Metal Storm logo
2008 U.S. Presidential Election

Original post

Posted by Konrad, 13.08.2007 - 14:14
...and here it is

With much pontificating on whether to even start this one, (due to the anticipation of a major headache), I present to you the official thread of the 2008 U.S. Presidential election. I am just too damn interested in seeing what everyone (U.S. and non-U.S. citizens alike) thinks. I would like for all of us to approach this in an atypical matter. DO NOT discuss petty issues that are discussed every day by various media outlets. (Abortion, Same-Sex Marriage, Etc.) Such issues have been presented to us with intent to take our minds off of things that are actually important.

Feel free to grace us with your opinions of the Political Candidates, Political Debates, Important Issues such as solutions for Iraq, The role that the U.S. will play in the world, Etc. Try also not to look only 4 years into the future...that is what has gotten the U.S. into so much trouble in the past...

Go 'lite' on posting or quoting tons of links to other sights. Everything should come from yourself...and please keep the personal insults to a minimum...we all (hopefully) have the same goal to make the world a better place. Unfortunately that peace is currently being halted by greedy politicians. Remember to keep the big question in mind: What political figure would be the best for the entire Global community and why? Go at it fools!
30.11.2008 - 23:39
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by riffdex on 30.11.2008 at 22:19

Written by Dangerboner on 17.11.2008 at 02:11

you really ought to turn NC blue >.<
(my home state xD)

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. I live in NC and I was pretty sure that most of the votes in everything went to the Democratic Party.
----
(space for rent)
30.11.2008 - 23:43
Hrothdane
Written by Dane Train on 30.11.2008 at 23:39

Written by riffdex on 30.11.2008 at 22:19

Written by Dangerboner on 17.11.2008 at 02:11

you really ought to turn NC blue >.<
(my home state xD)

Yeah, I was wondering that as well. I live in NC and I was pretty sure that most of the votes in everything went to the Democratic Party.

Its an old map, probably from 2000 or 2004
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
01.12.2008 - 00:37
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yeah it's definitely old - VA voted for Obama too, I think. It's still funny though
01.12.2008 - 02:45
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
What I find sad is how both the Republican and Democratic parties demonize each other all the time. Does anyone else feel this way? With this past election I was really shocked by how many members of the Democratic party just let into a full on onslaught of insults towards anyone who voted Republican.
----
(space for rent)
01.12.2008 - 03:07
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Dane Train on 01.12.2008 at 02:45

What I find sad is how both the Republican and Democratic parties demonize each other all the time. Does anyone else feel this way? With this past election I was really shocked by how many members of the Democratic party just let into a full on onslaught of insults towards anyone who voted Republican.

Your right, it is a bit barbaric and immature. You'd think something as important as the presidential election would act a bit more humble rather then making it come down to who's the better of two evils
----
Coldgrits
01.12.2008 - 20:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Btw do you people also find it funny that Obama kept on going on about how he would bring change and then his actions in the formation of government ar the exact opposite. I remember hime clearly stating during the elections that he would break with the Clinton clan and what does he do? He frigging apoints Hillary Clinton as foreign affairs minister. That woman is totally unsuitable for that job imo. If he really wanted her in his cabinet he should have appointed her as minister of internal affairs so she can do something about health insurance (she is good in that)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.12.2008 - 20:48
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.12.2008 at 20:18

Btw do you people also find it funny that Obama kept on going on about how he would bring change and then his actions in the formation of government ar the exact opposite. I remember hime clearly stating during the elections that he would break with the Clinton clan and what does he do? He frigging apoints Hillary Clinton as foreign affairs minister. That woman is totally unsuitable for that job imo. If he really wanted her in his cabinet he should have appointed her as minister of internal affairs so she can do something about health insurance (she is good in that)

While I do not take sides in political debates and try to stay away from supporting candidates, I must say I am very much against Hillary Clinton. Maybe it is because I had to live under her reign of destruction in New York State for many years. If people think that G.W. Bush was bad for America, Clinton was even worst for NY. Oh man, she screwed our state up so much.
----
(space for rent)
01.12.2008 - 22:13
riffdex
I made one for the 2008 election, yeah I know it's prolly not as good as the other one... I did it in paint lol

EDIT: Hmm it got resized when I posted it, make sure to right click > view image if you want to see it more clearly

02.12.2008 - 01:09
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by riffdex on 01.12.2008 at 22:13

