Disc II
01. Darkest Hour
02. Death Of The Celts
03. The Parchment
04. Hell On Earth

The Best Heavy Metal Album & The Biggest Letdown Of 2021
Featured in "Getting Into: Iron Maiden"

Additional info
Recorded at Guillaume Tell Studio, Paris, France, in 2019.
Mastered at Table of Tone Mastering Ltd.

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
For 15 years I have awaited a worthy sequel to A Matter Of Life And Death, and after a couple of suboptimal offerings in a row, I began to despair that Iron Maiden had succumbed to the solipsistic lethargy that eclipses so many titans of their stature and longevity.

Read more ››
published 11.09.2021 | Comments (16)

Found in 68 lists
Top lists

Comments page 7 / 8

Comments: 221   Visited by: 1553 users
25.08.2022 - 05:32
Rating: 3
sgtrobo
Written by Neoxx07 on 30.09.2021 at 03:28

Same as Book of souls, weak as fuck.

you're overrating Senjutsu substantially here

how does this turd have an 8.1 rating, when that would barely put it just outside this year's top 10?
sweet mother of mercy, 159 people rated this 'perfect'

Unreal.
06.09.2022 - 21:27
Rating: 4
JHK
Wauw, 5 new profiles were created within an hour the same day and all of them just happened to upvote Iron Maiden and Helloween, while giving everything else the lowest possible score.
06.09.2022 - 21:39
Rating: 7
JoHn Doe
Written by JHK on 06.09.2022 at 21:27

Wauw, 5 new profiles were created within an hour the same day and all of them just happened to upvote Iron Maiden and Helloween, while giving everything else the lowest possible score.

that's rating abuse, it should be reported.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
07.09.2022 - 08:47
nikarg
Staff
Dozens of multi-accounts have been created to give this album a 10. All of them will be deleted when I find the time, both the accounts and the ratings. You know who you are, and the only thing you have achieved is that the album's overall rating will be significantly dropped when I am done with you. Mind you, I am also banning all the IPs so that you never come back again. Congratulations for being a super fucking waste of my time.

Update: Over 150 multi-accounts had been created since July. We are talking about one dedicated motherfucker; they were even creating new accounts while I was deleting the older ones. All the accounts are now banned and the ratings deleted. I will be keeping an eye on this one. Thanks to JoneHK for bringing this to our attention.
07.09.2022 - 15:16
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
07.09.2022 - 15:50
A Real Mönkey
B R U H
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
07.09.2022 - 15:55
Zap
What even is the point... they're all going to be deleted anyway.
07.09.2022 - 16:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Sorry I went off the rails guys. I just love Iron Maiden.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.09.2022 - 16:32
Rating: 8
Metal Rasputin
I can't believe there's some guy who casually wastes his and other people's valuable time and money by creating hundreds of fake accounts just to troll some random website relatively few people even use to begin with. Literally anything else would be more useful than this.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
07.09.2022 - 21:17
Rating: 5
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Did the rating just drop from 8.2 to 7.8? How many accounts did this guy have?
Edit: oh I see the update of nikarg's post - 150 - wow
07.09.2022 - 21:55
IBlackened
Seriously, why do people do that? I just can't understand why someone would give a shit about ratings.
----
Their old stuff is better.
09.09.2022 - 06:30
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
I would find it funny if those sort of accounts were made by the bands themselves.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.09.2022 - 15:45
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by M C Vice on 09.09.2022 at 06:30

I would find it funny if those sort of accounts were made by the bands themselves.

Well since it's Iron Maiden that'd be hard to believe. Maybe if it was a more obscure russian female fronted nu metal band or something
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.09.2022 - 22:50
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Karlabos on 09.09.2022 at 15:45

Written by M C Vice on 09.09.2022 at 06:30

Well since it's Iron Maiden that'd be hard to believe. Maybe if it was a more obscure russian female fronted nu metal band or something

I could see Sharon Osbourne making accounts to lower the non Ozzy Sabbath albums. Or Axl Rose doing the same with Slash's albums.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
12.09.2022 - 16:47
Rating: 4
JHK
Clearly this guy just wont give up. The following profiles, with the same modus operandi as before, were just created in an another attempt to save the honor of Iron Maiden: JurdoTapp, BlackZagne, Betra, JemLoberdi, MitriTorde.
12.09.2022 - 16:53
JoHn Doe
Written by JHK on 12.09.2022 at 16:47

Clearly this guy just wont give up. The following profiles, with the same modus operandi as before, were just created in an another attempt to save the honor of Iron Maiden: JurdoTapp, BlackZagne, Betra, JemLoberdi, MitriTorde.

report these users and their rating abuse if you please
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
12.09.2022 - 18:10
nikarg
Staff
Let them create as many accounts as they want, everything they do will be deleted anyway. The posts, the album votes, the PMs, everything. Please report on this thread or PM me, and let's leave this space for discussion on Senjutsu. Enough with the morons, we have given them way more attention than they deserve.
12.09.2022 - 20:05
A Real Mönkey
I’d say we’ve given this album more attention than it deserves.
----
"Change the world. My final message. Goodbye."

