Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
24.08.2007 - 07:45
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Syk on 24.08.2007 at 04:48
Yes, thanks, it does help make things easier to read. I'm intrigued why you didn't in the first place though, is it something to do with Croatian?

Arian, can you translate those words in order? Did I see beer in there somewhere?

I don't remember being told i have to do it that way. And if i was, i don't remember.
Just checked out some Croatian forum. Some people do, some don't. On MS also, when it comes to people who are from Croatia, some do, some don't. So i have no idea what ithas to do with.

Since today is another one of my "OMFG let's learn Japanese!!!!" days.. and because i'm bored out of my mind. I'll try translating what Arian said! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Cohee - Could be "koohii", which is coffee
Inpensu - Not sure what that is, but it looks like it could be "enpitsu" which is pencil.If it's not plz tell me what it is.
Tabimasu - This is,i guess "tabemasu" which is eat
Tabimasin - This is probably "tabemasen", which is the same thing as above...i guess
Kaze - I know it's used when you're sick,like "Kaze o hikimasu" - I have a cold. I think it can mean a cold as in the sickness, but it can also mean wind
Mizu - water
Wakarimasu - I understand
Wakarimasu ka - Do you understand?
Wakarimasin - is "wakarimasen" ,which means I don't understand
Beeru - That could be "biiru" which is..duuh beer
Kami - ...paper, i think it has more than one meaning also

I'm boreeeeeeeed, i think i'll go spam some forums somewhere. Since metalstorm is unspamabble... damnit
24.08.2007 - 12:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Deus stupid quasten but what is Banzay in jap language?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
24.08.2007 - 15:45
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 24.08.2007 at 07:45

Written by Syk on 24.08.2007 at 04:48
Yes, thanks, it does help make things easier to read. I'm intrigued why you didn't in the first place though, is it something to do with Croatian?

Arian, can you translate those words in order? Did I see beer in there somewhere?

I don't remember being told i have to do it that way. And if i was, i don't remember.
Just checked out some Croatian forum. Some people do, some don't. On MS also, when it comes to people who are from Croatia, some do, some don't. So i have no idea what ithas to do with.

Since today is another one of my "OMFG let's learn Japanese!!!!" days.. and because i'm bored out of my mind. I'll try translating what Arian said! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Cohee - Could be "koohii", which is coffee
Inpensu - Not sure what that is, but it looks like it could be "enpitsu" which is pencil.If it's not plz tell me what it is.
Tabimasu - This is,i guess "tabemasu" which is eat
Tabimasin - This is probably "tabemasen", which is the same thing as above...i guess
Kaze - I know it's used when you're sick,like "Kaze o hikimasu" - I have a cold. I think it can mean a cold as in the sickness, but it can also mean wind
Mizu - water
Wakarimasu - I understand
Wakarimasu ka - Do you understand?
Wakarimasin - is "wakarimasen" ,which means I don't understand
Beeru - That could be "biiru" which is..duuh beer
Kami - ...paper, i think it has more than one meaning also

Kami means "spirit/god" as well.....

Ok....let's try "Learn Irish Day" now...I'll try it with the same words you did....

Caife - coffee
Peann luaidhe- pencil
Ith - eat
Gaoth - wind
Slaghdán - cold(sickness)
Fuacht - coldness(temperature)
Uisce - water
Tuigim - I understand
An dtuigeann tú? - Do you understand?
Ní thuigim - I don't understand
Beoir - beer
Leann - ale
Páipéar - paper
24.08.2007 - 16:45
Deus Ex Machina
Written by Bad English on 24.08.2007 at 12:52

Banzaii, you mean?

It's just a word you'd use to express your happiness.Same thing as yaaaay!! lol

@ Frodo - Wow....those words sound uber cool. It somehow reminds me of romanian,especially the word for water. Don't ask me why. I don't even know if i'm making sense.

Yes, i know that but whenever i think of the japanese word "God", i never think of the root Kami. I think of Kamisama i just don't think that in regular speech you can say "Kami" and mean "God", without attaching -sama to it.
Anyway, i was taught to say kami-sama, so i do.
24.08.2007 - 16:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 24.08.2007 at 16:45

Written by Bad English on 24.08.2007 at 12:52

Banzaii, you mean?

It's just a word you'd use to express your happiness.Same thing as yaaaay!! lol

Yes I mean it, I saw Jap movie about WWII and when thay was out of ammo thay usesamuray swords and run to US army soldiers try kill then and screem Banzaii
Only think how Im interest in Japan are samurajs and marchal arts, I us eto lear lil jap langauege but I stip after one month, because of boks its hard,
----

apos;'
[image]
24.08.2007 - 17:00
Deus Ex Machina
Yes, that makes sense.It's a term people use nowadays to express happiness i guess. But it can be anything i see. When they were at war. I guess when they yelled that. They meant "charge", as in attack.
24.08.2007 - 17:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 24.08.2007 at 17:00

Yes, that makes sense.It's a term people use nowadays to express happiness i guess. But it can be anything i see. When they were at war. I guess when they yelled that. They meant "charge", as in attack.

