02
Warman
Erotic Stains
Great album really, the best I've heard from them so far!
----
28.06.2007 - 19:13
raynita
is an excellent album
so cooooooooool!!!!!!!!!
2 weeks ago i saw them in fantastic concert, awesome!!!!!!
28.06.2007 - 19:45
Glabrezu
This is a masterpiece, Symphony X are the best metal band now!!
I' ve seen them 3 weeks ago in concert near my city and they were perfect (mmm almost perfect..Sir Russell fell down on the stage while singing lol).
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
28.06.2007 - 20:27
nb
I got it yesterday, but could only listen to it 1/2 a time, but tonight I will listen to it completely, it has been a long wait. Yeah!!
28.06.2007 - 22:42
SacredBlade
This CD rocks period.
28.06.2007 - 22:50
Rating: 5
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
So, so far from the greatness of The Odyssey. Symphony X showing why some people consider their discography repetitive and with little depth.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
28.06.2007 - 22:54
jadawal
Seems alright, didn't listen to it enough I guess for me to love it. Well better then alright, but nto a good a the Oddysey.
29.06.2007 - 00:12
Kanon
Account deleted
one of the best symphony x albums, in my opinion the best album of 2007!!!!
29.06.2007 - 01:15
Bsquared
Kick-ass-super-album! That's what it is, I totally love it
----
http://www.last.fm/user/Hobflop
29.06.2007 - 02:52
DreamWeaver
Elite
Dunno... I love the album, but it seems that SX doesn't even try to innovate. This album sounds just like all ther previous work. Other bands have tried something new. Dream Theater has ToT and Systematic Chaos, Sonata Arctica has Unia (which I love btw), Kamelot has Ghost Opera, Pain of Salvation has Scarsick. And despite all the bad ratings people may have given to these albums (specially Unia and Scarsick) at least they try something new. It seems that Symphony X has found a "safe spot" in their sound and don't intend to get out of that box and try something different.
----
29.06.2007 - 09:26
Muskot
Account deleted
Yes, Symphony X is one of the more non-dynamic bands sound-wise, and yes, it's a shame that we don't hear very much variation between albums et c, but it's still damn good. =)

Though I miss those really long songs, I'm a huge fan of 20-minutes tracks. But it's pretty udnerstandable that there are none here, two records in a row with 20-minute songs would be a bit much...
29.06.2007 - 10:27
Deadsoulman
Elite
Written by DreamWeaver on 29.06.2007 at 02:52

Dunno... I love the album, but it seems that SX doesn't even try to innovate. This album sounds just like all ther previous work. Other bands have tried something new. Dream Theater has ToT and Systematic Chaos, Sonata Arctica has Unia (which I love btw), Kamelot has Ghost Opera, Pain of Salvation has Scarsick. And despite all the bad ratings people may have given to these albums (specially Unia and Scarsick) at least they try something new. It seems that Symphony X has found a "safe spot" in their sound and don't intend to get out of that box and try something different.

I understand they didn't want to change. After all they have their distinctive sound and, as you said, those bands that have changed were blasted by about everybody (some even called those bands sellouts). Whatever they did, they would have been criticized anyway, that's what you get when you're famous

I personnally like this album very much, as Jeff said the choruses are still amazing and Russell Allen is better than ever. The only thing I'd reproach is the guitar sound. It is a bit more high-pitched and heavy metal sounding than before, while I love them being powerful and "brutal". Anyway, that's a minor shortcoming as far as I'm concerned.
29.06.2007 - 13:22
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I could agree more, the album is fantastic.
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
29.06.2007 - 13:51
Infurnace
I've never really listened to Symphony X yet, but I must say this album is really good! I'm really impressed.
29.06.2007 - 14:45
Abattoir
Staff
Great album...I haven't listened former albums from Sypmphony X, but this one i have and it is really amazing.
29.06.2007 - 17:07
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by Deadsoulman on 29.06.2007 at 10:27

Written by DreamWeaver on 29.06.2007 at 02:52

I understand they didn't want to change. After all they have their distinctive sound and, as you said, those bands that have changed were blasted by about everybody (some even called those bands sellouts). Whatever they did, they would have been criticized anyway, that's what you get when you're famous

I personnally like this album very much, as Jeff said the choruses are still amazing and Russell Allen is better than ever. The only thing I'd reproach is the guitar sound. It is a bit more high-pitched and heavy metal sounding than before, while I love them being powerful and "brutal". Anyway, that's a minor shortcoming as far as I'm concerned.

Could'nt agree more, I just hate it when people complain about new albums being either repetetive, too experimental or sellout. And as you said - it won't matter what you do as a famous band, you will get critiziced anyway.
Agree with you about the guitar sound aswell, but that's the only flaw I've noticed so far. Damn I have to get this album!
29.06.2007 - 18:41
ponderer
I highly recommend reading John Milton's Paradise Lost if you haven't yet (it was required reading in literature class). Reading the epic poem which reads like a story will help guide you through this cd. There's also an excellent artbook which is a companion to the story. This cd is beyond epic! Huge props to Symphony X for keeping it really raw and right up in your grill the entire time!!!
29.06.2007 - 20:13
BlankFile
Symphony X is back more heavy than ever! Ill say! This album is simply perfect, it has it all: Tecnique, power, speed, agressivness... Man im so stunned by this album, i have no words to describe it... I´ve waited so long for this release, definitely it was worth the waiting, and honestly i share some of the opinions that were written about this album: One of the best of 2007! Symphony X, a long time fan salutes you! Long live Metal! |m|
29.06.2007 - 20:26
BlankFile
Oh just to add that i bought the album today (the Cd/DVD) version. Fuck... What an album... So fucken heavY!!!!!
29.06.2007 - 22:21
Bash'
:)
Great review Jeff!!! I salute you really, was long yeah but even more interesting to read, good job

I love the album from the little times listening for it, yet to have some better vision to describe & say some words...
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
29.06.2007 - 22:39
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
sounds helluv good. damn good cover too.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.06.2007 - 23:34
Bitch Boy
Very good review Jeff. The album is indeed a masterpiece
30.06.2007 - 05:41
Sepulchral Oath
Account deleted
I picked this up at a signing they did this past tuesday, and I havent stopped listening to it all week.
01.07.2007 - 19:54
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
The songs on this album remind me of the quality of "Eyes of Medusa" and Romeo sounds like he's had five years of improvement (possible?) I was wondering how they could follow up "The Odyssey" but they have definitely answered back. Allen's vocals sound coarser on most songs, which is interesting, and the more ballad-type singing reminds me of "The Odyssey" Part... II, I believe." And what's this CD/DVD edition all about? I've only seen the basic version in stores.
04.07.2007 - 21:26
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
One of the best works of Symphony X.

Hits total: 17335 | This month: 16