Metal Storm logo
Languages You Speak/Would Like To Speak/Are Learning

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 18.08.2007 - 17:35
The idea is simple... Talk about the languages you speak, and the ones you would like to learn. What are they? Why do you like them? What is that you don't like about them? How and where did you learn them? What is your mother language?

Personally...

- (As you *might* have noticed) I speak English. Not really well, but I think I can say I know the basis. But it is not my first language: French is. I don't want to sound pretentious or anything, but I speak French really well. Yet, it is the third language I learnt.
- My mother language is Arabic, it was the first one I learnt as I am Moroccan and was born in Morocco. But my parents speak French more than Arabic, and I started going to a French school when I was 5, thus, I started forgetting Arabic. I was still as able to understand it as before, but I couldn't speak it anymore, past my 8th birthday. (Some other important factors were involded, but it is not necessary to mention them.)
- The second language I learnt was Spanish, because of/thanks to Spanish TV channels and my grandmother, who only spoke Spanish and Arabic. But when we left the city where we were living (Tanger, just in front of Spain), I stopped watching Spanish channels, and left my grandmother as well, and then, forgot Spanish too .
- That's when French comes. It became my first language around 8. As the French school system wants it, I started learning English at 11. And I unexpectedly didn't have any difficulty with it. I have always had the best mark in that subject, without making any effort for that. Unfortunately it is still not enough. I realised my level was not as good as I thought it was.
- The next year, (I was 12) I chose Latin, but I had to stop after a few months, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to start Spanish the following year. I started re-learning Spanish at 13.
- But since I took Spanish at 13, I couldn't take German at 15. I had too many subjects and the teachers wouldn't let me add German. Yet it is the language I really want to learn. I like the sonority of it, and I watch German TV channels just to hear it, even if I don't get a word of it .
- As a consequence, the two languages I can speak the best are French, and English.

As you see the topic is vast, there is a lot to say...
03.09.2007 - 18:44
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Mother tongue is Danish.
Had German in school a long time ago and was decent at it, but didn't use it for a couple of years and now I only understand basic sentences. Same thing with French eventhough I've forgotten more of this than German.
Norweigian is pretty similar to Danish so it's not a big problem. Swedish is a little harder, but I usually get the point.
I would love to learn Arabic or Japanese, but haven't got the time. Also English with Scottish accent would be cool
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
03.09.2007 - 18:59
Lupas
Maximus
It seems that K7 is the victim round here , but K7 is that person that everyone wants here . He makes all of us a free lang lesson every time he wrote here
But talking seriously K7 , try to use firefox , there is an option that highlight a spelling mistake . Maybe this could help you
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
03.09.2007 - 22:08
Ernis
狼獾
Written by APOHAKC on 03.09.2007 at 18:00

I wasn't talking about K7

We can\t translate the sentence until K7 has tried to translate himself since he's supposed to know Serbian/Croatian as he claims......this sentence is without a translation at the moment purely on educational purposes....I'm sure Wrath will understand....we'll guarantee that the correct translation is already on its way....
06.09.2007 - 00:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Aronax Cervena Zvezda silovajet Partizana, and yep know one slavonic an dcan understad all, about silovanje maybe in bakste you can win us but not football same whit PAOKARA
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.09.2007 - 01:43
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Bad English on 06.09.2007 at 00:39

Aronax Cervena Zvezda silovajet Partizana, and yep know one slavonic an dcan understad all, about silovanje maybe in bakste you can win us but not football same whit PAOKARA

Nope
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.09.2007 - 01:51
Deus Ex Machina
lol why do you always write Cervena instead of Crvena?

Your little sentence is beyond wrong.
Keep working them braincells Kariasakis. Be a busy bee

Anyway, cool that you're learning stuff but take it one language at a time.It takes a lot of work and dedication to learn a language properly and none of the slavic languages are easy. And the grammar is much bitchier than english and a lot of other languages so take your time.
Writing wrong sentences really doesn't help to prove your knowledge.