~Last words of Harambe, seconds before he was shot, according to child he shielded from gunfire
12.09.2022 - 20:46
Redel
Written by A Real Mönkey on 12.09.2022 at 20:05

I’d say we’ve given this album more attention than it deserves.

Though sadly most of the attention here recently was most probably addressed to the dumbness of specific users rather than to the album itself.
14.09.2022 - 15:15
Written by sgtrobo on 25.08.2022 at 05:32

how does this turd have an 8.1 rating, when that would barely put it just outside this year's top 10?

Unreal.

The same way you gave a "10" to Consecration Of The Spiritüs Flesh by Esoctrilihum... An album that can cause painful diarrhea.

What's wrong with internet?
14.09.2022 - 15:23
JoHn Doe
Written by Hufflepuffolo on 14.09.2022 at 15:15

Unreal.

The same way you gave a "10" to Consecration Of The Spiritüs Flesh by Esoctrilihum... An album that can cause painful diarrhea.

one man's masterpiece can be another's crap I guess. it's that simple...
----
14.09.2022 - 20:10
Copernicus
This album is just horrible...guys, please just stop making new music
15.09.2022 - 05:52
sgtrobo

Unreal.

you gave Senjutsu a 10. It is, quite easily, the worst release from Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson. Laughable. I gave a 10 to Esoctrilihum because it's incredible, unique, and creative. Senjutsu is stale, repetitious, boring, and yawn-inducing. If music gives you diarrhea, that probably points to an emotional and mental issue that hopefully can be worked on through counseling.
Get help.
15.09.2022 - 08:02
Written by sgtrobo on 15.09.2022 at 05:52

Unreal.

you gave Senjutsu a 10. It is, quite easily, the worst release from Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson. Laughable. I gave a 10 to Esoctrilihum because it's incredible, unique, and creative. Senjutsu is stale, repetitious, boring, and yawn-inducing. If music gives you diarrhea, that probably points to an emotional and mental issue that hopefully can be worked on through counseling.
Get help.

Ok champ
15.09.2022 - 08:06
Esoctrilihum incredible... FFS... Singer has a permanent constipation
16.09.2022 - 00:38
sgtrobo

Unreal.

wow. the mods go through and delete all the bogus accounts, and all of a sudden the rating drops half a point and instead of 159 'perfect' ratings, it has 81
07.02.2023 - 21:57
Rating: 6
Dead In Hell
This may be the most perfectly average album ever made.

Respect to Maiden for still doing the thing. The performances are good and I'm sure they're still a blast on stage. But this material is deeply uninspiring.
12.04.2023 - 06:56
Rating: 6
dingobattler
Written by Dead In Hell on 07.02.2023 at 21:57

This may be the most perfectly average album ever made.

Respect to Maiden for still doing the thing. The performances are good and I'm sure they're still a blast on stage. But this material is deeply uninspiring.

IIRC, their ambition has always been to be one of those pretentious prog bands (crimson king, pink floyd, etc.) all along, which started from 7th son onwards. That's how you end up with so many 10min+ songs in this album, all the prog bands have these pretentious low energy songs everyone pretends is deep and meaningful.

The first 6 albums were as deep as a puddle, trooper was about a trooper in the civil war, aces high was about a WWII pilot, etc.

Compare to writing on the wall, instead about it literally being about daniel in the bible, its about social upheaval against the ruling elite. Hell on earth instead about being about doom3d, is a message about vanity and selfishness. Its good they've grown up in their lyrics and all.

However, what they forget is their roots. They became big off blue collar workers and fantasy/sci-fi nerds. People who want to hear about icarus or how dinosaurs roamed the earth with cavemen (which they didn't, but who cares). People want to escape, there's a million bands out there with interpretive lyrics. It's not hard, even Britney Spears did it. What's lacking is bands who will sing about dudes duelling in medieval times, or a clairvoyant putting gypsy curses on people.

Exact same issue with a lot of great bands like linkin park. Sometimes you just want to hear about teenage angst of getting grounded for not doing your chores, rather than pushing the limit with complex metal and musical ensemble. Same with black sabbath. Writing about how the devil falls in love and naming your song after you band member's goatee is shallow, but infinitely more interesting than some artsy fartsy prog metal bullshit.
11.07.2023 - 11:18
Rating: 8
s(AINT)
Congrats to this album for hitting Gold in the UK! 🤘
11.08.2023 - 16:01
Rating: 5
24emd
Theory Snob
Huh I just realised I never posted here. Oh well, nothing much left to say about it. Only this - when it first came out I figured out "Days of Future Past" on guitar and uploaded a gp tab to ultimate-guitar.com, only to go back forth for weeks in a huge argument with this dude who thought there were two hammer-on's in the first phrase of the opening riff. It was clearly one. Hilarious moment though.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums

Hits total: 25741 | This month: 38