In war thay was crazy kamikadze and those suicide bombs, such thinks somehow can damige anamies nerv system damn some way I wanna learn japanish to understand more them phylosophy
----

apos;'
[image]
24.08.2007 - 18:51
Deus Ex Machina
I don't want to sound mean but focus on learning English before you do anything else.
24.08.2007 - 19:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 24.08.2007 at 18:51

I don't want to sound mean but focus on learning English before you do anything else.

Mos mislic I know english but writiung are anoying and ehh I prefere talking how wright,
----

apos;'
[image]
26.08.2007 - 18:33
Remus
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 24.08.2007 at 16:45

@ Frodo - Wow....those words sound uber cool. It somehow reminds me of romanian,especially the word for water. Don't ask me why. I don't even know if i'm making sense.

Water in Romanian is "apa". Doesn't really sound like "uisce" now, does it? As a matter of fact none of those words sound similar to their Romanian counterparts. But then Romanian is a Latin language while Irish is Gaelic or something, but then, you allready knew that....

So actually, you're not making much sense, but who knows what goes on in YOUR head ?
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
26.08.2007 - 21:05
Deus Ex Machina
I didn't actually think that the word sounds like the Romanian word for water, since i don't know what the fuck it is. Or that any of the words sound like their Romanian counterparts, but it did remind me of Romanian for some reason.
Why? I don't know.Probably only me.
But read more carefully next time.
And if you're in any way trying to sound clever, implying i didn't know that,then you fail.
If not.Forget it.

Btw @ Kariasakis LOLWHUT : ))) Mo? mislit maybe? XD You write poorly, so you must speak poorly.
Not meant as an insult but as a fact.
26.08.2007 - 21:11
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Deus Ex Machina on 26.08.2007 at 21:05

Btw @ Kariasakis LOLWHUT : ))) Mo? mislit maybe? XD You write poorly, so you must speak poorly.

Yes I mean it, and I dont speek poorly I can speek good, whit diferent english actents, if I speek poorly how I can survive in Swe?
Drink whit me pelin somehwere in Zagreb and you will see

writeing ... I dont wanna blame my english tecaher, but ok I blame adducation sistem, but I start learn eglish from americam teacher who didnt know latvian , so in age 8-12 only speeking, not writeing you think leitehr ist easy learn it?
----

apos;'
[image]
27.08.2007 - 17:40
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 26.08.2007 at 21:11

Yes I mean it, and I dont speek poorly I can speek good, whit diferent english actents, if I speek poorly how I can survive in Swe?

writeing ... I dont wanna blame my english tecaher, but ok I blame adducation sistem, but I start learn eglish from americam teacher who didnt know latvian , so in age 8-12 only speeking, not writeing you think leitehr ist easy learn it?

All right then....I believe you that you write poorly and speak fluently.....how on earth is this possible then that you make such obvious grammatical mistakes such as saying "how" instead of "than"....btw...please learn that word THAN.....for once!

"I start learn english" this is wrong.....you know what....you have written it correctly....everything's fine with the writing....but you don't speak like that! You CANNOT use PRESENT tense in order to express PAST...and remember that infinitive forms of verbs ARE NOT ALWAYS SUFFICIENT...ok...let me translate....you should write "I started learning English" instead of "start learn english"....

I do believe that people understand when you say "I start learn english" but whether you want it or not....THIS KIND OF SPEAKING IS WRONG!!! Writing like that is also WRONG....even if you spell the words correctly.....

Just in case now....one more thing.....FORGET "HOW"!!! LEARN to use"THAN"!!!!!

Written by Bad English on 26.08.2007 at 21:11

All right then....I believe you that you write poorly and speak fluently.....how on earth is this possible then that you make such obvious grammatical mistakes such as saying "how" instead of "than"....btw...please learn that word THAN.....for once!

"I start learn english" this is wrong.....you know what....you have written it correctly....everything's fine with the writing....but you don't speak like that! You CANNOT use PRESENT tense in order to express PAST...and remember that infinitive forms of verbs ARE NOT ALWAYS SUFFICIENT...ok...let me translate....you should write "I started learning English" instead of "start learn english"....

I do believe that people understand when you say "I start learn english" but whether you want it or not....THIS KIND OF SPEAKING IS WRONG!!! Writing like that is also WRONG....even if you spell the words correctly.....