I made one for the 2008 election, yeah I know it's prolly not as good as the other one... I did it in paint lol

EDIT: Hmm it got resized when I posted it, make sure to right click > view image if you want to see it more clearly

See that is exactly what I am talking about! Just because someone (or in this case a state) votes differently than you they are a "dumbass"?
----
(space for rent)
02.12.2008 - 02:27
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
YES!!!! I'm still a tr00 American.... BUAAAAAA!!!!
----
Coldgrits
02.12.2008 - 06:27
riffdex
Written by Dane Train on 02.12.2008 at 01:09

Written by riffdex on 01.12.2008 at 22:13

See that is exactly what I am talking about! Just because someone (or in this case a state) votes differently than you they are a "dumbass"?

Nah bro, it's all in good fun.
It is meant to be satirical, in the end we are all the "United States of America"
I don't think anyone who votes republican is a dumbass, I think they have a different view on the world than me. But I still find the map to be funny, and I would not be bothered the slightest if a conservative made a map that said just the opposite.
I think you're reading far too into this...
02.12.2008 - 08:20
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by riffdex on 02.12.2008 at 06:27

I think you're reading far too into this...

Probably, because it could be read both ways. I thought they both blew.
----
The force will be with you, always.
02.12.2008 - 21:48
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So, today after work my buddy Obama and I are going to do some mad tricks on our fixies, compare helmets, and drink some tall boys. Then I will talk him into bike jousting...

03.12.2008 - 23:35
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I'm not racsist but I just want to say to all the black people out there, we're even now. I'm sick of hearing about slavery. It's 2008 and slavery's been abolished for over a hundred years now. There's nothing that us "white" people can do that you can't. and why can't we say "nigger"? Black comedians say cracker-ass, honkey, and wonderbread, all the time but fucking michael richards has to do a public apology. wtf is wrong with the world?
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
05.12.2008 - 02:36
Toast
Account deleted
Written by {aud}devil on 03.12.2008 at 23:35

I'm not racsist but I just want to say to all the black people out there, we're even now. I'm sick of hearing about slavery. It's 2008 and slavery's been abolished for over a hundred years now. There's nothing that us "white" people can do that you can't. and why can't we say "nigger"? Black comedians say cracker-ass, honkey, and wonderbread, all the time but fucking michael richards has to do a public apology. wtf is wrong with the world?

Obama is half white and was raised white...I doubt it really makes it "even" considering you guys had 47 old white presidents before him lol. Plus the fact that it took an idiot like John McCain running against him, 8 terrible years of Bush in people's minds, and a friggin economic crisis to finally turn the tables for Obama is fucking sad. Even then Obama only got 52% of the popular vote...wtf.

Here in Toronto we're pretty comfortable using racial remarks and there's no real racism; just a few harmless steriotypes here and there and the fact that people tend to hang around their own race more then other races (at least that's my experience). I don't know much about racism in America, but with groups like the KKK around and the apparent racism in "dumbfuckistan" black people in your country have every right to be pissed off.
05.12.2008 - 07:38
riffdex
Written by Guest on 05.12.2008 at 02:36

Written by {aud}devil on 03.12.2008 at 23:35

Obama is half white and was raised white...I doubt it really makes it "even" considering you guys had 47 old white presidents before him lol. Plus the fact that it took an idiot like John McCain running against him, 8 terrible years of Bush in people's minds, and a friggin economic crisis to finally turn the tables for Obama is fucking sad. Even then Obama only got 52% of the popular vote...wtf.

Here in Toronto we're pretty comfortable using racial remarks and there's no real racism; just a few harmless steriotypes here and there and the fact that people tend to hang around their own race more then other races (at least that's my experience). I don't know much about racism in America, but with groups like the KKK around and the apparent racism in "dumbfuckistan" black people in your country have every right to be pissed off.

Be careful not to make a generalization, you'll end up just pissing off good people who aren't racists. The fact is, there are a lot of racists who are democrats and a lot who are republicans. There's no use to try and claim either side is more racist. Most of those red states have been voting that way since before a black man had ever run. Now having said that, Obama won (despite his race, which in my opinion cost him more votes than it gave him) so I think it's time to move on beyond the mentality that he's the first black president and realize that he was legitimately elected on the issues. What I don't think it's time to do is to somehow try to claim that the fact that because a black man was elected president, the racial divides have suddenly vanished and all prejudice is gone (if only...) like {aud}devil is trying to say.

