Metal Storm logo
Nine Inch Nails

Original post

Posted by Twilight, 29.05.2006 - 20:31
Anybody likes this awesome band (or just the guy behind the great music)?
Trent Reznor has made great music in the past. With Teeth isn't his best album. But he sure has made some albums that are high on my list of favorite albums.

I love The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile is great too. I own both albums, together with the Broken EP and Pretty Hate Machine.

Who else likes this unique music?
16.02.2007 - 01:25
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone heard about the parepin controversy surrounding the new NIN album? Apparently, it's going to be a concept album about the American government contaminating the water supply with this drug. I'm pretty sure it's just a story, but some people are getting really worked up about it.

Check this site out- http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/viewtopic.php?t=20265&sid=f23daf9eac511945a7971825d9ec181b
10.03.2007 - 12:32
purpleblondi
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 16.02.2007 at 01:25

Has anyone heard about the parepin controversy surrounding the new NIN album? Apparently, it's going to be a concept album about the American government contaminating the water supply with this drug. I'm pretty sure it's just a story, but some people are getting really worked up about it.

Check this site out- http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/viewtopic.php?t=20265&sid=f23daf9eac511945a7971825d9ec181b

and also this site

http://www.iamtryingtobelieve.com

and there is also supposed to be a Year Zero movie according to Trent..
24.03.2007 - 13:31
Anathemani@c
I dont like that band at all, except from the song Hurt and Enjoy the silence...
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
24.03.2007 - 22:13
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Eh... wait. Isn't Enjoy the Silence by another band? I forgot the name but it definitely isn't by NIN.
25.03.2007 - 12:32
Anathemani@c
Written by Twilight on 24.03.2007 at 22:13

Eh... wait. Isn't Enjoy the Silence by another band? I forgot the name but it definitely isn't by NIN.

Probably.. I am not that sure
----
Trapped in time
25.03.2007 - 13:15
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Its Depeche Mode you guys.... Do your homework..
25.03.2007 - 15:09
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Yes Enjoy the Silence is a major hit by Depeche Mode. Anathema also made a cover. And several other bands probably.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
25.03.2007 - 16:01
Anathemani@c
I know the Anathema cover. Anathema hae even covered Zombie from Cranberies.;D anyway... Nine inch nails's song that I like is hurt (covered by anathema, too!!!):dshy:
----
Trapped in time
25.03.2007 - 17:59
Revenant
Account deleted
Good band, irrelevant to what people say, it's creative and atmospheric music.
27.03.2007 - 12:37
AlexCromlech
Account deleted
Great band! One of my favorite non-metal bands. Trent Reznor is a genius!
MARCH OF THE PIGS!
03.04.2007 - 03:52
APOHAKC
The Bard
Awesome band, I reallt like their trip, older albums are great, I am not much into new staff, I would like to see them alive, but I doubt I would give 50 euros for them anyway...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
04.04.2007 - 23:14
Thryce
Retired Staff
Elite
>> ATTENTION! <<

Nine Inch Nails' entire new album "Year Zero", is being streamed at the YearZero.nin.com website (free e-mail registration required in top right hand corner of page).
----
Your favorite band sucks.
04.04.2007 - 23:23
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I heard this band for the first time some days ago and I really liked them, I'm going to get some of their music
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
05.04.2007 - 18:29
l33t_sas
Account deleted
I like quite a few of their songs but I find them to be altogether overrated. I mean an album with 15 songs on it and only 5 worth listening to is hardly worthy of praise in my books. *waits for flames*
19.04.2007 - 04:37
LethargyMan
Year Zero...

... is it just me, or was Reznor listening to alot of Merzbow while making this album... it's quite a bit noisier than his other stuff.

It's an excellent little album.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
19.04.2007 - 13:06
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Not Merzbow but early Coil - definitely. I think I hear a little Muslimgauze in there as well. And Prick's "Wreckard". Good album nonetheless.
14.05.2007 - 02:38
__Az__
Havent heard Year Zero yet, although I plan to in the near future.... I did enjoy 'With Teeth' though, that was a decent album....
15.05.2007 - 19:13
Broken, Fixed, and Downward Spiral are great albums, although Pretty Hate Machine is easily my favorite. I don't enjoy anything past Downward Spiral, though
11.08.2007 - 20:18
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Year Zero is a nice improvement on With Teeth. But nothing like Broken or The Downward Spiral. Not that I'm waiting for a Downward Spiral v2 or anything, for me Trent has had his best time some time ago.
17.08.2007 - 02:14
therest
Nine Inch Nails is great, always puts me in a badass mood. Very good lyrics and tunes. If I started a band, it'd be something like NIN. I have nothing much to say about them yet .. they're still pretty new to me. I will probably post here again someday after I have've got to know them better.
Now playing: Nine Inch Nails - Every Day Is Exactly The Same
----
"It's because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everybody does everything." - Homer Simpson