Just in case now....one more thing.....FORGET "HOW"!!! LEARN to use"THAN"!!!!!

I didn't actually think that the word sounds like the Romanian word for water, since i don't know what the fuck it is. Or that any of the words sound like their Romanian counterparts, but it did remind me of Romanian for some reason.
Why? I don't know.Probably only me.
But read more carefully next time.
And if you're in any way trying to sound clever, implying i didn't know that,then you fail.
If not.Forget it.

How can you say you know how the words in Irish sound? You've never learnt the pronunciation.......

It's difficult to express the sounds with Latin characters.....I do hope you're able to read Cyrillic writing.....

Caife - coffee Кафе/кыфе Café
Peann luaidhe- pencil Пянн луыие Pyann luaye
Ith - eat Их Ij
Gaoth - wind Ги/гыи Giy
Slaghdán - cold(sickness) Сладан Sládán
Fuacht - coldness(temperature) Фуахт Fúajt
Uisce - water Ышьке Y?kye
Tuigim - I understand Тыйгим Tígim
An dtuigeann tú? - Do you understand? Э дыйгянн ту? A dígyann tú?
Ní thuigim - I don't understand Ни хыйгим Ní jígim
Beoir - beer Бёрь Byórj
Leann - ale Льянн Lyann
Páipéar - paper Папер Pápyér

In case you can't read Cyrillic letters I tried to write according to the rules of Spanish language.......it's difficult to describe Irish sounds with Latin characters.....awfully......
Well...anyway....Irish has "soft" and hard "sounds"....for instance the sound R....R is either "hard" as in Spanish or Russian or "soft" like in Russian word "дверь"dvyerj".....you meet correct Irish awfully seldom these days, in fact, since 99.99% of Irish people speak English as first language and they aren't able to make other Rs except the English R.....they also aren't able to make the Õ sound....Irish is awfully difficult for English speakers......Enya is a rare exception....she sings beautiful correct Irish....that's because her first language is Irish....
27.08.2007 - 17:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Frodo - why then ppl hasvnt been problems understand me and WTF in oral englsih exam I get best marks, wht the f... in listening exam)where talk scotish ppl) I get best mark?
----

apos;'
[image]
27.08.2007 - 18:06
Ernis
狼獾
@K7.....I don't know....it's a mystery.....
27.08.2007 - 18:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 27.08.2007 at 18:06

@K7.....I don't know....it's a mystery.....

Well Jason and Arginauts was mystery too... so mysteries are in world and seems me too
----

apos;'
[image]
27.08.2007 - 19:47
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
I have a question for all of you: is it true that the word for "water" has an "a" in all Indo-European languages? My Norwegian teacher is convinced of this, and I am still searching for an exception...

As far as I know,
Catalan/Valencian/Balear -> aigua
English -> water
French -> eau
Galician -> auga
German -> Wasser
Italian -> acqua
Latin -> aqua
Norwegian -> vann
Spanish -> agua
27.08.2007 - 20:01
I speak English, but have tried to learn Japanese. I gave it up for a bit, and now that I'm back at school, I think I'll get back into it.
27.08.2007 - 20:08
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Taktsekte on 27.08.2007 at 19:47

I have a question for all of you: is it true that the word for "water" has an "a" in all Indo-European languages? My Norwegian teacher is convinced of this, and I am still searching for an exception...

As far as I know,
English -> water
French -> eau
Galician -> auga
German -> Wasser
Italian -> acqua
Latin -> aqua
Norwegian -> vann
Spanish -> agua

Your teacher must be wrong then....

Irish is Indo-European....

the Irish word for water is "uisce" and the Scottish one is "uisge".....no A anywhere.....
27.08.2007 - 20:35
Taktsekte
Your Ad Here!
Written by Ernis on 27.08.2007 at 20:08

Written by Taktsekte on 27.08.2007 at 19:47

As far as I know,
English -> water
French -> eau
Galician -> auga
German -> Wasser
Italian -> acqua
Latin -> aqua
Norwegian -> vann
Spanish -> agua

Your teacher must be wrong then....

Irish is Indo-European....

the Irish word for water is "uisce" and the Scottish one is "uisge".....no A anywhere.....

Alright, problem solved.
29.08.2007 - 16:23
Hyvaarin
Written by Bad English on 27.08.2007 at 17:56

@Frodo - why then ppl hasvnt been problems understand me

I don't want this to turn into an "everyone gang up on K7" thread, but I often have a hard time understanding you. Focus on learning verb conjugation, the word "than" and TYPE ATTENTIVELY .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
29.08.2007 - 16:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Hyvaarin on 29.08.2007 at 16:23

I don't want this to turn into an "everyone gang up on K7" thread, but I often have a hard time understanding you. Focus on learning verb conjugation, the word "than" and TYPE ATTENTIVELY .