Better knowing 2 foreign languages perfectly than dabbling in 6 of them and ending up mixing it all.
06.09.2007 - 13:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Aronax but OSFP will win PAOK, in foot and basket Paokara ha sno chance whit us
same whit Zvezda --> Boja do pobedi, do crvi(blood)

@Deus well dunno bad habits die hard and NO slavic langauge are easy, more easyer how german grammer BTW and im to bussy whit alco not learn langauges
I understand what I need and I dont wanna make me busy and tired
----

apos;'
[image]
06.09.2007 - 18:31
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Bad English on 06.09.2007 at 13:39

@Aronax but OSFP will win PAOK, in foot and basket Paokara ha sno chance whit us

Oh man, crvi mean worms, maggots krv is blood

Anyway, take a quick look at the table

ooo Paokara...
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
06.09.2007 - 22:02
Ernis
狼獾
Written by APOHAKC on 06.09.2007 at 18:31

Written by Bad English on 06.09.2007 at 13:39

Oh man, crvi mean worms, maggots krv is blood

That's called K7 typing....he creates pidgin languages of his own out of every possible language....at least it seems so......
12.09.2007 - 15:59
gothvampire
Account deleted
i would like to try speaking spanish, french, italian and korean language...Ü
16.09.2007 - 23:57
?Master?
Account deleted
i speak spanish, english n idk if pig latin is considered a language
regardless... i wanna learn french bad hahha anything u say in french sounds sexy
i could say ima take a shit n itd sound cool lmao
n i wanna learn german
17.09.2007 - 17:17
April.Ethereal87
Account deleted
I speak English, and a small bit of German and Italian.
Im in the process of starting to learn to speak Norwegian, but finding time to do so on my own has proven to be difficult with school and 2 jobs.
One of these days i'll learn.
17.09.2007 - 17:54
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
Meh I can hold a convo in German, and of course I can speak English considering where I live. I would like to learn to speak more Germanic languages (Dunsk, Finnish, etc...) and possibly even learn Japanese just so I don't have to wait so long for people to translate the anime I watch.
17.09.2007 - 17:57
Hyvaarin
I'm not so sure that Finnish is a Germanic language.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
17.09.2007 - 21:35
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Author on 17.09.2007 at 17:54

Meh I can hold a convo in German, and of course I can speak English considering where I live. I would like to learn to speak more Germanic languages (Dunsk, Finnish, etc...) and possibly even learn Japanese just so I don't have to wait so long for people to translate the anime I watch.

If you say that Finnish is a Germanic language then you shouldn't forget that Chinese is a Romance language closely related to French and Italian.....natürlich...
17.09.2007 - 21:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

FINISh dont belongs do german langauge froop, it belongs to fenno-Hungarian(dunno corect name in english) there are finish, karelian, estonian, hungarian, liv and other small languages
----

apos;'
[image]
17.09.2007 - 21:37
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 17.09.2007 at 21:35

If you say that Finnish is a Germanic language then you shouldn't forget that Chinese is a Romance language closely related to French and Italian.....natürlich...

Yes and greek are slavic

How calls that langauge groop in eglish where belong finish ? fenno-hungarian
----

apos;'
[image]
17.09.2007 - 21:41
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 17.09.2007 at 21:36

FINISh dont belongs do german langauge froop, it belongs to fenno-Hungarian(dunno corect name in english) there are finish, karelian, estonian, hungarian, liv and other small languages

AND YOU!!!

Finnish doesn't belong to Germanic language group, it belongs to Finno-Ugric language group which is a part of the Uralic language family where are, for instance, Finnish, Karelian, Estonian, Hungarian, Livonian, Mari, Mordovian, Udmurt and other languages....
17.09.2007 - 21:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 17.09.2007 at 21:41

Written by Bad English on 17.09.2007 at 21:36

AND YOU!!!

Finnish doesn't belong to Germanic language group, it belongs to Finno-Ugric language group which is a part of the Uralic language family where are, for instance, Finnish, Karelian, Estonian, Hungarian, Livonian, Mari, Mordovian, Udmurt and other languages....

I KNOW IT AND I KNOW IT SINCE I WAS 8 YEARS OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I never had say such bulshit about langauges, NEVER and never will say it!!!
----

apos;'
[image]
17.09.2007 - 21:44
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Bad English on 17.09.2007 at 21:37

Written by Ernis on 17.09.2007 at 21:35

Yes and greek are slavic

How calls that langauge groop in eglish where belong finish ? fenno-hungarian

Greek is actually rather close to Slavic.....they are both Indo-European and Slavic, Celtic and Italic and Greek languages are connected....they are closer to each other than Germanic languages for instance which are actually Indo-European as well but Germanic languages arrived in Western Europe later....
And Greek is the source of the Cyrillic alphabet.....this means that your statement is a little bit out of place here....Greek and Slavic languages groups have the same roots....