To {aud}devil: The fact is, you can say the n-word. So go have fun calling black people the n-word and offending them by bringing up the issue of slavery. Maybe it makes you feel powerful... who am I to judge? Sure, you can sit there and complain that a few dumbass comedians say slurs to you. I'm sure that justifies the use of the n-word to all black people in your mind. You may feel that it's not fair that these comedians use these words and you can't say the n-word. But as we both know, two wrongs make a right, so go make it right and call some black people N***ers! I'm not going to say it, because I happen to think it's a terrible word and I just don't feel it's an appropriate word to ever use. Ah, but I've gone off on a tangent... the fact is, there are no laws stopping you from using that word, and there are no laws preventing people from using words such as "cracker". The main reason there is such a backlash when somebody uses the n-word is the public opinion on the matter. The American people simply think it's worse when someone is negatively using the n-word than when someone is saying "cracker". The n-word is more than just a slur, it is a word associated with slavery. Now tell me... what is cracker associated with?
05.12.2008 - 14:36
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by akatana on 05.12.2008 at 13:17

There was a book "Ganz unten" by a german journalist named Günter Wallraff who went undercover as a turkish immigrant in germany working for big industry. I don;t know if there is an english translation but if there is I highly recommend this book. There are immigrants all over the world living as slaves and obama being elected does not wipe it all away. It is hard to believe but there are more slaves in our world today than it was during the ancient times.

There might well be. There is a Dutch translation of it as well, and that was also a bestseller in 1985 in The Netherlands. Here it was called "Ik, Ali" (Me, Ali)
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.12.2008 - 15:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by akatana on 05.12.2008 at 15:24

I did not know that, cool. That book and that author sure deserve it.

Yeah it surely does deserve it. IN 1985 it was quite an eye opener for me, that such a form of slavery was still possible in our supposedly civilised Western world.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2008 - 00:25
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
Wow, you guys are taking my statements all wrong. any racial slur is terrible. and yea we have a lot of dumb fucks who are racist and don't understand as to why a colored(half-white or not) man got elected as president. Obama is the epitome of the model american in America. It is a country where different cultures, religions, genders, and stereotypes can grow as one. I know I'm light=skinned but I, myself, am only half-white. How can you be raised white? what the hell assumption is that? as opposed to being raised black? There are no racial boundaries for growing up with good moral. nada. say all you want about that, but I think I'm right. I'm only trying to prove a point. Blacks weren't the only race subjected to slavery, Hebrews were too in ancient egypt my friends. Children were too, no matter what race. I know Obama being president doesn't wipe that all away. But it does help in the community. And it is easy too judge considering if you don't live in America. I'm just sick of hearing slavery as an excuse for blacks to hate whites. I didn't enslave anyone. so lighten up. And as for segragation, not a form of slavery. it was a form of a lower class below the lower class. But correcting the term doesn't make it any better. There is no way to make people forget, or even obliterate the fact that slavery was so terrible. Forming the NAACP doesn't make it better but its a start. African-Americans can go to college for free, no matter what class. I still stick by what I said about how black people can achieve anything a white person can. You should stop by Toledo, Ohio and maybe you'll see what I mean. I went to a mall and before I even made it to the entrance, a group of black kids were like "Hey, a white girl...." wtf? Its not like I go around saying "Hey a black kid". Why?, because its rude and inethical.
I agree with your last line, taka. Speech is a something we should use responsibly and in an intelligent way. But I do not agree with your statement on white priveleges. Trust me on this, it is social class that matters in the material world, not race.

Anyways, I'm done argueing, well, I wasn't really arguing but I'm done discussing, I guess.
----
08.12.2008 - 01:42
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Well you're off topic anyways.
09.12.2008 - 11:09
riffdex
Written by {aud}devil on 08.12.2008 at 00:25
I'm just sick of hearing slavery as an excuse for blacks to hate whites. I didn't enslave anyone. so lighten up. And as for segragation, not a form of slavery. it was a form of a lower class below the lower class. But correcting the term doesn't make it any better. There is no way to make people forget, or even obliterate the fact that slavery was so terrible. Forming the NAACP doesn't make it better but its a start. African-Americans can go to college for free, no matter what class. I still stick by what I said about how black people can achieve anything a white person can. You should stop by Toledo, Ohio and maybe you'll see what I mean. I went to a mall and before I even made it to the entrance, a group of black kids were like "Hey, a white girl...." wtf? Its not like I go around saying "Hey a black kid". Why?, because its rude and inethical.
I agree with your last line, taka. Speech is a something we should use responsibly and in an intelligent way. But I do not agree with your statement on white priveleges. Trust me on this, it is social class that matters in the material world, not race.