I mean talking/speeking not wrtiting and I dont understand when ppl from uk srat talk like this

''HiM8 wus up or something simmilar''
----

apos;'
[image]
29.08.2007 - 17:32
Hyvaarin
Written by Bad English on 29.08.2007 at 16:39

Written by Hyvaarin on 29.08.2007 at 16:23

I mean talking/speeking not wrtiting and I dont understand when ppl from uk srat talk like this

''HiM8 wus up or something simmilar''

If you can't write with correct grammar, you can't speak with it. Fair point about slang and stuff, but grammar's the main thing we're talking about.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
29.08.2007 - 18:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Hyvaarin - main think are comunicate and I can di it well, only english talking ppl say it about grammer other nations understand it
----

apos;'
[image]
30.08.2007 - 19:07
Baz Anderson
Staff
30.08.2007 - 21:26
Linak
I Own You Bitch
Oh this is interesting interesting, I personally love learning a new language, and you might expect after this statement that I might actually say I speak over 5 of them but alas, I don't.

My mother language is Spanish of course, sadly I don't speak it very well, I avoid difficult verbs in complicated tenses and I am one to believe that you can express whatever you want using the words 'egg', 'mother', 'c*ck', 'fart' amongst other few. So evidently yes, my spoken Spanish is limited.

After which comes English, I started learning since I was very little, around 3 or 4 I guess, and did not stop until very recently. I guess it's okay isn't it? At least is understandable unlike some little pee bags who can't spell a sentence correctly to save their lives... but I am not pointing at anyone in particular.

Anyway, I took French lessons for over 6 years and I could never really speak it. I am sure I can read it, both because of the classes and because it is quite similar to Spanish, but as far as speaking goes, I'm a disgrace.

In highschool I started learning Japanese, I am quite proud of the progress I achieved in such a short time actually, I was so passionate about it that I learnt the two alphabets in less than one month which sent my teacher on a murderous rampage against my (and I quote) 'less persistent, lazy-ass classmates' bwaha, and well, I also started taking lessons on Saturdays, which added another 5 hours to my study per week. After highschool I joined a Japanese Academy in the afternoons while I studied the career of translator and interpreter in the mornings, but not 6 months after I had to quit.

Now I am living in China, learning Chinese heh ^^, I was taking Chinese classes at the University as an extra course until I received the information that it was cheaper for me to study in China than actually continue in that university, which I loathed since the very first day. I have been here for about 6 months now, which has pretty much erased the little Japanese and French I ever learnt, except for the dirty phrases on both languages, which I will never, ever forget.

Since I've been here I've been in touch with people from all around the world who have taught me some very interesting things to say in their own languages, I have to say my favorite of those which I haven't studied are Portuguese (from Portugal, no offense to my beloved brazilian ass-sisters), Arabic and Korean, but Korean is just so complicated, and after studying Japanese and Chinese, learning another alphabet would make my head explode. Oh well, who knows what'll come after, but here's the thing, I won't quit on Chinese, not until I get a certain gorgeous Chinese man I know to admit my Chinese is decent enough to talk my way into his bed, again bwahaha, I'm joking...
----
Stick this up your fucking pee-aitch-dee.
31.08.2007 - 01:45
Anathemani@c
I do only speak english well.. I do only know some really basic things in german and in spanish... I do hate french and I dont know why.. LOL! Also, i d love to learn spanish one day... Even if Aylee_Bodom is trying hard to learn me some ....! Hehe...!
----
Trapped in time
A miracle of hope and change
A swirling mass, no mercy now
If the truth hurts prepare for pain
......Do you think we 're forever???
31.08.2007 - 01:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Anathemani@c on 31.08.2007 at 01:45

I do only speak english well.. I do only know some really basic things in german and in spanish... I do hate french and I dont know why.. LOL! Also, i d love to learn spanish one day... Even if Aylee_Bodom is trying hard to learn me some ....! Hehe...!

But you know languege what I wanna learn
----

apos;'
[image]
31.08.2007 - 17:48
Dekadance
Account deleted
I speak Russian and English (obviously)
I understand Polish and Ukranian and french(I used to speak it, though i truly hate that language with passion)

Other than that, i think it'd be pretty awesome to speek German or Portuguese
31.08.2007 - 22:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Author on 31.08.2007 at 17:48

I speak Russian and English (obviously)
I understand Polish and Ukranian
Other than that, i think it'd be pretty awesome to speek German or Portuguese

Me too, I understand ex yugo, bulgarian, ukraian , but Pol, Cz, Svk are moust complicated of slavonic langueges, I can get only into them in music and football contest
----

apos;'
[image]