Written by Bad English on 17.09.2007 at 21:43

I KNOW IT AND I KNOW IT SINCE I WAS 8 YEARS OLD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I never had say such bulshit about langauges, NEVER and never will say it!!!

Now...calm down....
THIS is what you wrote....

THIS is what you should've written....

LANGUAGE FROOP?! WHAT KIND OF WORDS ARE THESE?! FROOP!!!! wtf

DONT BELONGS!!!! SHE ARE!!!! I START LEARN YESTERDAY!!!

These aren't even spelling disorders any more....this is incorrect grammar! And people may smile and understand you but they're too polite to mend your mistakes all the time....

That's was called ispravlenie oshibok(you know Russian....translate it...)
18.09.2007 - 04:19
Judas
The Amputator
Actually, Frodo, you are wrong too, because you forgot to include the requisite articles before the names of the language groups. I don't think "where are" can be used either, as it is an interrogative sentence fragment. Thus, the statement should be:

"Finnish doesn't belong to the Germanic language group, it belongs to the Finno-Ugric language group, which is a part of the Uralic language family which includes, for instance, Finnish, Karelian, Estonian, Hungarian, Livonian, Mari, Mordovian, Udmurt and other languages."

You're usually very good with your typing, but tell me, have you ever heard of a full stop (a period in American English)? If so, kindly use it at the end of a finite clause that is not joined to another clause by either a conjunction, comma or semi-colon. Ellipses do not serve this purpose in English. This is something that's been irritating me for a while now.

As for K7, well, as I've said before, I'm at the point where I can accept that he's never going to have any sort of proficiency in English or motivation to learn it properly. I can read 'K7 English' well enough now, so it doesn't bother me too much. I won't deny that it will make my year if I see a single correct sentence written by him, but I'd definitely have long odds on such a phenomenon ever occurring.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.09.2007 - 17:58
legend_destroyer
Account deleted
@ Judas
wow that was way too much proper english for use on the internet XD

As for my previous error I have to say I was wrong but where as I want to learn finnish I also would like to learn swedish , norwegian and danish, those are the languages I would rather learn to speak. which are all germanic in nature. http://softrat.home.mindspring.com/germanic.html

@Frodo
man I've been looking (not for very long) but under the list of romantic languages I don't see chinese anywhere. matter of a fact i do believe the chinese dialect is almost as old as the roman language. http://www.orbilat.com/General_Survey/List_of_Romance_Languages.html
18.09.2007 - 18:22
Ernis
狼獾
@Judas...thanks for correcting my errors....I admit my grammar has started its decline since I don't study this language any longer and I never will....dots? Nah, I love the dots too much to give them up just because of proper punctuation....my dots serve as breathing/thinking pauses...

@legend_destroyer.....sorry, I was being ironic....

Good luck with Finnish studies....on the other hand, it's an awfully complicated language....not to speak of the pronunciation which, I believe, must be almost impossible to master for English-speakers....but one can always try....
18.09.2007 - 18:41
Judas
The Amputator
@Frodo: Alright, I guess if you really don't want to give up using ellipses then I can pardon you! That's another thing that has served as an identifying feature of MS for me, now that I think of it! How did you learn Gaelic, incidentally? I'm not aware of a large Irish presence in Estonia!

@Everyone: Does anyone know where I can find a Persian to English dictionary where the Persian words are not in Nasta'liq script? I can't read Nasta'liq, even though Urdu is written using it and I can speak Urdu. I'm researching the influx of Persian words into Hindi through Urdu, so I can learn it to a reasonable level before I travel to Iran next December (hopefully, if the US hasn't invaded).
----
18.09.2007 - 19:44
Ernis
狼獾
My first contact with this language was when I was rather small and stupid....this was too difficult for me back then...

But I picked it up in high school and right now I guess I have better Irish than an average Irishman....I know some Irish people for instance and I'm able to speak the language(with the help of the dictionary)....my grammar sucks but well....I hope I'll improve....
I listened to Irish tapes and read the textbooks and grammar sites and all that shite....and I love Enya and Clannad and their pronunciation of the language....usually Anglo-Irish people suck at pronunciation.......They aren't able to make all these sounds....For instance, Irish language has clean vocals, but English has diphtongs....those, who speak English as first language(99.99% of population) say the vocals as diphtongs, the English way....Irish has two types of R...R as in Spanish word "perro" and as in Russian word "дверь"....English-speaking people aren't able to say either of them....they use the English language R instead....Irish language has soft and hard consonants.....English has aspirated consonants....English-speaking people can't produce the required sounds....whether the consonant is soft or hard, they still say it the one way...the English way.....