Anyways, I'm done argueing, well, I wasn't really arguing but I'm done discussing, I guess.

Slavery is not an excuse for blacks to hate whites, and it never was. Your generalizations leave you blindsighted. Simply because you've met a lot of black people who are racist in your life does not define the race as a whole. All you do by saying this is continuing the hate and racial division in this country. If you think about it, there are just as many black people who go through the same thing every day in terms of people who are prejudice against them. Is it fair to them? No. Is it fair to you? No.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm sure the blacks in Toledo, Ohio quite accurately depict all blacks around the entire country (sarcasm)... come out of your sheltered area and maybe you will realize that because the area you live in may have a higher percentage of racist blacks, it does not mean all blacks are this way.

I'll trust you on your theory that social class will inevitably prevail over race, once you've left Toledo and can honestly say that there are no parts of the country where blacks truly are treated badly because of their race... Good luck with that.
10.12.2008 - 03:50
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I've been across the country, my friend. I'm only using Toledo as an example. What I'm trying to say is that Obama entering the white house is like a woman entering the white house. It only tightens the bond of different enthics. And that is a good thing
----
17.12.2008 - 01:13
Stuart
MiseryKing
Obama the same as bush, clinton, reagan, nixon and every other president for the last hundred years, they were all put in power by the corporations and bankers... it doesn't matter who you vote for, the winner has already been chosen and the american public brainwashed... convinced to hate mccain, convinced to like obama, its all crystal clear as day... but who talks about the real issues? nobody whoever gets near power... who can really "change" the world for the better, not obama, not mccain, not anyone who will EVER run for president. they won't allow it to happen, it's all a farce... look to federal reserve if you really want to know who runs america...
17.12.2008 - 04:59
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Stuart on 17.12.2008 at 01:13

Obama the same as bush, clinton, reagan, nixon and every other president for the last hundred years, they were all put in power by the corporations and bankers... it doesn't matter who you vote for, the winner has already been chosen and the american public brainwashed... convinced to hate mccain, convinced to like obama, its all crystal clear as day... but who talks about the real issues? nobody whoever gets near power... who can really "change" the world for the better, not obama, not mccain, not anyone who will EVER run for president. they won't allow it to happen, it's all a farce... look to federal reserve if you really want to know who runs america...

FDR was put in office by a bank? Wow, I never knew that, especially seeing as how he was known for busting corprate scandals. Thank you for that great information.

Yes, I agree, many politicians are swayed in their decisions by funding provided by corperations, and that corperations are the root of the political corruption in this country. They do not, however, run the entire system, and if the American people get too pissed, then in time, something WILL be done. This has been seen over and over again, as you put it, "for the last hundred years."

Oh yeah, Kennedy was also controlled by corperations. lolz.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
17.12.2008 - 21:49
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.12.2008 at 04:59

FDR was put in office by a bank? Wow, I never knew that, especially seeing as how he was known for busting corprate scandals. Thank you for that great information.

Yes, I agree, many politicians are swayed in their decisions by funding provided by corperations, and that corperations are the root of the political corruption in this country. They do not, however, run the entire system, and if the American people get too pissed, then in time, something WILL be done. This has been seen over and over again, as you put it, "for the last hundred years."

No actually Kennedy was the only one to stand up against them, that's why he was assassinated... Again this is the typical mentality, always taking things at face value and never looking any deeper, which is why the USA is the most debt ridden country on the planet... if you want to make a comment which will be taken seriously learn to spell corporations... you have already made up your mind, you're just taking the lies at face value they give you... the federal reserve controls the country's money supply and is the single biggest lender to US government... yet the federal reserve is privately owned by banks who are in turn owned by "private" shareholders. The united states money supply and also it's wealth is all controlled by private individuals who in turn use this power over the funding of political parties for their own agendas. whether it be to destroy rival corporations or manipulate the economy for their own personal gain. there is no democracy in america.

