04. Of Momentary Happiness
05. Towards The Cliffs Of Infinite Dark
06. The Edge Of Eternity

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 15 users
22.09.2020 - 18:22
Rating: 7
brimarsh
Hoping to have a full review of this soon... reviews have been falling behind real life work.

For something that feels predictable, this does a great job at being contradictory of its first impression. This was another grab bag of influence, but far more "focused" than I found The Wind and Her Lament to be, and definitely worth more than the sum of its parts. Gothic metal, Scandinavian melodic/orthodox black metal, blackened deathcore, post-rock... eclectic mix, but flows well and feels organic. Won't make any of my "top" lists, but there wasn't a single moment of monotony to be found. Solid, inspired, and a real sense of identity here. Solid 7.4, maybe even 7.5 here. Straddles the line between good and really good.

Vermoorden, nice work here, bud! Really glad we were able to have such a respectful discourse despite how negatively I reviewed your latest work. I would have otherwise missed out on this.
25.09.2020 - 10:06
Vermoorden
Written by brimarsh on 22.09.2020 at 18:22

Hoping to have a full review of this soon... reviews have been falling behind real life work.

For something that feels predictable, this does a great job at being contradictory of its first impression. This was another grab bag of influence, but far more "focused" than I found The Wind and Her Lament to be, and definitely worth more than the sum of its parts. Gothic metal, Scandinavian melodic/orthodox black metal, blackened deathcore, post-rock... eclectic mix, but flows well and feels organic. Won't make any of my "top" lists, but there wasn't a single moment of monotony to be found. Solid, inspired, and a real sense of identity here. Solid 7.4, maybe even 7.5 here. Straddles the line between good and really good.

Vermoorden, nice work here, bud! Really glad we were able to have such a respectful discourse despite how negatively I reviewed your latest work. I would have otherwise missed out on this.

I thought you might enjoy this one a bit more! Thanks for checking it out, glad you enjoyed it!

EDIT: Thinking back on the album writing process, I remember wanting all of the songs to be "black metal + other genre", as I put it in my notes to myself. So for instance, march of souls was doom + black, edge of eternity was death + black, etc.

Listening to this album back after 2 years, I am not sure which style of song writing I prefer: the more focused song writing of this album, or the always shifting style of my latest. I think if/when I make another full length, I'd like to do something in between these two albums probably. Or I might just put out something completely different, who knows lol.
25.09.2020 - 17:02
Rating: 7
brimarsh
I'd love to hear something that'd be a sort of "creative midpoint" between these two albums. I love the amalgam of genres, and this album touched on how I personally prefer to hear my genres mixed. I think you did a really good job of letting your influences shine through, while also setting a precedent for your own sound. That's a really tough scale to balance!

I also really enjoyed the instrumental track on this album, as well as the instrumental and outro on The Wind and Her Lament. Have you ever considered doing a more scaled back, post-metal/rock project?
25.09.2020 - 22:17
Vermoorden
Written by brimarsh on 25.09.2020 at 17:02

I'd love to hear something that'd be a sort of "creative midpoint" between these two albums. I love the amalgam of genres, and this album touched on how I personally prefer to hear my genres mixed. I think you did a really good job of letting your influences shine through, while also setting a precedent for your own sound. That's a really tough scale to balance!

I also really enjoyed the instrumental track on this album, as well as the instrumental and outro on The Wind and Her Lament. Have you ever considered doing a more scaled back, post-metal/rock project?

Thank you! I have thought of doing an instrumental type album before. Generally I prefer vocals in my music, but thats not to say I don't enjoy the occasional post-rock instrumental bands, namely GY!BE, Mono, etc. I don't really plan that far ahead in terms of what my next album/project will be, but its definitely a possibility.

Hits total: 363 | This month: 9