"Then hold to the fading colors
The grayest of life is yet to come"
- Întunecatul
08.09.2007 - 08:17
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
hmm I just realized that I haven't properly posted in this thread. I'm not really a fan of Nine Inch Nails, but I do like some of their stuff. I have Purest Feeling (I think that's what it's called), Pretty Hate Machine, Broken EP, The Downward Spiral, and The Fragile. I've also fully listened to the new album, but I think it sucks pretty bad. There's nothing really interesting going on, and nothing stands out to me.

I think the Broken EP is by far their best release. Wish is probably my favorite song by them, primarily due to the heavy and catchy guitar sound. I actually consider it to be a full length though because there are two bonus songs after like 10 minutes of dead silence, which gives the album 8 tracks or some shit.

The Downward Spiral is also a pretty good album, but there's way too much fucking filler on it. Granted, it doesn't have nearly as much filler as The Fragile, which honestly should have only been one disk.

I also have Purest Feeling, which came out less than a year before Pretty Hate Machine (<--good album) but is fucking hard to find. It sounds more like 80's pop to me, but not in a cheesy 80's Ministry sort of way. It's pretty simple and it flows together well, but it's not really my style. I still haven't listened to the whole thing yet.
17.09.2007 - 00:39
?Master?
Account deleted
i like nine inch nails
thyere a good band to trip out to
18.09.2007 - 22:32
Olli
I find I have to be in a.. erm.. certain mood to listen to nine inch nails.
I find the music is very atmospheric, but sometimes Trents voice is just too quiet for my liking.
The downward spiral is my favourite album by a long way, I love the songs Hurt, Ruiner, Piggy, March Of The Pigs and Closer. The rest of the album is good aswell, but those songs stand out for me.
I also have The Fragile and Pretty Hate Machine, which i listened to quite a few times but ended up just going back to The Downward Spiral.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
11.10.2007 - 00:09
Istyk
Account deleted
I like this band too. but i hate their new songs ... I like the older songs from the year 1996 and like that . The New songs arent good at all i think.
11.10.2007 - 19:20
Written by Guest on 11.10.2007 at 00:09

I like this band too. but i hate their new songs ... I like the older songs from the year 1996 and like that . The New songs arent good at all i think.

Agreed. I really tried to get into the Fragile, but just couldn't...Of the main albums I enjoy (pretty hate machine, broken/ fixed, and downward spiral), each successive release seemed to lose a little bit of Trent's genius.
10.11.2007 - 02:50
LethargyMan
So apparently Trent Reznor had been working with hip-hop artist Saul Williams in producing his latest album. It was released for free here.

After listening to it, it seems as if Reznor didn't "produce" the album so much as he was the MC, because his style is plastered everywhere. I'm not familiar with his past work, so I'm not certain to degree in which this was really Reznor's or Saul's beats (and I use the term "beats" loosely), but it really does sound like a more-hip-hop based Nine Inch Nails album - Saul even sounds like Reznor. A very enjoyable listen.
----
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.
By the sword we seek peace, but peace only under liberty.
15.11.2007 - 04:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I posted this in another forum a while ago, and it's probably the greatest quote I've ever read:

"Nine Inch Nails was scheduled to perform at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards, but dropped themselves from the show due to a disagreement with the network over the use of an unaltered image of George W. Bush as a backdrop to the band's performance of "The Hand that Feeds". Soon afterwards, Reznor wrote on the official NIN website: "apparently, the image of our president is as offensive to MTV as it is to me"."
30.11.2007 - 02:29
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Elite
--For those interested in this band--

The remix site done by fans and wanted by Trent Reznor is now available at this location. After some problems between Trent Reznor and Universal the site is finally up. Enjoy it.
30.11.2007 - 23:12
IllNiñoSweden
Nine Inch Nails is a strange band because it is much industrial metal.
But Nine Inch Nails have one good song Surialism.
01.12.2007 - 12:00
Opium
Account deleted
Written by IllNiñoSweden on 30.11.2007 at 23:12

Nine Inch Nails is a strange band because it is much industrial metal.
But Nine Inch Nails have one good song Surialism.

Wouldn't it only be strange if you're relatively unfamiliar with the overall sound?

I've never thought of NIN's sound as being strange, even when I first heard them, although this is certainly a subjective matter.