The american people can't do anything about it because the average american is to force-fed with too much superficial crap (to create the consumer society which the corporations need) to be concerned with real issues or to understand them... the political parties won't debate the real issues because the corporations fund both sides... simple as that... the only "change" coming, is for the worse.
17.12.2008 - 22:48
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Stuart on 17.12.2008 at 21:49

Written by Arian Totalis on 17.12.2008 at 04:59

No actually Kennedy was the only one to stand up against them, that's why he was assassinated... Again this is the typical mentality, always taking things at face value and never looking any deeper, which is why the USA is the most debt ridden country on the planet... if you want to make a comment which will be taken seriously learn to spell corporations... you have already made up your mind, you're just taking the lies at face value they give you... the federal reserve controls the country's money supply and is the single biggest lender to US government... yet the federal reserve is privately owned by banks who are in turn owned by "private" shareholders. The united states money supply and also it's wealth is all controlled by private individuals who in turn use this power over the funding of political parties for their own agendas. whether it be to destroy rival corporations or manipulate the economy for their own personal gain. there is no democracy in america.

The american people can't do anything about it because the average american is to force-fed with too much superficial crap (to create the consumer society which the corporations need) to be concerned with real issues or to understand them... the political parties won't debate the real issues because the corporations fund both sides... simple as that... the only "change" coming, is for the worse.

Obviously you don't understand sarcasm. I wouldn't doubt that Kennedy was killeed because a hit was put on him by a corporation. You also don't seem to realize that fundumentally, we both agree on the same thing. Like I said, I am not going to deny that the most amount of corruption in the united states is because of corporate controll. I know how corporations work, I HAVE taken a basic econimics class, and all you need is a basic American History class to figure out that money is historically what has been controlling a large number of politicians since the Industrial revolution, when corporations were beginging their climb to the top of the economic food chain.
We only disagree on one thing, that is that you don't believe that the American people have the power to make a change, and I do. Think about it, if a company wants to continue to sell a product, they have to keep their consumers happy, don't they? Well, when the American people get tired of something, we're not going to stay quiet about it, and we never have. What, do you think that Corporations just magically made us angry when bush spent trillions of dollars on a war that was being fought for imperialistic purpouses? I don't think so. And do you think that we don't care about other issues either? Like international relations and diplomacy? Or environmentalism and innovations in environmental technologies? We obviously do and that's obviously why corporations have even given enough of a shit to make those changes, because the voices of their consumers needed to be quited. As much as I hate to admit it though, that is as far as it goes: a basic satisfaction of the masses to keep them quiet for a while so that way more capitalists up on capitol hill can line their pockets. With enough work on this issue though, this can change. It HAS been changed before. The only prpblem is, loopholes were found and corporate domincance took hold again.

I think that we're way off topic though. PM me if you wanna continue this conversation.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

17.12.2008 - 22:57
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Guest on 05.12.2008 at 02:36

Even then Obama only got 52% of the popular vote...wtf.

Actually, %52 is pretty impressive. Ordinarily it's a %49 vs %51 percent. Getting a 52 is really saying something. The US populous is made up primarily of classical liberals and our political parties only disagree on a few key issues (well, the ones who get representation) so ordinarily the split in parties is almost even, thus why our elections tend to be so close.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

18.12.2008 - 01:19
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Arian Totalis on 17.12.2008 at 22:48

Obviously you don't understand sarcasm. I wouldn't doubt that Kennedy was killeed because a hit was put on him by a corporation. You also don't seem to realize that fundumentally, we both agree on the same thing. Like I said, I am not going to deny that the most amount of corruption in the united states is because of corporate controll. I know how corporations work, I HAVE taken a basic econimics class, and all you need is a basic American History class to figure out that money is historically what has been controlling a large number of politicians since the Industrial revolution, when corporations were beginging their climb to the top of the economic food chain.
We only disagree on one thing, that is that you don't believe that the American people have the power to make a change, and I do. Think about it, if a company wants to continue to sell a product, they have to keep their consumers happy, don't they? Well, when the American people get tired of something, we're not going to stay quiet about it, and we never have. What, do you think that Corporations just magically made us angry when bush spent trillions of dollars on a war that was being fought for imperialistic purpouses? I don't think so. And do you think that we don't care about other issues either? Like international relations and diplomacy? Or environmentalism and innovations in environmental technologies? We obviously do and that's obviously why corporations have even given enough of a shit to make those changes, because the voices of their consumers needed to be quited. As much as I hate to admit it though, that is as far as it goes: a basic satisfaction of the masses to keep them quiet for a while so that way more capitalists up on capitol hill can line their pockets. With enough work on this issue though, this can change. It HAS been changed before. The only prpblem is, loopholes were found and corporate domincance took hold again.