Thus English slaughters all languages....believe me....I've heard how English-speaking actors who play Russians in films, attempt to speak "Russian"....it's as awful as Irish people are speaking Irish today.....their tongues don't bend to speak it....
18.09.2007 - 23:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ernis on 18.09.2007 at 19:44

Thus English slaughters all languages....believe me....I've heard how English-speaking actors who play Russians in films, attempt to speak "Russian"....it's as awful as Irish people are speaking Irish today.....their tongues don't bend to speak it....

How thay speell Crvena Zvezda or Stipe Pletiko?a in eurospot I geta heartattack
----

apos;'
[image]
18.09.2007 - 23:46
Torelli

Thus English slaughters all languages....believe me....

It actually depends on what type of english it is. If it's shottish english, australian english, american english or just common english from England. Personally, I think swedish with an english-english accent is quite sharming. Unfortunally I can't say the same about american-swedish (sorry to all americans out there).
18.09.2007 - 23:56
Ernis
狼獾
Written by Torelli on 18.09.2007 at 23:46

It actually depends on what type of english it is. If it's shottish english, australian english, american english or just common english from England. Personally, I think swedish with an english-english accent is quite sharming. Unfortunally I can't say the same about american-swedish (sorry to all americans out there).

An Irishman or a Scottish person may speak English with an accent but when it comes to speaking the Irish or Scottish language itself, then the person isn't able to do it.....English...even with an accent(the accent developed during centuries in the local area....if an Irishman speaks English with Irish accent, it doesn't mean he can speak Irish....he just speaks a version of English common to his area....)kills the ability for correct pronunciation....
He may speak with a broad Scottish voice, but when it comes to the language itself, then he'll say "deynta" instead of "déanta".....that's because his first language is English....
19.09.2007 - 00:13
Torelli
Written by Ernis on 18.09.2007 at 23:56

An Irishman or a Scottish person may speak English with an accent but when it comes to speaking the Irish or Scottish language itself, then the person isn't able to do it.....English...even with an accent(the accent developed during centuries in the local area....if an Irishman speaks English with Irish accent, it doesn't mean he can speak Irish....he just speaks a version of English common to his area....)kills the ability for correct pronunciation....
He may speak with a broad Scottish voice, but when it comes to the language itself, then he'll say "deynta" instead of "déanta".....that's because his first language is English....

But that was not what I was refering to. Bad of me to take the shottish people as an example as the also have a language of their own. What I mean is that you will hear a diffrent kind of accent from a british person speaking a foreign language then a american person doing so. Sure, you will hear that they both have english as their mother tounge, but you will also hear some diffrences. brittish people for example normaly tend to speak with a softer pronouncation then an american who tends to have a "rougher" pronouncation instead. At least I interpret it in this way, I guess it's up to the listener.
19.09.2007 - 09:03
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Torelli on 19.09.2007 at 00:13

Written by Ernis on 18.09.2007 at 23:56

But that was not what I was refering to. Bad of me to take the shottish people as an example as the also have a language of their own. What I mean is that you will hear a diffrent kind of accent from a british person speaking a foreign language then a american person doing so. Sure, you will hear that they both have english as their mother tounge, but you will also hear some diffrences. brittish people for example normaly tend to speak with a softer pronouncation then an american who tends to have a "rougher" pronouncation instead. At least I interpret it in this way, I guess it's up to the listener.

English doesn't have as many sounds as other languages, hence native English speakers usually can't produce all the different ones. For example, in Tamil (South Indian language, Dravidian language family) the word for 'banana' is impossible to reproduce in any Latin characters whatsoever. It can be approximated (very roughly) to 'wallyapallyam' but if you said that then it's still totally wrong. The 'w' is like a mix between 'hw' and 'v', and the 'llya' is totally impossible for anyone who hasn't grown up speaking it (imagine Spanish 'll' as in 'paella' with a touch of 'jh', 'z' and an English 'y' as in 'yellow'... crazy, I know). Tamil is one hell of a tongue-twisting language, and even more so when you have my dad's family dialect which is heavily influenced by Sanskrit...

But back to accents, when foreigners speak English they have accents too, as you all know. So, it does work both ways, but in English the problems usually arise with complex grammar rather than specific pronunciations. As for the British having softer ways of talking, well, some British accents are horrible, trust me. While I don't think anything is quite as awful as the Texan drawl (thanks largely to George Bush, but anyway), other accents do come close!
----