I think that we're way off topic though. PM me if you wanna continue this conversation.

We're not off topic at all, the topic is about the american presidential election. I'm saying that the election is a complete fraud due to the fact that obama was quite clearly "put" into a position where he could win... he didn't work his way there, no presidents do, they are all "chosen" by those other than the american public and then the american public is "persuaded" to elect them (although it doesn't matter too much who they elect because both nominees are chosen by the same organisations). The american public believe they are going against the system and voting for change by electing a black man, until recently a virtual nobody, a man of the people rather than a man of the "system", someone "different" to the usual presidential mould. He was put up against a pathetic candidate (I mean honestly the entire republican party can't be so stupid to think mccain would make a good president), Mccain was chosen to go against obama so that it would be easier for obama to win. Just look at the campaign around obama, the american people think fox news was trying discredit obama when in reality the argument against him was intentionally ridiculous, so that he could be a "victim", thus inducing the public's admiration/sympathy for him. no journalist worth his salt would ever use someone's name as a character assassination, all a careful ploy to "persuade" the american public. remember the media is controlled by corporations too.

So who would do this and why? well the people who have the power to do it is the bankers and corporations, the people who fund government and the eventual policies of the would be president (which they have say over because they're funding it). the people who run these organizations are not stupid, they know what to do when, in order to set in a motion a chain of events which lead to greater wealth and/or any other desired effect (like a war in iraq which costs the government money, but made the bankers and corporations fortunes). The american public voted democrat because of bush and mccain, who put bush and mccain there? the same people who put obama there, all for the purpose of their own interests... no president can ever wield any power with the banking system as it is.

i think it was a particular banker who said: "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes the laws." well it's one better, now they control the money and the law and simply ignore the american constitution and the wise words of the american forefathers who warned against such a system (i sound like a bloody american patriot now).

your comment about the american public having stood up in the past when a system is disagreeable. Not for centuries! You cannot name one single event caused by the american public's outcry or actions which has resulted in an achievement of greater good for the american people or the world. Perhaps in the short term, but in the longer scale of things it's always benefited an elite few only, this current economic crisis is a good example.

You're exactly correct about keeping you customer's happy, give them bush make them full of pride and patriotic then when they realise it's actually doing them harm, to calm them down give someone like obama (although we don't know what their plans with him are yet)... and to keep them really happy make them think they chose obama...

When i say the real issues i don't mean international relations and environmentalism, those are not the real issues, those are symptoms which media tells you are issues and over-exaggerates. Global-warming is just another product they sell. The real issues are more like overpopulation... the fact that the world needs to stop breeding, but of course thats less consumers, (remember corporations make money out of aid for africa to ) or the fact that true capitalism is a time bomb, ultimately leading to virtual slavery...

The american public is incapable of doing anything about it and everyday more and more freedom is being stolen from you... under "terrorism laws"... you tell me what the american public can do about the wealth slowly being collected by the elite? How? you don't carry guns any more like your constitution says you can. what if both your political parties are wrong? who you going vote for then? no independent candidate will ever be given enough media attention grab enough of the country to win, so only the two parties stand a chance. it is impossible to make a change, only the people with money can make a change, only they have any real power.

I will say again, the election is a fraud.
18.12.2008 - 16:37
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on Barack Obama selecting the Rev. Rick Warren, to deliver the invocation at his inauguration?
The evangelical pastor and author of "The Purpose Driven Life," is in a role that positions him to succeed Billy Graham as the nation's pre-eminent minister and reflects the generational changes in the evangelical Christian movement.

Personally, I think this is a rather smart political and social move by Mr. Obama as a way for him to reach out to sections of the American people whom may have not voted for him and to show his hardcore supporters that he has no intention of isolating those who have different opinions than he does. While Mr. Obama and Rev. Warren disagree on some issues such as abortion and gay marriage, I don't feel that should overshadow Rev. Warrens amazing work to end poverty, hunger and AIDS.
----
(space for rent)
19.12.2008 - 06:23
Anthem
For what it is worth Obama used technicalities to eliminate his oposition in the Ill state senate race,. He ran unopposed in the federal ill senate race because of a sex scandal. And he gave a speech in 2004.

He is the most qualified president since George Washington. He has been compared to Jesus, Lincoln, and FDR. and has yet to serve a day as the "President".

All you Europeans within earshot.... He is no Churchill, he is no Thatcher, he is a Marxist!!
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt